daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #41
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Well, even though there is no official standard anywhere, it can be generalized with some accuracy that European nations use blue signs for the highest-level roads (call them whatever you want, freeways, expressways, highways), along with that universal freeway sign which looks like a road that is narrow at the top and wide at the base. Green signs are usually used for roads that are high-speed and often are not that different from "blue-signed" roads, but almost always have a lower speed limit and lower design standards. Local roads/destinations vary greatly between countries.

North American highways generally use green signs for all major and even semi-major roads (i.e. roads that would fit into both the "blue" and "green" category in most European countries). From pics I've seen Australia, New Zealand, and some other English-speaking countries seem to follow more or less this model as well.

Not sure about East Asian countries, but they seem to have blue signs for major highways.

I'll post some pics and descriptions of Israeli roads soon (right now I have to sleep). I'd post Canada, but it's not that interesting - pretty much identical to the United States .

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #42
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 752

How many countries use Botts Dots on their roads?
A ''Botts Dot''

As far as I know only the US (California,Nevada,Arizona,Texas,New Mexico), Australia and New Zealand use them.
I havent seen Bott's Dots used anywhere else.
Any other countries?

Examples:
US (California)

Australia

New Zealand
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #43
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Do they return light at night? In Israel it is common to use reflectors embedded in the pavement, but unlike these "Botts Dots", they are used in conjunction with regular lane markings, usually on two-lane roads with no median, to improve visibility at night in long stretches without lighting. There is usually one reflector at the beginning of every bar in the broken line marking.

Most traffic signs and regulations in Israel follow general European guidelines...
Blue signs for main highways, even though only few roads are classified as such (in Israel they are referred to as "autostradas", from Italian... don't know why):

Electronic regulation used on the Ayalon highway in Tel Aviv:

Most highways in Israel are marked in green, and some "blue" highways have green signs in places too:

More regional roads, and sometimes "green" highways use white direction signs (in this one, they are in fact pointing to a "blue" highway, identified by the standard European freeway symbol):

Speed limits are officially 110 km/h on "blue" highways and 90-100 km/h on other highways, but so far except for toll highway #6, all blue highways are limited to at most 100 km/h by speed limit signs.

Traffic lights in Israel are different from many countries because they always provide 100% protected turns, identified by arrows above them. There are never, as far as I know, nonprotected left turns at traffic light intersections in Israel, and right turns are often protected also, or separated from the traffic lights. In the former case, turning right on red is prohibited:

And lastly, Israel's truly "universal" stop sign :

Old September 13th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #44
el tico

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS
How many countries use Botts Dots on their roads?
A ''Botts Dot''

They have them in Central America too, at least in Costa Rica for all I know. Unfortunately don't have any pictures.
Old September 13th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #45
trentthomson
Former Member

Likes (Received): 0

Re: Botts Dots and night driving.

The round ones do not reflect light, but they are almost always used in conjunction with cat's eyes (square botts dots). They are still easily visible at night, and when it rains heavily, if you cannot see the dots, you can still see the cat's eyes and you'll hear a 'thudding' noise as you drive over the dots.

Botts dots, when used in place of dashed lines, are generally placed in groups of four. In the direction of travel, the first dot is a cat's eye, and the following three are round botts dots.

I know that in Australia, the round dots are officially called "non-retroreflective raised pavement markers" (NRPMs) while the cat's eyes are called "retroreflective raised pavement markers" (RPMs).

Trent.
trentthomson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 02:59 AM   #46
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat
Well, even though there is no official standard anywhere, it can be generalized with some accuracy that European nations use blue signs for the highest-level roads (call them whatever you want, freeways, expressways, highways), along with that universal freeway sign which looks like a road that is narrow at the top and wide at the base. Green signs are usually used for roads that are high-speed and often are not that different from "blue-signed" roads, but almost always have a lower speed limit and lower design standards. Local roads/destinations vary greatly between countries.
Well, several European countries use blue signs on freeways, but it certainly can't be generalized for Europe.

BLUE - Germany, France, United Kingdom, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, Poland, Hungary, Belarus, Ireland (not sure) and some other perhaps

GREEN - Russia! (half of Europe, true though that they don't have many freeways ), Italy, Greece, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Switzerland, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Macedonia, Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Lithuania, Portugal (not sure), Norway (not sure) and some other perhaps

The only European country which uses green signs on 'high-speed roads' that I know of, is Switzerland.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 03:00 AM   #47
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
And lastly, Israel's truly "universal" stop sign :

Not bad.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #48
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:

North American highways generally use green signs for all major and even semi-major roads (i.e. roads that would fit into both the "blue" and "green" category in most European countries). From pics I've seen Australia, New Zealand, and some other English-speaking countries seem to follow more or less this model as well.

Not sure about East Asian countries, but they seem to have blue signs for major highways.

I'll post some pics and descriptions of Israeli roads soon (right now I have to sleep). I'd post Canada, but it's not that interesting - pretty much identical to the United States .
Most Asian countries use green signs on highways and blue ones on main roads.

Some examples,

Hong Kong

Thailand

Malaysia

Japan

Korea

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Last edited by Manila-X; September 13th, 2006 at 07:05 AM.
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #49
Onur
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joya
In Turkey:
Motorways: Green
Highways: Blue
In city roads: White
Touristic: Brown
Informative: Red
Some Examples with photos

Onur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #50
Æsahættr

Likes (Received): 5

Not dots but paint and grooves that you hear when you pass over
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #51
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Norway:

Yellow: Normal roads/highways

Before junction:

Or, if it`s a complicated junction:

At junction:

(white: Lokal destinations, orange or bright yellow: Detour)

Blue: Motorways/freeways

Before exit:

At exit:

The yellow sign just followed the URL and has nothing to do with motorways. In Norway the only other colours on motorwaysigns than blue, is white backgrounds with black lettering (to lokal destinations, like an industrial area), and brown backgrounds with white lettering (to touristical destinations). So what kind of road the exit leads to has nothing to do with the motorway signage, wich is white on blue anyway. I.O.W. You will not find a motorwaysign in Norway with a black on yellow panel even though all non-motorwayroads are using these colours. It is as far as I know the same system as the one they use in Germany.

Last edited by Norsko; January 10th, 2009 at 09:57 PM.
Norsko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #52
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

found in extreme southern Belgium:

Never seen that before...
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #53
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Is it really necessary to waste such a huge amount of paint? It seems like it's a quite small road.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #54
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Didn't we just have a thread on this?

It's cool, I'll recycle my old post, one of my favorites:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=219

Quote:
Here's some more pics from my country, a little place they call America.

I picked out some nice sunny ones from deserts and urban jungles of Socal, for all you pale Euros out there.

Yay! Los Angeles, that's where I want to go. Good thing they've got four lanes going there.

ZOMG! Hollywood!

You better believe that's downtown LA.

Choices, choices.

Stack interchage. My favorite! /me does happy dance

For you environmentalists out there.

The El Toro Y, the world's biggest interchange.

The Inland Empire.

When I die, I want to be reincarnated as a stack interchange.

Some NorCal action.

Downtown San Fransisco.

And if you get tired of the Golden State, you can always head up to Las Vegas.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #55
Scandinavia2005
BANNED

Here's some from Germany (taken by myself)

(to be continued...)
Scandinavia2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #56
Scandinavia2005
BANNED

Old April 15th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #57
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Nice pics of German autobahnen German highways are easily recognisable by distinct destination signs and... endless powerlines along the road
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #58
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

I don't like the German signage system. NRW is ok, but especially in northern Germany there's often some kind of chaos.
The system in Hesse is much better - very similar to the standard signage in Germany, but much stricter rules, i.e. allowing only short arrows and resulting in a nice and clear design.
Some pics of Hessian signs around Frankfurt can be found here, here and especially here.
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #59
Scandinavia2005
BANNED

and what kind of charos is this in your opinion?
Old April 15th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #60
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

long and short arrows, different font sizes, alignment and distances between the lines - all that even on the same sign, arrows not over the middle of the lanes, arrows sometimes under and sometimes beside the targets, different heights of the signs, ... just ugly!
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote