daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2015, 04:29 AM   #161
nico_hurtado

Likes (Received): 39

Come the RER in Brussels at December?
nico_hurtado no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2015, 12:22 PM   #162
Thorum

Likes (Received): 1095

Probably the name will be use from december on (even though it's called S-bahn now).

For a decent service, we'll probably have to wait a couple of decades yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederikD View Post
Kaartje erbij, klikken voor grote versie:

MiaM, Rail_Serbia liked this post
Thorum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #163
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19754

The new suburban and urban express net will start from december 13th, with opening of the new Schuman-Josaphat tunnel between the European Quarter and Schaarbeek and the opening of 2 extra train stops: Mouterij in the east and Tour & Taxis in the west:

The first year it will be more of an upgrade of existing lines, with a rather low frequency. Though, the network should grow in the near future with more frequent trains, becoming a real 'S-bahn'.

New logo:

New network.
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #164
Benonie
Bike It!

The future metro stations on the northern extension of metro line 3:

Liedtsplein in Schaarbeek.

Station Colignon, under Schaarbeek town hall.

Station Verboekhoven

Station Riga.

Station Linde.

Station Vrede.

Station Bordet
Old September 17th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #165
Benonie
Bike It!

From the Belgian forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by europhoric View Post
New(?) render of one of the stations, as seen in the recent presentation to residents, giving some idea of access to the platform and the general size:

Old September 18th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #166
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101511

Nice to see the whole world of metro systems to partake in the race of decorating stations rather than just making them utilitarian only.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

MiaM, Klausenburg liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #167
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Some recent videos of Brussels from Timosha21

Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994, joshsam, austrian, jan_culer liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 01:55 AM   #168
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

^You can see the new Schuman station in that video at 1:08.

Below are some pictures from the .be forum on the new Schuman station. It was a metro station before but now a new underground railway line and stop runs above the station.
The situation is rather complex. There is a metro, railway and car tunnels crossing on that point, not to mention the EU buildings wich are above that. The dark mid section just above the tracks is actually supporting the car tunnel where on the side they made trenches to let natural light flow in the new station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filou View Post
Nog een kleine update van vandaag 5 december '15

Old December 8th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #169
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

This is the only cab view video I could find in Brussels.
This is line 1 from Stokkel to Beekkant.

austrian, metr0p0litain liked this post
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2016, 12:37 AM   #170
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Likes (Received): 49

The expected opening of the Schuman-Josaphat tunnel has been put off for several months. The authorities had not yet done an emergency response drill in the new tunnel, partly because of security concerns since the Paris attacks last November. Right now, it's anyone's guess when the tunnel will open but mid-April is the most likely timeframe.

I've ridden the entire underground part of the Brussels Métro system from end to end including the Pre-Métro lines 3, 4, and 7/25 for their underground sections including the short branches at Albert and Lemmonier.

The system is pretty good but someone high enough up to make instant changes needs to visit the Paris Métro. Brussels is really bad at giving passenger info in all stations. Sometimes you can't even find a system map until you're on the platform and then you learn that you needed to be on the other platform to get to where you need to go. Same thing for signing all the little corridors that show all the stations you can get to by following that corridor, something that's seen everywhere in Paris but nearly nowhere in Brussels. In a few Brussels stations local area maps of the streets near that station are present but this is a rare luxury even if they are in just about every station on the Paris Métro.

Something really cool I saw in Tokyo and Osaka many years ago was the station name boards. They of course mentioned the name of the station you were in. A second line of text below mentioned the following station in each direction, very helpful for tourists and strangers getting on the right train the first time. Sort of like this example...

.................................TOKYO CENTRAL....................................

..................Tokyo West..................Tokyo East.........................

The dots are used to keep the words in their correct places on your screen.

Reste trés bien comme un porc-épic!!!

dimlys1994, tigalion liked this post
Tyger-Wyger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:13 PM   #171
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5751

New tunnel tentatively scheduled to open 2016.04.05

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.en...sels/1.2567851

dimlys1994, MiaM liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 02:52 AM   #172
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

I was in Brussels a couple days ago and rode the metro.

