daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old August 28th, 2005, 12:56 AM   #41
Martin G
Compulsive : Obsessive

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyface
Everyone calls me baldy didn't you know
Well, you can always call me limpo if you like!!! "Baldy" certainly wasn't meant in any nasty way. It came out cos I wanted to rhyme it with Goldie! Cos we WERE talking about Goldie for a moment!
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 28th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #42
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G
Not at all - I'm in a very very playful and positive mood actually - I've never had such fun in a long time! Seriously - I feel okay - things are fine. I'm just enjoying the craic, messing about as only I know how!
Good, enjot the good times.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 02:18 AM   #43
Smileyface
BAND AID

Likes (Received): 7

here are the tower blocks at Cambrian Wharf....these are guaranteed to destroy the feelygood element that has crept onto this thread

Smileyface no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #44
Bachy Soletanche

Likes (Received): 1358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyface
here are the tower blocks at Cambrian Wharf....these are guaranteed to destroy the feelygood element that has crept onto this thread
I always quite liked those ones, set at a nice Jaunty angle, and I always thought when going pass them from the Flapper and Firkin, "If I lived there I'd be home by now".
Bachy Soletanche no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #45
Nacho

Likes (Received): 49

I like those blocks;they should remain standing.

Smiley,do you know the flats in the following article?

The end for Bronx flats
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.
Aug 25, 2005
Demolition has begun on flats on a Kingstanding estate dubbed Birmingham's Bronx because of its high crime rate and deprivation.

Around 30 families on the Wyrley Birch estate have been relocated to allow a mass clearance of run-down blocks of flats.

At least four blocks of low-rise flats on Lakes Road are scheduled for demolition following a year of protests from residents at how unsightly and poorly maintained they were. The project was brought forward following a roof top protest by residents last year.

But tenants are concerned about a rise in vandalism in the emptying blocks, a city councillor has said.

City councillor Zoe Hopkins said: "People are generally happy about being rehoused but we are trying to ensure that they will get somewhere appropriate for their needs.

"One of the difficulties we are facing is that as people are moved out there are fewer residents in the old blocks and this has led to a rise in vandalism.

"We are currently working to get added security to the blocks while we arrange for the residents to be moved.

"The first stage of the clearing process started on Tuesday and we are looking to demolish the dilapidated flats so we can develop the estate. There is one three storey block coming down at the moment with about 20 families looking to get moved as we get rid of the most unsuitable properties and open up the estate."

Lakes Road resident Ken Burgess, aged 80, said the side entrances to the flats had been used as toilets by yobs who drank and took drugs there.

The retired Land Rover worker said: "When the flats were first built more than 40 years ago there were no problems.

"But the council ended up moving some very troubled people in there.

"They tried to improve things by adding double glazing, which is more than we have now in the houses, but it didn't solve anything."

He added: "I hope the demolition will improve things but the council could build Buckingham Palace here and it wouldn't make a difference if they just let more yobs live there."

Lorraine Cox, who organised a roof top protest last year to get the council to act, refused to comment.

Her friend Carol Frost, who also lives on Lakes Road, said: "It's great news that the flats are coming down as we have been waiting a long time."

Construction has also started on a long-awaited children's centre, which is set to be completed next year. Top housing councillor John Lines said the city council had opened discussions with the new owners of the derelict Chase pub on Lakes Road to try to agree demolition of the property.
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #46
Smileyface
BAND AID

Yeah I know those blocks Nacho.....they're only about 6 stories high but they are a really weird design and very run down. I'd get some pics for you but I don't fancy hanging round that estate with my camera......good riddance to them.
Old September 10th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #47
MIDGEBLACKANDWHITE
In the brig

Likes (Received): 0

Did you know that those flats near Cambrian Wharf go for over 100k each?
MIDGEBLACKANDWHITE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #48
Smileyface
BAND AID

Old September 21st, 2005, 06:12 PM   #49
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1128

EXCELLENT photos Smileyface! *Long live the tower block* I'm new here so please forgive me for asking this question on two threads but I was wondering if anyone had any photos of Castle Vale before (almost) all the tower blocks were demolished.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:45 AM   #50
Smileyface
BAND AID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield
EXCELLENT photos Smileyface! *Long live the tower block* I'm new here so please forgive me for asking this question on two threads but I was wondering if anyone had any photos of Castle Vale before (almost) all the tower blocks were demolished.
Cheers mate, this is the only one we have taken in 1968 though
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:45 AM   #51
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Great photo of Castle Vale, it's a shame there seems to be not many more around although I found this pic but it only shows 19 of the 34 (?) tower blocks.

I should be adding my own photos over the next few days
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:31 PM   #52
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Ok so here is Butterfield Court in Dudley (named after me of course ) Surely it has the most impressive views of any tower block in the country! East it looks over towards Birmingham and west over Shropshire, Worcestershire and the mountains of mid Wales on a clear day.

I hope you won't be TOO bored by these photos. You may notice other tower blocks besides Butterfield Court on the last pic, photos of those to follow shortly!

Old September 22nd, 2005, 05:43 PM   #53
Nacho

Great stuff Butterfield!I think it needs some mates though!Why did they get rid of the other two?Is this one going to contnue or are its days numbered?
Old September 22nd, 2005, 05:46 PM   #54
Nacho

Where are those two on the right?That's not Ocker Hill is it?
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:27 PM   #55
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

The reason that the other two larger tower blocks were demolished is the same reason that all the others meet their maker. I think Dudley council chose to concentrate on the one so in 1999 Butterfield court had a make over and the other two were, erm... dynamited I was there to witness and photograph the *sad* occasion.

As far as I know Butterfield Court is here to stay due to it's prime position and relative popularity. Just for the record, if you look at the distant photos the other two tower blocks (St James Court & Prince Of Wales Court) stood to the right of the remaining one facing the same way in a row side by side which I think is a rather unusual way of building them. Someone may want to challenge that thought!

Those other two on the photo aren't the ones at Ocker Hill, they're Clent and Claverley Courts in central Dudley. Photos of those will appear on here shortly!
Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:35 PM   #56
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Four Aston monsters

Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:45 PM   #57
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:54 PM   #58
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Interesting mid rise housing at Netherend, Dudley.

Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:57 PM   #59
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Hunting Tree estate Dudley, those 9 towers in the distance are in Brierly Hill, it's a large estate.

Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:01 AM   #60
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Beecher Estate, Dudley. Looks like a load of prison blocks.

Tags
commieblocks, tower blocks