daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Completed Manchester Projects

Completed Manchester Projects Completed projects in the Greater Manchester area.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:08 PM   #1
crush2000

Likes (Received): 0

Piccadilly Place | London Road | up to 55m | up to 14 floors

not sure where this original thread is? Hope it is ok that I start a new one?

latest pictures of the site.

crush2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:53 PM   #2
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 226

all they need do now is design a tower on par with Albany for the site behind this where the tacky white block is and the dirty grey brick building beside it.. Then we'd it would aid tie in Picadilly plaza with Picadilly station towers and voila.. We would have a really kick ass area (Then Victoria station area will copycat and we'll rule the skies)
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:59 PM   #3
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 5

..edited

Last edited by rolybling; October 20th, 2005 at 10:06 AM.
rolybling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 09:15 PM   #4
Griff

Couldn't agree more though. That ten-storey concrete block in the middle of that second pic (which is part of the University, no?) is absolutely the most ghastly building in the whole of the city centre in my opinion. If I could demolish just one building in Manchester it'd be that one, no hesitation. At least the Piccadilly Place developments will hide it from anyone emerging from the station.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:17 PM   #5
birminghamculture
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

How tall is this one gonna be?
birminghamculture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:16 PM   #6
caw123
Hit the north!

This is 6 buildings.

Varying from 8-15 floors. The most advanced one is a 12 storey hotel for City Inn which looks a bit shite.

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 12:19 AM   #7
highriser

Likes (Received): 16

Heres Piccadilly Place frome another angle ,from last sunday,,,this is shooting up,,,and the soon to be demolished site for Albany Tower in the background

highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #8
hopo

im a bit woried about the quality of the buildings at pic place, they look crap. its a pretty rank collection of unassociated buildings really they cud have done much better with this peice of land, personaly i think that a large portion of it should have been left open for some sort of plaza, like teh amphitheatre next to bar 38 tipe thing
hopo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #9
mattlister

The Aytoun Building which belongs to Manchester Met is bad, inside the layout is confusing and it also needs modernising.

When they built the Business School (the white building) they should have knocked down that tower and built a better building to link the business school to.

It also brings the University down a bit considering the amount of money they've spent on the John Dalton Building entrance, John Dalton Tower, A new I.T block, and new All Saints West Building.

Piccadilly Place will definitely improve the area.
mattlister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #10
abloke

aytoun

I,m studying at Aytoun at the moment and I gather the place is to be demolished in 2008 and the business school relocated to Oxford road.

I gather the only building to remain will be the library facing on to Whitworth St.

The tower and all surrounding buildings including Minishall on Chorlton will go and the space redeveloped.

With London gaining several 1000 ft towers its time Manchester thought along the same lines.

It would be great to have some form of tiered gardens along the canal a few storeys up and then a glass tower rising up to around 1100 ft but stepped so it does not overshadow canal street too much.

Last edited by abloke; August 10th, 2005 at 10:22 AM.
abloke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #11
highriser

The though of that vile building being demolished as just brought a smile to my face,,cheers Mr Bloke
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #12
Potato Man
I miss a hot dog

How sure how up to date this is, but here is the masterplan for MMU's All Saint's campus. The estates strategy tells us that by 2010 the university will be condensed onto three site (All Saints, Didsbury and Crewe). Elizabeth Gaskell, Aytoun and Hollings will be sold on to developers to help fund the new buildings seen below. I think there was also an aspiration to leave the Didsbury campus, but this would be a long term thing outside the scope of the current strategy which runs to 2010.

I remember that there was some minor excitement on this forum about 18months/two years back about the prospect of a 15 storey 'tower'. Somehow it now feels, I don't know .... er .... unworthy of a post.

Potato Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:10 PM   #13
mattlister

On that site there's a image of the buildings in 3D but when I click on the thumbnail it brings up a 2D overhead. I'm sure that the Loxford Tower Building will be done up at least with the plans.

Some good things on that website to look at including some Warrington projects like the new A&E and new Bus Station.
mattlister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:18 PM   #14
Mez

Likes (Received): 3

I know we're going off on one bout MMU but, my engineering lecturer told me they we're simply converting Loxford tower into student accommodation.
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:34 AM   #15
dgnr8
Mmm, Danone

Likes (Received): 9

To be fair, I thought the All Saints plan had bitten the dust.

And by no means is it unworthy Mr Tates. The All Saints area really need sorting out and bringing back into the public "arena", if you will. The place feels so closed off and as if you're not allowed to go anywhere. And the state of some of the buildings (that one opposite the Footage and Firkin, I think it's a drama school) could desperately do with a revamp.

Anybody else noticed how quickly the newish redbrick building opposite the pool and UMIST business school is aging? They're going to regret the God-awful landscaping all around that building. It's something I find could make or break the building, and the current use of 1/2 bricks turned at a silly angle (to break your ankles, obviously) is outrageously daft. Honestly, the road is bland enough after the museum. At the very least, have some interesting grass work with trees on the far edge at least to break up the monotony of the Uni shopping centre, the RCM and the drama school. By the eck, I tell thee.

Oh, I'll tell you the best thing about All Saints. The fruit and Veg stall (if he's still there). The city centre needs so many more individual produce shops it's untrue. Having a good local butcher and grocer and other local community shops could really make an area like Ancoats for instance. More guff like that's needed.

Bitch over.

Last edited by dgnr8; August 14th, 2005 at 01:41 AM.
dgnr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #16
highriser

3rd crane going up today,,,
Old August 13th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #17
uk2012

DEL

Last edited by uk2012; June 21st, 2011 at 08:00 AM.
uk2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 11:59 PM   #18
EarlyBird
BАNNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2012
whats that
crane
n.

A machine for hoisting and moving heavy objects by means of cables attached to a movable boom.

You might have one in Birmingham eventually...
EarlyBird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 01:29 AM   #19
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Last edited by kids; August 14th, 2005 at 01:44 PM.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 11:05 PM   #20
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 1570

For those who haven't seen this 3d rendering of City Inn and Piccadilly Place before!(if you have, 'DON'T TELL ME!' )

Gives a relatively good impression of how Piccadilly Place will/might eventully look!

Click portfolio, UK map, Manchester dot, City Inn Manchester!

http://www.weintraub.co.uk/site/weintraub.htm
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: