daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #601
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

I appreciate your works, thanks ,Imre.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #602
bertiboy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Just to compare:

June 2004 (by Dubai Freak)

October 29th (by AltinD)

[img]http://************/fa2c6w.jpg[/img]
waaaauw, now i'm convinced, dubai is really the fastest growing city in the world. This is reaaaally impressive!!

Keep on shooting this beautifull pictures! Really fantastic!!!!
bertiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #603
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

13-14 Dec

JBR

... and Marina Promenade

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #604
RandySavage

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/n...re3/index.html

Nation Geographic feature on Dubai in Jan. 2007 issue. Excerpt:

There once was a sheikh who dreamed big. His realm, on the shores of the Persian Gulf, was a sleepy, sun-scorched village occupied by pearl divers, fishermen, and traders who docked their ramshackle dhows and fishing boats along a narrow creek that snaked through town. But where others saw only a brackish creek, this sheikh, Rashid bin Saeed al Maktoum, saw a highway to the world.

One day in 1959, he borrowed many millions of dollars from his oil-rich neighbor, Kuwait, to dredge the creek until it was wide and deep enough for ships. He built wharves and warehouses and planned for roads and schools and homes. Some thought he was mad, others just mistaken, but Sheikh Rashid believed in the power of new beginnings. Sometimes at dawn, with his young son, Mohammed, by his side, he'd walk the empty waterfront and paint his dream in the air with words and gestures. And it was, in the end, as he said. He built it, and they came.

His son, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum, now rules Dubai, and around that creek has built towering dreams of his own, transforming the sunrise vision of his father into a floodlit, air-conditioned, skyscrapered fantasy world of a million people. With its Manhattan-style skyline, world-class port, and colossal, duty-free shopping malls, little Dubai now attracts more tourists than the whole of India, more shipping vessels than Singapore, and more foreign capital than many European countries. The people of 150 nations have moved here to live and work. Dubai has even built man-made islands—some in the shape of palm trees—to accommodate the wealthiest of them. Its economic growth rate, 16 percent, is nearly double that of China. Construction cranes punctuate the skyline like exclamation points.

Dubai is also a rare success story in the Middle East, a region with a history of failure and stagnation. Whether Dubai represents a glitzy anomaly or a model to be copied by other Arab nations is a question worth asking these days, as the Islamic world struggles to cope with modernization. Abdulrahman al Rashid, a Saudi journalist and director of the Al Arabiya news channel, put it this way: "Dubai is putting pressure on the rest of the Arab and Muslim world. People are beginning to ask their governments: If Dubai can do it, why can't we?"

Dubai, it must be said, is like no other place on Earth. This is the world capital of living large; the air practically crackles with a volatile mix of excess and opportunity. It's the kind of place where tennis stars Andre Agassi and Roger Federer play an exhibition match on the rooftop helipad of the opulent Burj al Arab megahotel; where diamond-encrusted cell phones do a brisk business at $10,000 apiece; where millions of people a year fly in just to go shopping.

Get the whole story in the pages of National Geographic magazine.
RandySavage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #605
jonovision

Now just add a little touch of greenery and JBR will be quite nice.
jonovision no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #606
european

Likes (Received): 25

Most of towers look very boring in my opinion.
european no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #607
beyutch

Likes (Received): 0

I see all those towers clustered together and all I think are 'traffic jams'. Rush hour is going to be a bitch there.
beyutch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #608
xiaoluis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Oh my god That's insane..!!
xiaoluis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #609
mikering
Edificio más bajo anexo

Likes (Received): 5

at least imre!!!!! w8 long to see u again! great updates thx .. needed em
mikering no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #610
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

taken on Jan 2, 2007 by Brian McMorrow

some shots from flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #611
Brasil Guy

Likes (Received): 5

Gosh...most os the towers are really really really ugly
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #612
antar abuauad
BANNED

jbr is simply beautiful and elegant full of style with natural harmony , some people dont have a good taste
antar abuauad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #613
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Taste is purely subjective, so someone's "good" taste will alwasy be someone else's "bad" taste. According to my tastes, those aerial shots are amazing. Imagine those same shots in two years - instant Manhattan!
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #614
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 7

I actualy think that this is one of the most simple, elegant and harmonious of projects in dubai. It works super well as-a-whole. First piece of 'urban architecture' that I have seen from this emirate! Cant wait to see it in the flesh!!
Old January 6th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #615
lionchild
Sketchup + Maps = Fun

I love some of that islamic architecture, i wish there was a few buidligns liek that here in BC. Go Dubai!
lionchild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #616
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5441

The scale is amazing, it's like a instant skyline just popped up, and it is pretty dense as well.

The tow central towers are fantastic, shame they couldn't all be like that.

The concrete tower designs are sorta bland, but it's good that a few are getting glass there, they really break it up.

All in all though it's pretty impressive.
Old January 6th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #617
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Are any of these buildings occupied yet? I hope that they all will be filled in a reasonable time instead of becoming a beautiful ghost town.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #618
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Handing over of JBR towers hasn't started yet and the owners are getting frustrated with the delays. It seams that work on the common podium that will be a shopping and restaurants boulevard, is what is slowing the complete complex down.

There are 36 residential towers and 4 hotel towers, 2 of which are behind in construction, compared with the rest of the project. The 2 glassy buildings in the middle (Al Fattan Marine Towers) are NOT part of this complex, and they were completed early last year.

If there is a project in Dubai that will not become a "ghost town" is this one, for a single reason: It has DIRECT and DEDICATED beach access. This is definitelly the best investment for the owners who want to let thier apartments to holiday goers.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #619
CroyDan

Likes (Received): 40

Thanks for the updates of this project.

I hav a big interest in dubai as I went on honeymoon a year and a half ago i stopped in dubai for 4 days and was stayin in the Hotel right oppersite the two blue twin buildings!

Seeing all that construction close up was truly amazing and did not spoil my holiday at all!

Have to say that the ariel shots look amazing but the buildings themeselves are nothing to special though the skyline as whole looks great...looking like Hong Kong!

Will def go back to Dubai in a few years as it is one big construction site when i went and I want to see all their projects completed! Bet it will still be one big construction site though as they just build things for the fun of it!
CroyDan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #620
qatari 4 ever
BANNED

This dubai not new york
qatari 4 ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote