daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old October 18th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #21
scouserdave
BANNED

Location: Liverpool 6, Halewood, Cantril Farm, Luton ferfuxake!
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpolitan
I visited the City of Culture shop when I was up there last week, and what a depressing affair that is! For a start, the premises are unsuitable, it's got an off-putting shop-front that is more suited to some kind of expensive jeweller. Then, inside, you just face rows of cheap over-priced CoC tat - pure rubbish with that crap logo on it. There are the ubiquitous flat screens, but they were switched off when I was in there. Probably just as well. But what is the point of it? They should have premises that are welcoming, and with people in it (there were two scowling receptionist types staffing a desk/till thing), and information about culture and what is planned! They should have computers where you can read the bid document and the plans for events. Total waste of money, and really off-putting. The irony is that one of the main reasons Liverpool won was that it promised a genuinely engaging programme that drew on and benefitted all the city.
How can anyone take this chimp seriously?
scouserdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 18th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #22
General Zod
General Zod

I wasn't too impressed by the shop either. Perhaps it will improve before 2008. It was full of all of the typical tat. Liverpool, Everton, Beatles, lamb banana souvineers and waterfront pictures. Everything the tourist/outsiders expect. Liverpool has a lot more to offer on the culture front and they should be visibly driving this to show we have plenty more to offer than footy, beatles and liver birds. People already know about that. Hopefully the flat screen monitors will include this in the future.

I think the location isn't particularly clever too. It should be near Lime Street station where outsiders are coming in, not poked into an obscure area of the city near a shopping mall.

Has anyone bought a lambanana statue, beatles lunch box or a retro 80's Everton shirt ?

www.generalzod.net/
General Zod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #23
liverpolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouserdave
How can anyone take this chimp seriously?
Will you stop trolling for a reaction all the time? Now and then, fine, but it's a become a regular thing with you.
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #24
liverpolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod
Has anyone bought a lambanana statue, beatles lunch box or a retro 80's Everton shirt ?
I've got a "three graces" fridge magnet, but it's too heavy or the magnet too weak, and it falls off all the time.
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #25
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 302

People like tack.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #26
General Zod
General Zod

Indeed. I know people who feel the need to bring back tat from every country or town they visit. It just ends up in the loft. The memories and photographs should suffice.

www.generalzod.net/
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #27
Accura4Matalan

I buy tack from everywhere I go. Then I put it on a huge bookshelf in my room
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #28
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Location: Beside the lake, Beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing, In the Breeze
Likes (Received): 1

It depends on the degree of tat IMO. I have a framed picture of the Liverpool waterfront at night from the Albert Dock which IMO was well worth buying and is a very nice picture. My Dad has a Liverpool mug with a black and white drawing of the skyline- looks good to me. I don't see any harm in self-promotion of this sort. And at the end of the day, if people are willing to pay for it then why shouldn't somebody try to make a living from it?

Having said that, I do draw the line at teddy/doyley/fluffy shite. I'm not sure where this shop is that you're all talking about. I went into the Tourist info place at the back of St Johns a few months ago (-the one near the bus hub)- the lad I spoke to was enthusiastic and helpful. This is pretty important- when I come across a lazy assistant who doesn't want to help me I fell like pushing one of their stands over or sweeping a load of their tat off of the shelves. A'hem...
Blabbernsmoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #29
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Location: Beside the lake, Beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing, In the Breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura_Preston
I buy tack from everywhere I go. Then I put it on a huge bookshelf in my room
I didn' think you were very well read.
Old October 18th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #30
Accura4Matalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabbernsmoke
I didn' think you were very well read.
I was in the top class for English (Lang AND Lit) in school!
Old October 18th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #31
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Quote:
I didn't think Preston's schools were up to much
Old October 18th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #32
General Zod
General Zod

What are the tat souvineers like in Preston then ?

www.generalzod.net/
Old October 18th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #33
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod
What are the tat souvineers like in Preston then ?
Ooh, you can get all sorts dear Zod! Specialties include

Pie fridge magnets
Framed pictures of pies
Dried pies
Half-eaten pies
Pie badges
Pies
And models of their most famous land mark of all- the 60s bus shelter/car park.
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #34
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 14

Arrow Masterpiece of famous skyline to mark Capital of Culture Year

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0...name_page.html

Masterpiece of famous skyline to mark Capital of Culture Year Oct 19 2005

By Jessica Shaughnessy Daily Post Staff

IT WILL take years to complete and be based on thousands of miniature drawings and it will span 170 acres of Liverpool.

The most detailed ever painting of the city's skyline, which will be 128 sq ft, has just been started by internationally renowned artist Ben Johnson.

Commissioned by National Museums Liverpool, the ambitious project will be finished to mark the city's Capital of Culture Year in 2008.

Llandudno-born Mr Johnson is famous for his cityscapes that are so detailed and precise that at first glance it could be a photograph - until you look closely and see there are no people or vehicles, making the city look eerily calm and still.

Mr Johnson was in Liverpool yesterday, sketching the city at different vantage points in preparation for his work.

He said: "The size of the painting will be 8ft by 16ft. The painting will be the most ambitious of my panoramas.

"It will be in fact, a collection of many thousands of miniatures, where as much detail is paid to the simplest of warehouses as to the most important ecclesiastical building."

He continued: "Following six weeks of investigations into views and studies of buildings, the importance of the River Mersey, the Three Graces and the two cathedrals became obvious."

And these are the landmarks Mr Johnson has decided to feature in his work.

The left hand boundary of the picture will include Chapel Street and Tithebarn Street, reaching back to Everton; the right hand extreme will take in the Albert Dock up to the Anglican Cathedral.

Mr Johnson, 59, who studied at the Royal College of Art, has already produced famous cityscapes of Hong Kong, Zurich and Jerusalem.

He captures every minute detail of his subjects by taking hundreds of photographs, considering alternative viewpoints and absorbing the atmosphere of the city.

Then detailed drawings are produced, often numbered in their thousands.

A near bird's-eye perspective is then established using computer and physical models to act as a template for making the drawing.

In turn the drawing process helps produce the intricate stencils used to transfer the painting to canvas. They take years of painstaking work.

The Liverpool cityscape will be the first time the artist has worked directly with a public gallery to produce a commission on this scale.

It is planned that the final work on the painting will take place in the Walker Art Gallery in front of a live audience in early 2008 where it will be on display for the rest of the year, before taking up its permanent home in the Museum of Liverpool.

Cllr Mike Storey, leader of Liverpool City Council, said: ''Liverpool's waterfront is one of the most recognisable and famous in the world, ranking alongside Manhattan and Sydney and the architecture that spreads up to our cathedrals is stunning.

"It's fitting that the museum has commissioned such a renowned artist to capture the immensity of our World Heritage city in such detail for European Capital of Culture year.

"Liverpool in the 21st century is worthy of a modern masterpiece."

The project has been co-commissioned with the Liverpool Culture Company and Professor Phil Redmond and his wife Alexis Redmond.

Professor Drummond Bone, chairman of the Liverpool Culture Company said: "Having seen the work of Ben Johnson, Liverpool has an artist who will evoke its beauty and majesty on a truly historic scale.

"I'm sure this portrait will be a big attraction and crowd-pleaser in 2008 and will inspire people for many generations to come.\"

jessicashaughnessy@dailypost.co.uk
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #35
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 174

Talking Hay Accy boy, I wus top aswel

Quote:
Klevar lital boy, sow did i !!
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #36
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Talking Buy a good fridge................

Quote:
I've got a "three graces" fridge magnet, but it's too heavy or the magnet too weak, and it falls off all the time.
I also have three graces fridge magnet ( +8 others ) and todate none have fallen off, you might have a cheap fridge poly
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #37
liverpolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
I also have three graces fridge magnet ( +8 others ) and todate none have fallen off, you might have a cheap fridge poly

Is it the same as this one? I've put it back up, but if I try to use it to hold up paper or anything, it'll fall off again. The fridge is not a SMEG or anything fancy, but it's made of metal I think.
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #38
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Quote:

Is it the same as this one? I've put it back up, but if I try to use it to hold up paper or anything, it'll fall off again. The fridge is not a SMEG or anything fancy, but it's made of metal I think.
Ha, that's the best fridge magnet I've ever seen. I'll have to look out for one. The tourists should be chuffed with those.
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #39
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Thumbs up Thats the little beauty............

Quote:

Thats the one I have, it has slipped a couple times when I have slammed the door, usually when I discover the fridge is empty, that is no beer
Old October 23rd, 2005, 05:27 AM   #40
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 14

Arrow Revealed: £95m plan for Capital of Culture .....

http://www.businessliverpool.co.uk/n...p?recordid=125
(Not sure if this has been posted previously - apologies if it`s a duplicate post.)

Revealed: £95m plan for Capital of Culture .....

Sam Lister Daily Post

LIVERPOOL is to spend almost £100m delivering ”the best-ever European Capital of Culture”.

Liverpool City Council is stumping up £53m - just over half of costs - with government,, European and other grants bringing in another £33m. The remaining £10m will come from commercial sponsors.

The Liverpool Culture Company in charge of running the celebrations, has already secured 90% of the cash which it claim puts it in prime position to become the most successful culture winner yet.

Chief operating officer Jason Harborow said: ”To be 2 1/2 years away from 2008, and to be able to say you are nine-tenths of the way there in funding your plans, is an unbelievable advantage that no other city which has been granted this accolade has ever had.”

The business plan for Liverpool's reign in 2008 sets out how much cash will go to artistic events, cultural buildings, community projects and marketing the city to the world.

Mr Harborow added: ”The plan is worth its weight in gold because it shows the city has the vision, confidence and ability to deliver our 800th birthday celebrations, and 2008, in style.”

The largest part of the budget, just under £35m, has been set aside for arts projects.

The 2008 schedule is being drawn up by artistic director Robyn Archer and will include local and international commissions and unique events.

It will also build upon the city's existing festivals, such as Mathew Street and Africa Oye.

Around £26m will go on building new venues and improving existing ones such as the Sugar Silo, which would host some of the largest events.

A further £12m will be used to market the city nationally and internationally between now and 2009 to make it a ”world-class city".
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
arts, culture, museums, theatre, theatres