daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #1621
ilovetoledo

Likes (Received): 0

TOLEDO -- If you've been in the Westgate area lately, you've probably seen a lot of changes. New stores, new restaurants.., they're all moving in, and even more are on the way.

News 11's Jennifer Boresz has the latest details.

It took a year and a half to persuade corporate to bring California-based "Del Taco" to Toledo. Mike Francis, the GM of Del Taco Toledo tells News 11, "It took them seven different trips, several miles in a car looking, for them to finally pick this first location."

He also says the company hand-picked this location, on Secor Road, to protect it's image. "They definitely don't want a store to fail. They saw everything that's going on with Costco, and they're developing right next door, which we're real excited about. We think that this will be a great mix."

Toledo Councilman Tom Waniewski says it's a welcome addition to an already successful district. "My understanding is that Costco's doing well. Their membership is very high."

By next fall a new Fresh Market, requested by area residents, should be opening a few doors down. They asked for a little higher end supermarket, so Fresh Market will have some specialty foods in there. It's obviously the first of it's kind in northwest Ohio, so that has some appeal."

The area is a blend of new business and long-time favorites. Arnie's just reopened.

Waniewski says they're not building from scratch, simply improving... keeping long-time residents happy and bringing new ones into the community."

Posted by LS
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #1622
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Downtown Arena Development

Outdoor spaces planned to attract crowds
Posted on WTVG 13 ABC website 3-13-2008

Site plans for the new downtown sports arena show a lot of public space you can use outside, even if you don't attend events inside. There are 20,000 square feet of outside public space that will line two streets and hopefully attract a crowd.

Toledo's $85 million downtown arena will draw a big crowd with its sports and concerts inside. And also with its unique public spaces outside.

Renderings show several public spaces surrounding the building, which include a patio beer garden and even a spiralling piano key sculpture honoring jazz great Art Tatum.

Commissioner Ben Konop says it's a very unique downtown architectural setting. "They really have used every inch of the property we have to make sure it's all utilized. There's really no wasted space in this project."

Here's the dilemma though. It's great to have a downtown arena with all that public space, but they are going to need a reason to stay downtown. It's easy to spot the 'for lease' signs around the site. Several businesses recently closed.

But Toledo wants to take advantage of an emerging downtown asset. Jennifer Johnson and Anthony Jones are part of the city's team building off the potential of the new arena.

Incentives like income tax and improvement rebates play a part in recruting businesses, as do fašade and enterprise zone grants. And with new businesses moving into the old Durty Bird spot and the old Brenda's Body Shop location, it's starting to work.

Commissioner Konop believes an attractive outdoor public space helps. "Downtown's taken some blows over the years and I think this is the best hope for reinvigorating it."

A crowd of 6,000 to 10,000 people, 150 nights a year at the arena, will help attract people downtown. The city and several other groups are working on a marketing plan designed specifically for this downtown location.

Meanwhile, some concrete moldings have popped up at the new arena site. The weather's been cold so no concrete has been poured yet. But the pilings will eventually be the support beams for the arena. Once they are poured, vertical construction will begin by mid-April.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; March 14th, 2008 at 02:39 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #1623
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Developments Update

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #1624
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Anyone know if the Cherry St Bridge is gonna be done on time?
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #1625
Bonjourtoledo

Vistula Neighborhood Development Update

Old March 14th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #1626
Bonjourtoledo

Old March 15th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #1627
Bonjourtoledo

Downtown Developments Update

Downtown development on the rise despite economy
Posted on WTVG 13 ABC website 3-14-2008

13abc's Bill Hormann took a tour of downtown Toledo and found several new businesses in the planning stages.

At St. Clair and Washington, the building that formerly housed the Durty Bird pub has been bought and will soon become Legends Sports Grille. Next to that is a building that will be a residence for artists and also be home to an art gallery.

About a half block away, next to Fricker's, a steak house is in the planning stages, we have learned.

And at Huron and Monroe, a developer has paid about $200,000 for the former Brenda's Body Shop. After $2 million in renovations, Pizza Papalis Taverna will open there.

