daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #41
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

That "concept" sounds like crap. No architect would do that, EVER.

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #42
Valeroso

Likes (Received): 2

Hahaha , I'm laughing at all these buildings! They're so scary, so sinister that all I can do is laugh!

Four Tower Blocks in Glasgow/Scotland
- ABSOLUTELY SCARY! Haha, and that blue sky doesn't make things any better. I'd HATE to be in those buildings. They look like they're condemning me to something!

(Creepy) Buildings in Albany/New York
- SCAAAAAAAARYYYYYYYYY! Haha, as I scrolled down, I saw the top of the building and thought it was that building in London, but boom, then came one, two, three, and four of them, added with that strange circular thing that looks like a UFO - and it just looks like a city that aliens that mysteriously placed randomly. I'd HATE to go there also, or live there and see those buildings everyday of my life! DIVERSITY people, DIVERSITY!

Michigan Central Station
- Is haunting! Its like the 1930s have gone and past and now this is all that is left of it. But that being said, if that was in a downtown area, and not a scary secluded zone, it would like quite pretty.

Ryugyong Hotel
- The epitomy of sinister! When I first saw this building years ago, it FREAKED me out! Imagine being in one of those floors! There wouldn't be a single soul in the building, and no electricity! Eeek!

Washington Monument at Night
- Thats hilarioooooooousssssss! It DOES look like a monster with red eyes! How I love this thread!
Valeroso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 02:07 AM   #43
ReddAlert
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

how about Chicagos prison tower?

ReddAlert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 04:56 AM   #44
2000_Watts

Likes (Received): 5

Robert Taylor Homes housing projects in Chicago (almost completely demolished)

Stateway Gardens housing projects in Chicago, also under the process of demolition (if not already gone).

Cabrini Green housing projects in Chicago

2000_Watts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:33 AM   #45
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

The albany one looks like tower 42 in london, exactly like it.

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #46
interpol
antics

Likes (Received): 0

Danvers State Hospital, MA, United States.

Former Psychiatric Hospital, built in the 1870's and finally shut down in the late 1980's, it has remained abandoned ever since. It sits on Hawthorne hill looking over northern Boston. Hawthorne Hill was also the site of the original Salem village where the witch hunt occured.

At it's peak between the two World wars it was crammed with over 4000 patients. The lobotomy was first performed at Danvers State.

I visited nearby Lowell in 1998 visting family friends, and we got into the grounds with my cousins late at night. I didn't sleep at all afterwards, it had the most horrifically haunting and sad vibe. Walking through the grounds you felt watched by the hundreds of dark windows.

interpol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #47
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48
The albany one looks like tower 42 in london, exactly like it.

It does look like T42 when viewed edge on, but it is much wider than London's landmark.

Old August 29th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #48
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 524

Trump Tower while under construction.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 08:16 PM   #49
TEAMSpirit
EVU Blog

just gotta post

1. This is one of the coolest threads I have read in a long time. I read all three pages sitting here scrolling through these creepy buildings.

2. It seems that the Albany alien game pieces are the most talked about... but for me that picture of the Chicago Prison Tower (I think on page three of this thread) WOW THAT IS WAY CREEPY.

3. To the owners of the photos of the Albany Towers: I was wondering if I could use this photo (shrunken up small) for a post in my blog with a link back to this thread...?

Team EVU
www.easy-visa-usa.com
TEAMSpirit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 08:48 PM   #50
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

^You might be able to find some pics on the New York State website which because they're government hosted, they would be public domain.
Old September 1st, 2005, 05:13 AM   #51
TEAMSpirit
EVU Blog

THANK YOU!

Thanks for the tip - I will check out the Government sites shortly.
Hey I just had a look at your website about skyscraper models - very cool - quick question how do you paint the cardboard accurately and draw the lines etc.? (I ask because I have a little bit of experience making terrain for table top games and painting them and basing them etc, but all your lines are deadon straight...)?

Anyway, just thought I would let you know that your site is pretty cool!

Team EVU
www.easy-visa-usa.com
TEAMSpirit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 06:59 AM   #52
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Late Addition

These commie block buildings are located in the permanently evacuated Ukranian city of Pripyat (Pre-pet), located 3km from the Chernobyl plant. I wonder if there are any apartments for rent?

i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #53
arac

Likes (Received): 4156

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
At night the Washington Monument seems to have red eyes like a monster.
creepy
arac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #54
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Mac View Post
My cousin, who attends Simon Fraser University, told me it was intentionally designed to be so ghastly so that people would look at the beautiful views instead of looking at the building. The architects felt if they designed a nice looking building, people would ignore the views. Or at least that's what I was told.
Your cousin was playing a joke on you as he/she probably knew you had little appreciation for this style of architecture.

SFU is stunningly beautiful. I wish there were more buildings like this else where. What a treasure.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #55
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6227

gateway arch to Canterbury Cathedral, UK

the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #56
1878EFC

Likes (Received): 101

A few from Liverpool: The tobacco warehouse, the Great Western Hotel and the Anglican Cathedral.

All off flickr
1878EFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #57
f.e.s.b.r.
... life still goes on ..

Likes (Received): 7

wow..
that was really bad architecture of some of this buildings...
f.e.s.b.r. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #58
ambiente2008

Likes (Received): 5710

Quinta da Regaleira - Sintra - Portugal

image hosted on flickr
ambiente2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #59
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6227

Borley Rectory, built 1863 on the site of a Benedictine Abbey, after which emmediately footsteps would be heard late at night. The most haunted house in Britain (and that's saying something, the UK has reputedly more ghosts per sq. mile than anywhere in the world):

In 1900 four daughters saw the ghost of a nun at twilight, who disappeared after they tried to talk to her. The next four decades reports of a ghostly horse and carriage, along with its headless horseman were reported. In 1927 after a new family moved in a brown package was found in a cupboard, inside which was the skull of a young woman. Shortly after, the family would report a variety of incidents including the sounds of servant bells ringing (on which the strings had been cut), lights appearing in windows and unexplained footsteps. The wife reported seeing a carriage and horses.

the 'summerhouse'

bricked up passages

a 'figure' seen in the graveyard

1935, many incidents took place with another new family moving in, including bell-ringing, windows shattering, stones, bottle-throwing and wall-writing, and their daughter was locked in a room with no key. Marianne Foyster reported to her husband a whole range of poltergeist phenomena which included her being thrown from her bed.[14] On one occasion, Adelaide was attacked by "something horrible". Twice, Foyster tried to conduct an exorcism, but his efforts were fruitless. In the middle of the first, Foyster was struck in the shoulder by a fist-size stone.

After the mysterious fire of 1939

a 'floating' brick

the nun is still seen walking along a stretch of road where the rectory once stood

the churchyard survives:

Last edited by the spliff fairy; November 13th, 2008 at 01:55 AM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #60
Saigoneseguy
Vivat capitalismus

Likes (Received): 106

Well it's just allegedly haunted and simply presented in b&w.