daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #241
Alargule
Gidroow Neget Mola

Likes (Received): 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmonkey
sorry but what does LUL stand for?
According to the Dutch-English dictionary:

Quote:
1.LUL [m] (obscene) insulting terms of address for people who are stupid or irritating or ridiculous.
Synonyms
son_of_a_bitch prick ******* ********** shit mother_****** mother****er mother SOB dickhead whoreson
Related terms
usage obscenity
Type of unpleasant_person
Seems to refer to you then...

(no, it really stands for London Underground Lines)

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #242
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

that picture of the graffiti filled M train is WAAAAY OUTDATED!! it was like from back in the 80's. Currently, I have not seen a single train with a speck of graffiti on it. Check out how the M train looks right now!. Now compare that to your Moscow train. Youre just intent on spreading false propoganda by taking a shitty NYC train from the 80's and comparing it to a newly built Moscow train. But now you see how NYC trains are currently. Moscow's trains are pathetic in comparison. For more information check out http://www.nycsubway.org
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #243
drunkenmunkey888

okay alargule, you just crossed the line. never once did i insult anyone personally. i just think it is ridiculous for people to be comparing NYC subway to other networks that are nowhere close to how good NYC is. I dont understand why anyone bothers to make this thread since deep down inside, we all know its NYC
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #244
ZimasterX

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888
okay alargule, you just crossed the line. never once did i insult anyone personally. i just think it is ridiculous for people to be comparing NYC subway to other networks that are nowhere close to how good NYC is. I dont understand why anyone bothers to make this thread since deep down inside, we all know its NYC
Make your own thread about it and find out how many people agree with you.
ZimasterX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #245
crossbowman
^Xpande®^

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
since deep down inside, we all know its NYC
The question is how deep down inside is that...

[- Reunification of the PARTHENON Marbles -]

Life is FULL of rude awakenings...
crossbowman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #246
garpie
Utilisateur Enregistré

Likes (Received): 2

@drunkenmunkey888:

<<nationalism/regionalism/excesive proudness of one's homeland.... is an illness that heals up by travelling>>

NYC subway is fantastic, as are many other networks in the world. For sure its continuous-24H-service may give some edge to it, as well as express services; but you seem a bit obsessed in trying to prove NYC subway's ten-fold efectiveness over ROW's metro systems. There's life to the east of Long Island too.
Old August 12th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #247
Un known

Likes (Received): 3

Actually the fact that the stations in Moscow are quite far apart is not a problem because most districts were built around metro stations. Most new projects are also located near metro stations. So most people will live within about 2 km from metro stations which is not far at all.
Un known no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #248
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

Quote:
that picture of the graffiti filled M train is WAAAAY OUTDATED!! it was like from back in the 80's. Currently, I have not seen a single train with a speck of graffiti on it. Check out how the M train looks right now!. Now compare that to your Moscow train. Youre just intent on spreading false propoganda by taking a shitty NYC train from the 80's and comparing it to a newly built Moscow train. But now you see how NYC trains are currently. Moscow's trains are pathetic in comparison. For more information check out http://www.nycsubway.org
with graffiti or not still nyc trains are very hideous. no taste at all.

MM trains are much better.

E types

81-710/81-714 with modifications

81-720/81-721

81-740/81-741

[IMG]http://*******************/gallery/d/1267-1/pict0002.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by coth; August 13th, 2006 at 12:27 AM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #249
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3529

Quote:
You must be joking...

NYC has got one of the most dirtiest and damaged metro systems I have ever seen (I have visited around 60 metro networks).

DonQui can tell you better, he lives in New York.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #250
Alargule
Gidroow Neget Mola

Quote:
What line did I cross then? Besides, if it's so 'obvious' that NY has the best subway system, then why do you even bother to defend it so vehemently? Hypocrite...

BTW: I know that picture was outdated, and most trains are graffiti-free in these days. But since you're so eager in giving reality a turn for the best, I thought I'd do my bit as well. That's why I picked out the shittiest looking stations and compared them with the best looking ones in Moscow.
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #251
Elbrus
облико морале

Likes (Received): 10

NY subway is so dirty, smelly and generally unpleasant-looking. You can say it's an insult to a human being. If some drunkenmonkeys think its the best in the world it's their ( monkey ) business. Perhaps they should get out of their zoo more often.
Its beyond me, how a rich and powerful city like NY cannot afford a decent metro system.
BTW, would anyone risk their life using NY Subway at night??? So much for the 24hr operation.
Elbrus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #252
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule
New York:

Moscow:

New York:

Moscow:

New York's last major finished construction project was the 6th Avenue Subway line, completed in 1940(!). Moscow's construction did only just begin by then, and major construction works have been going on until the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. The only advantage NY's system has over Moscow's, is that it is rather dense. But that's about the only advantage I can think of: frequencies are being lowered by the MTA, services cut back (notorious is the G line), the Lexington line has been overcrowded for years but the alleviating Second Avenue Subway line has been nothing but a pipe dream for the last 80 (!) years.

Yeah...NY is definitely better than Moscow. If you believe in your own lies, that is...
That's old school!!! Who cares if either NY or Moscow have better stations. What matter if they have enough ridership, efficient enough for the city and business is good

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #253
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17790

I was riding the R train today and I notice a lot of their stations in Lower Manhattan were noticeably cleaned up. The tiles were actually white but the stations were still very stuffy even in this cooler weather and cramped.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #254
drunkenmunkey888

Quote:
Originally Posted by garpie
<<nationalism/regionalism/excesive proudness of one's homeland.... is an illness that heals up by travelling>>

NYC subway is fantastic, as are many other networks in the world. For sure its continuous-24H-service may give some edge to it, as well as express services; but you seem a bit obsessed in trying to prove NYC subway's ten-fold efectiveness over ROW's metro systems. There's life to the east of Long Island too.
Actually my experiences are just the opposite. I grew up in NYC and since I didnt know any other subway system in the world very well, I used to think NYC's subway was very dirty, old, inefficient, etc. I didn't think there was anything too special about it. However, last summer, I visited Paris. I was staying at Oberkampf and I wanted to visit La Defense. It was a pain in the ass to take a train across Paris that stopped at EVERY SINGLE STOP. It was agonizingly long. After that, it made me appreciate NYC's express service, which I used to take for granted. Express service is something that is very very amazing. Then last holiday season, I went to Shanghai and though it was very clean and modern, there were only 5 lines, and only 4 that go within the city. Again, when I had to go from Xujiahui to Gongfu Xincun, it was painfully slow for the subway to stop at EVERY SINGLE STOP. Not to mention then I had to take a bus to where I wanted to go. Now not only did I appreciate express service, I also appreicated the excellent coverage that NYC subway provided. I admit I have not been on the Moscow subway but traveling really made me realize that NYC subway is the king of subways in the world.
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #255
Castle_Bravo
Urban experience...

Likes (Received): 199

How can it be that the capital of the world, has a so dirty and so outdated subway system?? I know that's around 400km, but London also has more than 400km, and they have build a new line in the '90, and it's not so dirty.
Old August 14th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #256
drunkenmunkey888

Castle_Bravo NYC's stations are dirty but I can assure you its trains are among the most modern in the world now that they retired their redbird fleets. just check out the E,F,G,R,V line or the 4,5,6 or the J,M,Z, or L lines and tell me what you think
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #257
Alargule
Gidroow Neget Mola

Quote:
Actually my experiences are just the opposite. I grew up in NYC and since I didnt know any other subway system in the world very well, I used to think NYC's subway was very dirty, old, inefficient, etc. I didn't think there was anything too special about it. However, last summer, I visited Paris. I was staying at Oberkampf and I wanted to visit La Defense. It was a pain in the ass to take a train across Paris that stopped at EVERY SINGLE STOP. It was agonizingly long.
Yeah, well...What about taking a train from Pelham Bay Pk. (off-peak) to South Ferry? Except from having to transfer to an express train (4 or 5) since the 6 makes EVERY SINGLE STOP, you'll have to transfer to the Shuttle (transfer #2) and then take a 1 train (which makes EVERY S...well, you get my point)...just taking one itinerary on the Parisian subway system as an example to come to the conclusion that Paris's subway system THUS is 'slow' is jumping the gun in my view. When I want to get from 'Nation' to 'Etoile', for example, I could take the RER. It only has three (3) intermediate stops and a very high (combined) frequency. If you want to get from one side of Paris to the other fast, you take the RER. The only problem is, that the RER only stops at selected stations. Exactly: just as the New York express trains do...
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #258
drunkenmunkey888

yes but the RER also costs a lot more than the regular metro. In NYC, the express is the same flat 2 dollar rate too. I would say the RER is more like teh LIRR or Metro North than express subway service. Another great thing about NYC subway: flat 2 dollar rate now matter where you are going.
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #259
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3529

To be frank, the dirtiest and smelliest metro systems I know are:

-NYC.
-London.
-Paris.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:22 AM   #260
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2571

There are some subway stations in NYC that do smell like the Jamaica Station in Queens. But other than that, I have no problem with NY's subway system. At least there are some new cars running.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
subway