daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 04:54 PM   #1
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5845

Cardiff, UK's hidden beauty

Cardiff Uk's hidden beauty part 2 part 3

Here are some pictures of Cardiff, its Europes youngest and fastest growing capital city. It has a number of huge construction projects underway, the most famous is the redevelopment of the bay area; an area which had fallen into disrepair after the closure of the coal mines, and hence no longer exported coal. It is a city with many different contrasting areas that make you feel as if you are in another part of the country after walking for only five minutes.
This is the civic centre, it consists of around 10 buildings made of white Portland stone, centred around Alexandria park, which contains the war memorial for wales.
This is the city hall

this is the clock tower

the interior is covered in marble, statues of welsh and british heroes and ornate wooden carvings

if you notice the picture of princess Diana which was removed for a vist by the prince of wales and his NEW wife

thisis the main hall

This is the council debating chamber underneath the dome

This is the University main building

this is its main staircase

the science library

This is the war memorial in the park

the glamorgan building

registrar office (note the dragon, the symbol of wales!)

Law courts and and a memorial

This is the museum of Wales, it houses among many other things the second largest collection of impresionist art (the first being the Louvre in Paris)

Cardiff also has a 2 thousand year old castle at its centre, once owned by the richest man in the world. Its is undergoing the "Biggest arts conservation project of its type in the UK" at the moment but if you visit the website they have some pictures of it without the scafolding http://www.cardiffcastle.com

This is the Millenium Stadium, the largest indoor arena in Europe and has become the National stadium for the UK while Wembly is being built. It has a retractable roof and can hold over 72,500 people in the stalls and even more on the pitch when it comes to concerts (recent ones include Tsunami appeal, U2, REM). Also holds other events such as Rally cars.

Cardiff has a great shopping centre about to be added to by a 352 million pound redevelopment of the citys southern shopping area (called St Davids 2 project). The nicest places to shop are the old victorian shoping arcades, and with around 15 arcades, cardiff is known as the city of arcades.

This is cardiffs indoor market

this is the old library, which houses a museum, tourist information, restaurants, art gallery and exhibition space

this is the Hayes shopping area

this is the bay redevelopment - there is shopping, restaurants, national assembly for wales, Milenium centre (multi million pound opera and arts house), Rhoal Dhal Plazz - open area for events, St davids 5 star spar hotel, site for the new sports village (with plans for a few skyscrapers there hopefully, snow dome, ice rink, olympic swimming pool etc.)

This is the Welsh assembly depbating chamber (nearly complete!)

Rhoal Dhal Plazz and Millenium Centre (affectionatly known as the armadillo)

Hope you like, there is alot more here that i havent shown
Here is part 2 cardiff 2

AaronSJ liked this post

Last edited by cardiff; August 12th, 2005 at 05:54 PM.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #2
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

Beautiful! Would love to visit the city one day! These large hollowed letters look funky!
Old August 4th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #3
xyno

Likes (Received): 15

Indeed a very nice city. I just came back from Cardiff a couple of days ago, after spending a week in the Brecon Beacons and 4 days in Cardiff. I liked the city very much and will definitely go there again. It's funny to see I took a lot of the same pictures as you did.
xyno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #4
cardiff

Will be taking a few more of the places that most people dont see and posting them soon.
Old August 6th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #5
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

Cardiff.

A city rarely spoken of on this site.

Looks a very nice place indeedy.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #6
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Beautiful city. Was very enjoyable. Is it really that young a city? And the youngest capital?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #7
S.Yorks Capital

Likes (Received): 3

Cardiff is a very nice city. It is about as old as all the other UK Cities but it only became a city in 1905 and capital city of Wales in 1955. It is Europe's second youngest capital after Bratislava which was made capital of the Slovak republic in 1993.
S.Yorks Capital no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #8
cardiff

Ah i stand corrected, i must tell the local news people, as its our centenary year they have been anouncing its Europes youngest capital (perhaps they mean in the union? is slovak part of it? Has Bratislava been a capital before (i think so?)?) but it definately is the fastest growing capital city. Was made a city in 1905 and capital of Wales in 1955. Wales is the only place in the world apart from the united states to experiance inward migration after the discovery of coal in the south wales valleys. Before 1800 there was only a crumbling castle and a small village. The first million pound cheque was signed in cardiffs Coal exchange.
Old August 6th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #9
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

Anymore pics?

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #10
cardiff

here are some more pics

Old August 7th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #11
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

Likes (Received): 378

fantastic city, the memorial its superb, wath is that stadium in the 5 pic?
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #12
cardiff

that is the millenium stadium, becomes the largest indoor arena in Europe when the roof is closed, it held around 120,000 people when U2 had a concert there a few weeks ago, making it the fourth largest city in wales!lol
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #13
Glick

Likes (Received): 0

The Millenium Stadium. 72,000 seats making it one of the biggest (if not the biggest?) of the stadiums in the UK.

I might try to get into town sometime this week and get some pics, don't expect them to be great quality as I'm quite frankly not a very good photographer . But I'll give it a go.
Glick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 10:16 PM   #14
cardiff

Its very hard to gey a good picture of the stadium as its very big, and the nicest part (i think) is the roof, which of course you cant see! i have put some more pictures of Cardiff online go here
http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread...hreadid=243084
Old August 8th, 2005, 02:36 AM   #15
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

nice, the stadium have a nice design, thanks Cardiff!!
Old August 8th, 2005, 03:15 AM   #16
cardiff

I like it, its what cardiff is most famous for at the moment. Hopefully they will build some sort of skyscraper or observation post (like in Portsmouth) as it causes less mess!
Old August 8th, 2005, 05:37 AM   #17
Oriolus
OzScrapers Moderator

Likes (Received): 1521

A waze of recognition washed over me when I saw the pic of Mellenium Centre - I saw it on an episode of Doctor Who a couple of weeks ago. The doctor parked his police box right in the middle of Roald Dahl Plaza (and like most kids I read all of Roald Dahl's books when I was a kid)

Cardiff looks like a very nice city indeed.

Visit me on flickr
Oriolus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #18
cardiff

Most of Doctor Who was filmed and is being filmed in cardiff, they try and pass parts of it off as london or other place, but its cool for locals to go, ive walked past there yesterday!
Old August 8th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #19
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff
I like it, its what cardiff is most famous for at the moment. Hopefully they will build some sort of skyscraper or observation post (like in Portsmouth) as it causes less mess!
they have plans to built something higth like a tower or a skraper?
Old August 8th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #20
danJonze87
skippedybeebop

Likes (Received): 0

yes, a few 10 to 20 storey apartments all over the bay. And there's Wood Street tower which will begin construction soon, which will be over 100m making it the tallest in the city. Then there is the sports village development, also in the bay which is to include 2 tall buildings (80m to 100m range i think). Cardiff could do with a few more tall buildings. A few more well designed 70-80m buildings and 2 or 3 over 100m. It would look great. That may attract even more high-rise development and we may one day compete with the big guns like manchester and birmingham. They may have size on their side, but what's so great about Cardiff is that it's a city of just over 300,000 population (about 800,000 metro pop) can compete against places like manchester, glasgow, brum and so on, be it sporting facilites, arts centres, museums, universities, shopping etc, even though we're much smaller.
danJonze87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote