daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old August 4th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #1
Smileyface
BAND AID

Likes (Received): 7

Jewellery Quarter

The old thread got wasted by the hacker so it's time it was resurrected, I'll start by posting some of the pics which were in the previous thread.

Smileyface no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 4th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #2
Smileyface
BAND AID

Likes (Received): 7

Smileyface no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 03:28 AM   #3
birminghamculture
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Some great pictures there sniley but it still needs some through redevlopment
birminghamculture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 01:54 PM   #4
pirlo_21
Scaramouche, Scaramouche,

Likes (Received): 97

walking through that area i always feel like i've stepped back in time
Old August 8th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #5
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 102

dont know where this is but yet another development for this very up and coming area

Quote:
C/03500/05/FUL
Camden Drive/ Camden Street/ Sloane Street, Land at, Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham

Re-development of Site to provide 107 apartments, B1 workshop space and A1/A3 retail space following refurbishment of Sloane House, 48 Camden Street, building fronting Camden Drive and demolition of all other buildings
JEWELLERY QUARTER CONSERVATION AREA

Jacey Homes Ltd
Camden Street
Birmingham
B1 3EN

Robert Seager Architects
3 Featherston Road
Streetly
West Midlands
B74 3JW
Old November 5th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #6
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 45

Octohedron on George street is just about finished

Don't know much about this but there's steel work going up on the corner of George Street and Newhall Street

The Miller scheme on Saint Pauls Square looks like its nearing completion too. There's some nice detailing in the brick work which this pic really do justice to.
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 08:49 PM   #7
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Likes (Received): 98

To my eye Octohedron is the best new residential building built so far in the Quarter although that isn't saying much! I wonder how many years we are going to have to wait until they knock down some of the Bellway crap that has been built recently in the area. The Charles Church effort on Newhall Hill is I suppose inoffensive and the Crosby block is quite good but generally the new build in this area is dire and regretfully I suspect it wouldn't have been allowed in Manchester (I hasen to add that I am not a fan of our northern adversary). I feel that Birmingham's planners need to riase the bar so that all new developments are quality design.

The steelwork on the corner is an apartment block by Chord which is allegedly a landmark modern building, I'll wait for the rendering before I decide weather I agree with this well used description
Spread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #8
Spread
Brummie & Proud

I probably should have checked if they had a web site first and then posted second, oh well, here's the web site which has a few visuals:

http://www.chordhomes.co.uk/

I'm undecided on JQ1 (George Street), but St. Pauls Place looks good particularly the courtyard image.
Old November 5th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #9
U475 Foxtrot

It'll compliment Octohedron well. Just need something to happen with the Jewellery Box now.

I was looking at this building today and thought it'll be turned into flats soon.
Old November 6th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #10
Usherling
Birmingham IS Second City

Likes (Received): 0

Beautyful might add a bit more spark into the J-Q. I hope so for it is the most historic area of Brum it's a beautyful place. They need some mid-rises and plenty of apartments and offices brand spanking new mordern and glass........
Old November 6th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #11
Rigadon
ISAO OKANO

Likes (Received): 10

I have to agree on the bellway crap. The back of Charles churhc "Q" is excellent though.

the Orb is quite good too depite lookign awful in the renders.

I like the look of both of thesenew ones especially JQ1.
Rigadon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #12
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 67

That corner piece of JQ1 is excellent - simple but elegant. It is good to see that the egos of some developers/architects aren't that big that they have to scream "LOOK AT ME!!!!" in their buildings. I notice buildings like this more because they are classy.
Old December 16th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #13
CargoHold
Ow'amya ?

The Old Fire Station

Now a children's nursery and small work units.

CH

CargoHold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #14
Bel Ludovic

The Orb, surprisingly, is very good indeed.

But a lot of residential development in the Jewellery Quarter is appalling. The Frederick Street facade of the Charles Church scheme is terrible, and there's that truly horrific one that overlooks the patch of green opposite the Jeweller's Arms pub. You know, the one with the beige brick, mini-turrets and green window frames. How did THAT get though?
Bel Ludovic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #15
Bel Ludovic

Oh and Octohedron is good, too.
Bel Ludovic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 04:34 PM   #16
Spread
Brummie & Proud

Wimpey and Bellway have a lot to answer for! It is terrible to think that we are going to be stuck with these buildings for the foreseeable future. Octohedron is good and so is Orb (although the original plan for Orb was even better). The design for the new Charles Chruch scheme on New Hampton Street is also a disapointment and far blander than the original renderings.
Old December 16th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #17
U475 Foxtrot

Octohedron
Old February 14th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #18
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 67

Good news again!

From BBC Online

Quote:
Minister backs Creative Village
The Communities & Local Government Minister is backing Birmingham City Council's vision for a Creative Village in The Jewellery Quarter by 2010.
David Miliband will be signing a charter on Tuesday, aiming to attract people to live, work and visit.

The quarter, home to many creative firms and more than 200 listed buildings, will be developed in a village style with affordable homes.

The councillor for regeneration said several areas need to be looked at.
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #19
Nacho

Likes (Received): 48

Some news about the Jewellery Quarter.

Site is key link to Jewellery Quarter Mar 16 2006
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Lambert Smith Hampton has been appointed by Birmingham City Council to market one of the city centre's most high-profile development sites.

The property consultancy is searching for a development partner for a two-acre site fronting Great Charles Street, Ludgate Hill, Livery Street and Lionel Street, close to Snow Hill Station. The land was previously earmarked for the city's new coach station, the proposal for which has now been abandoned, and has been used as a surface level car park for the past 15 years.

According to Paul Marlow, director and head of development and regeneration in Lambert Smith Hampton's Birmingham office, the site is right for a high density mixed use scheme.

He said: "Interested developers will be considering a mix of offices, residential, hotel, leisure and convenience retailing, and they will also have to replace the existing car parking facility. Our clients are looking for innovative proposals which maximise the site's opportunities on what is a major gateway frontage into and out of the city.

"Any new development will form a key link between the Jewellery Quarter and the central business district."

Birmingham City Council's cabinet member for regeneration, Ken Hardeman, said: "The marketing of this major site will confirm the extent of interest so far expressed by developers. It will enable us to determine a suitable mixed use scheme that can meet the aspirations of the council."

The closing date for proposals is April 10.
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #20
Nacho

Likes (Received): 48

Yesterday's Mail carried an article and photo of the new four storey building to be built just off St Paul's Square ; Caroline St.It's also mentioned in today's Post article about Edgbaston Galleries.
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote