daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #481
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORLEONE View Post
I never got that mistic feeling... I think that this opinion has no strength and is not enought to give London the medal of the best subway. I think that ambient is not a main thing here.
Sorry that I didnt put Madrid on the list, but perhaps if you actually read the post....

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #482
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Nigel Effect View Post
Actually I found the Delhi metro more fashionable then those of London and North American ones, since it is far newer and more astetically pleasing.

Do you know anything about the Delhi metro or are you talking out of your ass?
Eh, your idea of fashionable is clearly different from his, stop being so narrow-minded for christ sakes.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #483
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Eh, your idea of fashionable is clearly different from his, stop being so narrow-minded for christ sakes.
My god...

How am I being narrow-minded?

Its ******* opinion!

Its your problem if you idiots feel like:

1) Criticizing because I didnt include your own city, like a petty bitch
2) Ignoring that I said "FROM MY EXPERIENCE" and continueing to spew shit

or do you just read what you want to? He said that 'most people hadnt heard of this metro' and, from the tone, knew little about it as he passed it off as not good

Same with you, have you been to Delhi and London metro to compare? Or are you just spreading idiocy?

So perhaps you should post your opinion, instead of picking things out of context without properly reading them to jump on like a stupid idiot. And its much worse if they dont even make sense.
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #484
iampuking

Quote:
My god...

How am I being narrow-minded?

Its ******* opinion!

Its your problem if you idiots feel like:

1) Criticizing because I didnt include your own city, like a petty bitch
2) Ignoring that I said "FROM MY EXPERIENCE" and continueing to spew shit

or do you just read what you want to? He said that 'most people hadnt heard of this metro' and, from the tone, knew little about it as he passed it off as not good
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Quote:
Same with you, have you been to Delhi and London metro to compare? Or are you just spreading idiocy?
No I haven't. But i'd be interested to see you point out where I have specifically mentioned the Delhi Metro.

Quote:
So perhaps you should post your opinion, instead of picking things out of context without properly reading them to jump on like a stupid idiot. And its much worse if they dont even make sense.
Maybe you could read a few pages back and you'll see my opinion
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #485
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Quote:
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
Excellent...why don't we all use quotes meaningless in this context! I'm next...

"All the world's a stage, and all the people merely players."

Good! Now perhaps you can quote Macchiavelli...or how about Althusser? Or maybe Aryabhata? Since we are putting in quotes that do not pertain to the subject at hand, why don't we put in completely unrelated philosophical trains of thought as well?

Quote:
No I haven't. But i'd be interested to see you point out where I have specifically mentioned the Delhi Metro.
Seeing as how that "your idea of fashionable is different from his" line of yours was pertaining to my discussion with another forumer about the Delhi metro...come on, first you don't make sense, and now you make arguments that I simply need to scroll up and quote to disprove
Old September 9th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #486
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

I've been on two subways in the world.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and London's Underground "Tube".

I was in London almost a month ago now, and I still just can't get over the system. I had the privilege to spend a day touring London using the Tube, and it was almost the highlight of my whole time there.

Yes, I'm going into transportation planning and engineering for school, so I do have an interest there. But I loved the system. So much charm, so much variation, and so simple. I look at the NYC map and try to figure it out through Wikipedia, and I am completely lost.

I only wish I had seen more of it. Such a wonderful, efficient, and unique system filled with blasts to the past right left and centre, but also modern marvels in places too.

Toronto's is neat too, for my first subway system, but London by far takes the cake.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #487
bonivison

Likes (Received): 49

Line 5 in Beijing
open in 9.20.2007

bonivison no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #488
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonivison View Post
Line 5 in Beijing
open in 9.20.2007
Looking good!!
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #489
iampuking

Quote:
Excellent...why don't we all use quotes meaningless in this context! I'm next...

"All the world's a stage, and all the people merely players."

Good! Now perhaps you can quote Macchiavelli...or how about Althusser? Or maybe Aryabhata?
Go ahead, I don't think anyone will care.

Quote:
Since we are putting in quotes that do not pertain to the subject at hand
I beg to differ.

Quote:
Seeing as how that "your idea of fashionable is different from his" line of yours was pertaining to my discussion with another forumer about the Delhi metro...come on, first you don't make sense, and now you make arguments that I simply need to scroll up and quote to disprove
The opinion I was talking about was the one on the Delhi Metro. Which I have little opinion of as i've never been on it. From impressions it seems like your run-of-the-mill "modern" system in developing country, a bit like a Chinese Metro which i've never really been interested in... Basically, it seems to have nothing unique nor special about it. If you want to look at it from a capitalist perspective then it's great!

Last edited by iampuking; September 9th, 2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #490
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Quote:
The opinion I was talking about was the one on the Delhi Metro. Which I have little opinion of as i've never been on it. From impressions it seems like your run-of-the-mill "modern" system in developing country, a bit like a Chinese Metro which i've never really been interested in... Basically, it seems to have nothing unique nor special about it. If you want to look at it from a capitalist perspective then it's great!
...You have no opinion on it, yet you criticize others opinions...

And if you want to look it from a cynical bullshit point of view, go ahead!
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #491
iampuking

Quote:
...You have no opinion on it, yet you criticize others opinions...

And if you want to look it from a cynical bullshit point of view, go ahead!
No, I criticize the way you sanctimoniously and self-righteously yelled your opinions as if people care.
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #492
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1134

Quote:
Actually I found the Delhi metro more fashionable then those of London and North American ones, since it is far newer and more astetically pleasing.

some Delhi metro photos will be pleased.
Old September 10th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #493
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Quote:
No, I criticize the way you sanctimoniously and self-righteously yelled your opinions as if people care.
Strange, since this is a thread which states 'best subway.'

Seeing as how this is from experience, I am assuming that this is opinion-based.

So really, if you don't care, then don't comment and make a fool of yourself. If you really don't care, then why make such a big fuss?
Old September 10th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #494
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver999 View Post
some Delhi metro photos will be pleased.
No problem

Looks-wise, I thought it was better than the other subways I have been on, simply due to the modern look and feel of the stations and coaches

image hosted on flickr

Central park station

Kashmir Gate station

Metro Mall
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #495
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Actually I found the Delhi metro more fashionable then those of London and North American ones, since it is far newer and more aesthetically pleasing.

What exactly is "fashionable" about the Delhi Metro? It is a new metro, but it hardly is noted around the world as being architecturally special in any way. But then, as you pointed out so blatantly, we all have our own opinions.

And if imitation is a good representative of what's "fashionable", then London's Underground certainly has an edge on Delhi's. Globally, the world metro systems have copied more from the London Underground than any other network. From the famous tube map design, which is now the basis of most networks around the world, to even the symbol, adapted by more networks than any other.

Which brings me to your point about speaking from one's anus. If you are so sure that the new stations on the fashionable Delhi metro are so much better than the London Underground, then by all means, demonstrate your case by displaying photos of what you consider to be the top three most "fashionable" stations. And someone else may then show their top three stations modern stations from London's Underground.

I suspect already that you will have strong competition from London here, as a number of the newer stations, especially those on the Jubilee line are quite spectacular and architecturally impressive.

Quote:
1) Criticizing because I didn't include your own city, like a petty bitch
2) Ignoring that I said "FROM MY EXPERIENCE" and continuing to spew shit

or do you just read what you want to? He said that 'most people hadn't heard of this metro' and, from the tone, knew little about it as he passed it off as not good
Let's remember that this thread is to discuss the "best" subway network in the world. You have to understand that the fact remains the Delhi Metro is not generally considered as such. It is hardly known around the world, and for a city the size of Delhi, woefully small and inadequate. This isn't a thread about showing your metro, it's a thread about discussing the best in the world. I think it is pretty understandable that many may consider a small metro of 56km and only 50 stations for a city of nearly 14million people and as many as 20million in the metropolitan area. Regardless of how "fashionable" it maybe.

I also find it hard to call something fashionable in a global discussion, if it is not actually fashionable globally. If people around the world spoke of the Delhi metro as being one of the most beautiful on the planet, then maybe you would have a case. The fact remains is that it is pretty much unknown outside of your country.

Quote:
So perhaps you should post your opinion, instead of picking things out of context without properly reading them to jump on like a stupid idiot. And its much worse if they don't even make sense.
Now let's see here. You entered Delhi Metro as a candidate as the best metro system on the planet. You should then expect a debate to start. Thinking otherwise does not demonstrate any basic grasp of social bantering.

You also stated that London had a shabby system, which many actually disagree with as in the last few years there have been great improvements.

If you can't take a debate, why join?

Last edited by Justme; September 11th, 2007 at 12:08 AM.
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #496
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post

You also stated that London had a shabby system, which many actually disagree with as in the last few years there have been great improvements.
When did I state this?

or are you confusing me for X Bomby?

By the way, I visited the London metro last (when I used to live in London), in 2000.

And since I specifically pointed out that this was from my experiences, not from what I had seen in pictures, I would ask you to refrain from chastising me for thinking the new Delhi metro stations and trains are better than the new London metro ones - since I have not seen the London Metro recently first hand, and am only judging what I have seen first hand.

Last edited by Mahratta; September 11th, 2007 at 02:45 AM.
Mahratta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #497
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

If you are talking about reliability and convenience, DC Metro is the best IMO.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #498
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
Have you travelled much?
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #499
anm
имярек

Likes (Received): 5594

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
in the USA - yes, wordlwide - nothing special

for instance, metro system in Kiev is about the same size as Washington DC, as reliable and convenient as Washington DC, but nobody will ever mention it here as a top candidate for best metro system
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Воображаемый мир приносит вполне реальные выгоды, если заставить жить в нем других." Веслав Брудзиньский
anm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #500
X Bomby
Moon Base

Likes (Received): 1313

I suppose some people here don't travel a lot; I still claim London tube is an old out of date network; miles/kms of a network means nothing; It's not a symbol of a good transportation;

In Europe my list would be:

-Vienna
-Berlin
-Barcelona
-Madrid
-Lyon

Imagine u go for a walk with your baby in a stroller; where are lift in London?
I think u get in trouble.

In summer the tube is suffocating, plus u can be deaf with the noise in the trains. Do u call that "the best subway"? lol

I don't mention when trains are delayed or canceled...

London network is a nasty trick indeed

Last edited by X Bomby; September 17th, 2007 at 12:48 AM.
X Bomby no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
subway