daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #21
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 631

i don't know why but i love this tower,for some reason i'm fascinated with it.
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #22
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1700

I love it!
Victhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #23
gargantuas

Likes (Received): 0

It's a perfect tribute to communism. Pointlessly massive, bloated, and, naturally, unused.
gargantuas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:02 AM   #24
gargantuas

"We are the borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."
gargantuas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:13 AM   #25
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Is this building will finished a day ? and if yes when ?
I readed in an older thread about this building that the structure has fails, and/or the concrete was of a poorer quality than the expected, so they should repair the entire structure if they want to use the building, maybe it's better to demolish it and build it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayeTheOnly
80 stories? MADNESS.
no, 105 stories!

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=130967
- The building has reached it's full structural height, but it's currently no more than a massive concrete shell.
- Construction was halted in 1992 because of financial problems, and the building's future still remains undecided.
- The North Korean government is currently trying to invite a foreign investment of 300 million US dollars for a new structural system.
- The pyramid-shaped building has a 75-degree slope.
- The building has been incorrectly listed with a height of 300 m for the past several years. The updated height of 330 m makes it the world's tallest building intended for hotel use.
- It would have surpassed world's tallest building in purely hotel use at time of scheduled completion and ranked 7th tallest building in the world.
- First building outside New York & Chicago with over 100 floors
Victhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:26 AM   #26
Jose Luis
Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 44

Its awesome, i prefer the creepy look than seeing it completed.
Jose Luis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:30 AM   #27
Zarkon
Metalhead User

Likes (Received): 4

dunno but it has something unique and irresistible..
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:24 PM   #28
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

This is the best picture of Ryugyong I've ever seen. It almost makes it look not ugly.

Old August 8th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #29
empersouf

Likes (Received): 22

I like it eventough it's ugly as shit.
empersouf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:16 PM   #30
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3633

The Ryugyong Hotel

quoted from http://shapeofdays.typepad.com

The Ryugyong Hotel is, in my opinion, the single most unsettling structure ever erected by the hand of man. It's 1,082 feet tall, has 105 floors, and encloses 3.9 million square feet of floor space.

And it is completely empty. It doesn't even have windows.

The North Korean government began construction of the building in 1987 at an estimated cost of $750 million, or 2% of the country's GDP. For comparison, 2% of the US GDP would be about $220 billion. Ryugyong was a massive undertaking for such a poor country.

Work was halted in 1992, and nobody knows exactly why. Some say that it was for financial reasons; the DPRK economy was a disaster even then, and 1992 was about the time that widespread famine and electricity shortages began to kick in. Others say that the building isn't structurally sound due to the use of poor-quality concrete, and that it literally cannot be completed. At one point it was rumored that the North Korean government was trying to raise foreign capital to pay for major structural renovations, so the truth might lie somewhere in between.

The Ryugyong Hotel looms over Pyongyang like some kind of slumbering bat. Something deep inside my brain tells me that the 75° angle of the hotel's outer walls is exactly the wrong angle; it says sinister, it says creepy, it says get away.

Okay, so tastes differ. I think it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up; maybe the North Koreans think it's sweet as punkin' pie. That still begs the question of why. The DPRK maintains strict control over tourists and other visitors. The Ryugyong was designed to have 3,000 rooms, but at the time it was built only a few thousand people were allowed into the country per year, and almost none of them were destined for Pyongyang. Even today, after the establishment of the Kŭmgang-san tourist region, the DPRK only sees about 130,000 tourists per year. Every single one of them could book a week-long stay in the Ryugyong and the hotel would still be significantly under capacity.

I'm no expert on North Korean psychology, but it seems to me that there's only one plausible answer: Building the Ryugyong was a matter of national pride. The North Korean government put the Ryugyong on city maps before ground was even broken; they even put it on a stamp. The Ryugyong was to be a monument to the North Korean virtue of juche, or self-reliance.

The same sense of pride that drove them to build the Ryugyong has driven the North Koreans to an almost pathological level of denial about the building. It's no longer on the city's maps. Guides claim not to know where it is. No one speaks of it. This state of affairs is made all the more surreal by the fact that the almost incomprehensibly massive Ryugyong is visible from every part of Pyongyang. It hangs over the horizon, never far out of sight. The ultimate expression of the idea of the elephant in the corner.

To get an idea of the scale of the Ryugyong in relation to the rest of Pyongyang, consider this photograph. You can click it to see a much larger version. The Ryugyong looms there at the right side of the frame, casting its long shadow on the psyche of every North Korean. It's a monument not to juche, but to juche's imminent collapse.

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:16 AM   #31
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

It is extremely ugly. Why did they even approve this? What, were they trying to mimick mountains?

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #32
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

It intrigues me so much. Was it meant for foreign tourists?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:47 AM   #33
enjoi
Kapitan Paleta

Likes (Received): 8

bleh, i hate it from the first sight.

it's extremely ugly and big, and this shape with all those concrete everywhere make it looks like something built after a nuclear war...

and i don't think people would feel good there... i myself, would feel like a termit or an ant. :O
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:18 AM   #34
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 663

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
It intrigues me so much. Was it meant for foreign tourists?
Me too, mate! I have been fascinated by this construct from the second I saw it a a couple of years ago.

Incredible - such a behemoth of a structure, only paralelled in size by the idiocy of its conception.

But fascinating none the less - that first picture that STR posted reminds me of the egyptian pyramids - maybe this will become the great pyramid of the 20th Century.

I bet its haunted. Honestly. Just looking at it makes me shiver. Its just terrifyingly big, brash, and strangely archaic looking.

I love it.

Last edited by The Boy David; August 12th, 2005 at 01:24 AM.
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 05:52 AM   #35
firmanhadi
Urban Addict

Likes (Received): 18

Hideous! Bizarre! This can only be from the mind of Kim Jong Il!

I prefer drawing to talking. Drawing is faster, and leaves less room for lies -- Le Corbusier
firmanhadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #36
newyorkrunaway1
Skyscraper Guru

Likes (Received): 8

ugh, im sorry, but that is hideous
newyorkrunaway1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #37
namreg20
lerdo y perezoso

Likes (Received): 4

wow, fascinating...
very communist indeed

"EL PRECIO DE LA GRANDEZA ES LA RESPONSABILIDAD" (W. CHURCHILL)
namreg20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 03:59 AM   #38
boots
boots

Its fascinating its size and never ending construction, the building is jus unique!
hope they never tear it down
boots no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #39
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 37

same i would love, love to see it
Old September 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #40
SGoico
ˇSabadell!

Likes (Received): 2

It's a monster but I find some attaction on it. It might be the scary looks or the unusual unfinished shape