daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #1841
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Owens Community College Development News

Owens will buy Penta site
Written by By MARIE THOMAS Sentinel Education Editor
Posted on BG Sentinel-Tribune website 4-24-2008

The probable purchase of the Penta Career Center campus by neighboring Owens Community College is moving forward and could be finalized within weeks.

Members of the Owens Board of Trustees' Finance Committee voted unanimously Wednesday to recommend the board support the purchase.
The price has not been released, but the contract is being reviewed by Penta's legal counsel and, for Owens, the Ohio Attorney General's office.
John Satkowski, executive vice president for Business Affairs and chief financial officer at Owens, reported the purchase also would be pending land surveys and a title search. Both he and committee Chairman Jack Sculfort said they foresee the Board of Trustees voting on the purchase as its meeting May 6.

Penta's governing board, which next meets on May 14, also would have to vote on the agreement.
Satkowski said at the trustees' meeting earlier this month that both sides were in "mutual agreement on the price" but were still working out terms including closing date and the date Owens could take possession.
Owens, with about 20,000 students, was a logical buyer of the Penta campus once the vocational school announced it was building a new facility along Buck Road west of Interstate 75. The two schools are now neighbors on Oregon Road in Perrysburg Township. Owens actually is an offshoot of the vocational school's adult education department and when the college was created as a separate entity, Penta leased it the land for $1 a year. That lease runs through 2028. The purchase is expected to include the 28 acres leased by Owens plus the 27 acres that contain classrooms, offices and parking at Penta.

Owens received $12 million from the state toward the purchase and renovation of the Penta property. Satkowski only would say the purchase price was less than that amount.

However, he did add that local funds and additional state monies would be needed to change the usage of the vocational school's facilities to meet Owens' needs. Among the many expenses will be adding fire suppression systems to all the buildings and making the campus compliant with Americans with Disabilities Act codes.

Owens' most-recent capital plan included a request for $3 million from the state in fiscal year 2009-10 to help with renovation costs.
Satkowski hopes Owens will be able to at least use Penta's 400 parking spots this fall, and have some classrooms ready next spring. Owens officials have not announced what programs could be moved to the neighboring campus, but Provost Paul Unger said earlier this month possibilities include establishing a university center where area colleges could hold classes. "Certainly we're considering other programmatic options," he reported at this month's Board of Trustees meeting.

Brian Paskvan, vice president for Administration, led an 18-month study that included surveying Owens employees to determine how the Penta property could help meet the college's needs in coming years. The survey results, he said Wednesday, were very positive.

"The space will work for future programming expansions," he said. The purchase also has led to the development of a master facilities planning committee, which will help determine how the 300,000 square feet at Penta will be utilized.

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #1842
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

"We have a far more romantic, enticing chemistry going for us in downtown Toledo than does downtown Columbus," Mr. Finkbeiner said.

One of my all-time favorite quotes.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #1843
Bonjourtoledo

Marina District Development Update

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:58 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #1844
Bonjourtoledo

Erie Street Market Development News

Old April 26th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #1845
Bonjourtoledo

Riverwalk Development: Tetra Tech

Old April 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #1846
Bonjourtoledo

Solar Tech Boom Developments

Old April 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #1847
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
I believe some of the parcels they are referring to are: the vacant factory along St. Clair Street across from the downtown library, the Water Distribution building on Erie (south of Columbia Gas), the property across from the Water Distribution building on Erie, Erie Street Market, the lot across from Erie Street Market, some parcels along Erie Street going toward Lafayette/Anthony Wayne Trail/Erie Street intersection, and certain parcels along Swan Creek going toward the Maumee River nearby the Owens Corning world headquarters along Summit Street.
Here are the list of parcels credit to information provided by WUPW FOX 36:
227, 300, 302, 316, 318, 322, 324, 328, 330, 332, 348, 419, 416, 424 St Clair
630 11th
201, 348, 377, 381, 385, 390, 401 Erie
1, 13, 17, 21, 39, 45, 115, 176, 202, 220 Summit
300, 302 Collingwood
233 Oliver
200, 380 Hunt
500 Emerald
406 Williams
337 Broadway
341 Wade
120, 224, 320 Water
Old April 27th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #1848
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Thanks for the info Bonjour I'll have to keep watch on that.. My dad is working that area again so I'm sure he'll hear somethin.

