daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area > Liverpool Construction Projects

Liverpool Construction Projects Developments being built on Merseyside

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #141
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 699

Just driven past the Rocket flyover and I have to say it looks fantastic. I'm really impressed with this and hope it sets a precedent for similar makeovers for other ugly structures.

Good job.
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 14th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #142
kat2

Likes (Received): 19

http://www.edgelane.com/uploads/edge5.pdf
http://www.edgelane.com/overview/overview.asp
kat
kat2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #143
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1864

Edge Lane roadworks misery ends . . . for now
Dec 20 2007 by David Bartlett, Liverpool Echo

THE Edge Lane roadworks nightmare was due to end today – at least until the end of Capital of Culture year.

Motorists delayed on the route from the city centre to the M62 were breathing a sigh of relief after 18 months of misery.

The road surface, central reservation, street lights and damaged pavements have all been replaced between the Rocket and the Botanic Road junction.

But the demolition of houses is yet to be complete because of legal wrangles.

A public inquiry over acquiring the homes needed for the expanded road starts next month. If successful phase four would start in 2009.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 09:31 PM   #144
kennyrouge
blank

Likes (Received): 254

kennyrouge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 09:44 PM   #145
Joe the red

Likes (Received): 4

Love that. Cheers Kenny. Nice to have something worthwhile to respond to and not VT and Bunnyman's exchange of pleasantries.
Joe the red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:27 PM   #146
eyeam

Likes (Received): 35

The flyover looks great at night.

They should do the same on the ones in town by the museum.
eyeam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #147
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 370

Cheers for the pics Kenny, my it does look good and agree with eyeam,a splash of colour on the two Byrom Street carbuncles would make them almost acceptable.
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #148
kennyrouge
blank

No problems Woody mate,its a pleasure
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #149
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 1492

The fly-over looks great now. Out of interest, where are the messages projected from, and are they on the motorway side as well?
Chris B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #150
adman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Kenny mate, just caught up with your pics. Really inspired locaton, I'd never have thought of that. Brilliant

Is this by the Rocket?
-------
edit
Sorry, I should have read the previous posts.
adman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:22 AM   #151
kennyrouge
blank

yes Ady mate, by the rocket,i've been driving past the flyover for weeks,to and from work at night but its just been to cold to get out and have a recce,finally took the plunge this week,its a very big area to walk around without getting run over
Chris mate,its on both sides, but i havnt got a clue where its being projected from,it cant be coming from the 08 signs surely,it doesnt seem right

Old December 27th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #152
Ged
If I come back my ISP will be contacted

Brilliant piccies kenny boy..keep it up lad
Ged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #153
The Demon Molyneux
Photograpy Ninja

Is the seasons greetings and 08 still lit up on the flyover?
The Demon Molyneux no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #154
kennyrouge
blank

yes Moly mate,pics took last sunday ,should still be on
cheers Ged,you finished all that turkey yet?
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #155
Ged
If I come back my ISP will be contacted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyrouge View Post
cheers Ged,you finished all that turkey yet?

Cant stand Turkey ken..Eeeeeeeeeee yak

Wheres me Guinness ?..eh up..here we go again.
Ged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #156
carlisle

I'm actually a closet lover of Liverpool's modernist Architecture. I loved the Shiel Park and Everton Park tower blocks... now gone. I love the Byrom Street JMU campus, I love Norwich House (the one on Dale Street that mimicks the Oriel Chambers) I also love the Churchill Way flyovers, though don't get me into an argument over how the new road decimated the integration of the communities alongside it, I know it did and I know it was no price to pay for the flyovers I love so much, but we've got them now... They are due to be demolished and no-one it seems will miss them. But I would love to see them done up to the standard of the Rocket flyovers... they'd provide an excellent gateway (literally!) to the city centre from the north.

As for Edge Lane... secretly I have my fingers crossed that Ms Pascoe continues to be successful throughout our Capital of Culture year. Not because I like her, or properly agree with her cause, she has after all alienated many of the former residents of the area who just want somewhere to live; but because there is no need to demolish the buildings to fit an improved road though, the facade to facade distance is plenty wide enough as it is. As capital of culture is it not criminal that we can't find the money from somewhere to refurbish the existing buildings which are part of our culture instead of following the hard and fast economic argument.

If the plan goes ahead then there won't be an Edge Lane... not as we know it... it'll be replaced with Expressway 62 or whatever and the only way you'll know you're in Liverpool is the purple wheelie bins.

Last edited by carlisle; December 28th, 2007 at 12:19 AM.
carlisle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #157
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle View Post
As for Edge Lane... secretly I have my fingers crossed that Ms Pascoe continues to be successful throughout our Capital of Culture year. Not because I like her, or properly agree with her cause, she has after all alienated many of the former residents of the area who just want somewhere to live; but because there is no need to demolish the buildings to fit an improved road though, the facade to facade distance is plenty wide enough as it is. As capital of culture is it not criminal that we can't find the money from somewhere to refurbish the existing buildings which are part of our culture instead of following the hard and fast economic argument.

