daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old December 1st, 2005, 12:27 AM   #81
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 1580

2005 report!

A few images!

http://www.tcs-plc.com/news/corporat...tcs_ar2005.pdf
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 17th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #82
highriser

Likes (Received): 16

A huge board as been put up in the Basin , with a render of the Ducie St carpark saying it opens on 31.12.05.... im hopeing Inacity are waiting for this to open, so they can close off that carpark where Eastgate is going,,or is this wishful thinking
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #83
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 1580

Images will be uploaded tomorrow.

Last edited by jrb; December 28th, 2005 at 12:30 AM.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #84
cottonopolis

Likes (Received): 0

Nice pics JRB. What´s that horrid thing in the last pic? Hope that´s not the final exterior..
cottonopolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 01:01 AM   #85
Shmuckadoodle

Location: Greater Madchester, England, UK, Western Europe, Earth, Space (North)

jrb - congratulations, thats the first time you havent put n exclamation mark on your sentance

~Albert Einstein

City of peace
9462 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:42 PM   #86
caw123
Hit the north!

Issa Quay

Now upto....erm......6 floors.
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #87
roverman

Likes (Received): 2

TARRIFF STREET CAR PARK

I noticed a billboard on Gt Ancoats Street advertsing 'Tarriff St Car Park opens 31st January', and depicting a rather unusual looking (for a car park) building. If I remember right, Tarriff St is a little street of warehouses on the edge of Norther Quarter where Bar Ten used to be. Has it been built??
roverman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #88
pookgai

Likes (Received): 3

Isn't tarrif street car park the one next to the New Danish furniture store next to the canal?
pookgai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #89
highriser

Likes (Received): 16

roverman, its built look in the Piccadilly Basin thread
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #90
SleepyOne

Likes (Received): 1

IVLA warehouse. An incredibly inappropriate building to put on such a site. Also, admire the surface car park out front, providing such an elegant relationship between said building and the canal.

Any movement on the BDP office building behind Issa Quay yet? 2006 seemed such a long way away when this was announced last year but here we are, mid Febuary already!

SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #91
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyOne
IVLA warehouse. An incredibly inappropriate building to put on such a site.
Would you like to eloborate sleepy!

Also - got some more shots of the CJC today btw if you want them.
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #92
kids

Likes (Received): 172

I hope these developments don't destroy that odd bridge that goes under the bridge and over the canal just by issa - that thing is so cool.
Old February 11th, 2006, 02:56 AM   #93
doka..dan
BANNED

Quote:
They can clad the IVLA in solid marble for all I care, its still a completely inappropriate building for this site and in design terms offers nothing to the surrounding area, most of all the hugely important Great Ancoats Street or the canal frontage.

Contractors on the BDP site? Are you sure? Good news if so.

Issa Quay crawling along at a snails pace, I see. Come on!!
It beats glass anytime......Oh Agra....the magic of Rajasthan!!!!

PS Taken from the back by the River bank.......!!!!!!!

Last edited by doka..dan; February 11th, 2006 at 03:20 AM.
doka..dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #94
dgnr8
Mmm, Danone

Likes (Received): 9

After experience of having to clean up the Asda carpark in Beswick by the canal, I can only sympathise with what Sleepy means. There are many problems with carpark being near a carpark. Thank fuck there aren't any fast food gaffs round there.
dgnr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #95
Farsight

Likes (Received): 106

IMHO that ILVA building looks really nice. It's long, sleek, elegant, and colourful. (I really like colourful buildings because I've spent too long spent amidst grey brown concrete and brick). Obviously the underlying construction is akin to my local B&Q, but that green glass gives it a wow factor that really lifts it up into the 21st Century.

Hmmmn. That car park really looks like it could do with some greenery. I hope it gets it.

SleepyOne: they can't all be highrises or anything else, and who is the arbiter of appropriateness? IMHO it's comely, it lets the sun shine in, and is far far better than the dereliction that's around there today. Maybe in a few years the area will have improved and the economics change. Then maybe somebody will buy the site for a nice skyscraper or something you'd be happier with. And in the meantime this will help lift the area.

Last edited by Farsight; February 11th, 2006 at 10:42 AM.
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #96
SleepyOne

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Would you like to eloborate sleepy!
Hi Longford. Yes. (And I look forward to your thoughts on the points I raised in the Sunley thread! )

I just dont think that this particular retail model that lends itself to large, groundscraping warehousing, car dependency and a large surface car park is appropriate for such a fast developing, urban area. It simply not appripriate in a people-centric urban district with its small scale streets, its canals and towpaths. Buildings like this, like IKEA, belong next to a motorway junction. Its only because the likes of IKEA are difersifying its retail model in terms of incorporating flats or breaking up the bulk of its traditional warehouse that it is being allowed into more urban areas. If we had to have an IVLA warehouse in this location, we should have insited on this kind of treatment.

Im disappointed that a few people here have been seduced by a bit of green glass and are failing to look objectively at what we have here. What we have is a very big box, turned side-on to the main road (Great Ancoats Street) and fronting onto a surface car park (which in turn fronts onto the canal). What a shambolic waste of such a prime location! Its of an utterly different scale to anything else in the area.... save for the other retail boxes on the opposite side of the road..... and on that score you can perhaps understand the planners' thinking in that it is consolidating the type of development already there. But with the way Ancoats and Piccadilly are developing, hands up how many people think that the Central Retail Park is sustainable beyond the next few years anyway? Not me! So aside from this new building looking incongruous also points to a huge lack of foresight on behalf of th planners and developers that have endorsed this building.

Last edited by SleepyOne; February 11th, 2006 at 03:38 PM.
SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #97
caw123
Hit the north!

Quote:

Im disappointed that a few people here have been seduced by a bit of green glass and are failing to look objectively at what we have here. What we have is a very big box, turned side-on to the main road (Great Ancoats Street) and fronting onto a surface car park (which in turn fronts onto the canal). What a shambolic waste of such a prime location! Its of an utterly different scale to anything else in the area.... save for the other retail boxes on the opposite side of the road..... and on that score you can perhaps understand the planners' thinking in that it is consolidating the type of development already there. But with the way Ancoats and Piccadilly are developing, hands up how many people think that the Central Retail Park is sustainable beyond the next few years anyway? Not me! So aside from this new building looking incongruous also points to a huge lack of foresight on behalf of th planners and developers that have endorsed this building.
I agree, IVLA is a total waste of what would surely have been a hot piece of property in a few years time when Eastgate, Royal Mills, ISIS and various other smaller projects are complete and the city centre continues to expand eastwards.

It should have been stuck out near Sportcity, or something. Not in a prime spot. Now we'll have the situation where CRP is demolished and developed, and IVLA will be stuck in the middle of it all like a groundhugging, green, sore thumb.
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #98
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 302

It looks like a bus station.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #99
Sir Miles Platting

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura
It looks like a bus station.
nowt wrong with bus stations, that one in preston is boss....
Sir Miles Platting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #100
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Sleepy et al. Yep totally agree but as i say - like the architecture but not the concept.
I believe the bar should be raised in architecture and apply it to all projects be it schools, supermarkets, bus stations, housing or even retail parks. Sadly retail parks are here to stay and are market driven but if we must have them lets try and demand some decent architecture in to the bargain. I believe IVLA goes someway in achieving this. We should be criticising the planners (i think we are already arent we?) - this development does nothing for the area on a social level, will increase an already over burdened Gt Ancoats Street and, as you say, a criminal waste of a potentially good site.