daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old April 28th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #121
Awayo
Man of Peas

Likes (Received): 567

Yeah, the Good Beer Guide is very selective and only lists pubs that the local CAMRA group has voted should be included, the selection criteria being based on the quality of their cask beer more than anything else.

This can sometimes result in some minging pubs that have a good cellarman getting in and a lot of good pubs, who most of the time serve good beer being excluded.

As you know Blabs (I'm a CAMRA member, like you) some CAMRA types can be a bit precious and can take umbrage over fairlyminor issues. I remember many years ago, when scumbag Whitbread bought Higsons and closed it down, whilst continuing to sell a counterfeit Higgies brewed in Sheffield.

CAMRA organised their usual admirable and rigorous campaign against the brewery closure and quite correctly formed a low opinion of shithead Whitbread passing off a Yorkshire-brewed beer as the famous Liverpool brew.

However, the local branch decided to act upon their feelings by excluding every single former Higson's pub in Liverpool from the next few year's Good Beer Guide, no matter how well kept their beers were. As most of Liverpool's historical old boozers were Higson's houses (Higgie's being the local brew) this resulted in the Liverpool section of the GBG being bloody useless and missing many of the city's best pubs.

Still, all this led to Cain's being started in the old Higsons plant abandoned by Whitbread so all's well.

Good look with your important mission, Blabs.

Last edited by Awayo; April 28th, 2006 at 04:20 PM.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 28th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #122
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Location: Beside the lake, Beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing, In the Breeze
Likes (Received): 1

Cheers Awayo. And thanks for the info re: Higsons.

Liverpool is well represented now. I spent most of this week in Newcastle and only five of its pubs are mentioned. Liverpool has several pages worth in my 2004 ed.

I just looked up the Adelphi. As it happens, I walked past there the other week when I was going to photograph Brewery Wharf. I remember wondering whether they'd taken the name from Liverpool's hotel, but didn't bother stopping as it looked a bit dirty and had net curtains, which is so often a sign that horrors lurk within. Apparently it is a classic victorian pub. Hopefully I won't get jumped for taking pics of the pumps- the landlord might think I'm shooting his daughter's tits.

I've not been to many CAMRA meet ups of late, but intend to get back into it during the summer.
Blabbernsmoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 12:58 AM   #123
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Location: Beside the lake, Beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing, In the Breeze

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/rob*******1/DSCF1958.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/rob*******1/DSCF1950.jpg[/IMG]

Awayo!

De Cains is there! I had three bottles. As I say, I ain't a lager man really, but that was lovely stuff. You can taste the malt and hops and it's very smooth. A world away from any other British lager (i.e. gassy, sweaty feet, piss water)- it's becuase they brew the Cains stuff for 3 months, as opposed to a few days, as per Fosters, et al.

The bottle seems to be well marketed. It has a GQ booklet attached with some facts on, and about the lager being voted as the best thing ever (or some shit) in GQ magazine.

The pub was excellent by the way- The Adelphi. A bit on the pricey side as it is in the city living quarter. But very good atmosphere; lots of gay clientele it seemed. A good vicotrian pub with lots o good beers. It's a shame they don't have Cains on tap- the land lady says theyve had it for 2 weeks and it has been popular with people who try it- but not many people know about it just yet.
Old April 29th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #124
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Is being a piss artist qualification enough for our year as capital of culture then?

I knew that they have cast the net widely in their definitions of culture, but hadn't guessed just how wide!

That fellow who owns Caines didn't email me back.
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #125
Doug Roberts

Likes (Received): 52

Kenrick, welcome to SSC, as well as checking on the posters around London it would be very interesting to know if people pass any comment about them, stop and stare at them, put graffiti on them, anything to show they are making an impact.

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. Yoda
Doug Roberts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #126
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sebo
Is being a piss artist qualification enough for our year as capital of culture then?

I knew that they have cast the net widely in their definitions of culture, but hadn't guessed just how wide!

That fellow who owns Caines didn't email me back.
Err... Well I can start a new thread if food and drink don't satisfy your definition of culture. I think the city should be proud to produce a high quality product like this, and I don't think culture means purely: art and music. Fact is, anybody who knows about beer knows that this country has been waiting for a long, long time for a decent home-made lager. It just so happens that the brewery that finally got off it's arse and challenged the rubbish we usually get are a famous Liverpool brewery. That can only be a good thing- they've also gone out of thier way to advertise Liverpool in the marketing and on the label- also advertising Capital of Culture on the neck of the bottle.

Old April 29th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #127
Awayo
Man of Peas

Likes (Received): 567

Good work Blabs. I'm off into London thisavvy to meet a mate for a few beers. I've told him to meet me in one of the Cains-stocking pubs in the capital.

It'll take a little while to post the pic, but I'll get it on the forum eventually

You're right that Liverpool's historic brewery and its beer are undoubtably part of the city's culture. The fact that Cain's paid a million quid into the Capital of Culture coffers and promote the ECoC on every single bottle they sell and all of the adverts, which have appeared in The Guardian newspaper and on London buses is another reason why this is far from being the wrong thread for this. Although we don't want it to be filled with nothing but beer discussion, of course!

Good article on Cains in this month's "What's Brewing", btw. Next fiendish plan: a stout.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #128
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabbernsmoke
Err... Well I can start a new thread if food and drink don't satisfy your definition of culture. I think the city should be proud to produce a high quality product like this, and I don't think culture means purely: art and music. Fact is, anybody who knows about beer knows that this country has been waiting for a long, long time for a decent home-made lager. It just so happens that the brewery that finally got off it's arse and challenged the rubbish we usually get are a famous Liverpool brewery. That can only be a good thing- they've also gone out of thier way to advertise Liverpool in the marketing and on the label- also advertising Capital of Culture on the neck of the bottle.

Oops.... it was a joke!
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #129
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 14

Liverpool `Cains` Larger .....

Quote:
[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/rob*******1/DSCF1958.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/rob*******1/DSCF1950.jpg[/IMG]

Awayo!

De Cains is there! I had three bottles. As I say, I ain't a lager man really, but that was lovely stuff. You can taste the malt and hops and it's very smooth. A world away from any other British lager (i.e. gassy, sweaty feet, piss water)- it's becuase they brew the Cains stuff for 3 months, as opposed to a few days, as per Fosters, et al.

The bottle seems to be well marketed. It has a GQ booklet attached with some facts on, and about the lager being voted as the best thing ever (or some shit) in GQ magazine.

The pub was excellent by the way- The Adelphi. A bit on the pricey side as it is in the city living quarter. But very good atmosphere; lots of gay clientele it seemed. A good vicotrian pub with lots o good beers. It's a shame they don't have Cains on tap- the land lady says theyve had it for 2 weeks and it has been popular with people who try it- but not many people know about it just yet.
Just love that blackboard, Liverpool Larger, Thailand and Pacifico!!!!

I always knew Liverpool had an exotic side.....

and it is a good larger to boot.....although I have only so far drunk it in Dr Duncans.
http://www.wirralwaters.com/
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
http://visitliverpool.com/
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #130
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Likes (Received): 0

Some of the bars around the Albert Dock don't serve Cains! At the Blue Bar, the barmaid hadn't even heard of it!
Liverpool8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #131
Pietari
Just something

Tweet Tweet gis a Liverpool Larger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool8
Some of the bars around the Albert Dock don't serve Cains! At the Blue Bar, the barmaid hadn't even heard of it!
Trouble is L8 you just can`t get the staff. Maybe it isn`t posh enough for them.

Now I know this is old news but I liked the way it was presented so here it is .....

`New Liver Bird`

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre.../24/emin.shtml

"Internationally renowned artist Tracey Emin today unveiled her first ever piece of public art.

Tracey's sculpture Roman Standard, commissioned by the BBC as part of the art05 festival and Liverpool's year as European Capital of Culture in 2008, is a tribute to the legendary Liver Bird."

etc.....

The location for the piece was chosen by Tracey who was attracted by the neo-Roman feel of the city's architecture and the Victorian romanticism conjured up by the site.

etc....

Julian Treuherz, Keeper of Art Galleries for National Museums Liverpool, says: "Tracey's sculpture will bring a new dimension to an area of Liverpool already rich in great historic buildings and historical associations.

"I am really pleased that we have been able to help Tracey realise this imaginative and intriguing work of art."
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
Old April 30th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #132
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietari
Trouble is L8 you just can`t get the staff. Maybe it isn`t posh enough for them.

Now I know this is old news but I liked the way it was presented so here it is .....

`New Liver Bird`

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre.../24/emin.shtml

"Internationally renowned artist Tracey Emin today unveiled her first ever piece of public art.

Tracey's sculpture Roman Standard, commissioned by the BBC as part of the art05 festival and Liverpool's year as European Capital of Culture in 2008, is a tribute to the legendary Liver Bird."

etc.....

The location for the piece was chosen by Tracey who was attracted by the neo-Roman feel of the city's architecture and the Victorian romanticism conjured up by the site.

etc....

Julian Treuherz, Keeper of Art Galleries for National Museums Liverpool, says: "Tracey's sculpture will bring a new dimension to an area of Liverpool already rich in great historic buildings and historical associations.

"I am really pleased that we have been able to help Tracey realise this imaginative and intriguing work of art."
Pie, have you seen her 'sculpture'? It looks like a sparrow on a pole. Very literal. Both the sparrow and the pole are well rusted. Trace said that she thought it captured fragility, and hope. Oh, and the 'resilience' of small things that fly, too. She's promised a 'follow-up'. Can't wait. Brit art - don't you love it?
Liverpool8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:45 PM   #133
Pietari
Just something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool8
Pie, have you seen her 'sculpture'? It looks like a sparrow on a pole. Very literal. Both the sparrow and the pole are well rusted. Trace said that she thought it captured fragility, and hope. Oh, and the 'resilience' of small things that fly, too. She's promised a 'follow-up'. Can't wait. Brit art - don't you love it?
L8,

I did see it not too long after it was first installed - at the time I thought it was a bit of a waste of space (so tiny) but now I like the concept and it is a pity it is not being maintained.

The Liverpool environment is very harsh on sculptures etc - just look at the new chinese arch - already `flaky`.....
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:08 PM   #134
Pietari
Just something

Arrow Cult writer signs up for city festival .....

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0...name_page.html

Cult writer signs up for city festival May 2 2006

By Catherine Jones Culture Reporter, Liverpool Echo

CULT author Philip Pullman is to head the bill at a new literary festival to celebrate Capital of Culture year.

The writer of His Dark Materials is the first big name to be signed up to the Liverpool University event.

The festival is expected to take place over several days in November 2008 and will include local and national names taking part in readings, discussions and debates.

Dinah Birch, head of the university's School of English, says it is the first time in many years if ever that the department has held anything similar.

The festival, likely to be titled Shipping Lines in homage to Liverpool's history as one of the world's greatest ports, is one of a number of ideas the department has to mark Capital of Culture year.

But Prof Birch has emphasised it is still in the early stages of development and the final programme will be dictated by funding available.

She said: "November may seem late in Culture year, but it will be good to spread events out a little.

"We're planning a diverse programme because we want to celebrate the diversity of Liverpool's identity. We'll be looking at specific local voices but also facing outwards in the way the city has always done.

"When you think of Liverpool as an English city, what is it that gives it it's very individual, specific feeling, and it's that more than anything, a sense not of being on the edge of things, but of looking to other cultures and values."

Shipping Lines will be in addition to Liverpool ' s acclaimed independent Writing on the Wall festival which takes place annually in April.

Most of the programme will be based at the university itself, but organisers are looking at whether some events can take place in other city venues.

Prof Birch added: "We want the festival to be a way in which people who aren't professional literary types can encounter different kinds of writers. "Philip Pullman's writing has been enormously popular but it's also profoundly academic and engages with the great literary traditions of Milton and Blake."

ECHO Essentials .

Philip Pullman was born in Norwich in 1946, and educated in England, Zimbabwe and Australia, before his family settled in North Wales.

* His first children's book was Count Karlstein (1982), followed by The Ruby in the Smoke (1986), the first in a quartet of books featuring the young Victorian adventurer, Sally Lockhart.

* He is most famous for the trilogy His Dark Materials, which has won many awards including the Whitbread prize - the first time it has ever been awarded to a children's book. . The first of the trilogy, Northern Lights - known as The Golden Compass in America, is being made into a film which is due for release in 2007.
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #135
Pietari
Just something

Arrow A Liverpool welcome for 2012 Olympics .....

A Liverpool welcome for 2012 Olympics May 5 2006

By Sam Lister Daily Post Staff

SPORTS fans turning up to the London Olympics will get a warm welcome - Liverpool style.

The 2012 team wants to use the city's plans to train up workers at pubs, shops and venues to give visitors help and information when they arrive.

They are in talks with the culture company to pilot the Liverpool Welcome programme, which 30 flagship businesses, including John Lewis and the Met Quarter, have already signed up to.

Chief executive Jason Harborow said: "We are the first city to attempt something like this on such a large scale.