If the plan goes ahead then there won't be an Edge Lane... not as we know it... it'll be replaced with Expressway 62 or whatever and the only way you'll know you're in Liverpool is the purple wheelie bins.
Couldn't agree more. The only part of Edge Lane I like is the part LCC wants to demolish to further water down Liverpool's heritage. The rest of Edge Lane could be anywhere at all. Anyway, now that it has been superficially tarted up for CoC, and it's looking good, hopefully people will recognise what we are in danger of losing with no substantial gain whatsoever.
Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #158
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1864

Tycoon offers to clear Liverpoool's £20m culture debt
Jan 5 2008 Exclusive by David Bartlett

A MULTI-MILLIONAIRE land- owner has offered to plug Liverpool’s £20m 2008 shortfall in exchange for land and planning permission to build a retail park.

Derwent Holdings, owned by Isle of Man-based property owner Albert Gubay, wants to redevelop its Edge Lane retail park and other property it owns in the area.

In a letter to council leader Cllr Warren Bradley, which has been obtained by the Liverpool Daily Post, Derwent has offered to buy the adjoining Rathbone Road Recreation Ground for development.

In the letter, one of Mr Gubay’s representatives, Peter Willers, said the offer was “made in good faith to help with the apparent shortage of funds”. Liverpool City Council and Derwent have been in a dispute for a number of years over what form the firm’s plans for the area should take.

The council is currently locked in a legal battle with Mr Gubay over the state of the derelict Rugs 2 Go and Klaussners stores, the ex-Advent car showroom and a huge pile of rubble, which was once the Traveller’s Rest pub.

The council has demanded that he demolish the dilapidated buildings and tidy up the sites while they work out a long-term plan.

A hearing in November was adjourned and is likely to reconvene at a yet-to-be decided date before March.

The Daily Post was last night unable to contact Cllr Bradley or Derwent Holdings for comment.

But city’s regeneration leader Cllr Mike Storey said: “The council and its partners have invested a considerable amount of money to improve the quality of Edge Lane.

“It is disappointing that this particular landowner and developer has sought over a number of months to leave his property holdings in a derelict state. Any negotiations over the regeneration of the Edge Lane retail provision should be done in a proper manner.

“At the same time, (we) will continue to pursue through the due legal process this particular landowner and developer, who has left his buildings in a derelict state.”

The council is still currently waiting to hear if the Government whether it will be allow it to fund the £20m Capital of Culture shortfall from sales of land and buildings.

The letter from Derwent, that was circulated to a number of councillors, stated: “Over the Christmas and New Year recess, we have been giving some thought to our landholdings... in Edge Lane, the Rathbone Recreation Park and the current problems surrounding the 2008 European Capital of Culture.

“We therefore wish to make an offer of £20m to acquire from the council the Rathbone Road Recreation Park, being the land edged red on the attached plan, and will exchange contracts within seven working days of your agreement and thereafter will complete such acquisition within seven working days of outline planning permission being granted.

“We will, following consultation with your planning officer, make a single overall outline planning application on our retail holdings in Edge Lane, including the Rathbone Road Recreation Park at a coverage of 45%.

“Such application will be made within seven days of our exchange of contracts for the acquisition of the Rathbone Road Recreation Park.

“This offer is made in good faith to help with the apparent shortage of funds as set out in the press and to enable Edge Lane to be redeveloped to the satisfaction and benefit of all.

“This will also enable all the other current Edge Lane problems to the satisfaction and benefit of all.”

At the city’s executive board yesterday, leading councillors demanded that Derwent’s “eyesore” sites on Edge Lane be cleared up during the city’s flagship Capital of Culture year.

Cllr Berni Turner said she thought the site was being deliberately allowed to fall into ruin to force the council into a corner. “Quite frankly, I have thought about stopping traffic on Edge Lane with banners to bring this issue to the forefront.”

Cllr Paul Clein said: “I think it is outrageous. It’s a key year for the city. Tens, hundreds of thousands of people will be visiting.”

In the summer, Derwent said its £200m proposals would see:

Edge Lane retail park demolished and replaced with modern shops and leisure facilities, owith most of the current stores moving into the new premises. Offices and a hotel would also be built;

A central boulevard through the rebuilt retail park, with views over the city centre;

The notorious Rugs 2 Go and Klaussner site transformed into housing;

The derelict Advent car showroom demolished and replaced with leisure facilities;

Mill Lane’s former factory site in Mill Lane, off Edge Lane, redeveloped into mall industrial units and homes.

Cllr Paul Brant, opposition regeneration leader, said: “I am deeply concerned that this is an example of the council being pressurised to sell assets because of the financial crisis in funding Capital of Culture.

“We would have not hesitation in calling in the District Auditor if there’s any hint of property being sold off at less than its real value, and we will be watching the Lib Dems like a hawk on this issue.”
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #159
kennyrouge
blank

Anyway,i was driving past the rocket flyover and now know how they project them messages on to the side of the thing...........
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #160
nicksanderson

Likes (Received): 6

"Tycoon offers to clear Liverpoool's £20m culture debt"

Despite the council's usual incompetance, I feel sorry for them in this case - this appears to be a case of blackmail - sell me the park so that I can concrete it over and I'll clear the debt of CoC by the way we're not going to do anything about the mess that we've let our other buildings get into unless you do!

This letting buildings get into a state so that they "no worth saving" is something that makes me so mad - it happens all of the time. Recent examples that I can think of are the King Edward pub and one of the lovely big houses in Birkenhead Park - some developers make me so furious. Maybe when a site is unused the Name, Address, Photograph and Telephone number of the owner should be displayed in huge letters to shame them into not doing these disgraceful things!
nicksanderson no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: