daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old April 27th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #101
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Likes (Received): 0

erm... above post... not much based in Liverpool then... merseywaterfront perhaps?!
Liverpool8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 28th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #102
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Sorry Pie but that post is a perfect example of the wankery of 'engerlundsnooerthwest'... what does it mean?

Does Liverpool cultural sector take up 5 or 20% of our economy? What is Manchester's? can it really be safe to average out these stats as the cultural industries make up virtually the same in Barrow as in Chester?... who the fuck knows?

We should put a ban on anything with a 'northwest' average or indices... it is a waste of your time reading them!
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #103
liverpolitan

Agree with that, unfortunately, given the way money flows down the system, eg through the Arts Council's regional office in Manchester, and through the NWDA, there are too many funders who simply require "northwesternification". I think the Arts Council was committed to funding the evaluation, so it's a shame if its manky "north west" office have bastardised the thing into a north west study. Typical.

That said, the evaluation sounds good, you can never have too much evaluation. Weird as it sounds, a good evaluation will be one of the legacies of 2008, as it will be an opportunity for Liverpool to boast on the global arts-led regeneration circuit about how clever it was (even if it wasn't). The good thing about these kinds of studies is that they tend to accentuate the positive, the failures are sometimes softened into "lessons that were learned" and "areas were expectations and delivery were not fully aligned".
liverpolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #104
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 14

I think you actually missed my last line(s) Tony.....

Culture Culture and Cash .....£££££

and a lot of it starts with an 0161....

I just wondered is `Manchester` is trying to also cash in on the control of `Northwest` Tourism.....

Juding by the links it would be hard to say they weren`t.....

Far from being a waste of time it`s quite an eye opener given Liverpools existing `Tourism` gain and it`s future potential - even if Liverpool is set to also cash in on it`s heritage in yet more ways.

Trans atlantic and ever more globally.

If it wasn`t we wouldn`t have talked on the forum so much about `Global` branding.

`Northwest` global branding doesn`t exist - `Liverpool` global branding does.
http://www.wirralwaters.com/
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
http://visitliverpool.com/
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #105
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietari
The Cultural sector as a whole accounts for 12% of Gross Value Added in the Northwest... twice that of financial and business services

Arts, Creative Industries, Heritage, Libraries,Tourism, Sport and Recreation form the Northwest's Cultural economy. Together they employ 12% of the region's workforce and contribute £15 billion to the region's economy.

Culture Northwest is a thinking, networking and advocacy organisation, responsible for the Regional Cultural Strategy.

We are the catalyst for the region's cultural sector, driving new ideas and policy, championing fresh partnerships and celebrating the exceptional.

http://www.englandsnorthwest-culture...tact_links.asp

Contact Us
Culture Northwest
Giants Basin
Potato Wharf
Castlefield
Manchester
M3 4NB

t. 0161 817 7421
e. culture.northwest@nwda.co.uk

This is a contact list for all our Stakeholders and key partners. For a comprehensive guide to cultural links please visit www.englandsnorthwest.com

All contacts and links are displayed alphabetically below. For contacts related to specific sectors you can use the search facility on the side of the page.

If your contact details are not up to date please contact us here

------------------------------------------------------------
Arts and Business

Arts & Business is the world’s most successful & widespread creative network. Helping business people support the arts & the arts inspire business people, because good business & great art together create a richer society.

www.aandb.org.uk

Arts Council England North West

The regional office of the Arts Council of England.

0161 834 6644

www.artscouncil.org.uk

Catalyst Conference

The major 3-day European conference on cultural entitlement being held in Liverpool and Manchester on 15-17 September 2005

www.catalystconference.co.uk

Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment

Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE) is the champion for architecture in England, promoting high standards and inspiring people to demand more from their buildings and spaces. CABE use their skills and resources to work for a higher quality of life for people and communities across England, making the case for change, gathering hard evidence, providing education opportunities and through direct help on individual programmes and projects.

www.cabe.org.uk

Culture North East

The regional cultural consortium for the North East

www.culturenortheast.org

Culture South West

The regional cultural consortium for the South West of England

www.culturesouthwest.org.uk

English Heritage North West Region

English Heritage's role is to ensure that the historic environment of England is properly maintained and cared for

0161 242 1400

www.english-heritage.org.uk

Government Office North West

Government Office North West (GONW) represents Central Government in the region; it also feeds back the region's views to Whitehall. GONW's aim is to work with regional partners and local people to increase the prosperity of the region, promote sustainable development and tackle social exclusion.

0161 952 4000

www.go-nw.gov.uk

Heritage Lottery Fund

The Heritage Lottery Fund uses money from the National Lottery. Giving grants to support a wide range of projects involving the local, regional and national heritage of the United Kingdom

0161 831 0861

www.hlf.org.uk

Libraries North West

Libraries North West brings together all groups within the library domain in the North West. To provide a strategic lead through the formulation of plans, policies, representations and expressions of view

01244 220362

www.lnw.org.uk

[ Contacts 1 to 10 of 26 ] more >>

Culture Culture and Cash .....£££££

and a lot of it starts with an 0161....
Wow, how many '0161' phone numbers does that post contain. And some people seem to be genuinely flabergasted as to why others percieve anything 'North West' as almost always 'Manc-centric'.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #106
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Apologies dear Pie... I did indeed miss your last line!
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #107
Pietari
Just something

Indeed Gareth, my overall point but the bottom line is the wealth generation.

However we are not with out some(ish) independant (?) muscle.....

http://www.merseyside.org.uk/displaypage.asp?page=34

Tourism Business Networks
The Tourism Business Networks brings together tourism networks in Liverpool, Halton, Knowsley, Sefton, St Helens and Wirral to develop tourism excellence across the region.

The initiative is facilitated by The Mersey Partnership Tourism Development Team and is part supported by Merseyside's Objective One programme.

Tourism Industry Website

Our new Tourism Industry website - Merseyside Online Support for Tourism www.merseyside.org.uk/most is now live. If you require any further details please contact Sarah Hague on 0151 237 3964 or at sarah.hague@merseyside.org.uk

Tourism Scene Newsletter

For Tourism news and views for businesses across Merseyside Tourism Scene provides a wealth of information. Download the latest version (pdf file) here

Student Information

If you would like more information about tourism in Merseyside, please see our student webguide www.merseywise.com

http://www.merseyside.org.uk/displaypage.asp?page=81
The Mersey Partnership Annual Tourism Awards Ceremony takes place on Friday 19th May at St George's Hall, Liverpool.

This year the event is being hosted by Les Dennis and supported by Roger Phillips.

The keenly contested award categories are:

Tourist Website of the Year - sponsored by New Mind
Best Performing Venue - sponsored by Radio Merseyside
Best Small Tourism Business of the Year - sponsored by GME
Business Tourism Award of the Year (was conference venue)
Tourism for All - sponsored by NWDA
Best Apprentice in Hospitality & Tourism Training - sponsored by LSC
Best Bar of the Year
Taste of Merseyside (was restaurant of the year) - sponsored by live'smart
Small Visitor Attraction of the Year (under 100k visitors)
Best Small Event of the Year (under 50k visitors) - sponsored by Finch
Bed & Breakfast of the Year - sponsored by Liverpool Empire
Small Hotel of the Year (under 50 beds) - sponsored by Eviivo
Large Visitor Attraction of the Year (100k+ visitors) - sponsored by Liverpool Echo
Best Tourism Experience of the Year (was large event, 50k+ visitors) - sponsored by Merseytravel
Large Hotel of the Year (over 35 beds) - sponsored by Liverpool John Lennon Airport
Outstanding Customer Service (Southport, St Helens, Wirral, & Liverpool)* - sponsored by The Liverpool Culture Company
All categories are now closed for nomination.

The event will adopt the Culture Company's 'Liverpool Performs' theme and an array of varied entertainment will be showcased throughout the evening. From South Asian bands to local Beatles tribute bands - it will certainly be an evening to remember!

500 guests will attend the four-course gala dinner in the magnificent surroundings of St George's Hall. During the evening the winners will be announced and will each receive a unique glass award designed and created by World of Glass, St Helens.

The Annual Tourism Awards have been running for more than 10 years. In the build up to 2008, when Liverpool will become the European Capital of Culture, the profile of the event is set to increase, to reflect the importance of Merseyside as a Tourist destination.

Each year the Awards event is a sell out success with strong local and regional media coverage, providing exposure for the industry as a whole and especially the award winners. The event gives the region an opportunity to showcase its tourism assets and celebrate excellence in one of its fastest growing economic sectors.

Sponsorship Opportunities

To raise your profile before, during and after the event please contact Lisa Tolley, Events Manager at The Mersey Partnership on 0151 237 3950 or email lisa.tolley@merseyside.org.uk

Tickets - on sale now!

If you would like to purchase tickets for the Tourism Awards please email Lauren O'Neill at tourismawards@merseyside.org.uk. You can download your ticket booking form here

Friday 19th May 2006, 7.00pm for 7.30pm
St George's Hall, Liverpool. Black Tie.

Individual Ticket (Members Rate) £70.00 + VAT (£82.25)
Individual Ticket (Non Members Rate) £80.00 + VAT (£94.00)
Table of 10 (Members Rate) £700.00 + VAT (£822.50)
Table of 10 (Non Members Rate) £800.00 + VAT (£940.00)
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #108
Pietari
Just something

Lightbulb Money, Money, Money ..... Economic Development, Investment, Tourism

http://www.merseyside.org.uk/displaypage.asp?page=7

Our Members

Member Survey | Conference Membership | Tourism Membership | Corporate Membership | List of Members | Sponsorship Opportunities | Membership Enquiry Form | Member Search | Membership Fees

Welcome to The Mersey Partnership Members pages which have been designed to help profile existing members and to guide others in how they can benefit and play their part in promoting Merseyside as a great place to live, work, invest and visit.

The Mersey Partnership is recognised as one of the foremost examples of the private and public sector working. With over 400 members, the region's major organisations and many of its most forward thinking enterprises are committed supporters working with us to win more business for Merseyside. Members, large and small, play an important and significant role in supporting and developing our activities in our three core areas of:

Economic Development
Investment
Tourism

Participation in our membership programme provides your business with exclusive access to a wide range of benefits & opportunities in exchange for payment of an annual membership subscription. Membership is divided into three categories - Corporate, Tourism and Conference - each with a different set of benefits and joining fees.

Please either complete the online enquiry form or contact Carolyn Houghton, Membership Manager on 0151 237 3927 or email membership@merseyside.org.uk for more information.

We look forward to welcoming you into membership of The Mersey Partnership.
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #109
Kenrick

Likes (Received): 17

I was at my local north london tube this morning - Archway - and I saw one of those big ads for Capital of Culture - it was the Anthony Gormley statues on the beach. The poster was stunning. Hopefully it will have the desired affect, there was one at Euston northern line tube as well.
Kenrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #110
liverpolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenrick
I was at my local north london tube this morning - Archway - and I saw one of those big ads for Capital of Culture - it was the Anthony Gormley statues on the beach. The poster was stunning. Hopefully it will have the desired affect, there was one at Euston northern line tube as well.
That's good to hear, Kenrick, I've not seen any ads for it yet. Welcome to the Forum, by the way.
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #111
Kenrick

Likes (Received): 17

Thank you.

Anyway, this will be my mission on this forum, to spot CofC posters at tube stations
Kenrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #112
liverpolitan

Great, there are now almost a handful of us "southern" residents posting - Fitzroy is in London also, I work in London, Awayo lives in a youth hostel in Guildford, scouserdave lives in Luton.
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #113
Toadboy

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Awayo lives in a youth hostel in Guildford
That's a culture in itself, it's like our very own fly on the wall.
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #114
John-MK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpolitan
scouserdave lives in Luton.
The poor bastard! I can now see why is like that.
John-MK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #115
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadboy
That's a culture in itself, it's like our very own fly on the wall.
There's stories I could tell you, lads.

No, it's quite boring really. Various characters keep trying to convert me to fundamentalist Christianity.

One of the members of staff keeps on sitting next to me when I'm at breakfast and asking how I am. I think he's my case worker.

New flat, May 11. They've promised me this time.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #116
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpolitan
Great, there are now almost a handful of us "southern" residents posting - Fitzroy is in London also, I work in London, Awayo lives in a youth hostel in Guildford, scouserdave lives in Luton.
My mission is to locate one of those pubs in and around London that now stocks Cains Lager. I'll take a photo on my camera and post it once I've gotten hold of a pint.

Old April 28th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #117
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

The fat lass from down under with the big pair of lungs has finally arrived.

clicky clicky
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #118
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Location: Beside the lake, Beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing, In the Breeze
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo
My mission is to locate one of those pubs in and around London that now stocks Cains Lager. I'll take a photo on my camera and post it once I've gotten hold of a pint.

I was thinking about this yesterday funny enough. I wonder how Cains is going down in London?

Do let us know what you find old boy
Blabbernsmoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #119
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

There's a list on Cains' website that lists them all.

There are mostly in rather upscale bits of west central and west London that where I don't usually find myself when I'm in London.

However, the Royal George on Charing Cross Road (that rare thing, a popular west end pub near Leicester Square that isn't horrendously awful) is easy for me to get to and near where I usually check out for shopping when I'm in London (the bookshops, Fopp in Seven Dials).

There's a Cains Finest lager with my name on it, probably this weekend.

Ooh, the list shows this pub, Blabs: Adelphi, 3-5 Hunslet Road, LEEDS LS10.

Snap to it!
Old April 28th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #120
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Location: Beside the lake, Beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing, In the Breeze
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo
There's a Cains Finest lager with my name on it, probably this weekend.

Ooh, the list shows this pub, Blabs: Adelphi, 3-5 Hunslet Road, LEEDS LS10.

Snap to it!
A-haa! I wondered whether there would be any in Leeds. So I take it that list only applies to the lager? I'm more of a bitter man myself (-as you can probably tell from my posts I wish they would start distributing their cask stuff more. The bitter in particular is excellent and I'm sure would go down well over here in Yorkshire.

I'm perusing my Good Beer guide and I can't find this 'Adelphi' pub, which makes me suspicious. But then again, they don't mention all good pubs. I think I know where it is. I will go there today and post up later!!!

Blabbernsmoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
arts, culture, museums, theatre, theatres