daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #201
Perth4life3
Now Reborn :)

Likes (Received): 0

i dont really see anything special in either, canary wharf will look like a smaller version of La and the financial district just looks plain!!

dont say im a london basher, its just my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:55 PM   #202
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perth4life3
i dont really see anything special in either, canary wharf will look like a smaller version of La and the financial district just looks plain!!

I'm not accusing you of being a London basher but I'm genuinely confused as to why you use the word plain with respect to this. Personally that's the last word i'd have used to discribe the city's planned skyline. Whether you like it or not is a different matter and of course you're entitled to your own opinion but plain?? Plain in colour maybe, because they're all glass towers?
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:59 PM   #203
London
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perth4life3

Of course we wont call you that... its your opinion. And everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

But i dont think that this looks like a smaller version of la Defense:

And plus, Canary Wharf's building will dwarf that of La Denfense's because their buildings are short.
London no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #204
ESSEXgeezer
///////////////

I wouldnt say the financial district looks plain. Infact within the square mile there are, and will be, some of the best designed skyscrapers in the world. Tower 42 was the tallest cantilever structure in the world, we've all seen swiss re, and with difa and leadenhall i think this will be one of the most interesting skyscraper districts in the world. ok it may not have the bulk, but it has the quality.
ESSEXgeezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #205
London
New York

Comparing the two, it only seems sensible to realise that La Defense hasnt got the hight!

Old October 28th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #206
London
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESSEXgeezer
Tower 42 was the tallest cantilever structure in the world
yes... alot of people don't know that Tower 42 was the tallest skyscraper in the world, of it's kind.

But yeh, im looking forwards to 2008-09 because London will have some of the best skyscraper designs - as a result of the this, more business' will see the new office space extremely desirable, which is important to future highrise developments - we dont wants the building's to stand half empty, that'll scare developers away.

SwissRe chooses to stand half full
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #207
Fragmentor
Funky London

Likes (Received): 1

well at least it's their choice, I would be concerned if they just couldnt get anyone in
Fragmentor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:41 PM   #208
London
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmentor
well at least it's their choice, I would be concerned if they just couldnt get anyone in
I know

It's just that the company realises that they have something valuable (the gherkin), and dont just want to let it to just any old company, who are constantly begging on their door step. A very smug company
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #209
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

"Comparing the two, it only seems sensible to realise that La Defense hasnt got the hight!"

I havenīt been to Paris nor London, but when u visit CW and LD, do you actually feel that the CW towers are higher? I think the LD skyline is better that CW but do u feel the hight difference?

Btw. That pic of CW and LD canīt be in right scale (isnīt that pic of CW the future skyline?). It would be nice to see a picture of both CW and LD in right scale beside each other..
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #210
London
New York

Well, to be honest, i prefer LD's skyline because its obviously more dense. But on the other hand, i'm pro-height. (i prefer 1 500meter building to 5 100meter buildings).

And yes... you can definitely notice the height difference between the two.

But no... the pic isnt to scale. My prime aim was to compare the height's but the architecture stood out more between the two

I'll do a rendering of Canary Wharf in La Defense in about 10 mins
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #211
London
New York

Im gonna do it to scale
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #212
London
New York

All i could be bothered to do

Old October 29th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #213
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1545

LD's skyline would be greatly improved if some of the uglier towers were demolished. Even if a little density was lost, it would still look much more appealing.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 08:22 PM   #214
29A

Likes (Received): 45

Maybe La Defense does not have the height, but who cares!! It is an urban masterpiece!!
Old October 29th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #215
Intoxication
Everythin bubble of water

Likes (Received): 20452

Citypoint (Calatrava)

* This design was rejected because there were worries the fin on the top would ruin views of St Pauls. Who cares if it ruins ST Pauls views I dont.

London is not a city that readily accepts high rises, it is extremely difficult
to get a high rise built in the areas where they are most needed, the west end and the city. This is mostly due to those areas being zones where, if they are built, they block the view of St Paul’s from some part of London, normally Hampstead and Primrose Hill. Because the demand for office space is so high and the City and the West End cannot supply enough due to height restrictions, developers have looked east, to the Docklands. There are no height restrictions there and there is a lot of cheap land to develop, so
there are a number of high rise developments up or going up, most notably Canary Wharf (Europe’s largest single office complex), and Heron Quays. The highest tower in the area now is One Canada Square at 800ft high

ppl like this women make me angry can't they be happy london gonna have a gr8 skyline. They always have to focus on the negatives. I hate the pessimistic nature of the british :http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/criti...670859,00.html I know its a bit old but the point i'm trying to make is that i HATE the pessimistic nature of britain. Why can't we be more optemistic like the aussies or the yanks.
Intoxication no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #216
London
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29A
Maybe La Defense does not have the height, but who cares!! It is an urban masterpiece!!
110% agree
Old October 29th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #217
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Look at the skyscraperpage diagram of London and Paris here http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?13482126 and it's clear that Canary Wharf has more height than LD (sorry I could only compare the two cities rather than the two clusters). I do think that LD is a much more pleasing cluster to look at on the skyline than CW though. Personally I love the view along the Champs Elisse towards LD, it's amazing with Le Grand Arch in the centre and skyscrapers either side. It's a designed skyline which CW doesn't appear to be. It's just a cluster of skyscrapers roughly the same height, it doesn't create a particularly interesting skyline but it's quite impressive. I much prefer CW at ground level to LD though, in my opinion CW works better and has much more pleasing public spaces like Canada Square and Jubilee Park than LD which had too much concrete for my liking.

Last edited by Andrew; October 29th, 2005 at 08:50 PM.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #218
London
New York

I tried to do that, but Le defense isnt part of paris, which is what people misundertand. For Le Defenses skyline, you have to type in ''France'' in the ''country'' section.
Old October 29th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #219
Mr Bricks

Very nice render London, but couldnīt u have put all the CW towers in the pic?
Old October 29th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #220
Mr Bricks

Btw. Which cluster is nicer at ground level?