daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #1801
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Downtown Saturday April 19th Snapshots

Former LOF Headquarters and now it's Hylant Insurance Building looking west:

Madison Street View looking east which I am standing next to the Huntington Bank building:

Spitzer Building and Toledo's first indoor shopping mall which has a barber shop, hair salon, Madison Bistro, jewelry store, insurance office, law office, flower shop, printing shop, newspaper stand, and a few vacant space on the first floor--it's quite an awesome experience with decor and everything:

Valentine Theatre and Georgio's International Restaurant:

Redeveloped building at the corner of St. Clair & Adams which houses daycare, Libbey Glass corporate gallery, title offices, Jimmy John's, and various of offices:

Superior Street View looking south which ends at the ongoing arena construction:

Redeveloped former Woolworth's building which houses Merit Bank and various offices:

Adams Street View looking west:

Walk Wayfinding at the Levis Square:

Former Owens-Illinois Headquarters now it's National City Bank building:

Former Toledo Trust building now it's Riverview Apartments:

View of Madison Street looking west which showcases the beautiful Ohio Building:

Modern-looking view of Summit Street facing north:

Water Street view looking north:

Propylaea Sculpture at Promenade Plaza with signage:

Finished Dr. Martin L. King, Jr. Bridge (Cherry Street):

View of the downtown skyline from riverside with former Portside Marketplace--please redevelop it back into a downtown regional shopping mall/entertainment center:

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #1802
Bonjourtoledo

One Seagate/Crowne Plaza Hotel Redevelopment Snapshots

The One Seagate Tower, Crowne Plaza Hotel, and Citiwalk Concorde is all undergoing renovations and redevelopment with a price tag of over $25 million investment; now I am waiting for Portside Marketplace to reopen and Water Street Station Lofts to begin construction since they are all connected to one another:

Old April 20th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #1803
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Awesome pics Bonjour thanks a lot! I hear Granderson may be down with Toledo on a rehab assignment so hopefully that draws some more fans to the park today .... Got any pics of the Lousiville Title building? mom used to work there (for Demuth and John) an I believe my sister worked there for Port Lawrence....... The slanted windows make it look cool from a few blocks away.......

Oh yea in Oregon, the old Mr Beefys is beeing converted into another restuarant.....Was the guy who owned Beefys the same guy that owned Fat Freddys?? Also the old Taco Bell in front of Kingston Court Apartments is bein converted into 2 commericial spaces
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #1804
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen419 View Post
Awesome pics Bonjour thanks a lot! I hear Granderson may be down with Toledo on a rehab assignment so hopefully that draws some more fans to the park today .... Got any pics of the Lousiville Title building? mom used to work there (for Demuth and John) an I believe my sister worked there for Port Lawrence....... The slanted windows make it look cool from a few blocks away.......

Oh yea in Oregon, the old Mr Beefys is beeing converted into another restuarant.....Was the guy who owned Beefys the same guy that owned Fat Freddys?? Also the old Taco Bell in front of Kingston Court Apartments is bein converted into 2 commericial spaces
I don't have any pics of the Louisville Title Building on Erie & Madison, but I will make it a trip soon for the next round of snapshots along with progress at Franklin Park, Fallen Timbers, Bass Pro, Fed Ex, and Levis Commons.

In terms developments in Oregon, I'm pretty clueless at this point.
Old April 20th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #1805
Bonjourtoledo

Perrysburg: Levis Commons Development Update

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:56 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #1806
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

I was just askin if anyone knew about the owner of beefys/fat freddys beacuse my friend worked at fat freddys and they went under the owner ended up going to jail and my friend never got his w2's sent from them.....I heard the guy that owned fat freddys also owned beefys

Went to the game last night... Hens got pretty roughed up.... Granderson was doin ok though..... Lots of people for a rainy night game...
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:44 PM   #1807
BGFalcon

Likes (Received): 0

I was at the Hens game on Saturday too. Granderson looked good, but just about no one else could get a hit. The other pitcher, Homer Bailey, is one of the Reds' top prospects though.
BGFalcon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM   #1808
nickw311