In this weeks metro press theres an article about a new Hotel/Restaurant/reatail space being planned at 2933 and 2935 Navarre ave. Theres already been a zoning change and the restaurant will be a fast food chain that isnt in our area. 3-4 story Hampton Inn type Hotel, nothing else said on the retail....

Also in the same press.... Heckies Pond was finally restocked on Earth Day. 3,000 fish (blue gill, bass, perch, and walleye) were released. Couldnt believe it when they said walleye... The year long clean up of the pond is complete. Looks pretty nice with the new rock wall they put in.
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #1849
Bonjourtoledo

State of Downtown News

I am disappointed in this one-sided, unfair article in the Blade today about downtown and it's not right to conclude the state of downtown based on a few comments: http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...270302/-1/NEWS

Someone commented about this story on the Glass City Jungle blog 4-27-2008 with a predictable diatribe and I felt compelled to respond:

I have stated time after time in different posts in regards to businesses leaving and businesses opening in downtown and the state of it. This article is so one-sided and itís amazing they concluded the state of downtown based on a few comments. What about the other comments that can provide a fair view of this story? With high fuel costs, economic downturn, and the war, who doesnít have problems? We have growing pains as much as any other neighborhoods and suburbs. Itís not all doom-and-gloom as people believe it is.

Quiznoís, Monat, Kenís Flowers and Divas closed? So what, business is business! Considering in the past 6-8 months thereís been new businesses such as Ottawa Fish House, Harissaís, Mo Joeís, Erie Street Chowder House, Legendís, Toledo Easystreet expanded their business to serve breakfast menu, along with planned developments of Pizza Papalis in former Brenda Shop, opening-soon Dreamscape Home Center on Superior, coming soon Menís Clothing on St. Clair, new retail clothing in Davis Building, planned steakhouse restaurant next to Frickerís, opening-soon Ottawa Tavern, Flying Rhinoís Coffee shop at Navy Bistro, and many more developments.

The upcoming Farmerís Market will be in full bloom on Saturdays and Sundays which is a great atmosphere in the downtown area. Along with festivals, baseball games, parks, river, and convention events with the soon-to-be open first time world-class arena. The quality of life is priceless considering the location which beats wide roads and parking lots any day.

Bartley Lofts made itís debut since mid-2006 by selling over half of its unit with prices upwards to $400,000+, thatís pretty impressive considering the current housing market. Also RiverWest Townhouses sold over 32 units out of 40 with average price $230,000, and same story goes for Huron Lofts and Ottawa Lofts. The national housing market crisis will slow down the progress of the Triangle Building and steam plant project because itís expected.

The apartment market of this region is quite fierce and most have an occupancy ranging from 50-85% and it all depends on competition, location, and rates. Foreclosures on apartments are not a new thing considering thatís part of the typical market process across the country. Once the apartments goes into foreclosures other investors will buy it because it is a money-maker short term not long-term thatís why many apartments change owners every 3-4 years which is a normalcy of the business.

We would love to have a grocery in downtown which is not a common scene in most downtown across this country. The Andersons Market, Trader Joeís or even a smaller Kroger would be a great fit but the downtown residents and small businesses are making long-term goal to bring one here. It would do so well for the central city and even the Old West End folks. Considering how much myself and my neighbors pay for groceries weekly, the business will be good.

Iíve said what I could but I cannot change peopleís constant negatitive thoughts toward downtown because they think itís boring, unsafe, and scary. The paradimn needs to move on from people thinking downtown is nothing nowadays because itís not the case at all. But sorry for those folks but for me, itís a huge plus.
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #1850
Pilliod Njaim

I am disappointed in this one-sided, unfair article in the Blade today about downtown and it's not right to conclude the state of downtown based on a few comments: http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...270302/-1/NEWS

That was a very negative, one-sided article. I expect much better from a paper with the good reputation of the Blade. Your rebuttal was well-written and I pretty much agree with everything you wrote.

With the massive Swan Creek project and Tetra Tech, I think downtown will be very close (or right at) critical mass once it's completed.
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #1851
ToledoProgrammer

Likes (Received): 0

Ridiculously one sided. I got wind of the article via SwampBubbles, and the typical Toledo bashing took place, of course. These are people who rarely ever even make it downtown and are against any sort of urban revitalization of Toledo. I LOVE IT. I love going to work in the heart of the Warehouse District and being able to walk to all my clients or walk to an endless number of restaurants -- within minutes. Its' even better when we take out our Segways and ride them around downtown.

The ONLY complaint I have currently is with some building owners downtown. They want to charge an arm and a leg for an abandoned building and do not consider the build out costs, which is a good reason why growth has slowed. I know of several key buildings that have been sought after but the owners want to charge a ridiculous amount. You can't charge an arm and a leg with a downtown in the state that it is in -- which isn't terrible but this isn't Cleveland or Chicago.
ToledoProgrammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #1852
Bonjourtoledo

Erie Street Market/Warehouse Development UPDATE

Two local TV media news on the Tetra Tech proposal:

Council debates land below proposed riverwalk
Posted on WUPW FOX website 4-29-2008

There were tough questions Tuesday afternoon for members of Tetra Tech, the group trying to develop Swan Creek.

Many think Tetra Tech's $4.2 million purchase of 27 parcels of land will transform Downtown Toledo while others worry about the ground the plans will sit on.

Many consider Swan Creek a real jewel of the area that has an abundance of potential, but the creek's past is industrial.

The concern of what lies below the soil could play a big part in the dea. Before the proposed Swan Creek Riverwalk project become a part of the Glass City waterfront, developers will need to dig up some dirt.

Tetra Tech representatives say their company specializes in projects with contaminated land.

Part of the project costs include a $5000 down payment to the city on a sale of $4.2 million for the 27 parcels of land, which include the Erie Street Market.

The deal will be in the planning stages through Spring 2009, and if it lasts longer some would like to see Tetra Tech put up $500,000.

Even though the $5000 down payment is low, Tetra Tech representatives say they've already spent money on things like title work, surveys and lawyers, which shows their commitment to the project.

The council may vote on the plan the first week of May.

Swan Creek development plans founder on money questions
Posted on WTOL CBS 11 Website 4-30-2008

TOLEDO -- The multi-million dollar plans for Toledo's Erie Street Market and development along Swan Creek go forward but not without some concern over the rather paltry amount of earnest money a California-based company is offering.

Tetra Tech anticipates spending $4 million on shops, living spaces and a boardwalk along the creek. At a council committee hearing Tuesday, some members indicated they'd like to see a larger commitment than the $5,000 Tetra Tech is paying for first dibs on the project.

The company, however, is saying it won't disappoint. "We take that very seriously. We don't want to exceed expectations at this point, but we're very interested in this opportunity," said Jeffrey Fleischman, Tetra Tech.

Toledo City Council won't vote on a new plan for the market until May 6.
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #1853
Bonjourtoledo

Uptown District Development News

Beloved Uptown pub Ottawa Tavern to reopen in mid-May
by Matt Cummings
Posted on Toledo City Paper website April 30th 2008

Those who forget the past may be doomed to repeat it, but those who remember it fondly are in for a treat. Ottawa Tavern, one of Toledo's premier nightspots through much of the '90s, is on its way back. Big time.

With a new location at 1815 Adams Street in downtown's blooming Entertainment District, the new OT has a promising future filling what general manager, Tim Wilford, sees as the bar's special niche in the neighborhood.

