daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #161
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

Imagine how boring these maps can be if all the metro lines are represented with one color!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #162
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

hehe, like noodle in a cup.^.I won't even look at it.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #163
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17802

The London Transport Museum has a whole section devoted to the evolution of their Underground map through the ages. It's quite amazing!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #164
picassoborseli

Location: Haarlem - Amsterdam - Madrid - Burgos - San Sebastián - Barcelona
Likes (Received): 12

- Madrid

This is an old map, about 5 years ago!
Please post the current map including metrosur!
picassoborseli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #165
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
i.e. The Frankfurt and Munich maps also show the S-bahn, which is a suburban railway similar to the RER in principle. and the Sydney map is of a commuter/suburban system not a metro or subway system.
RER is not similar to the S-Bahn for the simple reason that all RER lines run in specific tracks in dedicated tunnels. On the other side, all S-Bahn lines are crossing the city on the same tracks (which are even shared with national rail lines in some cases). Your idea on things are very confused obviously.

Granted that at the gates of Paris proper, lines C, D and E shares tracks with the suburban rails network, but that's only true on very marginal portions and they never share stations with those. I know you hate Paris but you have to accept some facts once in a while.

By the way, there are strong chances the RER E will be extended to reach La Défense. It will take a while to build the tunnel, but, that's still good news.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #166
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan
...By the way, there are strong chances the RER E will be extended to reach La Défense. It will take a while to build the tunnel, but, that's still good news.
will the RER E go on 'Reseau St. Lazare' through Pont cardinet, Clichy-Levallois, Asniers sur Seine, Becon.., and Courbevoie to La Defense?? or from St. Lazare direkt to the RER A tunel via Ch.G.Etoile??

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #167
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan
RER is not similar to the S-Bahn for the simple reason that all RER lines run in specific tracks in dedicated tunnels. On the other side, all S-Bahn lines are crossing the city on the same tracks (which are even shared with national rail lines in some cases). Your idea on things are very confused obviously.

Granted that at the gates of Paris proper, lines C, D and E shares tracks with the suburban rails network, but that's only true on very marginal portions and they never share stations with those. I know you hate Paris but you have to accept some facts once in a while.

By the way, there are strong chances the RER E will be extended to reach La Défense. It will take a while to build the tunnel, but, that's still good news.
I won't bother debating your endless rhetoric over the RER as it is nothing more than a waste of time. But your comment that I highlighted in bold shows clearly where your distorted view of the world around you comes from.

I have never once posted anything negative about Paris on SSC. I challenge you to find one single negative post about the city, it's architecture, the people or it's transport infrastructure. Despite my constant praising of Paris, your mind still translates that into, as you put it, a hate of the city.

How mind boggling bizarre.

You must be so obsessed with your RER that you are blinded to the reality of the world.

"Yes Marge, I would like a sausage"

Last edited by Justme; April 10th, 2006 at 11:34 PM.
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #168
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz
will the RER E go on 'Reseau St. Lazare' through Pont cardinet, Clichy-Levallois, Asniers sur Seine, Becon.., and Courbevoie to La Defense?? or from St. Lazare direkt to the RER A tunel via Ch.G.Etoile??
Neither of both. It will be a brand new tunnel. That's actually the only possible solution because of the congestion of traffic.

Probably direct from St-Lazare to La Défense, but maybe with a stop somewhere. The specific road of the tunnel isn't known yet, however, what is important is that the project is already financed. Indeed, the EPAD, the local authority managing La Défense business district, has told it will finance it.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:14 PM   #169
elkram
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyre
London had the first automated line. Victoria line
L'express Expo / the Expo Express opened to the public 28 April 1967, the year before the Victoria line came on stream -- its last day of service was sometime October 1972 -- although fully automated, fair organizers thought it best to staff the automatic trains with 'drivers' in the front 'cabs' so as to not freak out guests (passengers) waiting on the platforms -- it was the first fully automatic train in the world.

http://davesrailpix.com/odds/qu/htm/mwf01.htm

Cheers,
Chris
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:22 PM   #170
Alargule
Gidroow Neget Mola

Likes (Received): 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
I won't bother debating your endless rhetoric over the RER as it is nothing more than a waste of time. But your comment that I highlighted in bold shows clearly where your distorted view of the world around you comes from.

I have never once posted anything negative about Paris on SSC. I challenge you to find one single negative post about the city, it's architecture, the people or it's transport infrastructure. Despite my constant praising of Paris, your mind still translates that into, as you put it, a hate of the city.

How mind boggling bizarre.

You must be so obsessed with your RER that you are blinded to the reality of the world.

"Yes Marge, I would like a sausage"

He (or she?) probably meant it ironically. I'm rather sure even, given the "" ending that sentence.
Your interpretation is what's generally referred to as a self fulfilling prophecy.
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:45 PM   #171
EtherealMist
The World Is Yours

Likes (Received): 17

Boston:

EtherealMist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #172
ricz

Hong Kong no doubt, efficient, opened long hours everyday, 24hours on bank holidays; clean, modern, spacious, fast, never any delays; even cleaner or more convenient than the one in tokyo..
The worst has to be the London one, dirty, old, inefficient, delays all the time, rude staff, steaming hot, high rates of accidents but it has the history n sometimes fun to ride if its not a long journey.
ricz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #173
d7b

Likes (Received): 0

^is London's really that bad? haha
Well, after getting spoiled by HK's MTR and Japan's subway system - i feel Toronto's TTC really needs some renovations, improve the efficiency and delays, but it's doubtful given the poor financial performance

ditto for NYC, as much as i like the city.. it's too dirty!
d7b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #174
alsen
Celebrity Fitness

Likes (Received): 1

No doubt...Tokyo's is the best.superb clean and always on time.Sendai subway also one of da best but it's too expensive....imo
http://osamuabe.ld.infoseek.co.jp/su...endai/car2.jpg
alsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #175
ricz

well London's one if even worse than NY..by far..lol
n u'll be lucky if u dun get some tramps beggin u for money or sit on a seat where there is no chewing gum lol
Tokyo
all the way
Old May 7th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #176
dom

Likes (Received): 9

I've used all of these metro systems for at least a week a piece.

London
Pros: Its size, ease of use, historical innovation and character. The map, graphics etc are all world class.

Cons: Obscenely expensive (a 9 day NYC Metrocard when I went was the same price as a 1 day Zone 1-6+D travelcard!) and frequent signal failures. The district and circle lines. Poor coverage south of the thames. No air con.

New York
Pros: For being 24h, very cheap and fast.

Cons: Felt very dangerous back in 2001 when I was on holiday, loads of rats and leaking air conditioners.

Tokyo

Pros: Its size, price, ease of use, safety, technological innovation (felica cards), scale, and efficiency. The Yamanote line (which is imo the finest urban train line in the world imo).

Cons: Shinjuku station is possibly the most confusing place in the world for a foreigner! Should run later.

Paris

Pros: Efficient, great coverage of the city and station density. It has character too. Reliable.

Cons: Can't think of too many apart from that it felt rather edgy at night.

Moscow

Pros: The most beautiful by far. Very fast, efficient and very cheap.

Cons: Not many. The rail stock is rather old and rattles a bit (!) but for a relatively poorer country the Moscow Metro is an astounding achievement and certainly holds its own with any of the big 5.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of the other subway lines (Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai etc) aren't on the same scale to compare with the 'big 5.' Hong Kong and Singapore were quite impressive but didn't have the historical cachet of London or Paris, the size of Tokyo or the 24 hourness of New York. They felt rather devoid of charm and character... like faceless robots. But very efficient and clean.

A winner? I couldn't say. All of the main 5 are great systems. I'm tempted to say Moscow as its such an architectural achievement, but London is home to me and it has so much charm, New York is so cheap and runs all day, Tokyo is so advanced and the Paris subway has such great coverage of the city.

Last edited by dom; May 7th, 2006 at 07:28 PM.
dom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #177
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6819

I would not say that stock is old in Moscow. There are just two lines left that working only on Ezh and Em series. One line using new 81-74x series. One more lines is currently upgrading. Other lnes using 81-717/81-714 series. Not really old. In production from 1977 till present days.
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #178
me rrufsh bolet
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Well, we have to determine how we are judging "best subways" cause new york is more complex and covers a lot of ground, while many subways are new and barely amount to half of NY's size...Also, NY's subways are older
me rrufsh bolet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #179
EtherealMist
The World Is Yours

Likes (Received): 17

Is NYC's subway the only that stays open 24 hours?
EtherealMist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #180
ricz

Having been to a lot of cities' subway, I still have to say in terms of quality of the service(most helpful staff, best tickets system, value price), comfortness (air-conditioned, ultra modern, spotlessly clean, open, big and new interior of trains, refurbished and renew very often), efficiency(never any delays, trains every 1min in rush hour) and convenience(accessible in most metropolitan area, connected with all the other rail networks, shops around the station, exhibition held in some station, news being shown on screens), though it might as as monsterous as NY or London or as historical as those ones, the Hong Kong MTR definately deserves a nomination.
Tokyo
all the way

Tags
subway