Great pictures as usual!
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:35 PM   #1809
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

Thanks for the photos Bonjour. As a fan of urban architecure and historic buildings Toledo has a lot of eye candy for me, esp the warehouse district and DT. I personally don't give a crap about perrysberg and timber whatever. But this forum isn't about me is it?
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:00 AM   #1810
ToledoProgrammer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Thanks for the photos Bonjour. As a fan of urban architecure and historic buildings Toledo has a lot of eye candy for me, esp the warehouse district and DT. I personally don't give a crap about perrysberg and timber whatever. But this forum isn't about me is it?
Now if we can only recruit the rest of the Toledo into that frame of mind...we'd be set .
ToledoProgrammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:37 PM   #1811
Bonjourtoledo

Now now folks, we "must" embrace the area as a whole.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM   #1812
Bonjourtoledo

Regional Fortune 1000 Update

Now if First Solar, Xunlight Corp., and Calyxo USA Inc. would join the ranks plus this is a perfect time for First Solar to move their headquarters from Phoenix to Toledo region.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM   #1813
Bonjourtoledo

Erie Street Market Development Update

Very good news especially for the Warehouse District neighborhood and the city with the planned developments. It is time for the city to get out of the retail management business and let the market take place.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:57 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM   #1814
Bonjourtoledo

Toledo Zoo Development News

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:57 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:54 PM   #1815
Bonjourtoledo

North Toledo Development News

As mentioned in the above post in the middle of the Erie Street Market development post, the new Marriott Hotel has opened in North Toledo and the Menards will be opening this summer on Alexis Road. The former Bob Evans on Alexis across from North Towne is now a new mexican-cuisine restaurant.

Also indicating that there will be new developments at the former North Towne Square Mall with direct quote from the Toledo Blade 4-22-2008 article: "Also yesterday, Mayor Carty Finkbeiner - while highlighting new business developments along Alexis Road, west of I-75 - said a businessman could be interested in creating about 1,000 jobs at the vacant North Towne Square mall.

"We have a prospect there," Mr. Finkbeiner said. "It's 800,000-square feet [and] you add [21st Century Super Fitness club] and it's about a million-square-feet. We have an individual who is looking for a million square feet.""

There is also reports from the television news last night that Wal-Mart is looking at North Towne Square Mall and its surrounding area which is a great news because we can suck up all the Michigan folks (Bedford Township's 35,000 residents) to come down and spend their money into our city. Hopefully there will be more developments story in regards to the North Toledo projects as I will post as soon as it becomes available.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM   #1816
Bonjourtoledo

Maumee: Golden Gate Center Developments

Uptown Maumee Shoppers May Soon Need New Grocer As The Pharm Sells Store
BY NANCY GAGNET — MIRROR REPORTER

When it was announced earlier this month that Rite Aid intends to purchase The Pharm and discontinue selling grocery items, many in Maumee were left wondering where they would buy milk and bread.

“I’m going to miss that. It’s so easy to get in and out,” said Nancy Geitgey, who makes regular stops to buy groceries at The Pharm at Golden Gate Plaza.
“I drive down the trail on my way home from work and I stop here all the time,” she said.

Spartan Stores, Inc., of Grand Rapids, Mich., is actively negotiating plans to sell The Pharm to Rite Aid; however, those plans have not been finalized due to a 60-day due diligence period in which the buyer considers the option to purchase.

If a deal is reached, Rite Aid would continue the drugstore portion of the business but discontinue the grocery portion.

Sharon Kowalski of Maumee makes three or four stops each week at The Pharm at Golden Gate for staple grocery items.

“It will be a big inconvenience, but I’ll probably go to The Andersons more,” she said.

“My aunt who lives at Waterside comes here every week to buy her groceries and it will be a big inconvenience for her,” she said. “I’d like to see Maumee have another store to buy groceries.”

Mayor Tim Wagener agrees. “Our concern was to keep a grocery retail in uptown Maumee, but as a city we can’t control private property,” the mayor said.

The Golden Gate Plaza is owned by Trail Investors and leased by Spartan Stores, Inc., which purchased Seaway Food Town in 2000 for $179 million. The purchase included 47 grocery stores and 26 Pharm stores including Food Town and The Pharm at Golden Gate Plaza.

Several Food Town locations were closed in 2003 including the one at Golden Gate Plaza; however, The Pharm remained open.

According to the mayor, Spartan Stores chose to keep the former Food Town site vacant to avoid competition for The Pharm.

“They wouldn’t sublease the location or give it back to the landlord. They continued to pay rent on the empty space so that no stores would occupy the space and compete with The Pharm,” he said.

“There’s no love lost between Spartan Foods and myself,” he said. “They’ve pretty much destroyed the grocery and drug store business in the region and destroyed a lot of lives in the process.”

According to Mark Zyndorf, managing partner of Trail Investors, the owners intended to redevelop the property for some time but had not been able to.
“For the last five years we have tried to redevelop it – we own it but we don’t control the premises,” he said.

Zyndorf said that if Rite Aid takes over The Pharm, preliminary construction, which could take place in September, would include demolishing the site that housed Food Town and positioning a new Rite Aid store at that location.
At that time, The Pharm would either be “utilized or taken down.”

Zyndorf said that those renovation plans would then spark façade upgrades to the east side of the plaza, located on the other side of Gibbs Street.
“So basically it will look brand new,” he said. “We’re hoping to redevelop the whole center.”

City administrator John Jezak reiterated the fact that although plans have not been finalized for Golden Gate Plaza, something would likely happen at that location.

“Although the actual deal remains unsettled, in all likelihood the possibility exists that the building would eventually be demolished and a new Rite Aid would be built,” he said.

Plans for The Pharm located at Parkway Plaza in Maumee remain unclear.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:04 PM   #1817
Bonjourtoledo

Springfield Twp: Spring Meadows Redevelopment News

New retail plaza coming to old Sears building site
Posted on Holland-Springfield Journal website week of April 15th

The former Sears automotive building on Airport Highway soon will be demolished and replaced with a new retail plaza. The Springfield Township Trustees approved a site plan on March 17 for construction of a new multi-tenant retail building on the 1.85-acre property.

The site plan for Airport Meadows Crossing, 6720 Airport Highway, shows a 14,200-square-foot building with 84 parking spaces. “The developer is removing an eyesore that’s non-productive,” township zoning inspector Robert Seger told the trustees.

Tom Grubbs of Rudolph/ Libbe Properties, who is developing the property, said it will complement the adjacent building with Chipotle, Panera and Aspen Dental.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:06 PM   #1818
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
I believe it is another strip mall-like development and I'm quite surprised a restaurant or retail hasn't bought up the former Smokey Bones property unless they didn't care for the "rustic" exterior design of the building.
This new building will house Aspen Dental and here's their direct link: http://www.aspendent.com/index.html
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:09 PM   #1819
Bonjourtoledo

Westfield Franklin Park Expansion News

Three new retail and a restaurant that will be moving into the expansion portion of the Westfield Franklin Park mall (southeast-side) next to Sylvania Avenue and Royer Road: DSW, Old Navy, and Ulta; at this time no restaurant has been named.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:21 PM   #1820
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

Mr. Finkbeiner in February announced that Tetra Tech would develop a pedestrian-friendly walk along Swan Creek in the area between the Anthony Wayne Trail and the mouth of the creek, which flows into the Maumee River.

Company officials at the time said a 10 to 15-year timeline was being developed.

The first step would be environmental cleanup, Jeffrey Fleischman, a senior asset strategist with Tetra Tech, said earlier this year.

The 50 to 100 acres could include office space, homes, shops, and a waterfront promenade, he said..

If there were ever a place downtown an Andersons market would work best, I think this project would be it. Andersons, like Erie Street Market, is a destination retail establishment.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote