daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 6th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #621
mookieflookie

Likes (Received): 0

Once it's all finished, including landscaping, it'll look much better
mookieflookie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #622
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6410

Should be finished pretty soon.

And they still haven't released any heights for the towers
R@ptor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #623
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

I for one, and i'm sure many other vacationers comming from large, polluted and congested cities themselves (in europe,china,india) would rather not prefer to lie on a beach surounded by more ugly concrete, glass and reminders of our hectic urban existance.....Similar beaches such as Benidorm in Spain are allready dismissed and scorned by travel afficionados as places for cheap sun hollidays - this is an upscale benidorm basically, and the buildings here are even more overbearing due to their immensity (although they are of marginally higher quality). Sure, they are impressive to skyscraper fans and from a development standpoint but this is a big mistake IMO -- the beach should be a tranquil place, a place of human scale, a place to chill out and relax... these large towering buildings are out of scale for this location IMO. Of course, such a huge cluster of buildings does look impressive from the air and from afar, but from beach level it looks overbearing... It would have been wiser to have placed all these towers much further back from the shore, and built tasteful low rises developments by the beach with interesting, detailed, human scaled architecture rather than these rather plain monstrosities...Dubai has many places for tall buildings and to stick these right on the beach was not the best planning. It seems that poor development regulations and a thrist for quick cash has allowed the developers to run riot with little regard to the beautiful beach environment...IMO the beach should have been respected, but here you are putting the concrete first rather than the scarce natural resource. At least if your going to impinge on your shoreline, do it in a way that improves the setting, not competes or attempts to proclaim "i'm boss now, you bow to me"

Last edited by aquablue; January 7th, 2007 at 02:42 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #624
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Interesting argument
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #625
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 135

[IMG]http://i17.************/30nc60x.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.************/453q7tg.jpg[/IMG]
Dubai_Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #626
chinatown
Wanderer/ Le voyaguer/ 浪子

Likes (Received): 1001

why do they want to build too many while the population is small and the environment they dont care much about green area??
chinatown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #627
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatown View Post
why do they want to build too many while the population is small and the environment they dont care much about green area??
I'm not sure about the first part of the question because even though I'm optimistic, it still baffles me. As for green space I don't think there was any "green" space to begin with.

I'm surprised that they actually get green space in Dubai. Do they have to bring in top soil to do that? There's that big residence that's at the base of Palm Jumeriah that has a huge yard full of greenery.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #628
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatown View Post
The majority of the apartments shown above in the marina are owned by British, other Europeans, GCC expats and Americans. They are all waiting to move in or will rent to European and GCC tourists. In fact currently there is a property crisis because of the booming population and lack of accomodation.

There are plenty of green spaces in Dubai which is growing all the time. Also UAE has the most number of palm trees per sq ft than any other country in the world.

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://************/jjqnbp.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://************/jjqp7b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://************/jjqqsj.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Dubai_Steve; January 7th, 2007 at 06:53 AM.
Dubai_Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #629
FM 2258

I was too damn lazy to find the pictures but that's exactly what I had in mind. Did they find a way to grow grass in the sand or did they have to do some massive Earth moving and import some fertile soil?
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #630
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

They look a lot like nicely done council flats, not really much design flare to them.

Dubai has more money than sense.
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #631
_BPS_
678 999 8212

Likes (Received): 2593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahraini Spirit View Post

I think this is the first time I have seen a Sikh in Dubai.
_BPS_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #632
Huppoe
Winner

Only in Dubai.
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #633
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by _BPS_ View Post
I think this is the first time I have seen a Sikh in Dubai.
LOL, you've never been in Dubai so how can you pretend to see one.

There are tens of thousands of them.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #634
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

I was too damn lazy to find the pictures but that's exactly what I had in mind. Did they find a way to grow grass in the sand or did they have to do some massive Earth moving and import some fertile soil?
They do put a layer of fertile soil but all the greenery is supported by a submergged network of watering pipes that let drops of water continuesly into the soil. Of course rain type sprinkles are used 2 - 3 times a day as well.

Dubai treats the sewage water and don't just discard it in the sea or lakes or desert (for lack of space). All these treated byproduct water, rich in everything, is used in landscaping. The hard residues from the treatment plants, are used as fertilisers.

Some people are saying that becouse of the increase in the sewage water to be treated, becouse of the increase in population, the Municipality is forced to increase the green spaces in Dubai, introducing new public parks and incoraging new Golf courses, just to discard the excess treated water.

This is recycling at his best

Last edited by AltinD; January 7th, 2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #635
FM 2258

Wow, that is a very good idea. They should add more green spaces in Dubai. Dubai seems crazy at times but they seem to know what they're doing.
Old January 8th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #636
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #637
zedmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
IIMO the beach should have been respected, but here you are putting the concrete first rather than the scarce natural resource. At least if your going to impinge on your shoreline, do it in a way that improves the setting, not competes or attempts to proclaim "i'm boss now, you bow to me"
I think the beach is man made anyway - the whole marina was created so I guess they can do what they like - its not a natural resource per se. But I do agree with you, it would be nice to have a few remote houses on the beach front - I'm sure they have these in the vast natural coastlines of UAE, but probably not in Dubai.
zedmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #638
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedmeister View Post
I think the beach is man made anyway - the whole marina was created so I guess they can do what they like - its not a natural resource per se. But I do agree with you, it would be nice to have a few remote houses on the beach front - I'm sure they have these in the vast natural coastlines of UAE, but probably not in Dubai.
- First it was the beach (a natural one)
- Then were build low and midrise seaside hotels
- Then was build an artificial marina canal, going around the already build beachside hotels.
- Then they started building the Jumeriah Beach Residence towers between the row of Seaside Hotels and the man-made Marina.

Hope it clarifies everything for you.
Old January 8th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #639
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Fine, but I won't be paying good money to vacation in those hotels surrounded by ugly concrete...I could spend that good money and lie on a beautiful island in the seychelles in a pristine natural setting or anywhere else not spoiled by ugliness. You can keep your dubaiworlds, themeparks, mega malls...just because they are fancier or bigger doesn't mean I'm going to want to shop in a mall on vacation anyway. Theme parks are old hat IMO, they are fake and plastic worlds, i'd prefer to discovery an authentic place. Your beloved King is in over his poor owl head
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #640
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Fine, but I won't be paying good money to vacation in those hotels surrounded by ugly concrete...I could spend that good money and lie on a beautiful island in the seychelles in a pristine natural setting or anywhere else not spoiled by ugliness. You can keep your dubaiworlds, themeparks, mega malls...just because they are fancier or bigger doesn't mean I'm going to want to shop in a mall on vacation anyway. Theme parks are old hat IMO, they are fake and plastic worlds, i'd prefer to discovery an authentic place. Your beloved King is in over his poor owl head
Lots of people do not have the same tastes as yours. Proof of that are the 6 to 7 million people going there each year.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote