daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #561
KVentz

Likes (Received): 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Even at stations out in the suburbs? I can understand the police presence at the busier stations perhaps.
Yes, why not? The least traffic in Moscow metro is on the Bitcevskiy park station (south terminus at the orange line) has more than 13 000 passengers a day. There is one exit with with a typical police station in the vestibule: one room with a table, communication systems, monitors showing video from the security cameras, etc and a small cage/jail - I don't know how it names in English. And two, maybe three policemen, oh, sorry, policepersons
KVentz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #562
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Moscow's and St Petersburg's were the only ones anywhere in the world that struck me as being particularly dark and gloomy.
Yeah, thats why they are so awesome. Darkness is cool.
Gamma-Hamster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #563
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6826

Quote:
Even at stations out in the suburbs? I can understand the police presence at the busier stations perhaps.
Moscow metro does not go into suburbs.
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #564
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

So where does it go then?

And i'm sorry but the thought of having a mini jail in every single station makes me chuckle...
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #565
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2617

It's to avoid things like

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #566
iampuking

In a perfect world...
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #567
KVentz

Quote:
So where does it go then?
It depends on what are the «suburbs». In Russian the suburbs are always outside the city. In this sense Moscow metro does not go there — only inside the city. Outside the сity goes «electrichka» — suburban railway electric trains. But if you mean the places where the most people of the city live — we don't call them the suburbs, we call them «the sleeping regions» (unofficially off-course, officially and correctly «living regions») — because people go there into their houses just to sleep. There the metro goes.

Quote:
And i'm sorry but the thought of having a mini jail in every single station makes me chuckle...
I hope you understood me correctly when I said about this part of the room whith lattice (?) wall and a sliding door. And what's funny — where the criminal the suspect should stay? Just to hold his arms until a police car will arrive? How long? I think police stations in every metro station is much better than nothing. The metro is the city under the city. There are local police and fire stations, medicine points, local telecommunications, etc, etc…
Old October 11th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #568
iampuking

I guess "suburbs" is a vague term, by "suburbs" I meant where people live... There isn't another word I could think for it at the time.

And about the jails... I guess it serves a practical reason, but it doesn't stop it from being amusing.
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #569
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Oh for goodness sake. Go to Moscow and see for yourself. The trains are old and uncomfortable and the escalator wells are too dim. I have been all over the world and never seen such dimly lit escalator wells. They are gloomy and depressing.

LOL...it reminds me of Bioshock...if you've ever played it
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #570
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6826

@MaitreyaSequeira
It's just significantly underexposed photo.

@iampuking
Suburbia has much smaller population density. Moscow metro currently covers only city itself. First station in Moscow province is planned to open in 2009, in the city of Krasnogorsk. But it's still in Moscow's urban area.
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #571
GNU
Gnuru

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post

Those old escalators look damn cool! Are they still from the 30s??

This escalator from Macy's Herald Square store in New York City looks similar and is from 1927

GNU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #572
KVentz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNU View Post
Those old escalators look damn cool! Are they still from the 30s??
No, they are not from 30s. On the 1st picture built in 1986; 2nd — in 1950; 3rd — in 2006, it replaced one of the oldest escalators in Moscow (built in 1944).
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #573
iampuking

But they are designed to the 30s art deco style. Brown with uplighters! London used to have similar escalators in nearly every station before the King's Cross fire in 87 when they were all ripped out and replaced with steel ones...

In Moscow, are there any wooden escalators left by the way? And were the original metro stations based on London designs, as London had the most extensive deep level network at that time?
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #574
GNU
Gnuru

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVentz View Post
No, they are not from 30s. On the 1st picture built in 1986; 2nd — in 1950; 3rd — in 2006, it replaced one of the oldest escalators in Moscow (built in 1944).
Thx, actually I was only refering to the escalator types of the 2nd pic when I asked if they were built in the 30s.
GNU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #575
iampuking

Quote:
Soft Cow didn't work, I don't hate Soft Cow because she's a woman, but because her voice has no authority, I said in another thread that a great female voice would be Thatcher's!

And here is shouty man

Fifth "Mind the gap" announcement discovered:

And Sixth, it's arguable the most annoying one:

Not like anyone is interested
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #576
KVentz

Quote:
But they are designed to the 30s art deco style.
Yes, art deco, like the first Moscow stations — before palace-style architecture.

Quote:
In Moscow, are there any wooden escalators left by the way?
Oh yes, there are some of them on the oldest lines (red, green and blue), but the oldest ones were already replaced.

Quote:
And were the original metro stations based on London designs, as London had the most extensive deep level network at that time?
I think the designs were original — Moscow and London stations are differ. But there were many consultants from UK, France and USA. And there are some similar to London and Paris moments on the oldest stations. It was funny — they argued about the future Moscow metro. French consultants proposed stations with two platforms by sides while English and American ones — with one platform in the center. The final decision was: center platforms and no curves on the stations. The only one exception was on Komintern station (now — Aleksandrovskiy sad (Aleksander garden)):

It was impossible to build straight line there: the station is not deep and there is one of the Kremlin towers above — its fundament could be damaged.

Last edited by KVentz; October 13th, 2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #577
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVentz View Post
I think the designs were original — Moscow and London stations are differ. But there were many consultants from UK, France and USA. And there are some similar to London and Paris moments on the oldest stations. It was funny — they argued about the future Moscow metro. French consultants proposed stations with two platforms by sides while English and American ones — with one platform in the center. The final decision was: center platforms and no curves on the stations. The only one exception was on Komintern station (now — Aleksandrovskiy sad (Aleksander garden)):

It was impossible to build straight line there: the station is not deep and there is one of the Kremlin towers above — its fundament could be damaged.
I was talking of the original deep-level stations, New York and Paris had no deep level stations (Paris has some now) if you look at the designs of the deep level tube stations built in the 20s-30s and even the 60s they look almost identical in terms of structure, the only difference is that Moscow has a full legnth central vestibule, is larger and is obviously decorated differently.

And that station you posted is hardly what i'd call a curve!

Last edited by iampuking; October 14th, 2007 at 01:22 AM.
Old October 14th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #578
Minato ku

It is wrong, there is old deep stations in Paris under the hills like Montmartre or Belleville.
These stations was build in 1910's ~ 1930's As these station was build with elevator like in London tube but without a escalators.
Old October 14th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #579
iampuking

Okay there were a few, but they are an exception, deep level stations in London are not.

And many stations in London still only have lifts, on the top of my head they are: Lancaster Gate, Queensway, Russell Square, Covent Garden, Hampstead, Belsize Park, Regent's Park, Caledonian Road, Holloway Road...

Last edited by iampuking; October 14th, 2007 at 01:13 AM.
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #580
iampuking

Heres what i'm talking about:

Vintage "Lubyanka" shot, Construction built in 1933

Compare it to a shot of Collier's Wood, built in the 20s:

Escalators:

Typical Moscow design:

image hosted on flickr

Vintage pre war Holborn escalator photo, the design dates from when the station was modernised in 1933.

Southgate Tube station opened in March 1933, one of the few stations to retain the old style escalators:

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by iampuking; October 14th, 2007 at 10:28 PM.

Tags
subway