daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2009, 12:38 PM   #821
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
^ Well maybe. But then again, the average person would rather listen to cheesy crap pop rubbish. Do we then call this the best music in the world? ;O)
Yes, that's true. That's why I said in my 1st post that this is too subjective and we may not be able to reach a definite conclusion. But what we can do is to showcase merits (and demerits) of different systems for better clarity..
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:25 PM   #822
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
I agree with your point but I believe that we should look from the perspective of a commuter. He/she will definitely prefer to have a modern system rather than an older and historic system, unless he is emotionally attached to it. Don't you think that many Londoners will prefer uprooting the existing system with historic relevance and emotional attachment for building an altogether new system. It's us who are lovers of subway systems but a regular commuter will not have that much attachment. If you ask him, he will give a higher score to a new and modern system than a historically important system.

Regarding my views on Beijing subway, they are my personal views which I cannot impose on anybody. The reason why I rate it most attractive is because of its station designes which I saw in Beijing subway thread here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=689598&page=5
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=689598&page=6
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=689598&page=7

^ The stations seen here are not sterile and plain. Anyways these are my personal views and everybody has a different taste.
If an old system has all the amenities of a new system, which is possible, then I doubt most people would care that much. Plus, old systems generally have greater beauty than newer systems, which I think the average person appreciates.

Most of the stations in those pics posted AFAIK are of the Olympic line which are obviously more impressive than the average station in order to impress Olympic visitors. The ones on page 7 are of an airport station which is also more impressive for the same reason. I really don't think those show Beijing to have the most beautiful metro in the world.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:20 PM   #823
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

How on earth did you ever come up with that username?
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:12 PM   #824
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
Turnstiles are what makes most metro stations crap. They are ******* dangerous. The Helsinki subway donīt have them and I must say itīs a lot more comfortable that way.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:58 PM   #825
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

There in Helsinki you hardly have even a single percent of busyness of systems like Tokyo Metro, Moscow Metro, London Underground or New York Subway. We don't have turnstiles in suburban buses as well.
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:17 AM   #826
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

^Exactly how do they improve the flow of people during rush hour? Stockholm have them as well, and their subway isnīt nearly as busy as those you mentioned.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:02 PM   #827
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
If an old system has all the amenities of a new system, which is possible, then I doubt most people would care that much. Plus, old systems generally have greater beauty than newer systems, which I think the average person appreciates.

Most of the stations in those pics posted AFAIK are of the Olympic line which are obviously more impressive than the average station in order to impress Olympic visitors. The ones on page 7 are of an airport station which is also more impressive for the same reason. I really don't think those show Beijing to have the most beautiful metro in the world.
Yeah, Olympic line and Airport express are much better than rest of the system. Maybe I was wrong in quoting that Beijing subway is most aesthetic; instead I should have said these 2 lines are best looking in the world.

But I dont think that old systems are generally beautiful. I believe it's other way round as newer technologies make it it easier to build an aesthetically pleasing and elegant system at lower cost. Also the sense of aesthetics and design improve over time. Old is not always gold Anyways that's my view.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:26 PM   #828
_00_deathscar

Theoretically true, but many of the new metros being built just look plain bland - which is where I think he's coming from.

Whereas many of the older ones built had some sort of 'character' to them lacking in the new ones.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:15 AM   #829
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Theoretically true, but many of the new metros being built just look plain bland - which is where I think he's coming from.

Whereas many of the older ones built had some sort of 'character' to them lacking in the new ones.
Yep, that's what I meant.

And were you asking about my username or somebody elses? The reason for my username is because I couldn't think of anything else so used a name that i've used on the internet since I was 11...
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:40 AM   #830
anm
имярек

Likes (Received): 5593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
^Exactly how do they improve the flow of people during rush hour? Stockholm have them as well, and their subway isnīt nearly as busy as those you mentioned.
In Moscow subway flow of people in rush hour is not limited by turnstile s but rather by the capacity and frequency of trains, capacity of escalators and area of the station floors. It is actually safer to create some bottleneck at turnstiles. It acts like a regulatory valve. And what is dangerous about them? I have never heard of anybody hurt by a turnstile.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Воображаемый мир приносит вполне реальные выгоды, если заставить жить в нем других." Веслав Брудзиньский
anm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:01 PM   #831
_00_deathscar

You've never seen the movie "Return of the Killer Turnstiles"?
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #832
rick_lecheria

Likes (Received): 66

Venezuela`s Subways

Actually, Venezuela has 4 subways and others in projects:
Caracas` Subway
Los Teques` Subway
Maracaibo`s Subway, and
Valencia`s Subway.

Caracas` Subway

Los Teques`Subway

Maracaibo`s Subway

image hosted on flickr

Valencia`s Subway

station

rick_lecheria no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #833
**RS**

Likes (Received): 50770

My top 10

1) Moscow
2) Tokyo
3) NY
4) London
5) Paris
6) Madrid
7) Saint-Petersburg
8) Berlin
9) Dubai
10) Tashkent

MY CITY SEVASTOPOL: PROJECTS & CONSTRUCTION | CITYSCAPES || URBANITY IN RUSSIA
**RS** no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #834
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

I've only been on 4, so I'll just rank the ones I'm familiar with.

1. Montréal
2. London
3. Paris
4. Toronto

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #835
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17787

Quote:
Originally Posted by **RS** View Post
1) Moscow
2) Tokyo
3) NY
4) London
5) Paris
6) Madrid
7) Saint-Petersburg
8) Berlin
9) Dubai
10) Tashkent
What's the Tashkent system like? Is it built monumental style like Moscow?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #836
**RS**

Likes (Received): 50770

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
What's the Tashkent system like? Is it built monumental style like Moscow?
Yes,its really looks monumental like Moscow Metro,but built in traditional middle-asian style. Stations are beautiful, spacious. Trains run precisely on schedule. Since the opening of the metro in 1982, it has never been any interruption in its work.

MY CITY SEVASTOPOL: PROJECTS & CONSTRUCTION | CITYSCAPES || URBANITY IN RUSSIA
**RS** no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:23 PM   #837
SmithDevelopment
Mr

Likes (Received): 0

Tokyo has cool
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #838
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

Old January 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #839
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

New York. It may not be the most clean, but in my experiences, it's fast and reliable.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #840
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

i can only rank those subways which i actually visited, so here are my top 5:

#1 HK
#2 tokyo
#3 NYC
#4 shanghai
#5 beijing

Tags