daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #461
intensivecarebear

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyl00b View Post
Not true. I think I recall arguing with you once before, but I feel the need for others sake to correct your inaccurate theories about other peoples reality.

People flee crime. You live in a neighborhood for years, people start getting robbed. Walking down the street, taking the groceries indoors, etc.
When there's zero crime, even the littlest things become big news.
Things start to change.
Stores start getting held up, rules get put in place, hooligans start roaming, people stop going outside. Those who can start leaving.
Somewhere between here and when people get shot it's hard to sell the house. They join public subsidy programs and rent out to hoodlums.
Everyone leaves. Blocks and blocks of houses now say "For Sale" in front of most all of them. The people who rent aren't really working, and are out partying all night and day keeping up those who didn't leave yet and still work.

No one stays in a neighborhood with crime, gangs, or unsavorary neighbors keeping you up all hours of the night. All this makes me wonder about the direction of Europe. How did the transition in some districts move to the "no-go" zones?

Some people leave places like california because that state is running itself out of business. Move to a suburb for taxes and better schools. But what makes those schools better? Culture of crime is always the final straw and the big motivator. I think the millions of displaced refugees in this country know the facts, and it doesn't need some type of academic theories to justify the poor excuse of pulling the race card. And if the people who fled Hurricane Katrina are called refugees, then everyone else is too.

And I'd like to thank the poster who posted the Chicago videos above my post.
So acknowledging that racism played a key role in suburban flight from the 1950s onward is playing the race card? Mind you, there were many black people who could afford to live in nicer neighborhoods or suburban ares during that time, but various subtle and not so subtle tactics were used to prevent that from happening. And these apocalyptic scenarios you mentioned in the beginning of your post doesn't really apply to what I'm talking about, although it does happen but not to an extent where there is a significant state-wide exodus like California. And poor schools have long been a problem in California but that has never stopped huge numbers of people from moving here.

And why are you thanking the person above you for posting the Chicago videos? If you're that easily duped by some lame, bored 'gangstas' playing cam-***** so they can scare white people on youtube, than you have no business lecturing me about "correcting inaccurate theories about other peoples reality". I can picture you now: "oh my god, look at the scary black people! See this totally justifies my argument!!" A real poor attempt at scare tactics. Cabrini Green is infamous not just in Chicago, but the entire country. Mind you it's also been almost entirely demolished and is being redeveloped as of 2009. Maybe you should ask yourself why such nasty and poorly designed housing projects were built in the first place? In short, I don't really see the point of videos like that, because they do not represent all public housing situations or quite frankly the lives of most of the people living under such circumstances who are just normal individuals trying to get by. Since you seem to think you can lecture me on other peoples' reality, maybe you should take your own advice instead of relying on stupid youtube videos.
intensivecarebear no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #462
chrisnyce
the city that made cities

Likes (Received): 0

i agree

Everyone in the projects arent thugs like what the video shown in the Cabrini Green...in that video, all the hoodrats came out at once. Normally, it's just normal people with stray hoodrats in various places. Don't get me wrong, they're there. Sometimes in groups but rarely like the melee portrayed in that video. At least in New York thats how it is although it can get crazy in some projects, and I'm thankful that most of what I witnessed was after it already occured. That video could easily misinform those who come to this board who don't live in the inner city.

Last edited by chrisnyce; November 12th, 2009 at 06:45 AM. Reason: correcting english and adding points
chrisnyce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #463
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

Social Housing in Addis Abeba, Ethiopia.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:55 AM   #464
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Nice images of social housing in Africa. The other place I know with public housing is Cape Town in South Africa.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:11 PM   #465
Concrete Stereo

Likes (Received): 599

Interesting topic,

About the commieblock architecture I can recommend greatly the book "Ideals in Concrete"
Concrete Stereo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 04:29 AM   #466
Woozle

Likes (Received): 5266

Quote:
Mind you, there were many black people who could afford to live in nicer neighborhoods or suburban ares during that time, but various subtle and not so subtle tactics were used to prevent that from happening.
Actually, middle class blacks DID flee en masse from Harlem to brownstone Brooklyn (Bedford-Stuyvesant, Fort Greene), and from there to southeastern Queens. It was black flight to the "suburbia" of the outer boroughs that turned Harlem from the black middle class neighborhood of the 1920's-1930's to a ravaged ghetto.

Middle class flight - whatever the race of those fleeing - is always devastating. Watch the middle class abandon California and metro New York (several hundred thousand households have abandoned both in the last 8 years) and wonder where these two regions are heading.
Woozle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #467
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

California and New York are losing their middle classes? Where are they going?

I thought New York was becoming more middle class, in that traditionally bad areas were becoming gentrified (Harlem being a perfect example)?
Old December 16th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #468
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
California and New York are losing their middle classes? Where are they going?

I thought New York was becoming more middle class, in that traditionally bad areas were becoming gentrified (Harlem being a perfect example)?
Gentrification is happening in almost every major city in the US. Which is good since it lowers crime rate plus the social problems that bring with it.

One famous example would be Cabrini Green in Chicago. Its public housing is one of the most notorious in The US and the crime rate there is high.

Start of gentrification

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #469
Minato ku

Publig housing in the 19th arrondissement of inner Paris

[IMG]http://*************************/paris/jpgs/herold_apartments_jm040209_2.jpg[/IMG]
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #470
bartjee

Likes (Received): 25

The Netherlands, Amsterdam

This is IJburg, a new neighbourhood in Amsterdam. It´s still u/c.

In 2003.

bartjee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #471
DarkLite
vital

Likes (Received): 15762

I wonder how that neighborhood will look like in five years
DarkLite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #472
Elmo

Likes (Received): 11

In what aspect?
Elmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #473
Osaka H

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post
I wonder how that neighborhood will look like in five years
It'll look freaking awesome. They're still gonna make 4 islands, 1 of them is supposed to have a huge mall and stuff!
Osaka H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #474
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4541

Good architecture altough it's too dense for a suburban district for my taste... Is it even a public housing anyway It looks rather expensive.
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #475
DarySLO

Likes (Received): 55

Some ugly commie blocks in Ljubljana. District has name Fužine.

And some commie blocks in Maribor:

These ones are much better now, they are all renovated and sidewalks are renovated too.
DarySLO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #476
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6216

Ijburg looks great, I love how dense it is.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #477
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3245

In the news today, Red Road flats in Glasgow, Scotland... soon to be demolished, and currently housing asylum seekers. Three residents (Russian Asylum seekers) just tied themselves together and jumped out to their deaths in a suicide pact

I'm sure it's a horrible place to live, but I think demolishing these beasts is a travesty
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #478
DarySLO

Likes (Received): 55

They are not so ugly and they are huge. It will be shame if they demolised these tower blocks.
DarySLO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #479
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18871

Those Glasgow buildings are quite impressive actually.

Those Amsterdam-IJburg pics are definately not social housing - I bet most of them sell in excess of $ 400,000.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #480
Minato ku

A recent public housing building in inner Paris.