"It's a rock and roll bar," Wilford says. "We're looking to provide something different than what's down there right now. Pub St. George on Friday and Saturday nights, they're kind of doing the nightclub thing with DJs and that short of thing. Manhattan's is doing kind of a more laidback music scene. But my goal with our bands is rock and roll. Full bands. Good quality. Bands that have a diverse background. And I think that's how we'll blend in with the neighborhood."

Other bars and restaurants in the area are eager to have the company.

"The more the merrier," says Sara Bennett, manager of Manhattan's. "I think it's good for the area."

Manos Paschalis, who was a pioneering restaurateur in the area when his Manos Greek Restaurant opened in 1982, agrees.

"It's a very exciting thing because all of a sudden, we're creating a critical mass of restaurants and bars. We're very pleased. It creates a cluster, a focal point for the whole area. I think people are going to love it."

But, even with such a promising future, OT's enthusiastic new owner, Tom Baird, is eager to recapture the spirit of the tavern's glory days.

"I have so many friends that went there in the Nineties," Baird says. "I have friends who got engaged there, that sort of thing. So it's just a lot of good memories. This is really geared toward the thirty and over crowd that used to go there and wants a place to go again."

"And," he adds cheerfully, "this place is custom built for a rock and roll band."

In addition to several area bands already booked to perform, including Mas Fina, 56 Daze, and the Frostbite Band, Baird says that a reunion of the original lineup of locally-legendary party band the Homewreckers is in talks for the grand-opening, which is slated for mid-May.

For more information, visit www.otavern.com.
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #1854
Bonjourtoledo

Erie Street Market/Warehouse Development UPDATE

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 01:59 AM.
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:19 AM   #1855
Pilliod Njaim

Updates on Dillin Corp.'s website

We finally have more details and timelines for the Marina District and Southwyck!!

from the site:

The Marina District project will forever change the face of the Maumee River, downtown Toledo and Northwest Ohio.

Today, the Maumee river is alive with activity from the Toledo Rowing Club to private boaters to freighters. The 125 acre Marina District is perfectly positioned across the river from Downtown Toledo with a view of the setting sun over the skyline. The planning & construction is underway - 2007 kicked off the first year with the new Marina in operation. When the Marina District is complete, a passenger ferry terminal, restaurants, & a boardwalk along the river will compliment this upscale docking facility.With 1,500 residential units complemented by a retail & commercial district connecting to East Toledo's Main Street & International Park, the Marina District will add yet another hub of activity to the exciting growth in Toledo.

As part of the much-anticipated de-malling of Southwyck, the enclosed mall will be opened up to a pedestrian friendly open-air center.

The Village at Southwyck will be a mixed-use project consisting of 250 residential units and approximately 600,000 sf of retail. The retail will include two major anchor department stores, a major grocery store and the balance of space to be made up of smaller retailers. With average household income at $63,000 in a densely populated neighborhood of 160,000 people, we are close to upscale neighborhoods and Arrowhead Business Park with over 23,000 employees. We are also close to the Ohio Turnpike Interchange - just one-half mile south. The site is fronted by Reynolds Road, which carries 32,000 vehicles per day. We have positioned this project with the City of Toledo as a major redevelopment with all jurisdictions in total support. Consturction is targeted to begin July 2009 and opening its new doors on September 1, 2010.

http://www.dillin.com/southwyck.html
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM   #1856
Bonjourtoledo

Thanks for the update Pilliod, great to see two projects on one website.
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:52 PM   #1857
Bonjourtoledo

Erie Township, MI: SunCrest Energy Development News

Old May 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM   #1858
Bonjourtoledo

Bowling Green: BGSU Development News

Old May 1st, 2008, 09:56 PM   #1859
Bonjourtoledo

Fort to Port Developement News: U.S. Route 24

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 02:00 AM.
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:57 PM   #1860
Bonjourtoledo

Brand Whitlock LMHA Housing Development UPDATE

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 02:00 AM.