Real estate counselor Jerry Jones says that this sort of action creates a buzz and could be a catalyst for other development downtown. The hope is that these entertainment-oriented establishments will spur other use of downtown, such as offices and residences.
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #1628
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Redevelopment Update

Southwyck Mall Declared Blight
Mayor Says It Will Help Redevelopment
Posted on WSPD Newsradio 1370AM website 3-14-2008

The Toledo-Lucas County Plan Commission is designates the Southwyck Mall a blighted area. While Mayor Carty Finkbeiner says the move is geared at securing state and federal funding to redevelop the mall, he hopes eminent domain can be avoided to gain control of the property. Developer Larry Dillin tells WSPD talks are ongoing to buy the mall from its three owners.
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #1629
ilovetoledo

Thank you god. Toledo is taking a turn for the better. Finnally.! Toledo Pride!
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #1630
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Downtown Arena

Found somethin from last nights (Fri 3/14) news ........ http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?se...cal&id=6018414

This has a video and a slide show with 4 pics.... Im sure everyone will like what they see
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #1631
rustbeltrevival

Economic Development Forum at UT Law

I attended the forum at UT Law School yesterday on using the law to spur and navigate economic development. Many excellent speakers attended, and most of them were not from this region. All the speakers made it clear that we are the position we are in, both the positives and negatives, because of the way we choose to govern the region and the way we pursue opportunities, not because of some inevitablity. Dan Johnson, who I believe has some of the best ideas on economic development (he writes a great guest column for the Free Press and, as most of you probably know, has been the biggest driving force behind UT's economic development refocus), was one of the few non-lawyers to speak. He made it clear that every mid-sized North American city that has been successful in this new economy has done three things well:

1. Regional government;
2. Global focus;
3. Commercialization of univeristy research.

He believes that we've done a great job with number 3, but a terrible job with numbers 1 and 2. I think that number 2 is definitely coming along as our leaders start to realize this. What I'm worried about is number 1, because our municipal borders are so ingrained in those living in the region is seems a tough obstacle to overcome. Though people living in the suburbs would benefit tremendously from the overall increase in growth, I think that they will not see how they will benefit. Johnson emphasized what all of us on this forum, and indeed many, many people in this community already know, which is how ridiculous and backwards it is to fail to realize that our competition isn't within our city and it suburbs, but our city and every other city in the world. Corporations are turned off by what they perceive as petty regional squablings. Johnson has hope that we can start to move toward this form of government very soon, so I have hope as well, but it seems to be the toughest challenge of these three for our city and region. We have talked about regional government on this thread before, any more thoughts on how this could practicably be achieved?

Great to hear of the new downtown developments, I knew that it was going to continue to progress!
rustbeltrevival no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #1632
ToledoProgrammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbeltrevival View Post
I attended the forum at UT Law School yesterday on using the law to spur and navigate economic development. Many excellent speakers attended, and most of them were not from this region. All the speakers made it clear that we are the position we are in, both the positives and negatives, because of the way we choose to govern the region and the way we pursue opportunities, not because of some inevitablity. Dan Johnson, who I believe has some of the best ideas on economic development (he writes a great guest column for the Free Press and, as most of you probably know, has been the biggest driving force behind UT's economic development refocus), was one of the few non-lawyers to speak. He made it clear that every mid-sized North American city that has been successful in this new economy has done three things well:

1. Regional government;
2. Global focus;
3. Commercialization of univeristy research.

He believes that we've done a great job with number 3, but a terrible job with numbers 1 and 2. I think that number 2 is definitely coming along as our leaders start to realize this. What I'm worried about is number 1, because our municipal borders are so ingrained in those living in the region is seems a tough obstacle to overcome. Though people living in the suburbs would benefit tremendously from the overall increase in growth, I think that they will not see how they will benefit. Johnson emphasized what all of us on this forum, and indeed many, many people in this community already know, which is how ridiculous and backwards it is to fail to realize that our competition isn't within our city and it suburbs, but our city and every other city in the world. Corporations are turned off by what they perceive as petty regional squablings. Johnson has hope that we can start to move toward this form of government very soon, so I have hope as well, but it seems to be the toughest challenge of these three for our city and region. We have talked about regional government on this thread before, any more thoughts on how this could practicably be achieved?

