daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2008, 03:06 PM   #1721
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Wood County Hospital Development UPDATE

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:50 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:57 PM   #1722
b1gh0u5e

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoProgrammer View Post
And if you don't mind me asking...what kind of real world experience do you bring to the table? I suppose your against any major urban center as well.....because no urban center experience is complete without "riff raff" in the area....

I actually work in the real estate business. I've worked in Toledo, Detroit, Cleveland, and Columbus areas ever since I left OU back in 1996. I even spent a couple of years doing the same work in Phoenix. I work with both commercial and residential properties...and have worked on a couple of neighborhood development projects.

Look, I don't pretend to know all of the answers and was just trying to suggest that another poster do the same. Southwyck mall has basically been available for anyone in the world to develop for about 10-15 years and NOBODY has done it. Why do you think that is? All of a sudden the city says that they'll help pay the bill and a developer steps up, who I would imagine will get his out of this project whether it succeeds or not. I guess my point is that the private sector should determine these types of projects for long-term success, not forced by an inept city gov't.

Example: We have a declining tax base in Toledo. How do we address this problem? All new residential development within the city is tax abated for 15 years. How on Earth does that solve the original program?

Example: We have a dying automotive industry based economy in Northwest Ohio. How do we address this problem? We give the automakers land, tax breaks, financial assistance--->they open a new plant, start to lay people off over time, and eventually close their doors. Once again, how does that solve the original problem?

I would just like to see real solutions for real problems. It would be refreshing to see some leadership from someone who cares about the good of the city rather than their next re-election.
b1gh0u5e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:01 PM   #1723
BGFalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gh0u5e View Post
Look, I don't pretend to know all of the answers and was just trying to suggest that another poster do the same. Southwyck mall has basically been available for anyone in the world to develop for about 10-15 years and NOBODY has done it. Why do you think that is? All of a sudden the city says that they'll help pay the bill and a developer steps up, who I would imagine will get his out of this project whether it succeeds or not. I guess my point is that the private sector should determine these types of projects for long-term success, not forced by an inept city gov't.
I could we wrong, but I seem to remember one of the key reasons for no new development at Southwyck was the owners, including Dillards. They could veto any new anchor and did. And the other owner made no updates whatsoever over many years.
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:49 PM   #1724
ToledoProgrammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gh0u5e View Post
I actually work in the real estate business. I've worked in Toledo, Detroit, Cleveland, and Columbus areas ever since I left OU back in 1996. I even spent a couple of years doing the same work in Phoenix. I work with both commercial and residential properties...and have worked on a couple of neighborhood development projects.

Example: We have a declining tax base in Toledo. How do we address this problem? All new residential development within the city is tax abated for 15 years. How on Earth does that solve the original program?

Example: We have a dying automotive industry based economy in Northwest Ohio. How do we address this problem? We give the automakers land, tax breaks, financial assistance--->they open a new plant, start to lay people off over time, and eventually close their doors. Once again, how does that solve the original problem?

I would just like to see real solutions for real problems. It would be refreshing to see some leadership from someone who cares about the good of the city rather than their next re-election.
Oh, I absolutely agree with you in regards to city intervention and with city leadership, with the exception of a few notable councilmen that I really like.

However, Just as the post above me has said, it has been developed because the owners were using the building as a tax write off. Even if Larry Dillin were to take on this project on his own, he'd still run into the mess he's in now because of the stalling and the hoops that the mall partners have made him jump through.
ToledoProgrammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:52 PM   #1725
ToledoProgrammer

REPEAT

Last edited by ToledoProgrammer; April 1st, 2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:01 PM   #1726
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Redevelopment Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoProgrammer View Post
However, Just as the post above me has said, it hasn't been developed because the owners were using the building as a tax write off. Even if Larry Dillin were to take on this project on his own, he'd still run into the mess he's in now because of the stalling and the hoops that the mall partners have made him jump through.
OK! Let's end this subject in regards to Southwyck unless it is new information for further development and its progress. This pissing contest and political mumbo-jumbo is getting a bit old, this thread is to gear toward constructive dialogue about ongoing and proposed developments and/or redevelopments.

Most of you should be aware of the Southwyck project as it's been updated via information of this thread since summer of 2005; Southwyck for the longest time until late 2006 was always and I MEAN ALWAYS used as a tax write-off not a business opportunity to create economy and retail scene of the Toledo region for over two decades. Now with Dillin Corporation, City of Toledo, and existing owners are making efforts to redevelop the entire mall property, we should be extremely thankful that it is happening because it could've been sitting in an idle-mode. All planning/redevelopment project takes time and efforts which takes several years minimum to really fulfill it's completion.
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:06 PM   #1727
Bonjourtoledo

Rossford: Crossroads of America Development News

Two (2) development projects (in separate article-see below) taking place at Rossford's Crossroads of Amercia:

Drive-in restaurant, Sonic, coming to Crossroads
Posted on Rossford Record Journal website 4-1-2008

Plans for the only current drive-in restaurant in northwest Ohio were presented to the Rossford Planning Commission at a March 12 meeting.
Kevin Lent of Fresh Dirt LLC of Toledo, explained that he is interested in developing a Sonic restaurant on a one-acre parcel in front of the Meijer store on U.S. Route 20.

Mr. Lent noted that Sonic has six drive-in restaurants in the state, but this will be the first in northwest Ohio where diners are served in their cars by wait staff on roller skates.

Mr. Lent is asking the planning commission to approve a special use permit for the drive-through service. The area is zoned planned commercial PC, which requires a permit for a drive-through.

Along with the drive-in service and drive-through lane, he said there will be tables on a patio for diners to eat outdoors.

House, barn to make way for business
Posted on Rossford Record Journal website 4-1-2008

The home and barn located in front of the Giant Eagle-Target-Home Depot complex on U.S. Route 20 soon will be demolished as the site is converted to a commercial use.

At a March 12 meeting, the Rossford Planning Commission approved a revised preliminary plan for a Murray's auto parts store, which was presented by George Oravecz, consulting engineer.

The Kachmarik property at 9650 Fremont Pike lies just west of the driveway that enters the shopping complex from Route 20.

Ramco-Gershenson owns the shopping complex directly behind the property and on both sides of it. The residential property was not sold to Ramco at the time of original development in 2001.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:34 AM   #1728
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

I could we wrong, but I seem to remember one of the key reasons for no new development at Southwyck was the owners, including Dillards.

yep. Basically, Dillards should take a lot of the blame.

Example: We have a dying automotive industry based economy in Northwest Ohio. How do we address this problem?

It extends well beyond the automotive industry. Just look at American Standard in Tiffin. Anyways, how do we solve it? Check out the solar industry segment CNN Money made about Toledo: http://money.cnn.com/video/#/video/n...green.cnnmoney

It's a big step in the right direction and can replace old manufacturing jobs with new manufacturing jobs. Now in terms of brain drain, which plagues the entire state of Ohio, I have no clue what can be done. People my age just want to get out of the state, including myself. My reason is justified though. I have bad asthma and am allergic to the medication I need. My asthma is largely cold-induced, so Ohio winters have been horrible for me.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; April 2nd, 2008 at 02:42 AM.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 06:57 AM   #1729
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Mr. Lent noted that Sonic has six drive-in restaurants in the state, but this will be the first in northwest Ohio where diners are served in their cars by wait staff on roller skates.

Sonic is not very good. We have them down south, and I'm not impressed. The only thing I like about them is their coney dogs, but Toledo coneys murder them at every level. Hell, Toledo practically birthed the drive-thru coney dog shop. I'll take a Rudy's or Ideal coney over Sonic any day of the week. And if you want a real coney, you can't beat Packo's or Oringinal Coney Island.

Coney dogs are one trashy American food that Toledo has perfected. They're delicious and amongst the best in the nation.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:23 AM   #1730
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Rudys is nasty i think lol...... but Packos is definatly a delicacy. Can't wait to see Sonic around here. Never had it before but I heard its alright. Im just a sucker for a good sundae and I'd like to see somethin different around here.... We've been seeing the commercials for a while now in Toledo but I think the closest one is in Fort Wayne?

Went to the Tribe opener in Cleveland... Had a pretty good time saw a real good contest and did the usual bar hoppin afterwards tried a few new places and hit up east 4th.. I was pretty impressed. I think somethin like that would fit in well in Toledo once we get some year round entertainment down there. Are there any streets in Toledo near the stadium/arena that could be like an east 4th? The block was closed for traffic but I read somewhere its open during the offseason (baseball) Also if ever in Cleveland hit up the Winking Lizard... Its always jumpin and they have some good food
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:58 PM   #1731
ToledoProgrammer

Anybody have plans to go to to the home opener tomorrow for the Mud Hens?
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:55 PM   #1732
nickw311

I plan on going this weekend some time. Unfortunately I will not be able to make it Thursday night. It looks like the weather will be nice on Sat. and Sun.
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:26 AM   #1733
Mudhen419

Im probly gonna go..... Might just watch from Monroe St so i can smoke though it depends on the crowd....
Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:18 AM   #1734
ilovetoledo

I was downtown today and it was PACKED and BUSY for once. People were sweeping and painting and bars are getting ready for the crowd. Street cleaners, road crews, people replacing lights that had been out. This is what our Downtown has become. Am i impressed? Yeah. This is what it should be. Toledo. It made me proud for once in a while to be a citizen of here. So come on fans lets get to the Hens and support downtown buisnesses!
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:17 AM   #1735
ToledoProgrammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoledo View Post
I was downtown today and it was PACKED and BUSY for once. People were sweeping and painting and bars are getting ready for the crowd. Street cleaners, road crews, people replacing lights that had been out. This is what our Downtown has become. Am i impressed? Yeah. This is what it should be. Toledo. It made me proud for once in a while to be a citizen of here. So come on fans lets get to the Hens and support downtown buisnesses!
Imagine that now being year round possibly with the new arena next year. Things are shaping up. We're all stopping work early tomorrow to start tailgating at 1pm.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:30 AM   #1736
ilovetoledo

The Blarney has a huge tent expected for customers. Thats were i'll be
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM   #1737
Bonjourtoledo

As the opening day begins today for a ball game and a great season ahead...GO HENS!!!!

Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:51 PM   #1738
Bonjourtoledo

Marina District Developments Update

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:50 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:52 PM   #1739
Bonjourtoledo

South Toledo Dog Park Development

I wish we had one for the downtown neighborhoods.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:51 AM.
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #1740
Mudhen419

How bout them Hens?? Went down to the field even tho it was sold out... Watched from under the Monroe video board outside the stadium.... To bad we didnt walk down superior cause if we would have Dane Sardinhas homerun ball would be sittin on my mantle... Took it out just as we were walkin up..... But anyways.... The seats werent filled but there was people everywhere...... Id have to say there was about 20,000 people in the neighborhood of 5th 3rd field.... Good way to kick the season off to with a win.

Anyone read what Lee Fisher had to say in yesterdays pages of opinion?