daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #1701
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

History Snapshot Series: Hotel Seagate (former Holiday Inn)

Past:

Today:

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #1702
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Southwyck does not need to be the next fallen timbers.

I sure as hell hope it's not, because Fallen Timbers is as suburban, wasteful, and tacky as it gets. Southwyck needs to be denser and urban, and Dillin is the guy that can do it. If you've seen his recent Marina District renderings, you'd notice he is going to build in a true urban fashion. Southwyck should follow suit.

And the argument, "support all the malls" is bogus. No one does that. People go to their favorite mall, plain and simple. When Southwyck reopens, that will be far too much competition in the Southwest metro area. One mall will die no matter what. The market is already over-saturated in that area. Southwyck is planned to be be a much better development than Fallen Timbers, and Dillin has a better track record than General Growth Properties of Chicago. That's good for the region. You want your local developers to be better than developers from elsewhere. Southwyck will probably be 100 times better than Fallen Timbers, which is arguably the worst "shopping towne" in the state of Ohio. Nothing at that mall is owned by people from the Toledo area. All that money, save for some minimal income taxes and property taxes, is going to people outside the region. That's not the case with Levis Commons and that won't be the case with Southwyck, since a local man, Larry Dillin is at the helm.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:52 AM   #1703
ddp

$150M Whitehouse Square development

Fallen Timbers on the southeast side of the soon-to-be new 24, Whitehouse Square on the northwest side...

http://www.whitehousesquare.com/

(The most recent April 2008 issue of Business Advantage Development News -- free at places like Panera -- has back section feature article on the new development as well.)

Here's hoping that the development is dense, appropriately historic (on all levels - and yes, I'm all for architectural approval boards that demand certain paint colors and sizes and styles of signs, certain amounts of foliage, comfortable lot sizes, et. al.), walkable, no-chain-anythings (i.e. one-of-a-kind family-owned restaurants), and can attract solid business that will settle in for the long haul and become a part of the community.

I like that the developer will not be allowing duplicate businesses. Not so sure about the plat design though - looks awfully commonplace and rather cookie-cutter. What ever happen to odd lot sizes and meandering roads, with center island berms, etc.?! Just because the land is flat doesn't mean the development needs to be laid out using 90-degree angles. If you can look down your street and see 100 houses, that's not good for the long-term aesthetic, privacy, and overall appeal of your development.
ddp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:25 AM   #1704
Pilliod Njaim

^interesting website, and thanks for posting. I was not aware of that development in Whitehouse, and I'm shocked something progressive is happening there (Anthony Wayne is arguably the most conservative/suburban part of the Toledo region). The writing on the website was dead-on and pretty clever. I especially liked this quote:

"What you will see is something akin to placing the energetic population of Greenwich Village and Silicon Valley with art oriented communities like Athens and Ann Arbor into wondrous pedestrian oriented urban fabric that are filled with tourists and retirees." http://www.whitehousesquare.com/developers.htm

Go OU!!! You really can't beat Athens. It's Ohio's healthiest downtown and one of the state's most functionally urban places. I love living here.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; March 31st, 2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:59 PM   #1705
Bonjourtoledo

Pull-A-Part Development News UPDATE!!!

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:49 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 03:01 PM   #1706
Bonjourtoledo

Regional Intermodal Development News

Old March 31st, 2008, 03:02 PM   #1707
Bonjourtoledo

U.S. Coking Plant Project Update

Old March 31st, 2008, 03:04 PM   #1708
Bonjourtoledo

Something tells me this is another a la' Levis Commons and/or Fallen Timbers-like development but without the chains. First and foremost, you need to have population to support this type of development and I can see a smaller scale than what the website indicates. But who knows, I could be very wrong about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddp View Post
Fallen Timbers on the southeast side of the soon-to-be new 24, Whitehouse Square on the northwest side...

(The most recent April 2008 issue of Business Advantage Development News -- free at places like Panera -- has back section feature article on the new development as well.)

