daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2005, 02:16 AM   #21
Martin G
Compulsive : Obsessive

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by caw123

MG - Is Houldsworth Mill the Hat Museum? Might have to have a gander in there! Nice to see shots of the skyline with a nice chunk of greenery.
No - Houldsworth Mill isn't the Hat Museum Of Utter Crap, that is in the town centre on the A6 and commands a fine view of the bus station (!), whilst this mill complex is situated in Reddish - a large Stockport suburb three miles to the north east of the town centre. It's a huge domineering structure that has been converted into posh flats (what isn't these days) but still has a scuzzy underdeveloped area near the back that houses some wholesale warehouses and those "shopping village" type arcades on the upper floors which never seem to make any money cos no people ever shop there (you know the type - filled with craft shops and such like). It's amazing these shops still remain cos as you can expect give each one a few months and then they close up and move on elsewhere - leaving loads of empty units that just look pathetic in all their redundancy, despite having council money spent on creating these units and being painted in nice olde worlde colours with timber surrounds and suchlike.

Architecturally, Houldsworth Mill IS actually quite impressive - if only for the scale of the thing. Here's some pics....

and on this link are a few pics of what the shopping arcade looks like inside:

http://members.aol.com/keyuk/shops.html
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 19th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #22
dj

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G

BTW - every picture I upload onto any website always looks crummy in colour and blurred to **** for some reason - I guess - as ever - it's a Mac thing, cos when I open these JPGS up in Photoshop they look as sharp as some of the ones the rest of you have posted here. I guess I'll never ever be able to compete with the Windows-owning elite the world over....
What a bizarre thing to say! Macs are generaly perceived as better graphics platforms than windows boxes, Photoshop runs far better on my Mac G5 than my better halfs P4. your mill shots are clear and sharp with very few artifacts. Your panoramas however are full of JPEG artifacts, at a guess they are overcompressed. Also the flat lighting and haze accentuate the JPEG artifacting.
Some of Photoshops default settings are a bit off for general camera to web work, try Googling a few photoshop tutorials-there are loads out there.
Most Mac users (myself included) see ourselves as the the elite in the great unwashed windows world.
to quietly pass me by
dj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #23
Manc Guy

Likes (Received): 20

Macs kick arse bud, G5 G4's never doubt em', you think the magazines and the everyday newspapers you read are produced on a windows Operating system? Lmao...

The media use macs as standard for Quark, Photo...Pc's are for email and black and white print outs...Gutted that Mac have decided on going with pentium for future CpU's, absolutley gutted!
Manc Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #24
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manc Guy
Macs kick arse bud, G5 G4's never doubt em', you think the magazines and the everyday newspapers you read are produced on a windows Operating system? Lmao...

The media use macs as standard for Quark, Photo...Pc's are for email and black and white print outs...Gutted that Mac have decided on going with pentium for future CpU's, absolutley gutted!
I dont think the Intel cpu's will be that bad. If they use a new chips and not pentium's it shouldnt be to bad. In Mac's its not all the cpu that make it great. Macs are specially designed so you can get the most out of your cpu, ram and hard drive so it can handle more than a normal pc.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:48 PM   #25
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 227

Gah I'm super mega pissed off!!

Was on some...hill today, and got a crackin' view of Wigan and Manchester in the background, also I had my camera! Hurrah.. so took some pics, the thumbnails on the LCD screen seemed to have captured it perfectly, get camera home to find out that its a shitty zoom on it and you can't make out the Manc skyline (City tower was very prominant in black, but Beetham stole the show (couldn't spot CIS but Arndale stuck out the fat bitch).. Nonetheless, it was nice seeing Wigan and Manc in the same view, makes Greater Manchester look massive, then turn around and see St Helens and Liverpool.. Small World (or Country, lol)..

Anyway, he is the turd in question

May write on whats what when I can be bothered, lol
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 10:31 PM   #26
cnb

Likes (Received): 0

Few skyline pics from the weekend

cnb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 10:36 PM   #27
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 364

nice pics. Beetham cranes look like twigs ready to snap lol.
Accura4Matalan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:16 PM   #28
vertigosufferer

Likes (Received): 1

Nice pics, the skyline's coming along well with Beetham Tower, this will be enhanced greatly when Eastgate and Hardman Square kick off

Who's knows eventually we may get a Burj Manchester lol
vertigosufferer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #29
cnb

Heres a skyline panorama I made from the webcam on top of stockport college.. Probably one of the least dense views of the city centre , but doesn't help that the arndale tower is hidden behind city tower. Interesting to see the size of skline central (or at least I think thats it) on the far right. How far is this of reaching its full height?

cnb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #30
caw123
Hit the north!

It's at full height already. Nice shot too. Sunley does look strange,

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:23 AM   #31
Fluff
Fluff

CAW top pictures as per usual. Have you tried going to the top of the SAS Radisson at the airport? I was there for a meeting last week and the view of the city centre is fantastic from the top floor.
Fluff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:38 AM   #32
Craigie_Mann

Likes (Received): 4

I wish Liverpool City council was as forward thinking as Manchesters we have so much potential too
Craigie_Mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 10:45 PM   #33
dj

Climbing up into the hills today the view of the city centre was grey and misty in my mirrors, thought I wouldn't need the camera. Then a couple of hours later popping across to Oldham I was greeted by this sight. For those interested this is the car park of Austerlands Cricket Club

to quietly pass me by
Old September 1st, 2005, 10:48 PM   #34
dj

Sunley looks strange with the DOKAs on top!
to quietly pass me by
Old September 2nd, 2005, 12:24 AM   #35
dgnr8
Mmm, Danone

Likes (Received): 10

You certainly do post some purdy pictures, deej. Thanks again.
dgnr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:27 AM   #36
Farsight

Likes (Received): 156

Brill pic dj. Thanks.
Farsight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:00 PM   #37
dj

thought I would do the reverse angle shot today, from the Frodsham, Helsby area. For the Doka spotters thats about 15-20 miles as the crow flies.

to quietly pass me by
Old September 3rd, 2005, 05:31 PM   #38
caw123
Hit the north!

I like those.

A pano and closeups taken at the end of June

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:17 PM   #39
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 227

Good shots, I really like the way (from that angle) that the Edge towers and Deansgate look like 3 towers together, kind of like.. related in an odd way :S
Beetham biggin it up in the corner

Other than that though, this view has never really aspired me.. It's just messy IMO and with almost a 60 m 'curtain' that takes away all the other towers dynamics, plus I hate that Granada building, one of the worst in the city I feel.. love to see it go.. Hopefully when the taller towers add to it it'll be better but this is the ugly side of Manc I feel.
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 01:37 AM   #40
Jongeman
van het noorden

Ferge....It's only really when you drive into Manchester from certain directions (Bury New Rd is one of the best) that you realise just how inposing it is. You can't see the skyline at all from some directions, but from others, it looms up almost like a mini-Manhattan (slightly pushing the boundaries there, but I am a bit pissed, lol). There's no more an imposing view of a big city than the view from the Mancunian Way. Central Manchester is so dense, that it intimidates people from elsewhere (been said to me several times by visitors/students etc)

Some of these pics do look a bit messy, but the centre of Manchester is so big in comparison to other regional cities, that its many 60m buildings seem to dominate because there are more of them, and they go for longer. It's one reason why it now needs big towers, to get the rest into some sort of perspective.
Jongeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote