daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:55 PM   #21
brum2003

Likes (Received): 52

does anyone now whats going on with the developments here, there does seem to be alot going on with small scale developments, but some of the larger things have stalled ? any news anyone, I love thjis area, its the most charming part of the city, be great to know development is moving on here
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 15th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #22
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 50

IMHO, a *very* sympathetic development by MCD/Turner Woolford Sharp on George St in the Quarter:

Old July 16th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #23
Smileyface
BAND AID

Likes (Received): 7

I didn't get any photos of the developments around the Jewellery Quarter but I did get a pub, some shops, a spooky graveyard and a few derelict buildings....I love this area of Birmingham!

Derelict premises on the corner of Powell Street/Pope street

On the opposite corner....a very "Birmingham" building if that makes sense?

Across the road

Around the corner on Legge Lane there's a mixture of fine architecture and utter dereliction!

Smileyface no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:19 PM   #24
Smileyface
BAND AID

Camden Drive, just off Legge Lane! This was a total shock and quite a pleasant surprise to me. It's a bit shitty and surrounded by derelict buildings but I love hidden roads like this and it's hard to believe it's in the centre of Birmingham!

Looking back up to Legge Lane

Some of the buildings on Camden Drive. The first one shows the Hyatt Hotel in the near disrtance.

Old July 16th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #25
Smileyface
BAND AID

Back on Legge Lane and I couldn't resist a BT Tower shot.

Turning left off Legge Lane into Frederick street and this is the Jewellery Quarter proper

Interesting but derelict building on Frederick Street

Old July 16th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #26
Smileyface
BAND AID

I took a few photos of the cemetery on the corner of Vyse street/Warstone Lane. Very spooky place even in the summer sun, again hard to believe this is in central Birmingham!

Old July 16th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #27
Smileyface
BAND AID

Old July 16th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #28
Smileyface
BAND AID

Back to normality

Old July 16th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #29
woodhousen

i just dont get it....... most cities in the world would love to have something like the jewelry quarter as part of them, but they dont, we do...and its a total gm of a place, a real asset....but people realy are not taking advantage of it. this should be the place to be and the place to be seen...... yet half of it is derelict!
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #30
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 211

It's in a transitional period Woody - there are pockets of land being taken up for apartments, but what we don't want is the area to become too much of a yuppie zone to force out the actual jewellers! Yes there are some scruffy bits and we'd like the developers to look at conservation and refurb as much as new build.
A very promising point here - a waitress in the All Bar One on Newhall St goes to the School of Jewellery and she's from Belfast. I asked her why she wanted to come to Brum to learn jewellery design? She said because if you want to learn about jewellery in the UK, then the only place is Brum. That made me very proud and I oredered another goblet of St Pauli Bier.

http://justice4the21.blogspot.co.uk/
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #31
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyface

Interesting but derelict building on Frederick Street
This is also one of my favourite buildings in Birmingham, and if I had the money I would turn this into something like a cafe with 4 flats above. It is truly lovely.

Thanks for the great pics Smiley

Tell me - how do you manage to get near and far objects in focus? The one with the Hyatt looks as if it is a model in the back garden, and the same with the bollard & BT!
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #32
Smileyface
BAND AID

I love that building too Bio and there several more around the Jewellery quarter that are as eye catching but neglected.

Concerning your question - Everyone seems obsessed with megapixels when it comes to cameras but mine's only a 3.2mp camera! I just have a decent optical zoom on it (x8) and as long as the nearest object that you zoom on is not too close anything within the near distance should also appear as clear. My lens has it's limitations though, as is shown on the tower block thread, when objects over a few miles away start to lose their sharpness.

Last edited by Smileyface; July 18th, 2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old July 18th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #33
Nacho

Likes (Received): 32

Thanks for all the pics Smiley.I imagine if half of those buildings were in the centre they would have disappeared in the fifties and sixties.Now we have a chance to restore most of them.Some wonderful facades there.
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #34
tonyoz777

Likes (Received): 0

apparently the building in the last picture has some sort of preservation order on it, deservedly so in my opinion. rumour has it that its owned by a local guy with a few property interests in the area which, if he is true to form, will eventually receive some sympathetic attention.

the derelict pub in the first batch of shots is the George & Dragon. terrible shame the way this place has been allowed to crumble, if i remember rightly, this also supposedly benefits from some form of listing. i believe that when it closed it was completely original inside, having suffered from noneof the dubious brewery refurbs over the years. it still featured the original bar servery, carved back fitting, outdoor and small "snug" that was served from the main bar through a small hatchway. no doubt all of this heritage has long disappeared on the back of some rusty old transit pick up
tonyoz777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM   #35
Bachy Soletanche

Likes (Received): 989

I went around this area for the first time in years, and it's amazing all sorts of architectual styles, Georgian, up to modern, all stuck together, higgedly piggedly, and there's some wonderful Victorian workshops and Art deco frontages on every street, all of which I missed in the below picts,

Sorry, but they're not the greatist pictures, the roads are rather narrow and my Camera don't do wide..

But really I was amazed by the place, far out stripping Liverpools Ropewalks for arichectual interest for example.
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #36
Bachy Soletanche

Old August 4th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #37
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 25

Are there unused retail units on the right facing the canal here?

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #38
Nacho

I wonder when work is going to begin on the building in the background.A couple of floors to be added if I remember correctly.
Old August 4th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #39
Bachy Soletanche

Spindly Mouse? Sorry Brindley House?

You can just about see where they've taped the windows, and I think I did notice something happening at the base, so hopefully, soon.
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #40
Nacho

Thanks for the update.