daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #101
marki
Moon Transit

Likes (Received): 700

Australia

Australia does have all night services, there are 2 types: Those that run every night and those that run only on the weekend.

Sydney has the only real 24 hour service, about 8 Eastern suburbs busses run either hourly or half hourly. Western suburbs are generally served by 10 nightride bus services. Some trains in the Sydney region have services between 1 and 4 am, such as to Newcastle and Maitland.

Gold Coast, has a 24 hour bus service along its trunk route. Melbourne has an expensive 24 hour bus service to the Airport.

Melbourne and Brisbane services run on Saturday and Sunday morning, while Adelaide and Perth only run Sunday morning. Since they dont operate daily they are useless, except for those out on Saturday night. Some also charge special fares.

Mark.
marki no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #102
MarkO

Likes (Received): 268

Nightbuses in Manchester

About 20 services, some as regular as every 10 minutes (143) but others only half-hourly or worse.

Map lives here http://www.gmpte.com/pdf/mncr_nbmap.pdf

Services can be a bit erratic. Needs to much work harder to get anywhere near the level of service given in London but for the UK it's probably one of the best services outside the capital, unless anyone knows of any better?
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #103
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Manc night buses finish about 3.30am. That's a tad shite for an area of 2.5 million people with an aim to be perceived as a buzzing metropolis. And it's not just the nightlife either that needs catering - how about shift workers?

Much more improvement needed here!
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #104
MarkO

Likes (Received): 268

Completely agree with you "Sarflonlad" Manchester "must do better"

Maybe they should take a leaf out of....The Isle of Wight....this rural area with a population of around 100,000 spread over an area about the same size as Greater London has recently introduced its first NIGHT BUSES!

I know I nearly swallowed my own...cornflakes when I heard that...but it's true! And they run them every half and hour, all night long SEVEN nights a week!

Check it out here: http://www.islandbuses.info/

So if the liddle ole IOW can do it why not Greater Manch and elsewhere?!

Last edited by MarkO; January 5th, 2008 at 12:34 AM. Reason: typo
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #105
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
Completely agree with you "Sarflonlad" Manchester "must do better"

Maybe they should take a leaf out of....The Isle of Wight....this rural area with a population of around 100,000 spread over an area about the same size as Greater London has recently introduced its first NIGHT BUSES!

I know I nearly swallowed my own...cornflakes when I heard that...but it's true! And they run them every half and hour, all night long SEVEN nights a week!

Check it out here: http://www.islandbuses.info/

So if the liddle ole IOW can do it why not Greater Manch and elsewhere?!
Wow! Now that is good! What a great little bus network for the island.

The success of night buses it seems depends on frequencies and reliability. Otherwise, it's not that expensive for 4 people to share cabs in medium/small sized cities.
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote