daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #541
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

London's system doesn't looks much lighter isn't?

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #542
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

The huge difference being that Moscow's system really does look dim and dingy just like the photos I posted.

And didn't you say in your previous post that London's system is "overbrighted"? It seems as if you can't make up your mind!

I think you know you the truth and are just sensitive what you know to be justified criticism.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #543
coth
pride leader

The true is what you say is nonsense. Photos posted above was made on cheap film camera in early 90's with flash.

several shots of different stations taken professionally by russos

few my shots of two more stations taken long time ago with old bad camera
[IMG]http://*******************/gallery/d/5248-1/PICT2865.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://*******************/gallery/d/1285-1/pict0011.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by coth; October 9th, 2007 at 04:10 PM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #544
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Coth stop posting flattering photos. Anyone who has been to Moscow knows that what I'm saying is true. As for you, well didn't you tell us once that you'd never been outside of Russia and Ukraine? Well I've been to 50 countries on every habited continent and I have been on dozens of metro/subway networks. Moscow's and St Petersburg's were the only ones anywhere in the world that struck me as being particularly dark and gloomy.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #545
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

London's escalators are brighter, but Moscow's has a nice atmosphere.

Last edited by iampuking; October 10th, 2007 at 03:13 AM.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #546
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
No. It's London's system is overbrighted. We have almost no old trains. There are just few E-type trains left that are not in serial production since early 1970's. May be they are a bit less comfortable, but comfort is not the main parameter of Metro system. Moscow metro is faster, much more reliable, much more frequent and much more safer.
It's faster because the stations are too far apart, which isn't very good for accessibility, it's probably more reliable and probably more frequent, but safer?!?! I hope you aren't implying that my commute is dangerous.
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #547
coth
pride leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Coth stop posting flattering photos. Anyone who has been to Moscow knows that what I'm saying is true. As for you, well didn't you tell us once that you'd never been outside of Russia and Ukraine? Well I've been to 50 countries on every habited continent and I have been on dozens of metro/subway networks. Moscow's and St Petersburg's were the only ones anywhere in the world that struck me as being particularly dark and gloomy.
so you have nothing more to say?
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #548
coth
pride leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
It's faster because the stations are too far apart, which isn't very good for accessibility, it's probably more reliable and probably more frequent, but safer?!?! I hope you aren't implying that my commute is dangerous.
First of all Moscow metro was one of first systems that implemented anti-fire system in trains and total video control. Plus it has a police office on every station, which is backed by much better Russian federal security forces.

Stations are not too far apart. Average distance between stations is 1,5-2km, so station are within walking distance range (700m). Of course not all Moscow is covered yet by metro, since London's is twice older, but with a budget just a bit smaller of Tokyo, Moscow will expand metro system significantly in next 10 years.

Not even talking about the fact that there was just one small crash within service time since 1935. Once a broken train with several people inside derailed with no injuries.

Last edited by coth; October 10th, 2007 at 12:53 PM.
coth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #549
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

You don't wanna cross the KGB!

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #550
coth
pride leader

It's not really place for political flood.
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #551
KVentz

Likes (Received): 1623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
the escalator wells are very dimly lit.
Some of them WERE. The lighting on every old stations is changing or already changed to the new one, more bright, according to the new lighting standarts. The oldest escalators are replacing by the new ones completely. Just compare:

and

This is the same escalator well on Mayakovskaya station before and after reconstruction. So, if somebody saw dim escalator well formerly it doesn't matter it is dimmed now too.
KVentz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #552
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
First of all Moscow metro was one of first systems that implemented anti-fire system in trains and total video control. Plus it has a police office on every station, which is backed by much better Russian federal security forces.
What do you mean by "anti-fire system" and "video control" what is the purpose of police at every station? You'd have to be a mug to think that police can stop a suicide bomber! And to be honest, i'd hardly trust safety records from the Soviet times, they were hardly what you'd call "honest"
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #553
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVentz View Post
Some of them WERE. The lighting on every old stations is changing or already changed to the new one, more bright, according to the new lighting standarts. The oldest escalators are replacing by the new ones completely. Just compare:

and

This is the same escalator well on Mayakovskaya station before and after reconstruction. So, if somebody saw dim escalator well formerly it doesn't matter it is dimmed now too.
I prefered the old one personally.

And didn't Mayakovskaya get a second escalator and a new entrance built recently? Are you sure that isn't the new escalator shaft you're posting or has it actually been refurbished? Because to me, the ceiling design in those pictures differ.
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #554
KVentz

Quote:
What do you mean by "anti-fire system"
Just calc from Russian term. He mean fire-control system. Automatic fire-warning an fire-control system in every carriage.

Quote:
and "video control"
Four video cameras in every carriage (two ones on each side and two ones in the interphones) are translating video in a cabin, in a situation center. All video is recording.

Quote:
what is the purpose of police at every station?
What is the purpose of the police itself?
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #555
coth
pride leader

Quote:
What do you mean by "anti-fire system" and "video control" what is the purpose of police at every station? You'd have to be a mug to think that police can stop a suicide bomber! And to be honest, i'd hardly trust safety records from the Soviet times, they were hardly what you'd call "honest"
anti fire system is anti fire system. i don't know how to translate it in other way. video control is video control. every station + trains on some lines are equipped with tones of cameras that translating live video to security center.

purpose of police is the same as of street police - order

Quote:
I prefered the old one personally.

And didn't Mayakovskaya get a second escalator and a new entrance built recently? Are you sure that isn't the new escalator shaft you're posting or has it actually been refurbished? Because to me, the ceiling design in those pictures differ.
old entrance was rebuilt as well. but still it's pretty obvious that first photo is significantly underexposed.

but i agree. i don't like very bright white light. i was heavily criticize a new trubnaya station that has a row of white lamps installed over platforms, just like every london underground station.
http://*******************/gallery/d/...1/IMG_3194.jpg
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #556
KVentz

Quote:
And didn't Mayakovskaya get a second escalator and a new entrance built recently?
Yes, it did. For the first, the new escalator was built, then the old was closed for reconstruction.

Quote:
Are you sure that isn't the new escalator shaft you're posting or has it actually been refurbished?
Yes, I am sure.

This is old reconstructed shaft (the day before it was reopened):

This is the new one (again the day before it was opened):

Look at the walls - they are different.

Quote:
Because to me, the ceiling design in those pictures differ.
Yes, the ceiling inside the tube itself differ because it was reconstructed too - they added drainage cover (can't find the correct term) like on all modern stations.
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #557
iampuking

To me, having police in every stations just seems way over the top. There's not a policeman in every station here yet people aren't tearing each other's throats out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth
old entrance was rebuilt as well. but still it's pretty obvious that first photo is significantly underexposed.

but i agree. i don't like very bright white light. i was heavily criticize a new trubnaya station that has a row of white lamps installed over platforms, just like every london underground station.
http://*******************/gallery/d/...1/IMG_3194.jpg
That's pleasent, even when I was complimenting Moscow you feel the need to make a sly jab anyway

If you look at the photos on page 19 you'll see that not every station has light bright enough to outshine the sun. It's just the stations with the dire 80-90s refurbs... And the bright light is to aid the partially sighted, overbright stations is probably the price we pay...
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #558
iampuking

Thanks for the explanation KVentz
Old October 10th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #559
KVentz

Quote:
To me, having police in every stations just seems way over the top.
For London undeground - yes. But not for Moscow metro - too large station complexes and too many people are inside. Moscow metro has less stations and much more passengers, so the small police station (usually about two rooms) is not way over the top. Like a medicine point (hope I said correctly) on almost (I'm not sure for that) every station too.
Old October 10th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #560
iampuking

Even at stations out in the suburbs? I can understand the police presence at the busier stations perhaps.

Tags
subway