daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2006, 03:23 PM   #341
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 187

Why is this wrong? WhiteMagick has a valid point and you may too. I just wonder what is "wrong" about what WhiteMagick said.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2006, 03:30 PM   #342
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Dubai had over 6 million tourists last year. Loads of people think they're building these to attract tourists but they've already attracted tourists, and that's without opening up chav resorts like in costa del sol.

I don't like these towers either but for different reasons, not because they're panic building
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 04:53 PM   #343
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
Dubai had over 6 million tourists last year. Loads of people think they're building these to attract tourists but they've already attracted tourists, and that's without opening up chav resorts like in costa del sol.

I don't like these towers either but for different reasons, not because they're panic building
I didn't say that they were ungly because they are panic building. I said that it seems the UAE is panic building in an effort to try and attract tourists to replace the oil industry. And i showed interest in this effort by hoping that they will succeed for the good of the country.

Dubai seems to be seeking out rich visitors with all these luxury hotels and villas. They seem to be on a good path and getting close to their goal. Yet the UAE will face tough competition from countries like the USA, Spain, France and Italy which has traditionally been the top tourist attractions but also from rising tourist destinations like Hong kong, China, Turkey, India, Brazil etc.

Ireland in 2004 had 7 million visitors and it doesn't boast as many tourist attractions and destinations like Dubai.
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 05:25 PM   #344
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

Can tourism alone really make a country economically successful? Tourism entails countries to provide sights that would be visited again by tourists after visiting it before. It's very tricky...
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 05:26 PM   #345
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

We might have had 7 million visitors but it's way different here. Most tourists here are Americans who have Irish roots and want to visit the country to see the place their ancestors came from. If Ireland did nothing then we'd still have tourists coming. Dubai however, have to create this industry from scratch
Old June 1st, 2006, 05:35 PM   #346
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 187

Tourism can define whether a country is rich or poor. Imagine how slow the recovery operation in the Indonesia and the Maldives etc would have been after the tsunami if touriss did not go back to the holiday resorts which remained undamaged. The money received has been used in the rebuilding process. In Spain, tourism is massive, expecially along the costas. Spain would be a hell of a lot different if it was not this popular. Dubai still has a long way to come when it comes to tourism.

I can understand where this panic building idea is coming from and it does seem apparent but doesnt every country (even if Dubai is an emirate) want to make tourism huge? Dubai have only just realised the potential of tourism on the economy and they are now using it to their advantage to make it become the main industry in the country.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 07:05 PM   #347
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Ireland has 7m visitors and is a country, while Dubai is a relatively small city.

You are saying the UAE is panic building... that is not true,.. it is, once again , mainly not the UAE, the state or the govt which is building, there are developers aiming to gain money, to sell apts, and it obviously works perfect for them.

Nobody is terrified about oil anymore, oil is only 7% of Dubai's economy, nobody cares.
tourism has already replaced it with counting 1/3 of the econony, and figures expecting to double withing 5 years from now.

And it is , once agina, not only tourism Dubai is focussing on, you should have realized there is much more.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 09:43 PM   #348
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 203

/\ quite unbelivable how 7 mio tourists account for 1/3rd.
Means that we shouldnt pay attention to the nr7 but the WHOPPING amount €€€ they must be leaving behind in Dubai
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:10 PM   #349
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahraini Spirit
Well I personally think this beats the last post I made (courtesy of Philipp Eigenmann)

Enjoy .
New York still looks way better than that.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:48 PM   #350
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123

dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 11:33 PM   #351
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 27

random question. what is the average yearly temp in dubai. i know its arid, but its right off the sea so i start wondering

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 11:33 PM   #352
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
True but that is only a small section of Dubai, and this is not a NYC thread.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 01:11 AM   #353
european

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Who said it didnt.

You cant compare NY to dubai in anyway, NY is just too good and everyone knows that so there was no point of this. BTW i think once all the buildings in marina are done it will look much better then it is now.

Last edited by european; June 2nd, 2006 at 01:21 AM.
european no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 02:23 PM   #354
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo
Ireland has 7m visitors and is a country, while Dubai is a relatively small city.

You are saying the UAE is panic building... that is not true,.. it is, once again , mainly not the UAE, the state or the govt which is building, there are developers aiming to gain money, to sell apts, and it obviously works perfect for them.

Nobody is terrified about oil anymore, oil is only 7% of Dubai's economy, nobody cares.
tourism has already replaced it with counting 1/3 of the econony, and figures expecting to double withing 5 years from now.

And it is , once agina, not only tourism Dubai is focussing on, you should have realized there is much more.
Taking my country as an example tourism is not an industry you should base your economy upon. We learned that the hard way and we are already taking steps to turn into a high tech, banking and info economy.

They sell apartments to people who are not citizens. More than 50% of your population are not citizens. And the people who buy these apartments buy them as holiday villas. They still base their sells on tourism.

Anyways i am happy things are working out for you. Or atleast for Dubai. Why are are these projects so concentrated in Dubai. What about the rest of the UAE? I don't see any infrastructure for tourism being built anywhere else than Dubai.

To european.

Of course NY is too good to compate it to Dubai but i am sure nevertheless when those cranes go away, the night comes and the lights go on it will be a pretty skyline.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:41 PM   #355
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

What is your country?
Old June 3rd, 2006, 12:56 AM   #356
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Im guessing Las Vegas.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 10:36 AM   #357
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Since when is Las Vegas a country? lol Its Cyprus
Old June 3rd, 2006, 10:54 AM   #358
yusef

Likes (Received): 1

You both have very strong points that should be united instead of seperated, now shut up and answer my questions!

From the picture-
Are the 'blank' spaces going to be filled up with more buildings? Or no more buildings planned for this area?

thanx
yusef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 12:32 PM   #359
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

If you mean the space in front of the towers in the first pics of this project i think it will be gardens and gazibos and then the beach. If are talking about the pic in this page i don't think so. It's just a pic of the project from the sea.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 01:00 PM   #360
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec

Bangkok had 13 million tourist last year, but sadly we never had this kind of boom..

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote