daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #141
London
New York

Likes (Received): 0

Yes, but not there - it needs to be in the cluster we already have. You cant have a simple tower in the middle of nowhere that looks like that, everyone would see it. What a nightmare! - But obviousley there are axeptions with LBT!
London no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #142
london-b
βAŇŇĘÐ

Likes (Received): 1345

How far will it be from LBT?
london-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #143
London
New York

Look at this pic. The Beetham Tower it just on the left of the tower at the left edge of the picture. So...off the page.

If you think about it, Beathem is quite a walk away from LBT. This tower will be much worse

Old October 11th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #144
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

It would be nice if this and Beetham are built, because there would likely be more towers proposed between the two of them. They could make a new cluster, hopefully one without height restrictions. And maybe they could make this like a 'plain' cluster, just nice, simple designs to get some good density, and leave the really outstanding, more artistic designs to the city. This place could be real good by 2015, a new London skyline...
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #145
lyonsdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by London
Yes, but not there - it needs to be in the cluster we already have. You cant have a simple tower in the middle of nowhere that looks like that, everyone would see it. What a nightmare! - But obviousley there are axeptions with LBT!
Surely it's not much further away from where Beetham will be than Swiss Re is from T42? And you can't instantly develop a cluster, these things take time...look at Canary Wharf ffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by London
You cant have a simple tower in the middle of nowhere that looks like that, everyone would see it. What a nightmare!
lyonsdown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #146
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Why are you forever wanting to start new clusters, London's gonna be so full of clusters that it's just gonna look messy! Concentrate development in the existing ones. I don't mind a simple tower here on it's own (simple, angular designs would tie in well with the brutalist theatre) but this is a bit too tall in my opinion, shrink it by a third and it would look ok.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #147
Newcastle Guy

London only has 2 main clusters really. If there is more clusters eventually they could link up and London would look even better. Plus they both have height restrictions from LC airport, it would be nice if there was a cluster where you could fit in a nice new tower without getting bitched at by a bunch of twats at an airport who really have a deluded opinion of themselves. I mean, does anyone REALLY give a damn about what they say?
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #148
caw123
Hit the north!

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle kid
London only has 2 main clusters really. If there is more clusters eventually they could link up and London would look even better. Plus they both have height restrictions from LC airport, it would be nice if there was a cluster where you could fit in a nice new tower without getting bitched at by a bunch of twats at an airport who really have a deluded opinion of themselves. I mean, does anyone REALLY give a damn about what they say?
I think the London City airport height restrictions are perfectly fair, it's only 2 miles east of Canary Wharf and the runway points almost directly towards the main cluster at the wharf!

And yes, people do give a damn about what they say.

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #149
London
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsdown
Surely it's not much further away from where Beetham will be than Swiss Re is from T42? And you can't instantly develop a cluster, these things take time...look at Canary Wharf ffs.

What needs to be done, is London's skyline needs to be more concentrated - in only one place. For a city that adopts a strict planning law, it sure is being a tad ambitious with spreading out the skyline when it can hardly fill one tiny dense office district, The City.

And with CW, it was a wise masterplan that lead to be London's first and only office complex. Leave highrises to those places. We dont neccessary want London to become one huge skyscrpaer zone.
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:39 PM   #150
london lad

Likes (Received): 2257

CW has height restrictions & it cant expand much further either. Once NQ & RS, Wood Wharf & Heron West are built then theres no more room to expand. Everywhere else around it is already developed & or has housing. The only other area of development on the isle of dogs is along Marsh wall & along Crossharbour but that'll be about it as the rest is developed & has low rise housing & wouldn't be allowed eslewhere ont he isle of dogs.

As far as the city is concerned the coporationof London will only allow Office buildings so it would be doubtful if you saw resi towers there. So to say tall development should be restricted to those 2 clusters is a bit unrealistic especially for a city thats is almost a thousand sq miles. The area of the Southbank from Vauxhall to LBT has quite a few towers planned along it, this new one, although I like the simple elegant tower I would need to see its effect from other wider views. Dont forget, as has been mentioned this will be very close to a remodelled Kings Reach tower, Beethams proposal & the proposed Wilkinson Eyre tower. Theres also plans for a tower next to Waterloo staion (Elizabeth house) so apart from the City & CW, the Southwark South Bank area which this tower is in has probably the most proposed towers in london.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 11:40 PM   #151
birminghamculture
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

I think its great, London will ahve a wall of skyscrapers along the thames and I ahve to admit, this alone will be unique
birminghamculture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #152
Newcastle Guy

The thames will look really good, i agree.
Old October 12th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #153
jesarm
مدريد / Мадрид / 马德里

Likes (Received): 9

really one of the best skyline of europe

Poll the 7 Spanish classic wonders
jesarm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #154
jesarm
مدريد / Мадрид / 马德里

Likes (Received): 9

I like the Bridge tower, it´s an awesome project, when will it start to be build?

Poll the 7 Spanish classic wonders
jesarm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #155
Day Release
BANNED

Great Thread, London will look superb for the 2012 Games
Day Release no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 10:16 AM   #156
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

That's the great thing about LOndon: Ever evolving and always on the forefront!!
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #157
Newcastle Guy

So, i see Prescott gave the go ahead for potters fields.

You got to admit, it makes the area look like something out of Star wars. And thats not neciseraly a bad thing...
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #158
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 891

WOW! I does look like something out of starwars, i think it´s fantastic! When will these start/end construction
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #159
Rausa
yatta! yatta!

Likes (Received): 18

Potters field looks awesome!
Rausa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #160
Newcastle Guy

Yeah, when is this finished? anyone know? I only posted the pics, so i'm not sure... i think it looks cool. But i doubt most Londoners will. Ah well.