"We are in discussion to pilot this for 2012. Our target is to get 1,500 people to go through the training before '08.

"We have also got more than 300 people signed up to our volunteer programme and we now have a bespoke centre for training them."

The culture company chief also revealed the team is in talks to fill the last three dates for the Summer Pops, but is keeping July 9 free at the moment in case England gets through to the final of the World Cup.

It comes as the city that was the stage for one of Liverpool's biggest and most dramatic sporting wins is to become a non-European Capital of Culture.

Istanbul has been put forward to share the title in 2010 with two other cities, the German town Essen and the Hungarian city P?cs.

It became the lucky city for Liverpool FC last May when the team came back from 3-0 at half-time to win the European Championship for the fifth time.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said it was "not just a victory for the city, but for all of Turkey's citizens. With this chance, Istanbul can win over the world."

The chairman of the selection panel, Sir Jeremy Isaacs, said Istanbul's application had made a "very considerable impression" on the jury.

The Council will decide on the panel's recommendations in the second half of this year.

Istanbul is part of Cities on the Edge, a major conference that will be held in '08, looking at areas with similar histories to Liverpool.

Last night, artistic director Robyn Archer said: "We knew they were bidding and that was one of the reasons why we approached them to join our Cities on the Edge programme.

"It is a natural partner for Liverpool, it has been a world trade port and is an edgy city.

"The recommendation is excellent news."

samlister@@dailypost.co.uk
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #136
Pietari
Just something

Arrow Extra £1/2m for events .....

Extra £1/2m for events May 5 2006

By Joe Riley Arts Editor, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL is set to save more than £500,000 paying for its 2007/8 double party celebrations.

Costs for licensing outdoor events for the city's 800th birthday and Capital of Culture will be slashed by more than £440,000.

Culture company boss Jason Harborow hailed the clawback as "real money which can now be spent on events".

Licensing individual large scale occasions such as the Mathew Street and Mersey river festivals could each cost more than £60,000.

But a new umbrella annual licence - the largest of its kind in the UK - will cost only £64,000 to prime and £32,000 a year to top up - a total of £128,000 to cover major outdoor events until December 2008. The licences cover all streets and public spaces, including the Pier Head and St George's plateau, as well as Liverpool's major public parks.

Mr Harborow said: "This is much better than a time consuming and case by case approach."

A large-scale public meeting on Capital of Culture is being held in St George's hall on July 3, replacing the former closed 'stakeholder' meetings which had been criticised for being 'cliquey'.

The Capital of Culture customer welcome scheme, aimed at improving tourism and service industry standards, would now be used as a pilot scheme for the London Olympics.

Thirty flagship businesses have signed up and 1,500 staff would be receiving training this year.
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #137
Paul D
Fugazi

Likes (Received): 1255

Music legends welcome rebirth of the mighty Picket May 8 2006

LEADING figures from the music world have given their blessing to the re-emergence of Liverpool's internationally-renowned Picket venue.

After a two-year battle, The Picket's director Philip Hayes was last month given the licence he needs to host club nights and festivals at the new site in the £1.5m arts district near the city's waterfront.

Music legends Sir Paul McCartney, Paul Weller and Elvis Costello have now welcomed the news the club would remain open.

Elvis Costello, a longstanding supporter of The Picket, said: "It's great to see that the Picket is back on the Liverpool scene.

"Support the Picket and party like it's 2008."

The Picket closed in 2004 when spiralling debts forced the venue out of its former base in The People's Centre, Hardman Street.

Its original home in the Grade II listed building provided a community performance venue for the last 20 years, and a recording studio since 1986. But funding cuts left the centre thousands of pounds in debt.

Thousands of music lovers have since championed the Save The Picket campaign including the late John Peel and Joe Strummer.

Now the new-look venue will officially reopen on May 27 when Liverpool band Deaf School will reform for the occasion. It is now based in a specially-adapted industrial unit in Jordan Street.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #138
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Liverpool will be known for Premium Lager.

http://www.cains.co.uk/includes/bina...wnload=1&id=21

Old May 10th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #139
richie1878

Tried that stuff a few times Blabbs and am a fan, mmmmmmmmmmm
richie1878 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:43 AM   #140
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Liverpool will be known for Premium Lager.

http://www.cains.co.uk/includes/bina...wnload=1&id=21

Tried that for the first time in the Radisson, Cains Premium Lager. Very nice. Got Raisin Beer at home, also very nice.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
arts, culture, museums, theatre, theatres