daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:11 AM   #721
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 883

london? no. too old. too dirty

NY? no. too old. much dertier than london's subway

paris? its huge but also old and dirty.

tokyo? no. too much crowded. tokyo in content with its population needs a system much bigger than the existent one.

sanghai? why not? its the fastest developing subway system ever!

athens: why not? it's really modern, really fast and quickly developing.

madrid? sure! why not? a really huge network for a city with such a population!!! and what a developing!! modern!

moscow? yeah! its stations are really beautiful!!! this is urban art guys! of course kilometres counts!!!

stockholm? yes. its really big for the city's population.

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:26 AM   #722
anm
имярек

Likes (Received): 5590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovem View Post

tokyo? no. too much crowded. tokyo in content with its population needs a system much bigger than the existent one.

sanghai? why not? its the fastest developing subway system ever!

athens: why not? it's really modern, really fast and quickly developing.

madrid? sure! why not? a really huge network for a city with such a population!!! and what a developing!! modern!

moscow? yeah! its stations are really beautiful!!! this is urban art guys! of course kilometres counts!!!

stockholm? yes. its really big for the city's population.
Not sure what your comment about "kilometres counts" is supposed to mean, so just facts:

Moscow - 292 km now and a lot under construction. Between 75 to 120 km of new lines to be completed by 2015 (the exact number will depend on the contribution of the federal budget, city will finance 60 km at a minimum). And these are just short-term plans, construction will continue after 2015 as well.

But if you ask me - I think what matters is coverage, not kilometers. Of course, in a big city good coverage implies large length, but for a given length the coverage may be more efficient or less efficient.

For instance, in NYC some Manhatten lines run close and parallel to each other that they do not improve coverage substantially, while adding to the length of the system. This inefficiency was created historically as NYC subway was built by competing companies, unified in one system later.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Воображаемый мир приносит вполне реальные выгоды, если заставить жить в нем других." Веслав Брудзиньский
anm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM   #723
Fab 5

Likes (Received): 3

The Copenhagen Metro was awarded the world's best metro 2008:

http://www.terrapinn.com/2008/metroaward/

An ad for the Copenhagen Metro:

Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM   #724
K÷btke

Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
It was true in 2004 but not in 2006

Top 5 LU busiest stations Entries and exits
In millions

Victoria : 72.992
Waterloo : 72.874
Oxford Circus : 68.438
Liverpool Street : 57.895
King's Cross St. Pancras : 52.51

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/corporate/...load=entryexit

Of course these data don't include transfert, so I think that King's Cross St. Pancras is always the busiest.
Wow. The biggest station in Copenhagen is quite a bit bigger then, if you go by passenger count. Don't mean to be all "my station is bigger than yours" I'm just genuinly amazed 0_0

N°rreport (Northern Gate) in Copenhagen is the citys (and countrys) biggest with about 106.000 commuters a day in 2006 on the so called S-trains. Which effectivly is the city's metro lines (N°rreport is below groun,d while the vast majority of the system serves the rest of the city and the suburbs via overground stations). The actual subway (the new fancy one) isn't included in these figures, and with those lines I suppose the number is quite a lot higher.

Last edited by K÷btke; May 23rd, 2008 at 02:22 PM.
K÷btke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM   #725
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by K÷btke View Post
Wow. The biggest station in Copenhagen is quite a bit bigger then, if you go by passenger count. Don't mean to be all "my station is bigger than yours" I'm just genuinly amazed 0_0

N°rreport (Northern Gate) in Copenhagen is the citys (and countrys) biggest with about 106.000 commuters a day in 2006 on the so called S-trains. Which effectivly is the city's metro lines (N°rreport is below groun,d while the vast majority of the system serves the rest of the city and the suburbs via overground stations). The actual subway (the new fancy one) isn't included in these figures, and with those lines I suppose the number is quite a lot higher.
Those London figures looks like they are represented in millions per year, so your N°rreport station at 106,000 per day would be more like 38,690,000 or in comparison the the London figures.

Victoria : 72.992
Waterloo : 72.874
Oxford Circus : 68.438
Liverpool Street : 57.895
King's Cross St. Pancras : 52.51

N°rreport : 38.690

Similar to say Leicester Square

Here are the 2007 figures
Victoria : 76.406
Waterloo : 74.844
Oxford Circus : 72.046
King's Cross St. Pancras : 66.359
Liverpool Street : 61.317
Bank/Monument : 41.883
Canary WHarf : 41.623

Of cause, they may have different ways of calculating this between the two countries.

By the way, if you are counting the S-trains and not the metro, then your are comparing apples with oranges. The S-trains are still suburban/commuter trains, and the London stations have not included these in their counts.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:52 PM   #726
K÷btke

Likes (Received): 197

^ ouch, my bad then. Knew it didn't make sense, and as you can tell I'm no expert in how to calculate these figures.

I think the actual metro is 70000/day btw. so roughly 25.5 million a year. The World makes sense again! (What with London being larger than the country of Denmark and all).
K÷btke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM   #727
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
Not sure what your comment about "kilometres counts" is supposed to mean, so just facts:

Moscow - 292 km now and a lot under construction. Between 75 to 120 km of new lines to be completed by 2015 (the exact number will depend on the contribution of the federal budget, city will finance 60 km at a minimum). And these are just short-term plans, construction will continue after 2015 as well.

But if you ask me - I think what matters is coverage, not kilometers. Of course, in a big city good coverage implies large length, but for a given length the coverage may be more efficient or less efficient.

For instance, in NYC some Manhatten lines run close and parallel to each other that they do not improve coverage substantially, while adding to the length of the system. This inefficiency was created historically as NYC subway was built by competing companies, unified in one system later.
i wanted to say that the length of the network is improtant for me when saying that moscow has one of the best subways worldwide. i totally agree with you on the NY example... moscow also have one of the most useful networks by having all its lines starting from the one side and finishing to the other, meeting the rest of the lines when passing through the center of the city and with a great circlular line connecting all of them. a radial system is the best!! well done Moscow!!!
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:51 AM   #728
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by K÷btke View Post

Victoria = 76,406,000 per year / 364 days = 209,906 per day on average...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovem

Why are you saying "old" as if it's a bad thing?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #729
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Quote:
Why are you saying "old" as if it's a bad thing?
because old systems usually drags back of technology and safety. not allways but its usual
Old May 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #730
iampuking

Quote:
because old systems usually drags back of technology and safety. not allways but its usual
Do you actually have any examples?
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #731
ovem
Commieblocks fan

New York Paris london even athens metro line1 constructed back in the 19th century. neer been in NY but i can understand from the photos...
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #732
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

London! Masterpiece I love it, It's Big. Nice, logical, has history and easy to use
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, NŘrburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, LŘbeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > DŘsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, ZŘrich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Mßlaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, KitzbŘhel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #733
Skyline_FFM
Atheism rulez!

Likes (Received): 109

1) Moscow and London
2) Paris
3) NYC
4) Berlin
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #734
iampuking

Quote:
New York Paris london even athens metro line1 constructed back in the 19th century. neer been in NY but i can understand from the photos...
No, do you have any examples of them "dragging back safety and technology"?

Safety maybe, but I can't think how the Paris Metro is any less technologically advanced than any other metro.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #735
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 874

Quote:
That doesn't mean it's falling to bits, this vid I made is in a 1860's strch of undeground:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SnR7dobNQK0

-----

By the way the best is London.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #736
iampuking

This is a better video of the oldest section of underground railway in the world:

Old May 28th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #737
DanielFigFoz

Very good video
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #738
DanielFigFoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab 5 View Post
The Copenhagen Metro was awarded the world's best metro 2008:

http://www.terrapinn.com/2008/metroaward/

An ad for the Copenhagen Metro:

Cool
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #739
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
This is a better video of the oldest section of underground railway in the world:

Truly authentic London underground.

Honestly I have been on those trains several times, the stations are not as bad (old and dirty) as that ovem guy was describing, ok honestly some are little bit dirty but majority are very ok, not that bad as ovem was saying.
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #740
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 283

One think I love about the London Underground is the fact it is sooo old...The other newer networks of eastern Europe and the Far East don't have any character about them, just new clinical looking stations.

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
subway