They are using a new paper ticket that is already being sold in their vending machines. The new ticket does NOT work in the old orange validators. Sadly, there is nothing on the validators that mentions this. I put one of my new tickets into four of the ORANGE validators. Two of them said the ticket was invalid and the other two rejected them. I stood in line for several minutes and asked what what going on. No, my tickets weren't defective, they only worked with the RED validators! And so they did but there was nothing on the red validators that mentioned they now accepted the new tickets. There were two crude pictograms which showed a ticket being used with a red validator but the ticket on the pictos was quite different from the one in my hand! ......... This was in the Gare de Midi or the South Train Station
stop, one of the busiest on the system!!!

During my return I momentarily lost my way for lack of any mention on a sign for a pair of bus routes. I was looking to change into the Premetro at Debroukère and ended up walking farther than necessary to get to an open space that I normally would not have entered. In that space I learned that I needed to go back the way I came to get where I was going. Had the sign for the bus routes mentioned that this was also the way to the Premetro all would have been well. A little later there was a sign for the Premetro but it was invisible until you were quite close to it.

As I said in my post a little above this one, there is a lot of work to be done as far as rider information goes in Brussels.

QUESTION:

The Lemonnier Premetro station is a large junction point. There's a short underground branch that goes to the surface nearby for one of the lines. The branch comes off the main line that connects the Midi and Nord rail stations. There is another tunnel there that joins this but is not used for service even though it is four tracks wide. Does anyone know where it goes and what purpose it has?

dimlys1994, _Night City Dream_ liked this post
Old February 23rd, 2016, 03:12 AM   #173
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Four tracks wide without service at Lemonier?
http://carto.metro.free.fr/cartes/me...tion=Lemonnier

Tyger-Wyger liked this post
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 09:47 AM   #174
Thorum

Likes (Received): 1095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger-Wyger View Post
I was in Brussels a couple days ago and rode the metro.

They are using a new paper ticket that is already being sold in their vending machines. The new ticket does NOT work in the old orange validators. Sadly, there is nothing on the validators that mentions this.
This information is available on most of the validators, and on a lot of the glass things you have to walk through. I haven't been in Midi since, so that would indeed be a problem.

Quote:
I was looking to change into the Premetro at Debroukère and ended up walking farther than necessary to get to an open space that I normally would not have entered. (...) bus routes (...)
I don't think you made a mistake. It is a very long walk between the metro and the premetro at De Brouckère. If you encountered busses, you went aboveground, which is obviously a mistake to transfer between two underground services at the same station
But I do agree that bus and metro/premetro-services are too much separated out at De Brouckère (as a regular bus-user from that stop).

Quote:
The Lemonnier Premetro station is a large junction point. There's a short underground branch that goes to the surface nearby for one of the lines. The branch comes off the main line that connects the Midi and Nord rail stations. There is another tunnel there that joins this but is not used for service even though it is four tracks wide. Does anyone know where it goes and what purpose it has?
It are definitely NOT the tracks from carto metro. Those are yet to be build:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=611

I'll try and remember to look next time I pass there and let you know. The most likely situation is that you looked around to much and looked back in the direction of Midi when there was no tram visible.

dimlys1994, Tyger-Wyger, Mojito liked this post
Thorum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 06:03 PM   #175
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26126

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...at-tunnel.html

Exercise tests Schuman — Josaphat tunnel
26 Feb 2016

BELGIUM: An exercise to test safety equipment and emergency planning was held during the early hours of February 26 in the tunnel connecting Schuman and Josaphat stations in Brussels, involving the police and emergency services as well as infrastructure manager Infrabel and train operator SNCB.

The exercise simulated the evacuation of a train making an emergency stop in the tunnel after a smoke alarm had been activated. The first emergency personnel arrived in the tunnel some 12 min later at 01.55, with 40 passengers treated on the spot for injuries or evacuated via the tunnel’s emergency escape routes

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

MiaM, joshsam liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 05:16 AM   #176
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorum View Post
This information is available on most of the validators, and on a lot of the glass things you have to walk through. I haven't been in Midi since, so that would indeed be a problem.

I don't think you made a mistake. It is a very long walk between the metro and the premetro at De Brouckère. If you encountered busses, you went aboveground, which is obviously a mistake to transfer between two underground services at the same station
But I do agree that bus and metro/premetro-services are too much separated out at De Brouckère (as a regular bus-user from that stop).

It are definitely NOT the tracks from carto metro. Those are yet to be build:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=611

I'll try and remember to look next time I pass there and let you know. The most likely situation is that you looked around to much and looked back in the direction of Midi when there was no tram visible.
Where I am talking about is on this map. Starting off from Station Midi, follow the map around to the right and up to and through the Tunnel Jamar. Continue on in the same direction and you arrive at Station Lemonnier and you can see the short tunnel that goes off diagonally to the left on the Bld du Midi. You see the big light gray area between Tunnel Jamar on the left and Nouvelle Tunnel Tram and Tunnel Routier Existant sous l'av. Fosny on the right. That is the space I was talking about. Where the tracks for lines 3 and 4 meet the unused section there are three tracks that connect with lines 3 and 4 plus another on the right as you look into the unused space that merges into the rightmost track that leaves the space in the direction of Lemonnier going north. The space is well lit but you can not see the end of it from lines 3 and 4.

As to my misadventure at De Brouckère, I never went out of the station and up to the street. The open space was underground. There was a sign at the top of the stairs from the Métro that said to turn right to get to two bus lines so obviously to the outside. Seeing nothing for the Premétro, I turned left and came into the open space. After a quick look around I know I was in the wrong place and made a U-Turn back the way I came, passing the stairs I'd just climbed. This led me to a T-Junction where the buses were to the left and the Premétro to the right. Had the Premétro lines been mentioned on the same sign at the top of the stairs, I'd have turned right rather than left got got to the Premétro a little quicker.

I passed by Midi again a week or so after the incident described above and they did finally have stickers on the red validators. They should have been there from the first day they started selling the new tickets to avoid customer confusion.

Old March 9th, 2016, 05:29 AM   #177
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post

Four tracks wide without service at Lemonier?
http://carto.metro.free.fr/cartes/me...tion=Lemonnier
It seems to be something used for the new Constitution station. Look on the map at the name Lemonnier. Just next to the 'r' is the tunnel portal for two or more tram lines that run mostly on the surface. Follow that back past the platforms in a straight line and you see this in black: - - - -, which is the future trace of the new line. That's the unused tunnel I'm talking about. It may be for a new way to get to Constitution in the future but it looks like it has been there for decades. Do you know anything about the history of it? Was it built for a plan that was later abandoned?

Even though there are four tracks in this tunnel, one of them merges into the next one just before the end and only three come out of this tunnel and merge into the tracks for Lines 3 and 4.

Thanks.

Old April 4th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #178
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26126

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=537

Brussels Schuman - Josaphat rail tunnel opens
Monday, April 04, 2016

A new rail link between the southeast and northeast of Brussels opened on April 4, when passenger services began using the 1.25km Schuman-Josaphat tunnel, which connects the Schuman station on the Brussels - Namur line in the city's European quarter with the Halle - Vilvoorde line south of Meiser station

The €537m link will enable the extension of services from Namur and Charleroi to Brussels Airport without adding to congestion on the main north-south line through the city, although the airport station is currently closed due to the terrorist attack on the terminal on March 22

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

joshsam liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 10:45 PM   #179
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Rail Journal:
I tried that last weekend. It does not seem to have and scheduled trains on it that pass through Brussels-Luxembourg to anywhere.

I'll try again later during a weekday.

Old April 23rd, 2016, 11:46 PM   #180
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3920

I just found this:

Quote:
Train services to Brussels Airport to resume on Friday 22 April

April 22, 2016

Train traffic to and from the station Brussels Airport – Zaventem will be resumed as of tomorrow 2 pm. The station had not been served since the attacks of 22 March. There is no damage to the station itself, but the access to the station is currently not available because it is located in the airport building that was damaged by the attacks. This access will remain closed while repairs are taking place. Transport Minister Bellot (MR) is happy to see the airport accessible by train again.

NMBS/SNCB and Brussels Airport Company have therefore decided, in consultation with the security services and Infrabel, to reopen the old train station on Friday 22 April, so that passengers and staff can once again come to the airport by train.

Passengers will use the existing platforms to access the old station that was made ready to receive passengers. Revised signage will guide the passengers in the right direction.

http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/mediaroom/news/72531/
Therefore I imagine there wasn't much traffic on the new tunnel until yesterday.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote