daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #201
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2582

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchikoi
Santiago de Chile ---> Best in SA
I kinda look at Buenos Aires as the best though Santiago's impressive as well.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #202
Un known

Likes (Received): 3

Appearance: Moscow. There are some nice modern stations in addition to the classic architecture.
Efficiency and overall: Singapore and Tokyo. Singapore has fully automated lines. Very fast, cheap and efficient. Tokyo is vast and also very efficient.
The problem with Hong Kong system is the price. It is much more expensive than other systems I have seen.
Un known no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #203
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6827

i think moscow is more efficient than tokyo. with same ridership as tokyo you will not see such heavy crowded station... service is once of most frequent in the world and network is very well optimized...
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #204
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

why is there even a discussion about this? New York City is blatantly the absolute best subway in the world because of its extensive use of four track local/express service. All other metros in the world are shit (except maybe London, i heard they have like two lines that have legit express service)compared to New Yorks just because in order to get from a side of a city to the next, one must suffer through every stop along the way whereas in New York, just hop on the express and watch local stops fly by. No other subway system comes even close! End of discussion!
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #205
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un known
Appearance: Moscow. There are some nice modern stations in addition to the classic architecture.
Efficiency and overall: Singapore and Tokyo. Singapore has fully automated lines. Very fast, cheap and efficient. Tokyo is vast and also very efficient.
The problem with Hong Kong system is the price. It is much more expensive than other systems I have seen.
Actually, Hong Kong's prices are fairly cheap compared to Western cities.
The typical cross-harbour routes into Kowloon cost about US$1.20 while the most expensive ride is about US$3.20. Short hops of only a few stations are cheaper than US$1.20.

New York - $2 flat rate
Even if I travel a few stops, it's still the same price as crossing into the Bronx or deep into Queens.

London - cheapest Oyster fare is £1.50, cash fare is £3, 6 zones £3.50 Oyster

Berlin - cheapest short trip fare of Euro 1.20, other single tickets start at Euro 2.10

Paris - Euro 1.40

For short distances, Hong Kong's MTR is substantially cheaper. Longer-distance rides are more in line with Western cities.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #206
coth
pride leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888
why is there even a discussion about this? New York City is blatantly the absolute best subway in the world because of its extensive use of four track local/express service. All other metros in the world are shit (except maybe London, i heard they have like two lines that have legit express service)compared to New Yorks just because in order to get from a side of a city to the next, one must suffer through every stop along the way whereas in New York, just hop on the express and watch local stops fly by. No other subway system comes even close! End of discussion!
New York subway is actually among of most worst systems.

Also. Number of tracks and type of services means absolutely nothing. It's like some people compare CPUs by frequency. Do you think Cel3.6GHz perform more than Conroe2.6GHz? Last is over 3 times faster. Because frequency number is not most important. Important, roughly, is how much can CPU perform instructions per tact. So as in metro. NYC has about 4 min interval in peak hour and over 20 after the midnight. Moscow has about 90 seconds in the peak hour and about 10 after the midnight with just 2 tracks on every line...

Last edited by coth; August 9th, 2006 at 09:08 PM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #207
MAD_MAD

Likes (Received): 29

1)Moscow
2)Tokyo
3)Madrid
MAD_MAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #208
drunkenmunkey888

Quote:
NYC has about 4 min interval in peak hour and over 20 after the midnight. Moscow has about 90 seconds in the peak hour and about 10 after the midnight with just 2 tracks on every line...
Thats actually entirely not true. I take the NYC subway everyday to work and during peak hours, the intervals cannot be more than 2 minutes at worst on the major express lines (something that pathetic moscow doesnt have) but usually less than that. however minor local lines that hardly anyone uses can have what you said, 4 minute intervals. and try taking the moscow subway from the city fringes into downtown and tell me how long that takes cuz it must be agonizing suffering through all those stops. New York City express trains take you from the city fringes to midtown manhattan in less than 30 minutes. if you never taken the NYC subway before, you would be amazed at how good the express services are and if you take it often like i do, every other subway system in the world is utterly pathetic in comparison
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #209
drunkenmunkey888

Quote:
NYC has about 4 min interval in peak hour and over 20 after the midnight. Moscow has about 90 seconds in the peak hour and about 10 after the midnight with just 2 tracks on every line...
Thats actually entirely not true. I take the NYC subway everyday to work and during peak hours, the intervals cannot be more than 2 minutes at worst on the major express lines (something that pathetic moscow doesnt have) but usually less than that. however minor local lines that hardly anyone uses can have what you said, 4 minute intervals. and try taking the moscow subway from the city fringes into downtown and tell me how long that takes cuz it must be agonizing suffering through all those stops. New York City express trains take you from the city fringes to midtown manhattan in less than 30 minutes. if you never taken the NYC subway before, you would be amazed at how good the express services are and if you take it often like i do, every other subway system in the world is utterly pathetic in comparison. how dare you say NYC has one of the worst in the world when every other system is nowhere close to how good it is?
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #210
coth
pride leader

@drunkenmunkey
first of all you can't get to expresses on every stations. nyc subway has average interval 4 minutes including all lines and all service. in the rest of a day 6-10 minutes and more after the midnight.

and indeed something pathetic is moscow metro service that nyc subway and lul only dreaming about. moscow metro has average interval in 90 seconds (mostly in 70-100 sec window) during peak hour. 2-3 minutes in the rest of a day. and 6-12 minutes after 0:00
btw interval is not a time between leaving and arriving, but a time when trains passing same point, ie between leaving of one and leaving of second train.
commercial speed is one of highest among big metro systems - 42kmph. lul for example has 36kmph.

no any expresses. mm is more efficient even without them.
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:59 AM   #211
Un known

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Actually, Hong Kong's prices are fairly cheap compared to Western cities.
The typical cross-harbour routes into Kowloon cost about US$1.20 while the most expensive ride is about US$3.20. Short hops of only a few stations are cheaper than US$1.20.

New York - $2 flat rate
Even if I travel a few stops, it's still the same price as crossing into the Bronx or deep into Queens.

London - cheapest Oyster fare is £1.50, cash fare is £3, 6 zones £3.50 Oyster

Berlin - cheapest short trip fare of Euro 1.20, other single tickets start at Euro 2.10

Paris - Euro 1.40

For short distances, Hong Kong's MTR is substantially cheaper. Longer-distance rides are more in line with Western cities.
The prices in London are higher than getting a taxi in Russia. It is an extremely expensive city.
Moscow is much cheaper: flat rate about 40 cents.
Singapore starts from 40 cents to about 1$ for long distances.
Un known no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #212
ZimasterX

Likes (Received): 95

What are we exactly judging by? Efficiency? Appearence? Prices?

Personally my take is

1. Tokyo - Very extensive metro network, modern stations
2. Moscow - Large, good looking stations, efficiency under extreeme use (millions of riders per day)
3. New York - Very large network, efficient, but the appearence of the stations marks down.
4. London - Again, a very large network of stations, (I may not be completely sure on the details here)
ZimasterX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #213
drunkenmunkey888

42kmph? thats really slow... NYC is around 56kmph and well over 88kmph on long stretches of uninterrupted rail ie: underneath the east river. unless of course you mean 42mph. which is faster than NYC in some places but slower in stretches. and i know for a fact that intervals are not the same in all services and lines. to give you an idea, the G train has definitely a much lower frequency than every 4 minutes even peak hours. id say its around 8 to 10 minutes peak and 20 off peak. on the other hand, the A train runs basically on each others heals. NYC's system is a hell of a lot more extensive. moscow is nothing compared to the MTA of NY
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:15 AM   #214
coth
pride leader

drunkenmunkey, i was talking about commercial speed, not top.
and i would not say it's so much more extensive. mm has very well organized network to city planning. but of course route length is less. 279 to 368km. mm is just 70 years old and still over 200km is planned to build.

Last edited by coth; August 10th, 2006 at 03:32 AM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #215
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2582

I really wanna check out Moscow's metro system if I have the chance to visit the city.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #216
drunkenmunkey888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasnaya Zima
Tokyo - Very extensive metro network, modern stations
Moscow - Large, good looking stations, efficiency under extreeme use (millions of riders per day)
How can you think that modern looking stations and giant decadent soviet style stations place tokyo and moscow subway above NYC? NOTHING in the world can beat express service! NOTHING!!!!!!!!! Even if NYC has the shittiest stations with no a/c that smells like homeless bum urine, it would still assrape tokyo and moscow subway. I dont understand why no SSC forumers can appreciate exactly how cutting edge express service on a subway is!!!
Old August 10th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #217
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2902

Quote:
How can you think that modern looking stations and giant decadent soviet style stations place tokyo and moscow subway above NYC? NOTHING in the world can beat express service! NOTHING!!!!!!!!! Even if NYC has the shittiest stations with no a/c that smells like homeless bum urine, it would still assrape tokyo and moscow subway. I dont understand why no SSC forumers can appreciate exactly how cutting edge express service on a subway is!!!
there are express services in Tokyo too :P

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #218
coth
pride leader

Quote:
How can you think that modern looking stations and giant decadent soviet style stations place tokyo and moscow subway above NYC? NOTHING in the world can beat express service! NOTHING!!!!!!!!! Even if NYC has the shittiest stations with no a/c that smells like homeless bum urine, it would still assrape tokyo and moscow subway.

Quote:
I dont understand why no SSC forumers can appreciate exactly how cutting edge express service on a subway is!!!
well, as i said your express service has less efficiency than moscow metro.
Old August 10th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #219
Alargule
Gidroow Neget Mola

Likes (Received): 2027

That'll shut him up all right! Cocky New Yorkers...
Old August 10th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #220
drunkenmunkey888

Quote:
there are express services in Tokyo too :P
im not going to pretend like i know anything about Tokyo metro's express service so im going to ask, is it a legit four track line or some pathetic skip stop service? besides having the best subway setup in the world with their express lines, NYC subway cars are about the size of other city's commuter rails with volumnous capacity! and how does moscow have better efficiency? better intervals okay. but your intervals will be negated by the fact that moscow metro has to stop at EVERY station. very convenient...

Tags
subway