daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 1st, 2010, 02:41 AM   #861
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7150

Madrid hands down.

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2010, 04:23 AM   #862
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmirBaki View Post
Tokyo for sure for me... clean, efficient and ON TIME which is a big plus, never seen that in any other major city. I read somewhere that the engineer actually apologizes if hes more than 15 seconds late or something...

Although as nihonkitty said its not as nice as its 'commuter' rail, its still very extensive and covers most of the city, and the commuter rail (basically just ground level subway trains, so still part of the subway system right?) covers the rest of the city and its suburbs
Since when is being on time an issue with a metro system? A proper metro system has a frequent enough service that people never actually check time tables. Most people for instant don't realize the London tube actually has a time table, and this is common for most full networks. They are turn up and hop on services.

Actually, I liked the Tokyo system as well, but what I found was a let down, at least when I was last there 3 years or so ago, was that the network was divided into at least two seperate companies, and I found that even though I had a ticket, it wasn't valid when I changed lines because the other line was run by a different firm. This wasn't very efficient.
Old October 1st, 2010, 04:40 AM   #863
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10396

No one really buys tickets (except tourists who don't know the system I guess). You use a suica card (you simply sweep the card over the scanner), which can be used by basically every company in Japan now. The only time I used tickets is for Shinkansen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suica

It works on buses, taxis, subway, commuter rail and even in restaurants and vending machines. The company doesn't matter . The suica is now even usable in basically every city in the entire country too (before it was only Tokyo). Hong Kong and Singapore also use the same system and Hong Kong was actually the first to use it even though it was developed by Sony.

Nowadays Japanese cell phones have this built into them, so your cell phone is basically a train card + wallet.

Last edited by ukiyo; October 1st, 2010 at 04:52 AM.
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 05:51 AM   #864
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

The lack of integration isn't just to do with the tickets, never been there but it seems as though the interchanges aren't particularly convenient.

Also, the stations are often cramped and rather bland and unattractive. Tokyo only wins on punctuality, IMO. Even then there are more frequent trains in Moscow and Paris.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 06:14 AM   #865
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Is it a coincidence that the four busiest metro systems happen to have large rolling stock?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 06:19 AM   #866
ukiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
The lack of integration isn't just to do with the tickets, never been there but it seems as though the interchanges aren't particularly convenient.

Also, the stations are often cramped and rather bland and unattractive. Tokyo only wins on punctuality, IMO. Even then there are more frequent trains in Moscow and Paris.
The only inconvenience I can think of is with the commuter rail outside of the central wards. The subway (which this thread is about) on the other hand is not inconvenient at all, it is new and you don't really need to change anywhere (unless you're a tourist and going all over the place ). The commuter rail (above ground) was planned and designed decades ago (and in many cases the early 1900s).

This is why I never give my opinion on systems I have never been on...it's better to give a judgement if you've actually used it. Every person in this thread who has been to Tokyo and other systems has ranked it high, but maybe it's a conspiracy :P

Last edited by ukiyo; October 1st, 2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:41 AM   #867
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
I will rank them (in my own opinion) according to this: Cleanliness, how extensive, Trains and convenience.

*Note yes I ranked HK and Tokyo both as 1.

1. Hong Kong (it also uses the same system developed by Sony as Japan [RFID chips]).
The Hong Kong one isn't very extensive - thought it is expanding. It's lack of extensiveness is brought about by physical factors though.

