daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #81
eusebius
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpool88 View Post
yeah, id struggle to see how 16 seat mini busses serve masses of people very effectively... in my experience getting around London at night is actually alot easier and quicker on the busses then it is in the day, superb service.

and London has the 25...god i love that bus!
You struggle to read correctly, those mini busses serve as feeders to the night service stations.
eusebius no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #82
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusebius View Post
You struggle to read correctly, those mini busses serve as feeders to the night service stations.
yes... and what happens when they have to handle large numbers of people on the feeder service...

and as for the 25 London, it stinks, you get vacuum packed but its incredibly frequent all day and all night and iv never once had to pay!
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #83
lasdun

Likes (Received): 7

The 25 is a love to hate sort of thing... I couldn't have lived without it when I lived in Stratford and Bow.

London's night bus network is world class, you can get anywhere, and thanks to the light traffic they are also quite fast. The Bendy services are great, but the trouble with the double deckers are that the drivers get a bit stop-pass happy when the bus fills up - in winter it's a long 30 minutes for the next Number 8, even more so if that doesn't stop either!

Because of huge demand in the westend east-bound busses will often not stop between the first few stops and the edge of the east end (as pretty much no one lives in the city) so if you find yourself in holborn or st pauls it's a long walk to a bus stop that will actualy get you home.
lasdun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #84
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

I used to live in Forest Gate and can concur the 25 has always been jam packed full of reprobates, 24 hours a day. I'm on the insanely frequent 38 now... I miss the Routemasters dearly, but at least by hook or by crook I can always get on one. You just have to tune out the Hackney rudegirls playing music on their mobiles at the back.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #85
Blackpool88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasdun View Post
The 25 is a love to hate sort of thing... I couldn't have lived without it when I lived in Stratford and Bow.

London's night bus network is world class, you can get anywhere, and thanks to the light traffic they are also quite fast. The Bendy services are great, but the trouble with the double deckers are that the drivers get a bit stop-pass happy when the bus fills up - in winter it's a long 30 minutes for the next Number 8, even more so if that doesn't stop either!

Because of huge demand in the westend east-bound busses will often not stop between the first few stops and the edge of the east end (as pretty much no one lives in the city) so if you find yourself in holborn or st pauls it's a long walk to a bus stop that will actualy get you home.

same when i was in mile end i based everything around the 25, no matter where in london I was all i had to do was get myself to the 25 rout and everything would be ok!

i think the bendy busses do an amazing job too, some argue that double deckers is a better solution because they take up less room but the ability to cram on the bendy busses make them so much more accessible
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #86
willo
Me&Me

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabriFlorence View Post
I don't remember very well, but i think that Madrid has 25 NightBus lines which run every 30 minutes circa.
there are 25 nightbuses running every 30 minutes circa from monday to thursday (and festivities too) and every 15 minutes from friday to sunday (and the day before festivities too)

then there are another 9 nightbuses that are named like the metro lines and make the same journey. these ones are named like its metro line counterparts with a ''N'' before (NL1, NL2...).these nightbuses run every 5 minutes just from friday to sunday (and the day before festivities too)
willo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #87
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 165

In my opinion NIGHT SERVICE LONDON BUSES is the best in the world, but it has a great defect : there isn't service in the night between 24 and 25 December, all the 25 December and in the night between 25 and 26 December !!!!
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #88
eusebius
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

London busses only seem great as the tube doesn't run. Berlin 1 - London 0. Besides on London busses you encounter on so many people you'd rather avoid at night. Show me how many women actually use London busses, virtually none I know from experience.
eusebius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #89
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
London busses only seem great as the tube doesn't run. Berlin 1 - London 0. Besides on London busses you encounter on so many people you'd rather avoid at night. Show me how many women actually use London busses, virtually none I know from experience.
don't give me that crap about women not using london buses. especially as you cant even spell buses so i doubt you know anything about london buses.
bigbossman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #90
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
don't give me that crap about women not using london buses. especially as you cant even spell buses so i doubt you know anything about london buses.
Hehe. The buses really are full of every single type of person you've ever seen. My most-used night bus is the N29 (every six minutes every night!) and you get the most random encounters on it. All my female friends don't mind taking that bus by themselves, either.

A bus is actually much safer at night than a tube carriage, considering that buses don't consist out of separate carriages and you won't be sitting there with just one or two other people. I'd also rather have a bus in night traffic every few minutes than having to wait 30 minutes or so for a night subway, which can be the case in Berlin. (60 minutes headways on the S-bahn even)

Anyway, I posted the maps earlier. I really don't think any city can beat a 100 night bus lines. I had a look at New York, but the majority of bus routes operate from 5:00 AM to 1:30 AM. Some routes run continuously, but most of those have 60 minute headways at night.

Last edited by sweek; December 14th, 2007 at 10:11 PM.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #91
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 165

Also in NYC there are about 100 night line buses, but the most headways are 45-60 minutes. This is a normal thing, because NYC has 20 subway lines in service 24/7 with a night frequency of 20 minutes !!!!
Are crowded even at 3 AM or 4 Am on weekdays the night buses in London ?
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #92
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Chicago is decent for the USA. We have 18 bus lines that run 24-hours, as well as two subway/El lines that run through the north, south, northwest and west sides of the city.

Many other busses (like the Halsted bus) only have a 1-2 hour break in service, from say 4am to 5am. Those aren't counted as 24 hour...
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #93
Blackpool88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1976 View Post
Also in NYC there are about 100 night line buses, but the most headways are 45-60 minutes. This is a normal thing, because NYC has 20 subway lines in service 24/7 with a night frequency of 20 minutes !!!!
Are crowded even at 3 AM or 4 Am on weekdays the night buses in London ?
I'm assuming the last part was a question... if not, i'll answer it anyway! yes the London buses are generally rammed every night of the week, with revelers making up a lot of the numbers until about 5AM then at 5AM morning commuters take the baton they are really busy 24 hours

And to the person who said women don't use it that is complete bollocks i don't really know any woman who would avoid it, there too busy for any serious crime to take place maybe pick pockets but thats all and they all have CCTV cameras on them!
Old December 16th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #94
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
It's true, the night buses are so good because the subway does not run (but some commuter rail does btw).

The comment about women however wtf? There are women drivers, each bus has a direct link with a rapid response control room, police patrol buses in civilian uniform, all buses have CCTV as well as emergency buttons and lets not forget the general public are mostly good people (like me) who would help out if anyone is in trouble. Personally I think the prospect of being stuck in a carriage deep underground is a more threatening than on a open bright bus.
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #95
zfreeman

Likes (Received): 1

The only issue i have with the night buses in london is the early services - generally around 12.30 - 1am, are fully of drunks with stinking kebabs, the ones where its obvious they've missed the last tube train and ended up getting a kebab to pass the time waiting for the bus. You can never get a seat either and once again the worse is the 25 but running a close second is the N8- its the benefit of living close to town in between a number of night routes and tube stations.

Its one reason why i generally walk home after a night out or get a cab (cheap over short distances)
zfreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #96
serbsil
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Here in São Paulo (Brazil), there are some lines that operates whole day, or only at night.
Generically, nightly lines are identified by code 11. But the majority of the lines has codes like 10 (base/main line), 5x (prolongation), 3x (derivation), 4x (bifurcation), where x is a digit from 1 to 9.
Line's number is a code of 4 digits, or 3 digits and a letter.

Some of these lines are:
6500/10 Terminal Santo Amaro - Terminal Bandeira (24 hs)
through Nove de Julho avenue
5300/10 Terminal Santo Amaro - Parque Dom Pedro II (24 hs)
through 23 de Maio avenue
1177/51 Terminal A. E. Carvalho - Terminal Amaral Gurgel (Nightly line)
2435/51 Terminal A. E. Carvalho - Terminal Amaral Gurgel (Nightly line)
8615/10 Parque da Lapa - Terminal Parque Dom Pedro II (24 hs)
2291/11 Terminal São Mateus - Praça da República
6266/11 Jardim Maria Sampaio - Terminal Bandeira
3160/10 Terminal Vila Prudente - Terminal Parque Dom Pedro II (24 hs)
6450/10 Terminal Capelinha - Terminal Bandeira (24 hs)
6455/10 Terminal Bandeira - Largo São Francisco (24 hs)
3310/11 Cidade Tiradentes - Terminal Amaral Gurgel (circular line)
6418/10 Real Parque - Praça da Sé (24 hs)
2680/11 Oliveirinha - Praça da Sé

And there are some lines that aren't nightly or a 24 hours line, but their operation timetable are large:
8000/10 Terminal Lapa - Praça Ramos de Azevedo (Ramos de Azevedo Square)
From 3.10 AM to 1.30 AM (direction: Terminal Lapa)
From 4.00 AM to 2.40 AM (direction: Praça Ramos)
8400/10 Terminal Pirituba - Praça Ramos de Azevedo
From 3.10 AM to 1.30 AM (direction: Terminal Pirituba)
From 4.00 AM to 2.20 AM (direction: Praça Ramos)

In a city that have 980 lines, the number of nightly or 24 hs lines must be greater. It's hard to know all these lines.

Last edited by serbsil; December 17th, 2007 at 04:35 AM.
serbsil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #97
Darryl

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I'd vote for Berlin myself. It's got a huge 24 hour network with very good coverage of the city. It also runs frequently (between 10 minutes and 30 minutes depending on the service). The night service only operates between 0:30 and 4:00 because before or after those times normal services run. The U-bahn is replaced by buses that follow the exact U-bahn line between Monday morning and Friday morning (IE after midnight on those days) but the U-bahn runs all night on Saturday and Sunday mornings with a 15 minute interval.

Considering the city itself has only 3.4 million people I think it's a good network!

Here is the 24 hour network of Berlin in PDF diagram form.
I've heard Berlin's night bus system is good, but I can never figure out how to use it! For the S and U Bahn you just look at the map, for the buses, I can't figure out where the hell they're going! Maybe it's just because I was too drunk at the time.
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #98
serbsil
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I found more lines
They link a region to center, or its way is inside a region
Almost all of them are linked to a bus terminal

24 hours lines, south region:
6455/10 Terminal Capelinha - Largo São Francisco
6450/10 Terminal Capelinha - Terminal Bandeira
6505/10 Terminal Guarapiranga - Terminal Bandeira
5391/10 Terminal Jardim Ângela - Largo São Francisco
5300/10 Terminal Santo Amaro - Parque Dom Pedro II
6500/10 Terminal Santo Amaro - Terminal Bandeira
546L/10 Jardim Luso - Terminal Santo Amaro
6825/10 Valo Velho - Terminal Capelinha

24 hs lines, west region:
8615/10 Parque da Lapa - Terminal Parque Dom Pedro II

24 hs lines, east region:
3160/10 Terminal Vila Prudente - Terminal Parque Dom Pedro II

24 hs lines: north region:
9500/10 Terminal Cachoeirinha - Largo do Paissandu

Nightly lines, south region:
6827/11 Terminal Capelinha - Valo Velho
6829/11 Terminal Capelinha - Jardim Vaz de Lima
6830/11 Terminal Capelinha - Jardim Irene
6831/11 Terminal Capelinha - Jardim Guarujá
6832/11 Terminal Capelinha - Pq. Arariba
5101/10 Terminal Sacomã - Terminal Parque Dom Pedro II
5102/10 Terminal Sacomã - Terminal Amaral Gurgel
501M/11 Vila Clara via Jabaquara - Praça da Sé (Linha Noturna)
6016/31 Jardim Noronha - Terminal Grajaú
6016/51 Jardim Noronha - Terminal Santo Amaro
6026/10 Jardim Icaraí - Terminal Santo Amaro
6084/51 Chácara do Sol - Terminal Santo Amaro
6267/31 Jardim Mitsutani - Terminal Bandeira
6312/10 Jardim Luso - Terminal Amaral Gurgel

Nightly lines, west region:
696P/10 Terminal Amaral Gurgel - Pinheiros
802C/10 CEASA - Largo da Concórdia

Nightly lines, east region:
1177/51 Terminal A. E. Carvalho - Terminal Amaral Gurgel
208V/51 Terminal A. E. Carvalho - Terminal Amaral Gurgel
2435/51 Terminal A. E. Carvalho - Terminal Amaral Gurgel
3310/10 Terminal Amaral Gurgel - Cidade Tiradentes
393C/10 Terminal Amaral Gurgel - Cohab II
393H/10 Terminal Amaral Gurgel - Jardim Santo André
2291/10 Terminal São Mateus - Praça da República
2006/51 Cidade Kemel I - Terminal A. E. Carvalho
2666/51 Jardim Camargo Velho - Terminal A. E. Carvalho
2678/51 Oliveirinha - Terminal A. E. Carvalho
273R/51 Jardim Robru - Terminal A. E. Carvalho
2755/51 Guaianases - Terminal A. E. Carvalho
273R/53 Jardim Robru - Praça da Sé

Nighlty lines, north region:
1721/51 Vila Ede - Praça do Correio
1728/51 Jardim Brasil - Praça do Correio
1741/51 Vila Dionízia - Praça do Correio
1759/51 Jardim Pery - Praça do Correio
175T/21 Jardim Tremembé - Praça do Correio
1767/51 Edu Chaves - Praça do Correio
1783/52 Jardim Cachoeira - Praça do Correio
9005/31 Jardim Princesa - Terminal Cachoeirinha
971X/51 Terminal Cachoeirinha - Terminal Amaral Gurgel
serbsil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #99
UT596001
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitxofo View Post
Also, 20 more lines to other cities of the metropolitan region every hour, from 1 to 5am.
20 lines no, only 17 (N52 line is a shuttle between Vallirana and Molins de Rei, and don't stop at Cervelló because this service are payed by Vallirana's local council). Runs between 1 to 4 am from Barcelona, from the other terminus are between 0 to 3 pm. Also so many line have several limited services for local routes to adaptate to local bus routes timetables (for example, on line N65 they have 2 limited services from Sabadell to Castellar del Vallès who leaves at 23.31 and 00.31 from Sabadell, not from Barcelona; from Castellar to Sabadell and Barcelona the last service direct to Barcelona leaves from Castellar at 02.55, the 03.55 and 04.55 services are limited to Sabadell).
UT596001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:31 PM   #100
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5963

Vienna has a pretty good night line (bus) service for a city of 1.7 mio inhabitants I guess. The tact is 30 min though. Where more than one line is driving this might add up to 15 min or less.

Regular service is ending somewhat around 00:30 and starts again after 05:00.

A very important feature in terms of convience as well as price politics is that they fall under the very same price regime as the regular lines. That means if you for example have a day ticket (actually a 24 hour ticket), the night lines are included as well, or if you dont have it, just use a regular ticket.

On Saturday and Sunday
http://www.wienerlinien.at/WienerSta...ine_Sa_Son.pdf

On all the other days
http://www.wienerlinien.at/WienerSta...ghtLine_WT.pdf