daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #1881
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

North Baltimore: CSX Intermodal Development UPDATE!

CSX to sink $80 million in North Baltimore site
Written by By JAN LARSON Sentinel County Editor
Thursday, 08 May 2008

CSX Transportation is planning a $700 million “National Gateway” with $80 million being invested right here in Wood County.

Railroad officials announced Wednesday that they are moving ahead with a new rail terminal near North Baltimore, on the southern edge of the county. The railyard is part of a national project to move freight more efficiently for less money.

The project calls for CSX to invest $300 million in upgrades that would allow trains with double-stacked cars to run from the East Coast ports to the Midwest. Federal and state governments are being asked to kick in $400 million to change 79 overpasses or tunnels that don’t have enough clearance for the double-decker train cars.

Though part of the CSX project rests on the government’s commitment to funds, the North Baltimore railyard is being built with or without that support, according to Lisa Mancini, senior vice president for CSX infrastructure initiatives.

“This facility is important enough that we are doing this” regardless of that outside funding, Mancini told a packed hearing room at the county office building. Some of those present were just curious about the huge project, and others wanted to know how their businesses could get a piece of the $80 million being sunk into the site.

CSX has already purchased approximately 500 acres to the west of North Baltimore. Though there was initial resistance by some neighbors, five homeowners were bought out at “more than fair prices,” according to Tom Blaha, executive director of the Wood County Economic Development Commission.

Mancini stressed that her company is more sensitive to landowners’ feelings than they may have been in the past.

“We may have railroaded our way into communities in the past,” she said. “But we are trying to do this in a way so we are as welcome as possible.”

The village of North Baltimore is definitely welcoming the rail terminal, according to town officials at Wednesday’s announcement.
“We are very, very excited,” said Councilman William Cameron. “Due to the recent factory closings we’ve had, this will make a major turnaround for North Baltimore.”

In the past year or so, shut downs at two plants have resulted in an estimated 300 people losing their jobs.

“This definitely is a shot in the arm for us,” said Village Administrator Kathy Healy. “It gives us hope for the future. We’ve taken a couple of hard hits in the last couple months. But we’re not drying up, we’re not giving up.”
While the railyard itself is expected to employ 100 or so people, as many as 3,000 jobs are predicted to come from spinoff businesses such as warehouses and distribution centers.

“We’re very fortunate,” Blaha said. “This is going to benefit the entire region.”
CSX expects to break ground at the site before the end of the year, and have the terminal open in the early part of 2010, according to Rusty Orben, director of public affairs for CSX.

Orben said the “National Gateway” project is vital to handle the freight needs of the nation.

“There has to be an alternative to moving freight across this country,” he said.

National statistics estimate that freight traffic in the nation will jump 67 percent by 2020. Railways are the best able to handle the loads, Mancini said.
“The highway infrastructure is already congested, already decaying,” she said.

The vast majority of foreign goods comes through ports in Los Angeles and Long Beach, which are increasingly congested, Mancini said.
“Shippers are looking to East Coast ports,” she explained. And reaching those eastern ports will be made easier when the Panama Canal undergoes its expansion, Mancini added.

So the “National Gateway” plan will link ports in Wilmington, N.C.; Portsmouth, Va.; and Baltimore, Md., to the new terminal near North Baltimore and an expanded terminal near Columbus.

The goal is to have terminals large enough to handle the double-stacked trains, and rearrange them onto other trains headed to specific destinations in the Midwest, or shift them to semi-trucks.

“All this should be in place by 2015, in time for the Panama Canal expansion,” Mancini said.

“This will improve the flow of freight. Wood County will be very much like our hub,” she said, comparing the railyard to an airport hub where passengers are then diverted to smaller planes to their destinations. “It’s a very efficient, cost- effective solution.”

It is believed the rail project will take a lot of long-haul trucks off the highways. That should not only relieve congestion on roadways, but also reduce greenhouse gas emissions, Mancini said.

A train can move one ton of freight 423 miles on a single gallon of fuel, and carry the load of more than 280 trucks, she said.

Ohio already has more rail miles than any of the other 22 states covered by the CSX system, according to Orben.

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #1882
Bonjourtoledo

Owens Community College Development News

Owens to pay $6M for Penta
Written by By MARIE THOMAS Sentinel Education Editor
Wednesday, 07 May 2008

A $6 million price tag was a good enough deal for Owens Community College officials to agree to purchase the adjacent Penta Career Center.

The college's Board of Trustees on Tuesday agreed to the deal. Penta board members are expected to support the agreement when they meet May 14.
The purchase is a natural progression for Owens, which, with 20,000 students, has continued to look for areas in which to expand.

