daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #1581
ToledoProgrammer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
I haven't posted on ToledoTalk in several years, but I remember the biggest problem I have with Toledo.

It's general pessimism coupled with the audacity to whine about it while sitting on your ass contributing 205 articles and 901 comments.

Don't judge Toledo by ToledoTalk, since most people on there are not even Toledoans. Many are suburbanites or people who moved to the area who have a vendetta against they city. No single website accurately describes a city, whether it be Toledo or any other place else.
Very true, unfortunately though, Toledo does seem to have a high number of cynical citizens who are intent on focusing on Toledo's problems in the form of whining, yet not offer up any solution. I see that even in the people I talk with at bar's or social events or friends and family.
ToledoProgrammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #1582
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Really, ToledoTalk isn't even that bad compared to websites for other cities in Ohio. There at least is a diversity of political beliefs, and there's historymike, who's great.

The general pessimism is the main problem, though, but it's seen everywhere in Ohio.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #1583
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

I dont see why everyone over there talks so much sh1t.. If u dont like Toledo then get out.. Dont like Carty? then VOTE.... I dont see why people blame everything on carty.... The man would die for this city. He' Toledos first strong mayor an I think he's doin a damn good job. I've always thought he was a good guy even when i first met him i was probly 10. The man talked to me like I was registered voter and he knew i was from oregon..... And he actually came through with his word on what we were talkin about. # 1 City in North America.... #1 Mayor.....

That AW trail Gateway proposal is lookin real nice. Hopefully the city will consider it.... im sure the people workin on the triangle building will definatly welcome this idea.... And I also like the Swan Creek plan as long as they clean up the area and get the cars out of the creek I think it will work out great and the ESM will finally have some good business by then.....
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #1584
ilovetoledo

i like carty too. so i agree with everything you just said mudhen419
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #1585
ToledoProgrammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
I dont see why everyone over there talks so much sh1t.. If u dont like Toledo then get out.. Dont like Carty? then VOTE.... I dont see why people blame everything on carty.... The man would die for this city. He' Toledos first strong mayor an I think he's doin a damn good job. I've always thought he was a good guy even when i first met him i was probly 10. The man talked to me like I was registered voter and he knew i was from oregon..... And he actually came through with his word on what we were talkin about. # 1 City in North America.... #1 Mayor.....

That AW trail Gateway proposal is lookin real nice. Hopefully the city will consider it.... im sure the people workin on the triangle building will definatly welcome this idea.... And I also like the Swan Creek plan as long as they clean up the area and get the cars out of the creek I think it will work out great and the ESM will finally have some good business by then.....
My only suggestion to everyone here is to focus on the positive development that will help move Toledo into the right direction. Have a strip of store's being built down the road, and its' not reported in the Blade? Report it here.

However, its' OK to be critical too. Swampbubbles is filled with the same poster's posting the same damn rants and they essentially make most discussions meaningless. But the truth is, Carty and the Toledo City Council aren't the most efficient and effective with our tax dollars. Toledo is NOT the most business-friendly. Unfortunately there is too much drama within Toledo's government to steer away some businesses, as a sign of instability in Toledo. Most of Toledo's politicians are also beholden to the all-powerful unions. It is not very business friendly when Carty threatens World War III with Columbia Gas when they decided to TEMPORARILY move out of their current building due to contamination.

Its' OK to question government and be critical of our leaders and still not be negative. I am a proud West Toledo homeowner (also graduated from St. John's Jesuit -- I believe someone else on here goes there), and I work and play downtown, and I am always enthusiastically promoting Toledo. The city has great potential, but its' politicians do need to do more.

Business friendly is relatively low or non-existent personal and corporate income tax. Business friendly is low or non-existent sales taxes.

Here is an article I've posted several times on SwampBubbles, and I think our politicians need to take note of it, and then take note of cities around the country. Unfortunately the State of Ohio also needs to be a player, as they are too a major reason for the lack of development.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1204...w_and_outlooks

Bottom line is, don't worry about the daily blogger's who are intent on trashing Toledo at any cost and for petty reason's. Bring your development news here....or....I'd say what development efforts would YOU like to see here. Positive discussion about how to take this city and region forward is what we need. Its' fine to be critical, in fact, its' good, but we need to follow up with efforts to get things changed or offer solutions.
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #1586
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Regional Tech Enterprises Update

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:42 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #1587
Bonjourtoledo

Waterford Bancorp Inc. Development Update

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #1588
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Developments Update

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #1589
Bonjourtoledo

Troy Township Development Update

Troy Township may get water, sewer
By JAN LARSON Sentinel County Editor
Posted on BG Sentinel-Tribune website

Plans are being made to sink $7 million in the ground to get water and sewer services to empty acreage in Troy Township. The hope is that once those utilities are extended, economic development will follow.

“I see this as the last piece of a jigsaw puzzle,” said Tom Blaha, executive director of the Wood County Economic Development Commission.

The puzzle can be found in Troy Township at the 1,000-acre Dominion peaking power site — also known as the “Eastwood Commerce Center” — where water and sewer are the only pieces missing.

The Northwestern Water and Sewer District received an approximately $2.6 million grant through the Ohio Department of Development’s Job Ready Sites program to extend utilities to spur manufacturing development.

The goal of the state grant program is to provide funds to prepare acreage like that in Troy Township for companies looking for large building sites. The grant awarded for the township project is reflected in the ODD’s 2006-07 approved projects list. The Troy Township site is listed as the “Eastwood Commerce Center.”
“Ohio has never really had many sites in its inventory,” explained Jerry Greiner, executive director of the Northwestern Water and Sewer District. Consequently, the state has missed opportunities to get companies such as large auto manufacturing plants which locate in other states that have sites ready with infrastructure.

The Troy Township site, located near U.S. 20 and Ohio 420, qualified for the Job Ready Sites funds because it has 1,000 acres, with nearly half already zoned industrial. It already has access to rail, major roadways, natural gas and electric utilities.

“The only thing really missing is the water and sewer,” Blaha said, calling the site one of the “premier” industrial locations in the Midwest. “There are very few places in this area where you can find this big of a site with one owner.”
And that can be key when a buyer is looking for a quick land acquisition.
However, a couple pieces still missing from the plan include a lack of commitments from Bowling Green for water, and Toledo for sewer treatment.
“Bowling Green has asked for a contract for purchase of water,” Greiner said, noting the city is considering expanding its water program. “They realize we can be a partner.” But nothing is certain.

“Until we add capacity (at the treatment plant), we can’t provide anything more,” BG’s Director of Utilities Kevin Maynard said this morning. “We are doing a water distribution study and considering expansion. Their (the district’s) projected needs are being considered to help us evaluate where we want to go. We can’t make any commitments at this point.”

The puzzle also comes with other strings, since the state grant must be used by the end of 2009 or the money will be lost.

The district’s plan calls for water to be extended through Perrysburg Township to Troy Township via a 16-inch line.

Perrysburg Township officials have expressed reservations about extending utilities through its unzoned areas. If utilities are available, township officials say, all sorts of developments could pop up with no control by the township.
However, the city of Perrysburg sees the utility project as having the potential to protect the city’s southern development area into the future. It would give the city the ability to provide utility service without having to pay a surcharge to the city of Toledo, which currently provides Perrysburg its water under contract. Perrysburg currently distributes the water to city and surrounding customers.

The city of Perrysburg has set aside $2 million in this year’s budget to cover its portion of the water and sewer district’s proposed utility line project.
The water and sewer district has hired Poggemeyer Design Group to begin surveying and design work for a 10-mile waterline could follow Five Point Road from Ohio 25 to the Ohio 20/420 intersection.

The sewer plans call for service to be extended from the district’s system at Lemoyne Road from its point of connection at Ohio 163.

The balance of the $7 million system costs will be paid via tap fees from users along the route, according to Greiner. No assessments will be done along the route, so only those who tap will pay a tap fee, which is still an unknown amount.

“Until we get commitments from anyone, we hate to go to the residents with numbers,” Greiner said.

Besides serving this site, the sewer may also accommodate the needs of Stony Ridge and Lemoyne, two unincorporated communities in Troy Township which have been ordered to install sewers.

The waterline will also be available to serve an estimated 240 residences, three or four manufactured home parks, and the Otterbein-Portage Valley facility, Greiner said.

Design should be completed in early summer and public bidding will occur during this summer with construction under way during the winter of 2008-2009, Greiner said. A water tower would have to be constructed on the site.
“We’ve got a lot of work ahead of us,” he said.
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #1590
nickw311

Development on Dorr Street by Campus

Does anyone know what is going on with the retail strip that is being built on Dorr St. right across from campus? I haven't seen any work on it in a while, and just last week I noticed that a window was broken.

On a more positive note, the mixed commercial/residential building on Secor seems to be making a lot of progress.
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #1591
ToledoProgrammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
Does anyone know what is going on with the retail strip that is being built on Dorr St. right across from campus? I haven't seen any work on it in a while, and just last week I noticed that a window was broken.

On a more positive note, the mixed commercial/residential building on Secor seems to be making a lot of progress.
Secor and Central is starting to really clean up. What needs to follow is Cricket West to be re-developed (sort of looks like a dump) and more green space and businesses need to be occupying the spacious, empty parking lots of Sear's and Elder Beerman.
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #1592
Pilliod Njaim

I dont see why everyone over there talks so much sh1t.. If u dont like Toledo then get out.. Dont like Carty? then VOTE.... I dont see why people blame everything on carty.

I'm all for criticizing politicians and government when it's done in a constructive manner. As long as the criticism comes with facts and real-world examples to back up the rants, there's certainly a place for it. The problem is that many people on ToledoTalk do not do this. There are too many blind rants.

BTW, I'm a huge fan of Carty, particularly in his latter years. I was very upset back in the 90's with his approval of destroying a block of commercial buildings in the Old South End, but he's learned from his mistakes and now supports urban preservation in Toledo's historic districts. I've known Carty personally, and the man's love for Toledo is unwavering. He really does care about the city, but sometimes his temper can get the best of him (and land him in negative national news stories). No politician is perfect...

Most of Toledo's politicians are also beholden to the all-powerful unions.

This really is true. Toledo is one of the last union-controlled cities in the nation. Most of the other industrial cities in the Northeast and Great Lakes have seen such a huge decline in union population that the unions lost power in government. This hasn't really happened in Toledo. Almost everyone belongs to a union or has a close family member in a union, even some of the wealthier people. It extends well beyond the industrial jobs too. My mom works for St. Vincent's Hospital, and she's actually in the UAW! Toledo is really old-school in this regard, but it's not surprising since the city was absolutely pivotal in the formation of the union and workers' rights movements in America. The legacy of union and workers' rights movements in Toledo is matched only by Detroit.

Unfortunately the State of Ohio also needs to be a player, as they are too a major reason for the lack of development.

This is a huge problem, and currently, way too much money and economic development is being funneled to Columbus. It's not even "Three C's versus everyone else" anymore. It's basically Columbus versus everyone else...

With all this said I do have a criticism of the Toledo Gateway proposal:

2) The Nebraska Ave bridge suspended over this interchange will be removed with a turnaround built west of I-75 and Nebraska Ave will be demolished to S. Erie St on the east side of I-75.

I suspect that's a critical bridge for local traffic and I think removing it will do even more damage to the neighborhoods around it. The original highway construction already dead-ended many streets in the area, and another one will probably put the final nail in the coffin. The are four or five streets near the I-75/US 24 interchange that were dead-ended by the highway construction. The only other streets nearby that cross the highway are Collingwood and Indiana Ave, and they're maybe 2/3 mile apart (that's a large distance and not good for pedestrians). Nebraska Avenue is the only street left that allows for local traffic flow in the immediate area. Then again, I'm not sure how many buildings are really left in that area. Perhaps most the damage has probably already been done or it was an urban renewal area. I think on the west side of Nebraska, it's hideous apartment projects for maybe a good quarter mile, in which case I say tear those f--kers down.

I really love the idea of the park and water fountain. That would make a very positive impression entering the warehouse district and downtown Toledo.

4) One or two warehouses near the I-75 interchange, depending on the radius of the entrance and exit ramps.

I don't support demolitions unless they're ugly buildings or totally beyond repair. Truthfully, I think this plan might be possible with no demolitions, except for some ugly apartment projects.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; March 7th, 2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #1593
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Anyone played the new mlb 2k8? My boy got it the other day for the 360 and guess what minor league park is featured in the game?? FIFTH THIRD FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very suprized but happy that its on the game.... Looks pretty good too almost to a T lol...HOpefully they have it on the PSP version too
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:23 AM   #1594
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post

The project across the campus on Dorr Street started last fall and I would assume if there hasn't been any activity recently, it's due to this FREAKING snowy season.

The Secor Road project, is this the one by Arby's? Sorry I haven't been in this area since fall to keep up with these ongoing development projects.
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:25 AM   #1595
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoProgrammer View Post
Secor and Central is starting to really clean up. What needs to follow is Cricket West to be re-developed (sort of looks like a dump) and more green space and businesses need to be occupying the spacious, empty parking lots of Sear's and Elder Beerman.
I agree, but I'd rather see the Showcase Cinema on Secor to be razed and developed into a new retail center (since the "For Sale" sign is finally up) and the former Food Town Plus needs to be occupied.
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #1596
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
Anyone played the new mlb 2k8? My boy got it the other day for the 360 and guess what minor league park is featured in the game?? FIFTH THIRD FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very suprized but happy that its on the game.... Looks pretty good too almost to a T lol...HOpefully they have it on the PSP version too
If you could get a e-digital shot of it and post it in this thread, that would be great!
Old March 8th, 2008, 04:27 AM   #1597
Bonjourtoledo

Solar Tech Boom Developments Update

Two federal grants for UT solar research
Posted on WNWO NBC 24 website
Friday, March 07, 2008

WASHINGTON – U.S. Rep. Marcy Kaptur (OH-9) today announced another pair of federal awards totaling more than $3.5 million from the U.S. Department of Energy for solar energy research involving the University of Toledo and local businesses.

“We continue to seek out ways to create partnerships to develop the alternative energy sector of the economy and grow jobs in Northwest Ohio,” said Kaptur, a senior member of the House Appropriations Committee.

Local cost sharing contributions will bring the total value of the two projects to $4.5 million, Kaptur said.

In one project, UT researchers will team with Toledo-area industrial partners Calyxo USA and Pilkington to improve the efficiency of current thin-film photovoltaic modules. A key resource in this $2.1 million project will be the testing facilities at UT’s new, state-funded Wright Center for Photovoltaics Innovation and Commercialization.

The other project, valued at $2.3 million, involves technology development at Xunlight Corp., a new Toledo-based company that manufactures solar cells.
Old March 9th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #1598
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

One would hope the mayor loves the city, though it's scary if that's the only qualification it takes to become mayor in Toledo.

Objectively, Finkbeiner's tenure has been terrible. Forget the gaffes. Forget the assaults. Forget the bad publicity. He's presided over the loss of tens of thousands of residents and tens of thousands of jobs. Toledo's lost Fortune 500 companies and shopping malls during his tenure. You can blame the "evil suburbs" or GWB or Hitler or whoever, but ultimately the buck stops with Finkbeiner.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #1599
ilovetoledo

How can you put all that blame on one man? seriously he would literally have to drive them out of town. I'm sorry but he did not cause all of that to happen. Its called gas prices and this suckie economy. People dont have enough money to shop because they are losing their jobs because the jobs are moving to Mexico. Thats not finkbeiner's fault. We may have lost Dana but they are slowly getting back on their feet again. It just takes time. GRANTED he could've offered more free taxes to those who may be leaving town AKA (DOWNTOWN) but really i dont think that would've saved a whole lot. During his time in office he has made plans to get the Southwyck plan back in order, Has got the Marina District going, the new area downtown, and more... Out of all the bad things that have happened sometimes we have to look to the good. If we view ourselves as bad and a huge loss of jobs etc. than thats how the rest of the world is going to view us. A positive attitude is always a good thing to have.
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #1600
Pilliod Njaim

Objectively, Finkbeiner's tenure has been terrible. Forget the gaffes. Forget the assaults. Forget the bad publicity. He's presided over the loss of tens of thousands of residents and tens of thousands of jobs. Toledo's lost Fortune 500 companies and shopping malls during his tenure. You can blame the "evil suburbs" or GWB or Hitler or whoever, but ultimately the buck stops with Finkbeiner.

You can blame suburban sprawl, plain and simple, and the people who support it. The same exact thing has played out everywhere in Ohio, including Columbus, which has lost nearly 150,000 people from its old city limits since 1950.

We may have lost Dana but they are slowly getting back on their feet again.

I think he was referring to OI, which really wasn't that big of a deal. They had already moved out over 75% of their office workers before "officially" moving the headquarters to Perrysburg. At least they stayed in the metropolitan area though. Sadly, you can't say the same thing about some other Fortune companies formerly in Ohio like Mead, etc.