Here's hoping that the development is dense, appropriately historic (on all levels - and yes, I'm all for architectural approval boards that demand certain paint colors and sizes and styles of signs, certain amounts of foliage, comfortable lot sizes, et. al.), walkable, no-chain-anythings (i.e. one-of-a-kind family-owned restaurants), and can attract solid business that will settle in for the long haul and become a part of the community.

I like that the developer will not be allowing duplicate businesses. Not so sure about the plat design though - looks awfully commonplace and rather cookie-cutter. What ever happen to odd lot sizes and meandering roads, with center island berms, etc.?! Just because the land is flat doesn't mean the development needs to be laid out using 90-degree angles. If you can look down your street and see 100 houses, that's not good for the long-term aesthetic, privacy, and overall appeal of your development.
Old March 31st, 2008, 03:05 PM   #1709
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Redevelopment Update

See direct link to the redevelopment project: http://www.villageatsouthwyck.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
Southwyck does not need to be the next fallen timbers.

I sure as hell hope it's not, because Fallen Timbers is as suburban, wasteful, and tacky as it gets. Southwyck needs to be denser and urban, and Dillin is the guy that can do it. If you've seen his recent Marina District renderings, you'd notice he is going to build in a true urban fashion. Southwyck should follow suit.

And the argument, "support all the malls" is bogus. No one does that. People go to their favorite mall, plain and simple. When Southwyck reopens, that will be far too much competition in the Southwest metro area. One mall will die no matter what. The market is already over-saturated in that area. Southwyck is planned to be be a much better development than Fallen Timbers, and Dillin has a better track record than General Growth Properties of Chicago. That's good for the region. You want your local developers to be better than developers from elsewhere. Southwyck will probably be 100 times better than Fallen Timbers, which is arguably the worst "shopping towne" in the state of Ohio. Nothing at that mall is owned by people from the Toledo area. All that money, save for some minimal income taxes and property taxes, is going to people outside the region. That's not the case with Levis Commons and that won't be the case with Southwyck, since a local man, Larry Dillin is at the helm.
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:22 PM   #1710
BGFalcon

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddp View Post

If I am thinking of the same thing, they started this several years ago with a little strip mall type building in the front on State Route 64 and the road going back into the development. Last time I drove by that was still all that was there.
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:46 PM   #1711
Bonjourtoledo

Maumee Ford Stamping Plant Update

LATEST NEWS
Local group buys Maumee plant from Ford
By Duane Ramsey Senior Business Writer

Maumee Authority Stamping has signed a purchase agreement with Ford Motor Company to purchase Ford's former stamping plant and all equipment in Maumee.

Ford ceased production at the plant in October.

Keith Obey, president of Maumee Authority Stamping, said he could not divulge details of the sale due to a confidentiality agreement with Ford.

The new private, employee-owned company plans to begin production in early to mid-May with 250 employees, Obey said.

“Production will begin as soon as we can train the employees in manufacturing and safety,” he said.

The plant will produce stamped products for General Motors, Chrysler, Magna, Freightliner and other automotive and non-automotive companies in the appliance, heavy truck and recreational vehicle industries.

Obey said the company interviewed 1,200 people for potential jobs at the plant, which resulted in the identification of 450 capable applicants. The plant plans to hire 250 of those applicants during the next four to six weeks with about 60 percent of the new hires being former Ford employees at the stamping facility.

Maumee Authority Stamping received funding support for the purchase from the State of Ohio, Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority, National City Bank and company employees.

“All profits from this operation will stay right here with our employees,” Obey said.

Obey retired from Ford in 2001 after working 27 years for the automaker. He came to Maumee from Detroit and worked six years at the Maumee Stamping Plant.
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:52 PM   #1712
Pilliod Njaim

See direct link to the redevelopment project: http://www.villageatsouthwyck.com/

Bonjour, the website seems outdated. I remember seeing those same renderings about two years ago before Dillin changed his development style. Are there any places to see more recent renderings? Does the city of Toledo have any websites with plans for land use?
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:19 PM   #1713
b1gh0u5e

Pilliod Njaim: You have no idea what you are talking about. Southwyck will never ever be a successful mall. There is too much riff-raff around that location that simply put, keeps anyone with any kind of REAL income from wanting to shop there. This project, if it ever happens, will be right up there with Portside as far as monumental Toledo failures. Like you pointed out, Fallen Timbers was developed by an out-of-town group...why do you think they picked that location to invest their own money????? Because it makes sense economically.
I too went to OU and am quite aware of the insulated, liberal environment you are currently exposed to...don't confuse it for real world experience.
b1gh0u5e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:23 AM   #1714
Pilliod Njaim

I too went to OU and am quite aware of the insulated, liberal environment you are currently exposed to...don't confuse it for real world experience.

No, Toledo (as liberal as Athens) is real-world experience, because of the diversity and varying income levels. Toledo also just has a lot of plain grit and soul, similar to the other Great Lakes cities. Athens is the oldest college town in the Midwest, and one of the best college towns in the country. College towns by definition can't be "real world." They're the academic world.

No one in their right mind would argue Athens is the "real world," but it's a world many people are jealous of, including the students at other schools in the state. A wealthy, alcoholic, drug-addled place with pretty much nothing but 20-somethings is only a small segment of the larger society. Athens is the American dream to many young people.

Southwyck will never ever be a successful mall. There is too much riff-raff around that location

Riff-raff?!! Yeah, go to Cleveland, Dayton, Cincinnati, old Columbus, or old Toledo and get back to me. It's still a safe area (even by insulated suburban standards), though of course it's seen some "suburban ghetto" decline...largely because the old mall died.

Like you pointed out, Fallen Timbers was developed by an out-of-town group

And get this, they spent far less money than they had previously intended. Even they didn't have much faith in the mall, or else they wouldn't have downsized it so drastically. Of course, Fallen Timbers failing would just be a drop in their bucket. General Growth Properties is one of the largest mall developers in the country. Their commitment to any one market is minimal at best.

Dillin Corp. (Levis Commons, Phase 1 Marina District) is a different animal since it's a local company heavily invested in the Toledo market.

Southwyck can be successful if done right. There's plenty of income around there. Most of South Toledo is middle class or higher (hell, the southeastern part near the river is wealthy as hell), Maumee is mostly middle class, Southwest Toledo is largely working and middle class, Springfield is middle to upper class. And don't forget Southwyck is still close to the wealthy Anthony Wayne, Perrysburg, and Sylvania areas. People will drive to the mall if they like it, and it will attract people from well outside of metro Toledo. The Toledo market is much larger than the official metropolitan area. People from all over Northwest Ohio and the southern counties of Michigan come to Toledo to shop.

Dillin has proven he can market to varying income levels, and he'll probably do the same with Southwyck.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; April 1st, 2008 at 03:40 AM.
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:29 AM   #1715
ilovetoledo

Southwyck was at one time Toledo premiere mall. Why dont you think that they can do it again. That area has more of an income than you think and more population than fallen timbers area probably more equivalent to the population around Franklin Park, with all the same advantages. The turnpike is right there. Trust me if Dillin thought it wouldnt work then he wouldnt be busting his ass to get it done. Thanks.
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:31 AM   #1716
ilovetoledo

Above someone said something about being the person to pick out the lighting and style of the mall. (the colors the tennants...etc.) What is the offical name of the person that does that? An enviromental desiginer?
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:36 AM   #1717
ToledoProgrammer

And if you don't mind me asking...what kind of real world experience do you bring to the table? I suppose your against any major urban center as well.....because no urban center experience is complete without "riff raff" in the area....
ToledoProgrammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:00 PM   #1718
Bonjourtoledo

Great Lakes Development

Old April 1st, 2008, 03:03 PM   #1719
Bonjourtoledo

Toledo Area Regional Transit Authority Development

Old April 1st, 2008, 03:04 PM   #1720
Bonjourtoledo

U.S. Coking Plant Project Update

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:50 AM.