daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old May 28th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #121
CargoHold
Ow'amya ?

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyface
Not to everyones taste but the old thread had a healthy post count and regular contributions so here is WMTB part 2. I'm gonna end up sticking all my old photo's on here but we'll start with some proper oldies

Duddeston/Aston flats 1953
I stumbled across these blocks today [how clumsy of me]. They have been tarted up using some vile cheap double glazing, but it seems that we all [here on the Brum forum] need a big brown thing to chain ourselves to so i choose these.

CargoHold no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 29th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #122
Bachy Soletanche

Likes (Received): 997

Good choice! These are great little towers, much better than the 60 rubbish that followed, nice, well medioka 50s attempt at Art-deco lines to them.
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #123
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 25

I agree these are the only post war tower blocks i'd wanna keep, they can demolish the rest of Aston and New Town as far as i'm concerned. (Especially Vile Park )

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #124
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 896

Great photos there CH. And thanks for digging up the old post so we can compare before/after!

I've driven past these flats a few times before but never know exactly where they are. I'm sure I saw them in the background on the news the other day when that boy got stabbed at the school.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #125
CargoHold
Ow'amya ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield
Great photos there CH. And thanks for digging up the old post so we can compare before/after!

I've driven past these flats a few times before but never know exactly where they are. I'm sure I saw them in the background on the news the other day when that boy got stabbed at the school.

Yes Butterfield, you are right, the school was behind me. I did not realise where i was until i turned around and saw it, grim business that.
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #126
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 52

I like these fellas too - if they were in Edgbaston (on the right side of the Hagley Road) they would be pricey penthouses now...
Old May 30th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #127
Engels
Simples

Hold on Bio.. both sides of the Hagley Rd are pretty pricey which one r u reffering too? The one with the Conservation area around St Augustine's Church or the one that backs on to Harbourne?

Actually there are some similar looking blocks around there.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Old May 30th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #128
Biosonic
Second Citizen

I was thinking everything on the Hagley Road to Bristol Road (including up to Harborne) side rather than the bit toward Ladywood and the reservoir
Old May 30th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #129
Engels
Simples

I often refer to the resevoir side as North Edgbaston as it's used by the residents committys, it is really pricey in St.Augustine's conservation area next to where i live and there is a simialr looking appartment block to this on Melville rd.

I have to admit though the north side of the Hagely rd is rather patchy.. it becomes dodgy near Monument rd and ladywood... there's such an obvious difference beteeen the 2 sides of the Resevoir that really affects the price although there are still some really nice buildings surviving in Ladywood. Hope they regenerate this area one day.. i guess the Icknield port loop plan migfht spread to there eventually... until then i'll stay on the other side of the resevoir in North Edgbaston

Old May 30th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #130
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Good move Engels - I think that part of town will really pick up with a little "cleaning up" of the area and a few well-chosen destruction of tower blocks. It just needs that little push to connect across the Middleway and into the Browning St area...
Old June 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #131
CargoHold
Ow'amya ?

Here are some more blocks that i would like to see stay, not because they are architectural classics but because they still provide good housing. They are situated on Hollybank Road, on the edge of Billesley Common

Whilst taking the shots i got to speak with a couple of the residents who told me they liked living there, saying that the flats were nice, with no graffiti or other vandalism. Most occupants are 55 y/o or over. The flats were renovated some years ago when the awful green metal cladding was put over the original brick galleries, lets hope that the council will one day realise their mistake and remove the vile stuff. Putting aside the cladding, take a close look at the borders around the foot of the block on the second photo, it's rare to see such well cared and so mature planting on a council estate.

Old June 4th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #132
Nacho

Likes (Received): 33

Yes,those look quite nice.Thanks for the photo.
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:15 AM   #133
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

I enjoyed reading your mini essay there CH!

Thanks for the photos, I don't think I've seen these flats before but have found where they are on me A-Z for future reference.
Old June 9th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #134
Smileyface
BAND AID

Likes (Received): 7

What's going on with the Cambrian wharf Blocks?

Smileyface no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #135
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Yikes! I hope that they're being given a makeover and that it isn't the end for them...
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #136
jolon
Sense Offender

They're being given a makeover. Though i would prefer them to knock the things down. It's completely the wrong location for blocks like that. Hopefully the makeover's will seriously improve their appearence.
Old June 9th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #137
Nacho

Likes (Received): 33

Come on Smiley and Butterfield...keeep up with the news! Smart reclad for these blocks.I'm happy about it ......but I realise not not everybody likes them.Thanks for the pics.
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #138
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Oh good. I thought I'd *heard* someone on here say that they might be going so that was my first thought.

I do agree with jolon that they are in the wrong place - they are more suburby than city centre, much like Stephenson Tower, but I still wouldn't want them to go.
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #139
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
Come on Smiley and Butterfield...keeep up with the news! Smart reclad for these blocks.
And anyway, why wasn't this news posted here in the tower blocks thread??
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #140
CargoHold
Ow'amya ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield
And anyway, why wasn't this news posted here in the tower blocks thread??
It was mentioned in the official thread a few weeks back. The council are to spend 5 million quid on them, if i remember rightly the balconies are going to be replaced with floor to ceiling glass.

Tags
commieblocks, tower blocks