daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #421
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Inside the Airport Express:

Also, Anyone know what this is? I took this in the Sheung Wan Station

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #422
CORLEONE

Likes (Received): 71

Pincio, the Moscow underground is wonderful, but just because it is beautiful, doesn┤t mean that is the best system and you know that.
CORLEONE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #423
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORLEONE View Post
Pincio, the Moscow underground is wonderful, but just because it is beautiful, doesn┤t mean that is the best system and you know that.
No, it's the best and it's also the most beautiful one.

Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #424
CORLEONE

Well I don't think that it has enough stations in the centre, with such a big capital, the centre should be better conected, but I admit that it is a good underground system, I think is one of the best. Anyway, I think that Madrid one is better, newer, more practical, bigger, cheap, clean and brings you everywere in the city.

Last edited by CORLEONE; August 27th, 2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #425
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Moscow is a good system, but second to London for me.

The stations in the centre are impressive, but most of them look boring to be honest. The trains on almost every single line are the same, so there isn't much variety and the stations are too far apart, even in the centre... But it was designed at a time when there were few foreign visitors, so getting commuters from their houses to their work places was the prime concern. I do like the map however!
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #426
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Isn't this the 'haunted station' at Sheung Wan? It's a blocked off tunnel at one end. It's quite creepy down there.
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #427
ailiton
Toffy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post

Isn't this the 'haunted station' at Sheung Wan? It's a blocked off tunnel at one end. It's quite creepy down there.
It's the reserved platforms for the East Kowloon Line. This platform is supposed to be called "Rumsey" (spelling) station.
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #428
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
The stations are nice, but apart from that, Moscow doesn't have much going for it IMO.
The most used metro system around the world? one of the smaller gaps between trains?

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #429
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Quote:
Well I don't think that it has enough stations in the centre, with such a big capital, the centre should be better conected, but I admit that it is a good underground system, I think is one of the best. Anyway, I think that Madrid one is better, newer, more practical, bigger, cheap, clean and brings you everywere in the city.
Moskow metro is a bit bigger, newer? do you think they stoped making the metro? look at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=475639

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #430
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Anyway, I think that Madrid one is better, newer, more practical, bigger, cheap, clean and brings you everywere in the city.
In fact you live in Madrid
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #431
Jedrzej

Likes (Received): 318

Warsaw metro
Maybe not the biggest, but very clean, modern and fast.

Jedrzej no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #432
CORLEONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aokromes View Post
Moskow metro is a bit bigger, newer? do you think they stoped making the metro? look at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=475639
Madrid one is still bigger, sorry, do you think that we stoped as well?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madrid_Metro

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=479211
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #433
KVentz

Likes (Received): 1623

Quote:
Well I don't think that it has enough stations in the centre, with such a big capital, the centre should be better conected.
Well, Moscow metro (and all other Soviet subways) have the difference from underground of London or Paris for example. Metro in Moscow was made to move many people of this really big city from places they live to places they work which are far away from each other. So, there are long distances between stations (much longer than in Europe), high speed and very large capacity. To get to the stations (if people love or work far away from them) people use highly developed system of ground-based public transport: about thousand of bus, trolley and tram routes. This system worked fine until metro development was delayed in 90s and traffic jams made ground-based transport ineffectiveů
KVentz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #434
CORLEONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post
In fact you live in Madrid
Look post 407...
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #435
CORLEONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVentz View Post
Well, Moscow metro (and all other Soviet subways) have the difference from underground of London or Paris for example. Metro in Moscow was made to move many people of this really big city from places they live to places they work which are far away from each other. So, there are long distances between stations (much longer than in Europe), high speed and very large capacity. To get to the stations (if people love or work far away from them) people use highly developed system of ground-based public transport: about thousand of bus, trolley and tram routes. This system worked fine until metro development was delayed in 90s and traffic jams made ground-based transport ineffectiveů
Interesting... I still think that Mocow could create some more stations on strategic places in the centre to give better service. Maybe the underground was made there for that purpose at the begining but I┤m sure that now the needs have changed. Anyway it is a wonderful subway
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #436
KVentz

Likes (Received): 1623

Quote:
I still think that Mocow could create some more stations on strategic places in the centre to give better service.
Oh yes, there should be some more stations in the center and they are planned to be but it's really hard, very expensive and takes too much time to construct in the center. The yellow line should go the the West (four stations in the center), the dark blue line should have a cross to orange and purple ones (two stations were missed on this line in the center during construction Ś one with cross to orange and purple and another one near to it), the gray line should have cross to orange (one station was missed). They should be, but it's more important to build metro to new living districts far away from center.
KVentz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #437
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Quote:

I know no, but has i said, by only few kms (<5), Moskow one is bigger.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=337

(y no me a˝adas los kilometros de tranvia que entonces Moscu os pulveriza)

Last edited by Aokromes; August 28th, 2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #438
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

Quote:

Well, from what i have heard - Madrid has no money to expand the present system, while Moscow's budget is largest city budget in Europe. Moscow is going to spend over $6bln just from its own budget on metro construction from 2007 to 2010
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_...xpansion_plans
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #439
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aokromes View Post
The most used metro system around the world? one of the smaller gaps between trains?
According to wikipedia, it's second to Tokyo. And what do you mean by the second point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVentz
Well, Moscow metro (and all other Soviet subways) have the difference from underground of London or Paris for example. Metro in Moscow was made to move many people of this really big city from places they live to places they work which are far away from each other. So, there are long distances between stations (much longer than in Europe), high speed and very large capacity. To get to the stations (if people love or work far away from them) people use highly developed system of ground-based public transport: about thousand of bus, trolley and tram routes. This system worked fine until metro development was delayed in 90s and traffic jams made ground-based transport ineffective
London has the stations close together in the centre, but far apart in the outskirts, it works well IMO. See here: http://diagrams.org/images/png/large/f00023.html
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #440
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
According to wikipedia, it's second to Tokyo. And what do you mean by the second point?

London has the stations close together in the centre, but far apart in the outskirts, it works well IMO. See here: http://diagrams.org/images/png/large/f00023.html
The metro of Tokyo counts 2* transition between the 2 metro systems, for the second, 90s is the gap from 1 train to another on prime time.

Tags
subway