But yes, it rates very highly on the other scales - in particular cleanliness and convenience.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:55 PM   #868
ajaaronjoe
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

London Underground is kinda interesting though as it is world's oldest underground railway systems, and it also has different architecture in each station.
ajaaronjoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #869
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Madrid hands down.
I'll second that
Balkanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #870
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10167

I think I posted in this thread a long time ago, but IMO, Washington DC has the best metro in North America aesthetically speaking.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:50 PM   #871
SeñorGuillermo
A&A

Likes (Received): 48

Mexico City Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBusMetro View Post
HOLA A TODOS!!!
AQUI ESTAN ALGUNA IMAGENES DE LA LLEGADA DE LOS NUEVOS TRENES FM-07 QUE CIRCULARAN EN LINEA "A" ESPERO PORDER VERLOS PRONTO Y SUBIRME EN ELLOS LO ESPERO CON ANSIA JEJE

BUENO ESPERO LES GUSTEN.....
Fuente: http://www.adefesio.com/search/label/Metro
SeñorGuillermo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:07 PM   #872
SeñorGuillermo
A&A

Mexico City Metro Modernizes and Expands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook89 View Post
Estas son las ultimas imagenes que subieron a la pagina de proyecto metro sobre las estaciones subterráneas, son de finales de agosto. De las elevadas son de septiembre.

Estación Eje Central

De las fotos que hay en el sitio, estas son de las que muestran mas el "corazón" de la obra.

Estación Mexicaltzingo

Estación Calle 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by siDEmaIN-ALEX View Post
Tuve la oportunidad de visitar los talleres de la estación Tláhuac, les traigo sólo unas fotos.
Estación Tlahuac

Talleres

Tramo elevado

Poco a poco iré poniendo más fotos, esto es solo la probadita, complementando las fotos de las estaciones profundas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Urban View Post
Aqui les traigo un pequeño avance de lo que es de la Estación }Periférico Ote. a Tlatenco

Periférico Ote:

Ya estan colocando los soportes del cajon mas altos, que son los próximos al inicio de la estación:

Como ya habían informado anteriormente 18 m sobre el nivel del piso

Aquí las columnas casi pegadas al puente vehicular del Periférico a ver cuanto le calculan de separación:

Perspectiva general:

Estación San Lorenzo:

Sin gran avance

Olivos:

Misma situación

Interestación Olivos - Nopalera

Ya ahn colocado una cerca, o será los soportes para las instalaciones de comunicaciones y servicios.

Nopalera:

Sin avance significativo

Interestación Nopalera - Zapotitlán

Esta curvita se ve muy bien y pensar que tuvieron que llevarse n casas debajo
]

Zapotitlán:

Aquí si se nota un avance puesto que ya están colocados los cabezales de la estación que tendrá un diseño estructural similar a las del tamo de Pueblo Culhuacán a Tomatlán que son construidas por ICA

y su interestacion con Tlatenco igual que el tramo norte de Av. Tláhuac
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymex20 View Post
Lo que estan haciendo en la interestacion Olivos - Nopalera, se me figura que es la cerca que les van a poner según vi en renders, pero mejor te dejo un render para veas a lo que me refiero. Arriba de las trabes metalicas estan las tavlas de cocnreto, y arriva de estan se ve que hay algo mas y eso es lo que creo que estan poniendo ahí:

Mexico City Metro is expanding and modernizing one more time.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:08 PM   #873
SeñorGuillermo
A&A

Future Stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook89 View Post
Estas son las ultimas imagenes que subieron a la pagina de proyecto metro sobre las estaciones subterráneas, son de finales de agosto. De las elevadas son de septiembre.

Estación Eje Central

De las fotos que hay en el sitio, estas son de las que muestran mas el "corazón" de la obra.

Estación Mexicaltzingo

Estación Calle 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by siDEmaIN-ALEX View Post
Tuve la oportunidad de visitar los talleres de la estación Tláhuac, les traigo sólo unas fotos.
Estación Tlahuac

Talleres

Tramo elevado

Poco a poco iré poniendo más fotos, esto es solo la probadita, complementando las fotos de las estaciones profundas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Urban View Post
Aqui les traigo un pequeño avance de lo que es de la Estación }Periférico Ote. a Tlatenco

Periférico Ote:

Ya estan colocando los soportes del cajon mas altos, que son los próximos al inicio de la estación:

Como ya habían informado anteriormente 18 m sobre el nivel del piso

Aquí las columnas casi pegadas al puente vehicular del Periférico a ver cuanto le calculan de separación:

Perspectiva general:

Estación San Lorenzo:

Sin gran avance

Olivos:

Misma situación

Interestación Olivos - Nopalera

Ya ahn colocado una cerca, o será los soportes para las instalaciones de comunicaciones y servicios.

Nopalera:

Sin avance significativo

Interestación Nopalera - Zapotitlán

Esta curvita se ve muy bien y pensar que tuvieron que llevarse n casas debajo
]

Zapotitlán:

Aquí si se nota un avance puesto que ya están colocados los cabezales de la estación que tendrá un diseño estructural similar a las del tamo de Pueblo Culhuacán a Tomatlán que son construidas por ICA

y su interestacion con Tlatenco igual que el tramo norte de Av. Tláhuac
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymex20 View Post
Bueno, aqui les dejo unas fotos que acaban de poner en el facebook de Linea Dorada en donde ya se alcanza a ver grandes avances de la obra de la Linea 12, son fotos tomadas durante este mes, asi que esas imagenes han de ser como de hace 2 semanas:

OLIVOS

ERMITA

20 DE NOVIEMBRE

EJE CENTRAL

NOPALERA

PARQUE DE LOS VENADOS

PERIFERICO ORIENTE

ZAPOTITLAN

ZAPATA

Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:02 AM   #874
Justme
Gotta lite?

god that was boring.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:19 AM   #875
ajaaronjoe
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
god that was boring.
hundred and ten percent agree
ajaaronjoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #876
Berlinerin
:)

Likes (Received): 22

Berlin subway is the best. Stations are not as gorgeous as ,say, in Moscow but clean (unlike in Paris) and still look good.
Berlinerin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #877
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlinerin View Post
Berlin subway is the best. Stations are not as gorgeous as ,say, in Moscow but clean (unlike in Paris) and still look good.
Despite having a real love and respect for Berlin. I simply can't agree with you there. Each time I go back to Berlin, their public transport has deteriorated. It's the little things sometimes, but when so many little things go wrong it all adds up. Berlin has terrible signage. And by terrible, I mean it's so bad, some station have virtually no signs or network maps. This makes it difficult to know everything from which platform to go on, to where to change.

And so many stations are terribly ugly. There are some nice ones, especially those that have been recently built or renovated, but it seems so more ugly ones. Service frequencies also seems to have dropped. The trams may as well just shut down I found them so infrequent.

And then of course is the new U5 (U55) U-whatever. 3 stations existing, and the final connection is globally recognized as the slowest infrastructure construction project on the planet.

I think Berlin has great prospects in the future, and it certainly was one of the best networks in the world. But a lack of funds in the last few years has really taken a bit hit in the system.
Old December 10th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #878
ukiyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Actually, I liked the Tokyo system as well, but what I found was a let down, at least when I was last there 3 years or so ago, was that the network was divided into at least two seperate companies, and I found that even though I had a ticket, it wasn't valid when I changed lines because the other line was run by a different firm. This wasn't very efficient.
BTW just to let you know, that not only are all the cards usable on any system in Tokyo...now the 2 "subway" companies will be merging, so it will be just one company in Tokyo giving much better coverage and less transfers etc.
You can read more about it here: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0101205a1.html

Even if the plan doesn't go through they are still doing this which solves most of the problems:
Quote:
On Nov. 17 the president of Tokyo Metro announced the possibility of decreasing the fare for passengers transferring between the systems and of remodeling stations to make transfers between the two more convenient.
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #879
leo_mp

Likes (Received): 10

I saw that of modern Mexico, a little rough but this well! Prosperity to Latin America!
leo_mp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #880
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

What is with all the construction pics? No-one cares. People want to see the finished article, and even then those pics should be in tens not flipping millions.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
subway