Great to hear of the new downtown developments, I knew that it was going to continue to progress!
We need to start electing NEW politicians in Toledo and Lucas County. A lot of Toledo's politicians are recycled from other positions, but people such as Tom Waniewski, my councilman, give me hope we're moving into that direction. The point that corporations look over this region because of petty regional squabbling couldn't be any more true. We need to move toward a more regional government, with more transparency and efficiency in our government.

As for the developments downtown, this is absolutely great. I expect things to really start coming in mid next year, closer to when the arena will be finished. Downtown development is really going to be heading into the right direction now that we will have two venues that allow for downtown to be an all-year round destination, and with continued growth in downtown area lofts and apartments, things are going to take off.
ToledoProgrammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #1633
Bonjourtoledo

Economic Development Forum at UT Law

rustbeltrevival, Thanks for the posting of the economic development and Dan Johnson is a great guy. He is truly a leader when it comes to regionalism and we need him to guide this area for it, and I liked him when he was president at UT.

I agree with you ToledoProgrammer, but not all elected officials need to be replaced which some of them are keepers such as Joe McNamara, Tina Wozniak Skeldon, Ben Konop, Mark Sobzcak, George Sarantou, Tom Waniewski, and Lindsay Webb. I wish Ellen Grachek stayed on and that Keith Wilkowski was elected as mayor back in 2005.

As far as Lucas County suburban mayor and trustees, they need to get rid of Derek Merrin of Waterville, Marge Brown of Oregon, Marilyn Yoder of Springfield Township and the double trouble ladies (not Ms. Contrada) of Sylvania Township. Talk about radical politicans as they defy regionalism concept and truly make the militia look like Boys Scout members.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; March 15th, 2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old March 15th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #1634
Bonjourtoledo

Deveaux Neighborhood/Cedar Creek Developments

Old March 15th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #1635
Bonjourtoledo

MLK Jr. (Cherry Street) Bridge Redevelopment UPDATE

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old March 15th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #1636
rustbeltrevival

I wish Ellen Grachek stayed on and that Keith Wilkowski was elected as mayor back in 2005.

Keith was one of the presenters, he filled in at the last minute for a cancellation. He has some great ideas, and I think that he would take a global, business friendly approach to the city. I'm 99% sure he's going to run again this time around, and get into the race in a timely fashion this time. We would do well to elect him, as it seems he really has a big picture focus (of course, the competition has yet to be determined!). If we lok at Carty (without the distractions), he has much more of a poject by project focus, and while we certainly need people like that in government, at this point our city desparately needs a big picture guy. And he quotes Jane Jacobs relentlessly, which is pretty awesome for anyone who is a fan of her work.
rustbeltrevival no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #1637
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbeltrevival View Post
I wish Ellen Grachek stayed on and that Keith Wilkowski was elected as mayor back in 2005.

Keith was one of the presenters, he filled in at the last minute for a cancellation. He has some great ideas, and I think that he would take a global, business friendly approach to the city. I'm 99% sure he's going to run again this time around, and get into the race in a timely fashion this time. We would do well to elect him, as it seems he really has a big picture focus (of course, the competition has yet to be determined!). If we lok at Carty (without the distractions), he has much more of a poject by project focus, and while we certainly need people like that in government, at this point our city desparately needs a big picture guy. And he quotes Jane Jacobs relentlessly, which is pretty awesome for anyone who is a fan of her work.

I am a HUGE fan of Jane Jacobs. I hold a book called "The Death and Life of Great American Cities" by Ms. Jacobs dear to my heart.
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #1638
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

In most cities to get elected, you have to prove yourself to the public and then to get reelected you have to do a good job. There's accountability. In Toledo's corrupt union based politics, you have to prove yourself to the union bosses and then to get reelected you have to bribe/payoff the friends and family of the union bosses. The electorate is unionized and corruptly controlled by their union boss masters, so they vote for whoever they tell them to vote for, even a 'tard like Finkbeiner.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #1639
Bonjourtoledo

Sylvania: Flower Hospital Development

Old March 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #1640
Bonjourtoledo

MLK Jr. (Cherry Street) Bridge Redevelopment UPDATE

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:45 AM.