According to Owens President Christa Adams, she and Penta Superintendent Fred Susor have had several conversations about such a deal during the past seven years. "We've been talking about that since I've been here," she said Tuesday.

"It's been a long time coming," proclaimed board Chairman John Moore prior to the vote.

The deal doubles the size, to 55 acres, of Owens' Perrysburg Township campus. It gives the college an additional 400 parking spaces plus numerous classrooms and offices in the center's main high school building, which is a former Army depot; a shop area that is being used by Penta for automotive body work, welding and carpentry classes; a 300-seat auditorium; a greenhouse; plus storage facilities.

The purchase price also includes the 28 acres on which Owens sits, which are leased from Penta at $1 per year. Owens is using $12 million received from the Ohio Board of Regents to cover the purchase price as well as renovations, according to John Satkowski, executive vice president for Business Affairs and chief financial officer at Owens.

Bringing the campus up to code is expected to cost more than the purchase price.

"There's a good $5 million, easy, in ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and compliance issues," Satkowski stated. "It's about a $15 million project, when we're all said and done."

He estimated $3 million for cosmetic updates alone.

The state's Controlling Board is expected to review the agreement and render a decision on the release of funds when it meets May 19, Satkowski said.
The sale should close on June 30, and Owens will take immediate possession.
Penta's Administration Building, with its offices and classrooms, is the first on the college's list for renovations, said Satkowski. College officials hope to be using some of the new classrooms by next spring.

"I think it was just a natural that we started talking," Penta Treasurer Carrie Herringshaw said this morning about the pending deal.

Penta purchased 140 acres west on Interstate 75 in 2001 for its new campus, which it will open this fall.

According to Herringshaw, no other entity had come forward to express interest in the career center's facility.

Had another company purchased the Penta site, it could have created future issues for the college. Owens, an offshoot of the vocational school's adult education department, has its lease agreement with Penta through 2028.
That agreement was among the items Owens wanted reviewed by the state's Attorney General's Office, according to Satkowski.

In addition to its expansion on Oregon Road, Owens also is expanding its presence in Lucas County. The college agreed Tuesday to lease a building on Indian Circle Drive in Maumee for its Workforce and Community Services division at a cost of $800,000 each year. The facility will be used for offices and classrooms.

According to Satkowski, the college will try to sell its building on Tracy Road which now houses the division.
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #1883
Bonjourtoledo

Rossford: Bass Pro Shops Development Update

Deleted due to Toledo Blade's request.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 02:02 AM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #1884
Bonjourtoledo

GM Powertrain Development News

Old May 9th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #1885
Bonjourtoledo

Perrysburg: Fort Meigs Development News

Old May 9th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #1886
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Mall Redevelopment News

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 27th, 2008 at 02:03 AM.
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #1887
Bonjourtoledo

Toledo Model Block Development News

Old May 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #1888
ToledoProgrammer

Likes (Received): 0

Just a few things I noticed while heading to lunch the other day:

I don't know yet what's going in there, but the Ft. Meigs Auto Electric building right across from Fifth Third opening gates has been bought and I had seen them cleaning it out and doing renovations.

Also, not that adds to any development impact, but I noticed AT&T put up a nice big sign at the top of their building that will add to the skyline while driving on I-75.
ToledoProgrammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #1889
Bonjourtoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoProgrammer View Post
Just a few things I noticed while heading to lunch the other day:

I don't know yet what's going in there, but the Ft. Meigs Auto Electric building right across from Fifth Third opening gates has been bought and I had seen them cleaning it out and doing renovations.

Also, not that adds to any development impact, but I noticed AT&T put up a nice big sign at the top of their building that will add to the skyline while driving on I-75.
The former Ft. Meigs Auto Electric which is 9 and 11 N. Huron Street shows a property transaction on 4/10/2008 for $72,000 and on 5/8/2008 for $175,000. I've noticed some movements there as well but not sure what it will be.

The huge AT&T logo signage was put up this past Thursday which caught my eye and it's well in the view of the stands from Fifth Third Field. I wonder if they will install another one on the north side for the upcoming new downtown arena.
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #1890
Bonjourtoledo

Southwyck Mall Redevelopment Update

Oh brother--what is this???!!! Why don't the current owners of Southwyck just sell it to Larry Dillin and move on? It is quite obvious they are not interested in redeveloping or running a major commercial-retail establishment.

Old May 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #1891
Bonjourtoledo

Red Cross Regional Center Development Update

This development project was mentioned in past posts of its progress in this thread and it's good to know that over 200 jobs will be merged, retained, and new jobs will be added.

Old May 12th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #1892
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 2

"The present condition of the mall makes it a health hazard for the public and employees working there," Mr. Zervos said. "They'll have 72 hours to clean up the mold and secure the asbestos so dust is not allowed to escape into the public."

It's time to just tear down the mall and get it over with. Let the redevelopment project begin.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #1893
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Anyone else check out sundays sports page in the Blade? Pretty big article about Savage Hall, a lot of it was about having to make donations to even get season tickets in the lower bowl. I think its stupid. There asking way to much. I went to a game last year and it wasnt even a quarter full... Even tho thats kinda some BS I still cant wait to see this complete they say it'll be the premiere venue of the MAC. I dunno EMU has a pretty nice facility, BG's looks a little basic but anything brand new has to be good.....
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #1894
Pilliod Njaim

This new arena is taking shape fast. I don't live in Toledo, so I had to snoop these photos from http://www.flickr.com/photos/_kris_/2490933881/

January

April

May
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #1895
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 115

Good find man.....Been hopin some different view shots popped up. Google Arena419 for another site to keep updated. Someones gotta email the dude tho he hasnt updated since like late March. I wanna see some more shots from that parking garage. These will definatly do for now
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #1896
nickw311

Can't wait to see how fast this goes up. I am moving to Chicago for the summer so I will have a nice surprise to look forward to come August.

Also, I remember a few months ago Bonjour made a post specifically about the arena, is that still around? I haven't seen it lately.
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #1897
nickw311

Mud Hens mentioned in ESPN article

http://sports.espn.go.com/travel/news/story?id=3387179

Quote:
Another minor-league team to capitalize on this what's-old-is-new-again design approach is the Toledo Mud Hens.

The International League team's Fifth Third Field is home to a section of "Roost Seats" courtesy of a deck that extends off the third floor of a renovated six-story warehouse down its right field line. Believe it or not, the first three rows of the 282-seat Roost actually hang right out over the playing surface.

Mud Hens spokesman Jason Griffin explained the thinking of team management, Lucas County administrators, and the architects at HNTB who made the group decision to transform what was an abandoned property into a signature ballpark feature.

"The building adds a lot of character to the field," Griffin said. "It might have been cheaper to knock it down, but if we had done that the field wouldn't have the same charm. And fans wouldn't have the chance to watch the game from such a unique location."

In addition to housing team offices, banquet facilities and what Griffin describes as the largest souvenir store in minor-league baseball, the building's trademark feature, the Roost, was designed to replicate the effect at old Tiger Stadium, which once offered a similar overhang to fans of the Mud Hens' big-league parent club in Detroit.
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #1898
tk29

More arena info

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...ST08/805140416

Article published Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Tight-site arena likely to have huge impact downtown

Where several months ago there was rubble from demolished buildings, then a gaping hole for foundation and prep work, there is now the unmistakable, oval shape of an arena rising in the heart of downtown Toledo.

Many of the same companies and people who were involved in the construction of Fifth Third Field prior to its opening in 2002 are hard at work in making the Lucas County Arena a reality, but the comparison goes beyond that.

When our marvelous baseball stadium was just a hole in the ground with concrete pillars poking out of the dirt and steel beams dangling from cranes, I walked around the construction site and didn't envision any way in the world a first-class ballpark could be squeezed into such tight confines. Some 3.4 million visitors in the six-plus years since would tell me I was wrong.

So I expect to be wrong this time, too. But that's the first thing you notice in watching the arena's main concourse take shape with its back to Madison Avenue - it seems so compact.

Tim Meyer, the project manager for the Lathrop Company, said the entire site is about five acres, tops. The building footprint, as he called the area upon which the arena will sit, is about three acres.

How big is that? Well, if you built a tee box at the corner of Jefferson and Huron, where the main entrance will be positioned in the southwest corner of the arena, and plant some grass for a green where the loading dock will be in the northeast corner, you'd need about an 8-iron to play the par-3 hole. That's it.

In the construction game, they call it a tight site.

Yet, 17 months from now, in October of 2009, upwards of 7,500 fans will be in the arena to watch the Toledo Walleye hockey team play its home opener. The venue will seat roughly 1,000 more for concerts and somewhere in between for the Ringling Brothers circus or Disney on Ice or Sesame Street Live.

The key to a tight site, where you can't build too far out, is to build up. The roof of our arena will peak about 80 feet above ground level. That's where fans will enter - the same level where the team merchandise shop and banquet facilities will be located - before climbing or riding escalators up to the second level and entry to the lower bowl seating areas. The third floor will feature 20 private suites, party decks, and club-level seats that will overhang the lower bowl, much like at Fifth Third Field.

