daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #1
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Highway signs/markings, show yours

Anyone here have photos of highway markings and signs from your city? Or highways pictures that show signs or markings. Just from observations, US, Canada and Australian highways use green signs while most European highways use blue. Asian highways use green while blue on sub avenues.

Here's some road and highway signs from Hong Kong

HK expressways use green signs
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #2
edolen1
Monkey business

Likes (Received): 6

Well, Slovenia uses green for motorways, blue for expressways and yellow for normal roads, and white backgrounds for city districts:

edolen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #3
EarlyBird
BАNNED

Likes (Received): 1

In the UK we have blue for motorway, green for major roads, white for normal roads, brown for public information and yellow for temporary instructions...

EarlyBird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #4
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by edolen1
Well, Slovenia uses green for motorways, blue for expressways and yellow for normal roads, and white backgrounds for city districts:

hey edolen, i think the green for motorways, blue for high-speed roads, and yellow for standard roads is international! croatia uses the same colors for the same roads.
OettingerCroat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 05:45 AM   #5
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

I got interested in this highway signs from playing Simcity 3000 Unlimited. It's the edition where you can change the skyline from Asian to European. I build alot of highways in my city. The original version has a US style skyline. The highway markings are the typical green signs that you can see in a US highway. But if you convert the skyline, the highway signs changes, blue for european and green for asian.

Japan

Last edited by Manila-X; August 18th, 2005 at 11:19 AM.
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #6
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat
hey edolen, i think the green for motorways, blue for high-speed roads, and yellow for standard roads is international! croatia uses the same colors for the same roads.
Depends on your definition of international. I suppose you offen have regional standards but that signage is hardly europe-wide and certainly not worldwide.
There are but a couple of signs that are pretty much universally international ie: Stop signs and the ''Give Way''/ ''Yield'' signs.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

there most likely the same in slovenia and croatia, becuase at one time they were the same country, Yugoslavia
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #8
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 752

New Zealand signs

Motorway

Highway

Local

Special warning

Last edited by KIWIKAAS; August 18th, 2005 at 03:56 PM.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #9
edolen1
Monkey business

Quote:
Not really. It's Yugoslavia's legacy. But nowadays there are already differences in fonts, arrow shapes and the marking sticks on the side of the road.. Also road numbering systems are different, and expressways standards too (as far as I know an expressway in Slovenia has a dual carriageway while an expressway in Croatia hasn't)..
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #10
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
I got interested in this highway signs from playing Simcity 3000 Unlimited. It's the edition where you can change the skyline from Asian to European. I build alot of highways in my city. The original version has a US style skyline. The highway markings are the typical green signs that you can see in a US highway. But if you convert the skyline, the highway signs changes, blue for european and green for asian.

Japan

Isn't 60 kmh a little too low for a highway?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #11
edolen1
Monkey business

Well, not if it's meant for an approaching exit or toll station.. Otherwise I do agree it is a bit slow..
Old August 18th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #12
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Quote:
(as far as I know an expressway in Slovenia has a dual carriageway while an expressway in Croatia hasn't)..
what do you mean? expressways and carriageways are completely different things... according to most road maps, a carriageway is a road marked by former Yugoslavian blue signs, while an expressway is green. they are two totally different roads.
Old August 19th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #13
edolen1
Monkey business

Quote:
what do you mean? expressways and carriageways are completely different things... according to most road maps, a carriageway is a road marked by former Yugoslavian blue signs, while an expressway is green. they are two totally different roads.
I meant that (as far as I know, so I may be wrong) the expressway standard in Croatia is a 2-lane highway without a median (don't know about the hard shoulder), while in Slovenia it is a 4-lane highway with a median and without a hard shoulder (just the emergency stop areas every 400 metres or so)..

Heh, sorry if I didn't express myself clearly enough..

And btw, expressways are marked with blue signs and motorways with green signs in the former Yu..
Old August 19th, 2005, 03:17 PM   #14
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

In switzerland, freeways/motorways without same level crossings are green.

Main roads (cantonal/national) are blue and smaller roads (county/ gemeinde) are white:

Bycicle signs are red:

Trails are yellow, those with the white red tip are mointain trails.
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #15
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Quote:
I meant that (as far as I know, so I may be wrong) the expressway standard in Croatia is a 2-lane highway without a median (don't know about the hard shoulder), while in Slovenia it is a 4-lane highway with a median and without a hard shoulder (just the emergency stop areas every 400 metres or so)..

Heh, sorry if I didn't express myself clearly enough..

And btw, expressways are marked with blue signs and motorways with green signs in the former Yu..
an expressway is a highway with a toll.... expressway/motorway basically has the exact same meaning today, just that expressway specifies that it is tolled.

all expressways in croatia are at least 4 lanes, some places 6.

a carriageway is like a high speed road, that you might find around a city, its essentially a non-tolled highway with a slightly slower speed than an expressway/motorway, and also has a median. all 4 and 6 lane carriageways in Croatia, namely around Zagreb, Split, and Rijeka have full-length emergency lanes.

but there are some roads classified as "carriageways" in Croatia that, like you said, are only 2 lanes, dont have medians, and have emergency stop areas periodically. also, the secondary roads in croatia are like this.

but ALL motorways/expressways (green signs) have at least 4 lanes, medians, and full breakdown lanes. and you were right about some of the carriageways.

trust me on these things, i live in the US and my english is perfect
Old August 19th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #16
edolen1
Monkey business

You trust me on this too, because I am giving you the official English names of these roads and there is a difference between expressway and motorway in official classification in Slovenia. All the roads with blue signs are expressways (hitre ceste in Slov.; brze ceste in Cro.) and all the roads with green signs are motorways (avtoceste in Slov.; autoceste in Cro.).

And btw, a carriageway is, according to Oxford, one of the two sides of a motorway or other large road, intended for traffic moving one direction. Don't mix dual carriageway (road with a median) with carriageway.
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:20 AM   #17
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

ok, following definitions from Websters Online Dictionary:

Motorway
Noun
1. A broad highway designed for high-speed traffic.
http://www.websters-online-dictionar...ition/motorway

Expressway
Noun
1. A broad highway designed for high-speed traffic.
http://www.websters-online-dictionar...ion/expressway

Dual Carriageway
Noun
1. A highway divided down the middle by a barrier that separates traffic going in different directions; "in England they call a divided highway a dual carriageway".
http://www.websters-online-dictionar...al+Carriageway

see? motorways/expressways are the same thing, and you are correct, i shouldn't have mixed dual carriageway with carriageway.

let me try to translate:
Motorways=Expressways=Avtoceste=Autoceste
Dual Carriageways=Hitre Ceste=Brze Ceste

just trying to help out
Old August 20th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #18
edolen1
Monkey business

I know, the meanings perfectly fine, it's just how they are officially called in English here.. I realize the terms are used differently in other parts of the world, I'm just telling you how they're used here.

I'm sorry, if you think it's wrong, tell it to DARS, not me..

http://www.dars.si/index.php?language=2&id=40 << sorry for the crappy site and crappy English, but you can clearly see they use expressways for H-roads (hitre ceste) and motorways for A-roads (avtoceste).
Old August 20th, 2005, 10:34 PM   #19
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

On my site ( http://www.autosnelwegen.nl/asw/aansluitingen.htm ) you'll find some examples of signposting on Dutch motorways.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #20
chilean_sky
Chilean pilot

Likes (Received): 8

Chile has the european standard of motorways/highways signs.

The blue signs for the highways/motorways and green signs for the secondary roads.

and the electronic panels with information to the drivers with high speeds info, seat belts, emergency on road, etc.