daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #1541
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Downtown Business Development

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:39 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #1542
ToledoProgrammer

Likes (Received): 0

I wanted to go to this, however, I had some other things planned that I needed to get done. I hope there is a recap of it in the paper or on the LC website.
ToledoProgrammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #1543
ilovetoledo

I couldnt exactly find the report on it on Fox Toledo's website but they recapped the meeting. Buisnesses downtown want a tax free downtown. OUR COUNCIL PRESIDENT Michael Ashford didnt like the idea go figure. Wasnt he the only one to vote down the council vote to loan money for Southwyck Redevelopment? This is who we want to be the head of our council? I think that the tax free zone is crucial to bringing the buisnesses back. People complain that there is nothing to do downtown so give us something to do. And most importantly ADVERTISE IT so we know you are there. I dont understand why we cant do a tax free downtown for a year and see if buisnesses start popping up...
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #1544
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoledo View Post
I couldnt exactly find the report on it on Fox Toledo's website but they recapped the meeting. Buisnesses downtown want a tax free downtown. OUR COUNCIL PRESIDENT Michael Ashford didnt like the idea go figure. Wasnt he the only one to vote down the council vote to loan money for Southwyck Redevelopment? This is who we want to be the head of our council? I think that the tax free zone is crucial to bringing the buisnesses back. People complain that there is nothing to do downtown so give us something to do. And most importantly ADVERTISE IT so we know you are there. I dont understand why we cant do a tax free downtown for a year and see if buisnesses start popping up...
Michael Ashford is no longer the president of council since the beginning of January and he is an utter fool in my book. Mark Szobcak is currently the president.
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:36 AM   #1545
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoProgrammer View Post
I wanted to go to this, however, I had some other things planned that I needed to get done. I hope there is a recap of it in the paper or on the LC website.
Nothing in the Tuesday's paper and I'm quite surprised they didn't cover it.
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #1546
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Mall Redevelopment UPDATE

Developer, Mayor to Pursue Southwyck Deal
Travel to Kansas City This Week
Posted on WSPD 1370 AM Newsradio website 2/26/08

Developer Larry Dillin and Toledo Mayor Carty Finkbeiner travel to Kansas City Tuesday, hoping to convince one more owner to sell his stake in the Southwyck Mall. Dillin says he's closer than ever to sealing a deal with Tom Morgan, the managing partner of the mall ownership group. Dillin says this time, it's most likely he would purchase that half of Southwyck without the use of city money if a deal is worked out. Dillin says reality has set in for the owners: that he's the only one willing to buy the mall. Dillin calls the mall's owners "enlightened and motivated."
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #1547
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Business Development

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:40 AM.
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #1548
ToledoProgrammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
Michael Ashford is no longer the president of council since the beginning of January and he is an utter fool in my book. Mark Szobcak is currently the president.
And on top of that statement, current president Mark Szobcak is too an utter fool. He cites, based on an interview on Fox Toledo tonight, that there currently is already enough tax incentives downtown.

Look, Mr. Szobcak, do you honestly think the abandoned buildings and unfilled offices downtown mean the tax incentives are working? Not to mention, a business owner has to apply for tax incentives, running into government red tape just to start a business. MAKE DOWNTOWN TAX FREE. You will see a boon of businesses, because the risk of starting a business is that much lower.

EDIT: I WILL be calling my city councilman Tom Waniewski and urging him to move forward with this. Downtown development is KEY to economic vitality not just in Toledo, but the entire Northwest Ohio region.

Last edited by ToledoProgrammer; February 27th, 2008 at 05:56 AM.
ToledoProgrammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #1549
Bonjourtoledo

Warehouse District Development

Yesterday morning, I noticed a sign was put up at the former Durty Bird building on St. Clair/Washington. It's now being called "Legend's Bar & Grill", and for the past few weeks they've been renovating inside.
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #1550
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoProgrammer View Post
And on top of that statement, current president Mark Szobcak is too an utter fool. He cites, based on an interview on Fox Toledo tonight, that there currently is already enough tax incentives downtown.

Look, Mr. Szobcak, do you honestly think the abandoned buildings and unfilled offices downtown mean the tax incentives are working? Not to mention, a business owner has to apply for tax incentives, running into government red tape just to start a business. MAKE DOWNTOWN TAX FREE. You will see a boon of businesses, because the risk of starting a business is that much lower.

EDIT: I WILL be calling my city councilman Tom Waniewski and urging him to move forward with this. Downtown development is KEY to economic vitality not just in Toledo, but the entire Northwest Ohio region.
ToledoProgrammer, I can see Mr. Szobcak's view on the tax incentives because there are plenty of them which I firmly believe it's not promoted enough to existing and new businesses. It's the approach the city need to take place in order to foster the growth and understand the needs of businesses. Some of the businesses in downtown already have these incentives, IMO, it's a matter of national economy, parking issues, security and promotion. They truly have to think "outside-of-the-box" when it comes to competing with suburban developments where you can find ample of parking.

Here is the direct link to the city's website where many small and big businesses can take an advantage of: http://www.ci.toledo.oh.us/Departmen...9/Default.aspx.

I totally agree with your statement in regards to downtown development is the "key" to economic vitality region-wise. The arena construction is not coming soon enough for downtown plus they need to sell Portside Marketplace to a reputable developer in order bring back the "regional-draw" shopping mall status. We only have one enclosed mall in the entire region, why not have a second one with Portside? I certainly will never be caught shopping at Fallen Timbers and Levis Commons in this weather.
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #1551
Bonjourtoledo

Toledo Dept. of Development UPDATE

Here is the website link to the actual developments that the City of Toledo Department of Development is assisting currently: http://www.ci.toledo.oh.us/Departmen...6/Default.aspx

This reflect the Quarter 4 of 2007 whereas many jobs are being retained and created within the city, this also enables redevelopments and expand existing projects as well.
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #1552
Bonjourtoledo

Fostoria: By-Pass Development Update

Old February 27th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #1553
Bonjourtoledo

Regional Automotive Industries Developments

Very interesting article at looking at the automotive industries in the Toledo regional area. IMO, I think it's time for Hyundai or Nissan to start looking at this area to expand their market in the North American division as the Big Three is being chipped at.

Old February 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #1554
toledo25

Likes (Received): 4

I think that Toledo should set something like this up... So we could get some films made here and generate more jobs for local businesses and stimulate our economy. Or a Video Game company.... Either way.

----
"Public Enemies" (Starring Johnny Depp and Christian Bale) is the first major production to come to Wisconsin after new tax incentives took effect Jan. 1. Doyle's office said the film company, which plans to spend nearly $20 million in the state, will earn about $3.9 million in tax credits.

Under the law, a production company qualifies for a tax credit of 25 percent of the wages paid to employees to produce a film, video, electronic game, broadcast advertisement or television production in the state. Also included are credits for sales tax, construction, wardrobes, clothing and visual effects.
toledo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #1555
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Business Development Update

Downtown Business Concerns
Lucas County Commissioner meets with business owners to discuss business downtown
By Arielle Berlin Posted on WNWO NBC 24 website 2-25-2008

TOLEDO, OH -- In the last few weeks, several businesses have closed in the downtown area. Bellacino's, Quizno's, Ken's Flower Shop, and now, Diva Restaurant are all closed.

Monday night, business owners shared their ideas with Lucas County Commissioner Ben Konop, about how to help downtown Toledo thrive.

One of the suggestions was to offer tax free areas for businesses. Too many taxes was a major concern, along with a lack of free parking and dwindling crowds.

Konop says he hopes the new arena will help spruce up the area, but something has to be done in the meantime.

While there are many businesses leaving the area, there are some moving in. Madhouse Productions, a graphics design firm from Perrysburg, has just purchased a building in the downtown area.

Business owners want to create an association to network and generate interest in Downtown Toledo. But they say there is an onus on the community members to come downtown.
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #1556
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo25 View Post
I think that Toledo should set something like this up... So we could get some films made here and generate more jobs for local businesses and stimulate our economy. Or a Video Game company.... Either way.

----
"Public Enemies" (Starring Johnny Depp and Christian Bale) is the first major production to come to Wisconsin after new tax incentives took effect Jan. 1. Doyle's office said the film company, which plans to spend nearly $20 million in the state, will earn about $3.9 million in tax credits.

Under the law, a production company qualifies for a tax credit of 25 percent of the wages paid to employees to produce a film, video, electronic game, broadcast advertisement or television production in the state. Also included are credits for sales tax, construction, wardrobes, clothing and visual effects.

That would be cool and I can see it now "The Sopranos" film version just like the "Sex and the City" coming out on the silver screen.
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #1557
tk29

Pizza Papalis Update

Fox Toledo reported last night that Pizza Papalis plans to open dowtown in 2009. They have a coming soon sign already on the building at Monroe and Huron. And in Westgate news, according to their website Fresh Market plans on opening this fall.

Last edited by tk29; February 28th, 2008 at 12:55 PM.
tk29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #1558
Bonjourtoledo

Sylvania: Wingate Hotel Expansion Development

Old February 28th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #1559
Bonjourtoledo

Sylvania Twp: Next Specialty Resins Development

Fulton Co. Company Eyes Expansion
Sylvania Twp. Plant Would Add Jobs
Posted on WSPD 1370AM Website 2-28-2008

A Fulton County company is eyeing Sylvania Township for expansion. As Newstalk 1370 WSPD's Kevin Milliken reports, that may mean some much-need new jobs. Next Specialty Resins currently has facilities in Fayette and Addison, Michigan, but is looking to buy the old Reichert Stamping plant on Central Avenue. The company wants the port authority to approve four million dollars in bonds to complete the purchase, fix up the building, and buy new equipment. It's a deal that could create 25 new jobs over the next three years.
Old February 29th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #1560
Bonjourtoledo

Warehouse District Development

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:41 AM.