"It will be a very intimate building," said Joe Napoli, the vice president-general manager of the Mud Hens who will serve in a similar role with the Walleye and, possibly, an arena football team. "Fans will love the feel, especially for hockey. In a lot of bigger arenas, the second deck is so far removed from the action. Not here.

"We visited a lot of arenas and we learned that a lot of them in mid-sized communities like Toledo are over-built. We saw 12,000 to 15,000-seat arenas where maybe 9,000 seats are being used on a regular basis. They spent millions for those extra 3,000 or 5,000 seats and they see no return on that investment. We saw a lot of unused space or space not being used wisely. And you still have to heat, cool, and maintain it.

"This facility is being done differently. It's compact, intimate. Our responsibility has been to focus on every square foot of the building and make sure each one contributes to the operation and to the fan experience."

Steve Miller of SMG, a management firm for public assembly facilities, will be general manager of the arena and has four months under his belt as GM of the SeaGate Convention Centre. While the Walleye will be the arena's main tenant with about 40 home playing dates per season, Miller will be responsible for bringing in the circus and monster trucks, MMA and pro wrestling, ice shows and dog shows, concerts and outside sporting events, like prep basketball and hockey tournaments.

"Part of the plan is to take arena events out of the convention center," said Miller, who came to Toledo after a lengthy SMG stint at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids, Mich. "We're aiming for between 100 and 115 events a year, including the Walleye games. There has been very, very keen interest in this market by some of the [touring companies] that would come in for multiple shows. I think the arena is a perfect size. It's going to be a great complex."

And complex is the key word. Toledo will soon become one of the few cities of its size - or, for that matter, of any size - in America to have its outdoor stadium, indoor arena and convention center lined up from one city block to the next.

"And that's just part of it," Napoli added. "The riverfront is a block or two to the east, the Valentine Theater is a block to the north, the art museum is exactly one mile from the front door of the arena, Promenade Park is a short walk, and the zoo is within a few miles. All of a sudden, you're looking at an impressive entertainment center with so many attractions so close together."

Napoli estimates more than one million people will visit the two major sports venues per year. He said all the downtown attractions will draw upwards of 2.5 million visitors annually.

And he expects the new arena to spur even more of a social renaissance in the city's center.

As part of the "tight site" format, neither Fifth Third Field nor the arena includes franchised restaurants, taverns or retail shops, other than team merchandise outlets. And, because our teams are steered by nonprofit boards that can afford to see the revenue go elsewhere, all parking is off site.

It's all part of the master plan that funnels fans over several blocks past eateries, watering holes, and specialty shops on their way to and from the ballpark. It will be no different with the new arena and, said Napoli, "We anticipate entrepreneurs will look at downtown in a new light because there will now be 12 months of constant activity in this area."

Yes, this could truly be huge for downtown Toledo.

Remember, big things often come in small packages.

Dave Hackenberg is a Blade sports writer.
tk29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #1899
Pilliod Njaim

Yet, 17 months from now, in October of 2009, upwards of 7,500 fans will be in the arena to watch the Toledo Walleye hockey team play its home opener. The venue will seat roughly 1,000 more for concerts and somewhere in between for the Ringling Brothers circus or Disney on Ice or Sesame Street Live.

Ah, I think he made a mistake here. Throughout the entire planning and construction process, I remember always seeing figures of 9,000 for hockey and up to 12,000 for concerts.

You certainly want at least 10,000 capacity for concerts, as that will attract a lot more of the big shows Toledo is currently lacking. I agree 15,000 seats is complete overkill at most arenas, but Toledo can support 10,000. It's much cheaper to build that capacity now rather than later with renovation. UT (9,000 seats) is under $30 million renovation right now, and they're barely adding any capacity.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; May 15th, 2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #1900
ilovetoledo

NEW HOMES IN TOLEDO?!!?!?!!

New Schools, New Neighborhoods Development
NORTH TOLEDO -- If you build it, they will come. At least, that's what one north Toledo group is hoping.

They're building a new neighborhood around the nearly completed Chase Elementary School.

News 11's Tanieya Lewis reported live from the neighborhood in development.

This is how it works. Families who move into the neighborhood off of Ontario will get to send their kids to the brand new Chase Elementary School. The school will offer an eco-friendly curriculum, so kids will get to do projects in the wetlands nearby.

The wetlands is why the developer chose the location -- calling it a "Neighborhood of Choice."

The project is part of the "New School, New Neighborhood" coalition where developers are building homes around four TPS schools under construction. It's an effort to transform the entire neighborhoods and attract working families such as those from nearby Jeep and Libbey Glass.

The first home is going up and is already sold. There will be 32 homes in this neighborhood by the end of the project. Homes are expected to cost around $115,000.
ilovetoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote