daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #1281
dunlin

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by *-City Of Bradford-* View Post
I think I might actually forget the above and go for one of these:

Bradford Chamber of Commerce
Bradford Vision
Abbey National
Bradford Community Housing Trust

I don't know.
Of these 4 go for Bradford Chamber of Commerce - Bradford Vision was wound up last year, Abbey National is now Santander and BCHT are now InCommunities. A summer with an MP would be a brilliant experience, though. Best of luck!
dunlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #1282
*-City Of Bradford-*
*-City Of Bradford-*

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlin View Post
Of these 4 go for Bradford Chamber of Commerce - Bradford Vision was wound up last year, Abbey National is now Santander and BCHT are now InCommunities. A summer with an MP would be a brilliant experience, though. Best of luck!
Thanks for that.

Anyway, back the city centre, if their is one thing I realy hate about the city centre, it is the subways (underground subway, not the shop).

I know they have got CCTV in but their still a nasty and horrible place:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

It is the scariest part of the city centre (for me atleast).

I don't feel safe at all and its horrible and depressing there.

Either revamp them and make them nicer or make a bridge or something.

Its horrible and it will put tourist who come to see that National Media Museum who park in the Hall Ings Road Car Park (which is a disgrace in itself) and walk throught the subway.
*-City Of Bradford-* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #1283
emma72

Quote:
Anyway, back the city centre, if their is one thing I realy hate about the city centre, it is the subways (underground subway, not the shop).

I know they have got CCTV in but their still a nasty and horrible place:

It is the scariest part of the city centre (for me atleast).

I don't feel safe at all and its horrible and depressing there.

Either revamp them and make them nicer or make a bridge or something.

Its horrible and it will put tourist who come to see that National Media Museum who park in the Hall Ings Road Car Park (which is a disgrace in itself) and walk throught the subway.
I completely agree with you here. I took my 2 young children to the museum last week and had to park in Hall Ings. This place is disgusting!

Then we had to walk through the subway to get to the media museum and I felt very 'vulnerable' . The media museum could definitely do with more parking (in a multistorey behind the library would be a good idea). This really needs to improve if the council want more visitors.
emma72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #1284
Dan B
BAND

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma72 View Post
I completely agree with you here. I took my 2 young children to the museum last week and had to park in Hall Ings. This place is disgusting!

Then we had to walk through the subway to get to the media museum and I felt very 'vulnerable' . The media museum could definitely do with more parking (in a multistorey behind the library would be a good idea). This really needs to improve if the council want more visitors.
Think the council did have a plan for this actually:

The curvaceous building towards the bottom of both images was due to be a car park while the subways would be disposed of involving that link building over Princes Way and other pedestrian routes, though I don't think that's happening now anyway, would've ruined the frontage of the Nation Media Museum if it was. Haven't heard anything on the car park either. But that plan would've also resulted in the removal of both the Central Library and the Pictureville Cinema, which being the only Cinerama I think in the country and the main cinema of the Media Museum, I think is quite an asset.

I think there's always an unease about using subways though I've never had trouble myself, but there's always the threat.

Given I haven't posted on here recently, reckon I'll just briefly (if possible) go over the recent news and postings.

First off, I think the problems of Bradford are way too much for one person to comment on, I don't think I could solve it or know the correct course of action, so I'm not gonna bother... Not sure where to come on the whole Multi-Cultural/Integration debate, I tend to favour integration as it involves separate communities coming together as one rather than different communities remaining in their own little zones. The solution to this though I think is almost impossible.

As for Leeds the Best, I tend not to take this guy seriously given his last posting on this thread, agreeing with some pillock named Leeds Lad that Bradford should be carpet bombed, then adding 'Leeds rules' in a rather simplistic and adolescent manner. The comments were called out as an embarrassment to the forums then by Smoggie, and so here we go again. I don't have time for fanboys. By the same ticket though, there's no need for the same kind of response from City of Bradford on that one. Baiting between the two cities is pointless, I've certainly learnt this.

Next issue, cheers for toning down the signature City of Bradford, I think the problem was it was just too long and thus interfered with what you'd be posting. I don't generally agree with the points still, but c'est la vie.

As for the College, I like the fact they're still fighting for the grant to rebuild the modernist parts of its campus, though I don't like the words 'scale down', it's a good design, I really wouldn't want to see them cheapen it.

For the University, I've not seen that design before for the Health Studies Building. I had seen two previous designs for buildings attached to the Richmond Building but at a greater height. The last I heard from the Estates & Facilities on the Bradford University website was that it was to be moved to first Horton A and then Horton D with an extension built on. This is something entirely different though, Wonder if it is the latest design or just an old one the T&A got a hold of. It looks interesting with its curvaceous shape, though I worry that while creating a potentially interesting square in the middle, will end up cutting off the rest of the campus, where there is currently no intrusion in terms of walkways.

The news that BCR is disbanding is great but it hasn't come without cost, those expenses should have a scandal of their own. £3.5m on Salaries, which ties in neatly with Maud Marshall's pension plan as revealed (just about) in one of the T&A articles. On top of that we then have a completely seemingly brainwashed editorial from Perry Austin Clarke (I assume) where the focus of the T&A support of development seems to be directed more towards BCR & Yorkshire Forward and other unelected bodies rather than as previously assumed The Council. Possibly a 'put in a good word for you' piece. It all has something to do with that potential £4m sale of the T&A building, something directly related to the Odeon project, having since gone quiet. Probably gives some indications towards the crooked editorial slant of the T&A. Should also mention, as City of Bradford said before, how they've already spent £4.5m on plans for New Victoria Place, an insulting waste of money on plans not too many of the public are particularly fond of. Could've already been partly renovated by now.

Well I think that's as far back as I need to go through the last few pages for now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danbrassington/

Last edited by Dan B; June 7th, 2009 at 06:38 PM.
Dan B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #1285
*-City Of Bradford-*
*-City Of Bradford-*

The fussy envelope relaxes.

Last edited by *-City Of Bradford-*; March 15th, 2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #1286
Dan B
BAND

Good news:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&A
£1.4m injection for youth culture centre

6:44pm Thursday 11th June 2009

By Will Kilner »

A spectacular community hub with a roof-top cafe overlooking Bradford city centre moved a step closer to becoming reality last night after the Government promised an extra £1.4 million of funding.

Children’s Secretary Ed Balls announced Bradford Council would be given the cash injection to boost plans to set up the Culture Fusion centre in a derelict mill building in Thornton Road, Bradford.

The latest funding comes on top of £5 million of Government money already committed to the £9.8 million project, which would include a six-storey climbing wall, gym, dance and music studios, IT suite and hostel accommodation for educational residential trips.

Mr Balls, announcing a £200 million funding package split across 101 projects nationwide, said: “I want these winning projects to lay down a marker, not just for their local communities but the rest of the country.”

Blueprints for the Culture Fusion project are the result of a city-wide consultation with children and young people. The derelict building set for renovation is on the site of Bradford’s first steam mill.

A partnership of voluntary sector organisations are behind the project, alongside Bradford Council, Bradford Careers Limited and lead partner Bradford YMCA.

Bernie Gahan, project co-ordinator, said: “This money would make the difference between making it happen and it not happening.

“We are quietly confident now, although we still have more money to raise, we have about 80 per cent and there are lots of smaller pots we can apply to. We just needed another large chunk.

“We did not want to do half a job, the youngsters in Bradford really want this.”

Young members of the project’s steering group were consulted on the location and name of the centre as well as on what services it should provide.

The centre would also be used for other activities including a live music venue and possibly housing support to relationship counselling.

The centre would be a safe, neutral place for young people of different backgrounds to meet.

Bradford Council Executive Member for Services to Children and Young People, Michael Kelly, said: “These world-class youth facilities are being led by young people and the intention is to have them at the heart of the build.

“This is a wonderful opportunity for our young citizens to get involved in a massive and exciting project, and to influence how it takes shape “Culture Fusion is a pioneering centre to bring young people of all backgrounds together from across the district and give them the opportunity to boost their cultural experiences.”

The council executive is set to approve the plans at a meeting later this month.

e-mail: will.kilner @telegraphandargus.co.uk
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.u...ulture_centre/

A bright idea for the reuse of one of the old mills in this area. The restoration and the new build look pretty decent and might bring a bit of life to the Thornton Road area.

Old June 11th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #1287
*-City Of Bradford-*
*-City Of Bradford-*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
Good news:

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.u...ulture_centre/

A bright idea for the reuse of one of the old mills in this area. The restoration and the new build look pretty decent and might bring a bit of life to the Thornton Road area.
I'm part of the team working on the project Culture Fusion. But my exams are getting in the way abit

Last edited by *-City Of Bradford-*; March 15th, 2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #1288
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 693

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/8096433.stm
Bradford's 'city of film' honour

The city of Bradford has been chosen to become the world's first-ever city of film, it has been announced.

The accolade has been awarded by Unesco, the arm of the United Nations which promotes culture.

The city is being recognised for movies made in the city and its museum dedicated to film.

Initially, the award is only a title, but those in the movie business in West Yorkshire said they hoped it would bring benefits to the city's economy.

Billy Liar and even part of Monty Python's The Meaning of Life were made in Bradford.

The Railway Children was filmed on the nearby Keighley and Worth Valley Railway in 1970.

The city is home to the National Media Museum and has several film festivals throughout the year, with Bollywood stars also often visiting the city.

Simon Beaufoy, the screenwriter for the Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire, said the accolade was "superb news" for his hometown.

He said: "Not only has Bradford played a crucial role in the story of cinema and helped shape its history, it has inspirational plans to enhance its future relationship with film, which will benefit both the local community and the industry at large."
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #1289
Val Verde

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/8096433.stm
Bradford's 'city of film' honour

The city of Bradford has been chosen to become the world's first-ever city of film, it has been announced.
Well that is certainly surprising. Did Bradford City Council bribe some UN ambassadors to get this accolade and whilst I want Bradford to succedd from this award it could seem a bit mickey mouse to me and could be just another Capital of Culture type in a case of raising Bradford's publicity but not much else (in how exactly would this accoade further Bradfords regeneration)? http://portal.unesco.org/culture/en/...CTION=201.html

Surely I would have thought the likes of Los Angeles, Mumbai, Cannes and Hong Kong (or indeed Leeds which is home to the first ever film in 1888) would have been more deserving of such an award prior to Bradford and has there been any notable films set in Bradford as I can't think of anything beyond the mid 1980s with Monty Pythons Meaning of Life and Rita, Sue and Bob Too.
Val Verde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #1290
Dan B
BAND

Quote:
I'm part of the team working on the project Cultral Fusion. But my exams are getting in the way abit
Might you have any further images or information on the project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Verde View Post
Well that is certainly surprising. Did Bradford City Council bribe some UN ambassadors to get this accolade and whilst I want Bradford to succedd from this award it could seem a bit mickey mouse to me and could be just another Capital of Culture type in a case of raising Bradford's publicity but not much else (in how exactly would this accoade further Bradfords regeneration)? http://portal.unesco.org/culture/en/...CTION=201.html

Surely I would have thought the likes of Los Angeles, Mumbai, Cannes and Hong Kong (or indeed Leeds which is home to the first ever film in 1888) would have been more deserving of such an award prior to Bradford and has there been any notable films set in Bradford as I can't think of anything beyond the mid 1980s with Monty Pythons Meaning of Life and Rita, Sue and Bob Too.
Well there has been quite a few recently, namely Britz, White Girl & Spooks: Code 9. Not exactly amazing examples, but still further use of the city as a filming spot. Quite whether that actually classifies it as a city of film I don't know. I guess The National Media Museum will help out in this role, but it might also help if in an international city of film whether they might maybe try and avoid knocking down a certain historic art deco cinema in the centre? Just possibly?

Old June 15th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #1291
dunlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Verde View Post

First moving footage produced in the UK was made on Leeds Bridge - the camera and footage are held by the National Media Museum (which stands btw on the site of the theatre where the Lumieres did their first paid cinema performance outside London - so Bradford had the flicks when Hollywood was just scrubland). Films made in the City of Bradford also include Room at the Top (it used the Midland's ballroom, for instance), Billy Liar (nice pic in Saturday's Daily Telegraph), The Dresser (filmed in the Alhambra) etc. District wide you have Yanks, The Railway Children and Fairytale - scenes from all of which are painted on the inside of the scary subway mentioned further up this thread. Bradford deserves it.
dunlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #1292
Suburban Knight
ßANNED

Likes (Received): 72

I wouldn't count Spooks Code 9 as a good example of anything. Half of it was filmed in Leeds anyway.
Suburban Knight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #1293
Dan B
BAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Knight View Post
I wouldn't count Spooks Code 9 as a good example of anything. Half of it was filmed in Leeds anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B
Well there has been quite a few recently, namely Britz, White Girl & Spooks: Code 9. NOT EXACTLY AMAZING EXAMPLES

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you actually read comments or get half way through a sentence and give up?

