daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old January 17th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #1001
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 24

this one?

or one of these...

Comdot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 17th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #1002
butterfingers22
she's clearly not well!

Likes (Received): 0

I noticed the first photo, the older warehouse, is half gone, just a wall still standing at the end.
butterfingers22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #1003
Comdot
Taikun

that's this then http://www.skyscrapernews.com/buildings.php?id=5002

sounds like someone may be after a temporary car park...
Comdot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #1004
L@tic

Likes (Received): 6

A friend parks there and told me that the people who own the car park next door paid for the demolition so they could extend thier car park. Apparently the other car park owners round there are none too pleased.
L@tic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:28 PM   #1005
Mez

Likes (Received): 8

Not strictly Greengate...

Can anyone link me or email me any renders of the outdoor cinema-island proposal for the site that's locked between the Irwell, Trinity Way and Springfield lane?

map

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...06974&t=h&z=18

It included a weird mish-mash matchbox style quarter, an outdoor cinema and even a new canal that would have made it an island.
Looked a bit like the Citadel development...

image hosted on flickr

Thanks in advance. I need it for a debate i'm having with a local resident
Mez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM   #1006
kids

Likes (Received): 172

official thingy from the central salford site

Quote:
Contractor appointed to create Greengate public spaces

The vision of a new urban quarter linking Salford and Manchester is another step closer, with the appointment of contractors who will create the first phase of public areas and spaces at Greengate.

Salford City Council has awarded an £8 million contract to Carillion for public realm works that are being seen as the catalyst to attract £580 million of private sector investment over the next 15 years.

The creation of new public areas are the first stage of the regeneration of the area which will see a mix of commercial, residential and leisure uses, in a joint venture between Central Salford URC, Salford City Council, English Partnerships, Network Rail and ASK Developments.

Designed by Whitelaw Turkington and Arup, the public areas will include an iconic footbridge across the Irwell *from Manchester Cathedral and the heart of Manchester into *a new 'Urban Cove' and 'Greengate Link' *taking *people *through the former viaduct. The space will be animated with*architectural sculptures and art based light installations leading through to a new public square.

Detailed designs for the public realm are due to be submitted in February 2009, with work on the ground expected to start in autumn 2009. Carillion is being brought in at this early stage to help inform the designs and ensure that they deliverable.

Phase 1 of the Greengate public realm is to be funded by £5.5 million of English Partnerships funding and private sector funding through Section 106 contributions.

Cllr Derek Antrobus, Salford City Council's lead member for planning, who approved the appointment of the contractors, said: "This is a clear vote of confidence by the public sector in the future of this area. The public sector continues to plan for growth and prosperity and to move forward despite the challenges posed by current economic circumstances.

"Apart from the immediate economic benefits of this investment, it will ensure that development can move ahead swiftly when the property market picks up. There is a clear long-term commitment by developers in this area who recognise that its location at the heart of the regional centre guarantees the success of investments."

Added Chris Farrow, Chief Executive of Central Salford URC who are leading on the Greengate scheme: "Greengate is at the core of our vision for Central Salford and I am delighted with the ongoing commitment and support for the scheme by both our public and private sector partners. The public realm is a vital part of the Greengate scheme and this investment marks an important step forward for the project and our ambition to make Central Salford a beautiful, vibrant and prosperous part of the Regional Centre.”

Rob Coupe, Carillion Civil Engineering Regional Director said: "Carillion is delighted to have won this project which will have a positive impact on the area.”

Date Published
Wednesday, 03 December 2008
Reference Number
08-2216

Press & media enquiries only:
Name
Liz Carridge
Telephone
0161 793 2913
Email
HYPERLINK "mailto:liz.carridge@salford.gov.uk" liz.carridge@salford.gov.uk
very glad this is still in the frame.

http://www.centralsalford.com/index.php?page=Projects

Last edited by kids; January 22nd, 2009 at 10:16 PM.
kids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:07 PM   #1007
kids

more up to date reminders of this

Last edited by kids; January 22nd, 2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:09 PM   #1008
kids

..sorry.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:27 PM   #1009
GShutty

Likes (Received): 449

I F.in hate that crappy bus depot opposite hanging ditch, so great news that that will be enhanced. Certainly good news for those living in Abito too and will make that part of Deansgate considerably improved. The start of things to come....
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:44 PM   #1010
kids

well, hopefully.. still, it's imaginable that Ask could yet bail this.

more huge pictures

http://www.centralsalford.com/cms/as...te%20squar.jpg

http://www.centralsalford.com/cms/as...%20%20Link.jpg

http://www.centralsalford.com/cms/as...20Monument.jpg
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:31 AM   #1011
0mkp

The thing is it really needs more trees, especially if it is to be called greengate! the central park bit is fine but the cone tree water feature things really could do with a little but more nature to stop it looking so stale! especially in a couple of years time.

right now i guess im happy something is going ahead still at all! moan over mouth now shut!
0mkp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:50 AM   #1012
spoonsbeatfish

The Victoria Street pedestrianisation would really help lead into this, linking the Cathedral Gardens to the Irwell and across. I think it was supposed to be done early 2011 but with TIF out the window (which I think was where the funding was coming from) this could taken even longer.
spoonsbeatfish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:21 PM   #1013
Chorley Boi

the centre of manchester this is i finks
Chorley Boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:20 PM   #1014
Local Lad
Geeves

Chorleyboi. I could be wrong but the river is the boundary between Salford and Manchester. I would say that the majority of this plan is in Salford

edit, but yes most people would class it as the centre of Manchester

Looking good though...
Local Lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:46 PM   #1015
nicky2tu
Nice up North

Likes (Received): 9

Interesting "pinched" section in the middle of the foot bridge. Is that a clever way to stop motor vehicles using it without using bollards?
nicky2tu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:25 PM   #1016
Chorley Boi

is the square going to be called greengate square
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:02 PM   #1017
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Don't like this, it's shit. For a start, LOSE THAT BRIDGE!! why does that area need another bridge? A bridge that does not sit well with the Victoria Bridge next to it, it's quite an awkward looking shape and it doesn't connect well, I don't like this area here either

Do we really need another bridge to bring people down to an area that can be reached by the existing bridge? I also don't like that...water park thing with it's fake trees, where the children are playing with mummy and daddy in the renders, it's a wasted opportunity imo. A simple entrance to this spot from the existing bridge is all that is needed, leading people into a proper green space not some chrome and brushed steel wind trap, a green space that covers the whole of the area this 'water feature' covers with real trees and benches and a tasteful fountain or two, a simple path would lead people down to the exact same place that horrible new bridge would.

This could be so much better.
rolybling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:10 PM   #1018
butterfingers22
she's clearly not well!

I think thankfully very little of this will come to fruition, especially that bridge. Imagine that bridge, then the irwell river regeneration scheme snaking along poking out and having silly walkways . They seem determined to ruin what is quite an attractive riverscape, the whole river will be underground soon. such a shame!
butterfingers22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:52 PM   #1019
Chorley Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfingers22 View Post
I think thankfully very little of this will come to fruition, especially that bridge. Imagine that bridge, then the irwell river regeneration scheme snaking along poking out and having silly walkways . They seem determined to ruin what is quite an attractive riverscape, the whole river will be underground soon. such a shame!
contracts been awarded, this is coming....
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #1020
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfingers22 View Post
I see what you mean, when you look at the render it just doesn't look right. 3 bridges already and another isn't needed. They'd be better remodeling the whole of the river bank on both sides and working with the owners of North Tower and that state of a building over the road. Get both councils involved and they could create something which will make the river a feature rather than that cheap design solution with some stupid water feature. This extra bridge is only going to make future development with the river bank more expensive! Its very poor, I can't believe it passed!
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote