daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #841
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 994

Munich's got a pretty good underground as well. Many station designs are quite extraordinary. The city's transport system has recently been rated best out of all major European cities by ADAC (Germany's biggest transport/automobile society).

Check out the Munich U-Bahn gallery: http://urbanrail.fotopic.net/c480139_1.html.
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #842
warrior034

Likes (Received): 0

yes i agree It is decorated pretty nicely, and has urban look
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #843
ainttelling
BANNED

Likes (Received): 120

Worth mentioning: Novosibirsk metro:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1127173&page=2
ainttelling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #844
The_Alchemist

I will make a realistic and an unrealistic choice.

The unrealistic choice is surely Moscow. I've never been there and i've never used the Moscow Metro but the beuty of the stations is just breath-taking. I could take rides on the trains all day long just to admire the amazing architecture.

The realistic choice is based on the metro systems that i have actually used, those are Munich, Wien and Berlin. Of those i enjoyed the Munich one the most. Maybe it is just because i was in a hostel really near the Hauptbanhof, but it seemed to be really practical to me, and even the station design is quite nice. I liked it quite a lot.
padajoče, ugašajoče svetilke.
Enooka riba
plava v temi,
črnooka.

Človek prihaja.
iz srca teme.
The_Alchemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:05 PM   #845
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1638

Shanghai Metro!!!!
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:00 AM   #846
solidlery

well for me the México City train is one of the best subways in the world and if fact is one of the biggest, you only need to see this post and you will see what i'm talking about

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=98613

there i even a piramid of the ancient aztecs inside one of the stations

and it just cost 3 pesos, that is like 30 cents of a dollar

Last edited by solidlery; August 30th, 2010 at 06:30 AM.
solidlery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #847
Kreicherisch

Likes (Received): 33

My vote, without even a littlest doubt on Earth, is for NYC subway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrooks View Post
i have lived in many cities and visited many cities.

My vote is for

NEW YORK

despite that
- it is super dirty when compared to other subways like Hong Kong
- it makes a lot of noise and torque when running
- it does not have escallators in many of its stations
- it may not be the safest train ride

BUT

- it offers simple fair. once you pay, you dont need to worry how much it will costs to ride no matter how far.
- it is the most reliable (compare NY to London which has frequent downs)
- it runs 24 hours a day
- it gives the best value of money. one can buy weekly, monthly tickets and can ride as much as one can. Tokyo is the most expensive (1 station ride costs Yen113)
- it gives many choices which train to take to speed up the whole trip
- it covers a great deal of New York area, unlike Singapore/Hong Kong which doesnt even cover many part of the city and many stations stops are too far apart once outside the CBD area.
- it is quite simple to use (compare New York to London which is so unnecessarily complicated) I can go anywhere in New York with maps in my head; however for London, due to complications, even train users of many years still doesnt know all the complicated transfers and have to rely on a map.
- it is quite comfortable to ride since it provides A/C and heater. try riding London underground during hot summer, it feels like entering a sauna.
- it is quite comfortable to ride since it is not sardine packed like Tokyo and
the absence of those grabbing hands
- it provides many interesting cultural and musical entertainment for free

You rock!!
Kreicherisch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #848
FlagshipV
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

I would say the Shanghai Metro. It covers most of Shanghai.
FlagshipV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #849
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

sigh...apparently people in Shanghai don't think so. Maybe locals always complain louder. Anyway, SH metro may be the longest network now, but its service and management can be much improved. Hong Kong still has the best metro system in China IMO. Actually HK MTR is in charge of several lines in other Chinese cities (Beijing, Shenzhen), you can certainly see the better service on these lines.

Among the metro systems I've used so far(not a lot though), I think NY city subway is still the best. To me, convenience is much more important than fancy stuff for a rapid transportation system.
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #850
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

I would vot for moscow
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #851
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10395

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
sigh...apparently people in Shanghai don't think so. Maybe locals always complain louder. Anyway, SH metro may be the longest network now, but its service and management can be much improved. Hong Kong still has the best metro system in China IMO. Actually HK MTR is in charge of several lines in other Chinese cities (Beijing, Shenzhen), you can certainly see the better service on these lines.

Among the metro systems I've used so far(not a lot though), I think NY city subway is still the best. To me, convenience is much more important than fancy stuff for a rapid transportation system.
Really? I was sort of let down by the NY subway when I was there (I am sort of a train otaku though lol).
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:14 AM   #852
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
Really? I was sort of let down by the NY subway when I was there (I am sort of a train otaku though lol).
I guess it was because of the old dirty stations and outdated trains? Anyway your response seems quite natural to me since you are from Japan, a country probably with the best infrastructure. I've never been to Japan, so I can't really do the comparison between Tokyo subway and NYC subway. But judging from the articles online, Tokyo subway system is surely among the top. Not to mention its urban rail system, oh how I envy that.
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #853
ukiyo

It was quite dirty (relatively speaking), and the trains were not that punctual (at least when I used it [in Japan they come within 3 seconds of the time literally]). Subway is only one part of Tokyo's infrastructure, if I'm not mistaken the commuter rail in Tokyo is more extensive and convenient than the subway, but I may be wrong since Tokyo's subway is rapidly expanding and is very new... Perhaps it is equal to commuter rail now, and maybe even surpassed it? I am not from Tokyo or lived in Tokyo so I'm not sure.

Regardless I prefer commuter rail over subways anyways since I can enjoy the city views.

These are the following subways I have used:
Osaka, Kobe, Tokyo, Fukuoka, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, New York City, Paris.

I will rank them (in my own opinion) according to this: Cleanliness, how extensive, Trains and convenience.

*Note yes I ranked HK and Tokyo both as 1.

1. Hong Kong (it also uses the same system developed by Sony as Japan [RFID chips]).
1. Tokyo (like I said before I mostly use Tokyo's commuter rail and not subway so I am not sure how the entire subway is like)
3. Osaka
4. Singapore
5. Kobe (it's tiny, only 2 lines but for the size of Kobe it does what it's built to do).
6. Fukuoka (same as Kobe)
7. Shanghai (much bigger than Kobe's and Fukuoka's but I felt it wasn't as clean or convenient [I was in Shanghai in 2006 so I am sure it's even better now])
8. Paris (I rate it above NYC b/c of architecture, otherwise they would both be equal for me)
9. New York City

Remember this isn't my list of overall cities only cities I have personally been to.

BTW here is a video I took of Tokyo's subway

Old September 30th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #854
ukiyo

Here are some of my pictures of Yokohama's Subway (Note: I just added Yokohama to my list with Tokyo instead of having 10 cities since they are linked anyways and the same metropolitan area).

Sign

(Who is taking that pic?)

(There was a dome in center of station)
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:03 AM   #855
fragel

very nice pictures and video. gotta visit Japan one day(I only had flight connection in Osaka and Narita, was impressed by the airports already).
Old September 30th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #856
ukiyo

Thanks

I don't really like Narita airport too much but I am super excited about Haneda airport (Tokyo), in October the brand new international terminal will open it looks awesome!!

In this post you can see a glimpse of it:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=152
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #857
FlagshipV
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post

Agree HK's MTR lines are great!!
FlagshipV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #858
AmirBaki

Tokyo for sure for me... clean, efficient and ON TIME which is a big plus, never seen that in any other major city. I read somewhere that the engineer actually apologizes if hes more than 15 seconds late or something...

Although as nihonkitty said its not as nice as its 'commuter' rail, its still very extensive and covers most of the city, and the commuter rail (basically just ground level subway trains, so still part of the subway system right?) covers the rest of the city and its suburbs
AmirBaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #859
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1638

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmirBaki View Post
Tokyo for sure for me... clean, efficient and ON TIME which is a big plus, never seen that in any other major city. I read somewhere that the engineer actually apologizes if hes more than 15 seconds late or something...

Although as nihonkitty said its not as nice as its 'commuter' rail, its still very extensive and covers most of the city, and the commuter rail (basically just ground level subway trains, so still part of the subway system right?) covers the rest of the city and its suburbs
I agree!! Tokyo has a great network!!

Singapore's subway system is expanding greatly as well!!
Old September 30th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #860
SergioD

I still love the Paris metro best. Runs quiet, runs smoothly, cost is reasonable, stations are clean and on some lines you get great views of a great city. Hard to beat.
SergioD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
subway