Old June 17th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #1294
Suburban Knight
ßANNED

Likes (Received): 72

Calm down dear!
Suburban Knight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:55 PM   #1295
Dan B
BAND

Quote:
Heritage watchdog thinks conservation areas may be at risk

8:54am Tuesday 23rd June 2009

comment Comments (0) Have your say »
By Jo Winrow »

Experts believe eight or nine of the district’s 57 historic conservation areas could be under threat following the results of a nationwide survey which were revealed today.

For the first time, English Heritage’s annual Heritage at Risk register includes details of these areas which are designated to protect their character and appearance.

A survey was sent to all local authorities but, due to a mix up, English Heritage did not receive Bradford Council’s responses within the original deadline and they will be included on next year’s register.

Trevor Mitchell, English Heritage regional director for planning and development, told the Telegraph & Argus: “Bradford is doing good work in its conservation areas and perhaps partially because of that they didn’t get the survey information back to us in time.

“Bradford has nearly 60 conservation areas and, based on the national picture, we would expect eight or nine of these to be at risk.”

He added: “We are not in the naming and shaming game. Residents, businesses and councils all have a role to play. This survey is a first step in understanding the threats they face. We now need to find solutions and we will target our conservation area grants on places identified as being at risk.”

The Council’s senior conservation and design officer, Jon Ackroyd, said: “We have carried out a comprehensive character assessment for all the district’s conservation areas and through a five-year review programme, we can monitor change and respond accordingly to protect our historic environment.

“The special conservation work we carried out in Idle and The Green has been a huge success, improving the appearance and stimulating local interest in the area, as well as allowing us to get the most from the planning applications.”

Two buildings on English Heritage’s at risk register – which are also in conservation areas – are Manningham Mills, Heaton Street, Bradford, and Old Cotton Mill building at Low Mill Lane, Keighley.

English Heritage is starting a Conservation Areas at Risk campaign to get residents, local groups and councils working together to improve them.

The 2009 register also contains full details of all scheduled monuments and registered parks and gardens at risk, for the first time, as well as buildings.

In the Bradford district, there are ten buildings, 21 scheduled monuments, one garden and one battlefield at risk.

For more information, visit english-heritage.org.uk/conservation areas or english-heritage.org.uk/ risk.

e-mail: jo.winrow@telegraphandargus.co.uk
Bradford's 57 conservation areas:

Addingham; Apsley Crescent; Baildon; Station Road, Baildon; Ben Rhydding; Bingley; Braithwaite; Brunthwaite; Burley in Wharfedale; Cathedral Precinct; City Centre; Clayton; Cullingworth; Devonshire Park and Cliffe Castle.

East Morton; Eldon Place; Esholt; Goitside; Goose Eye and Laycock; Great Horton; Hainworth; Haworth; Heaton Estates; Hodgson Fold; Idle and The Green; Ilkley; Keighley Town Centre; Leeds-Liverpool Canal; Leeming; Little Germany; Little Horton Green; Little Horton Lane; Little London; Low Utley; Lower Wyke.

Menston; Micklethwaite; Middleton; North Park Road; Oakworth; Oxenhope Lower Town; Oxenhope Station Road; Oxenhope Upper Town; Queensbury; Ryecroft; Saltaire; Silsden; Southfield Square; St Paul’s; Stanbury; Steeton; Thornton; Tong; Undercliffe Cemetery; Whetley Grove; Wilsden; and Wrose.
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.u...ric_buildings/

A mix up, of course, just when plenty of old structures are being reduced to rubble in conservation areas, and as for English Heritage, they seem to be thoroughly useless, doing good work in conservation areas, in some places yes, in others wholesale demolition and redevelopment, particularly in the Thornton Road area of the city.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:16 PM   #1296
*-City Of Bradford-*
*-City Of Bradford-*

I like that picture from the Telegraph and Argus:

It looks nice.
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #1297
LS19

According to Look North last night, it looks like this central park type thing may be getting the funding it needs.
LS19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #1298
*-City Of Bradford-*
*-City Of Bradford-*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS19 View Post
According to Look North last night, it looks like this central park type thing may be getting the funding it needs.
Does anyone have a link for this?
Old June 25th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #1299
Yorkshire Boy
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 208

Quote:
Does anyone have a link for this?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...&nbwm=1&bbwm=1

Watch it from 18 minutes and 20 seconds in. Before then they talk about the recent floods in Leeds.
Yorkshire Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #1300
*-City Of Bradford-*
*-City Of Bradford-*

Chairman proud of regeneration work

The forbidden neck essays a heaven into the magnificent benefit.

Last edited by *-City Of Bradford-*; March 15th, 2010 at 09:16 PM.