daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2014, 06:07 AM   #581
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Some major American cities, like Chicago, St. Louis, Philadelphia, and Baltimore, tore down most of their dilapidated public housing highrises in favour of townhouses. What would happen if almost all of New York City's public housing highrises were replaced with townhouses? I know this may sound crazy, and I can't imagine that scenario happening. Don't want to end up answering my own question, though.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.

Last edited by Jim856796; March 17th, 2014 at 06:15 AM.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #582
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

You mean like that North American suburban sprawl, or actual townhouses?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #583
Jim856796

Chicago and those other cities had to put mixed-income townhouses on the (former) sites of their public housing projects, and density was reduced. Here is an example:

Old highrise getting torn down in background, newly-built mixed-income townhouses in front.

Last edited by Jim856796; March 17th, 2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old March 17th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #584
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

New public housing in Toronto:

image hosted on flickr

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...s-KPMB)/page28

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=135459001

http://cplc-51division.blogspot.ca/p...t-toronto.html

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; March 17th, 2014 at 08:41 PM.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:23 AM   #585
latagaw

Likes (Received): 0

public housing or residential estates are an advantages in reducing informal settlers in urban areas.
latagaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #586
smb95

Likes (Received): 65

Red Road Flats, Glasgow

Some pictures I've taken of the flats: April 12th 2013
image hosted on flickr
93 and 123 by Steven Mark Browning, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
10-20-30 Petershill Court by Steven Mark Browning, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
10 Red Road Court by Steven Mark Browning, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr
Closed off by Steven Mark Browning, on Flickr

February 24th 2013

March 1st 2014
Red Net Flats Slab block by Steven Mark Browning, on Flickr
Un-netted by Steven Mark Browning, on Flickr
Red Road by Steven Mark Browning, on Flickr
The strip-out quintiple by Steven Mark Browning, on Flickr
63 Petershill Drive by Steven Mark Browning, on Flickr
63 Petershill Drive by Steven Mark Browning, on Flickr

June 12th 2012

May 21st 2009

mrsmartman, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by smb95; June 8th, 2014 at 12:36 AM.
smb95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #587
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5140

Don't forget all of Le Corbusier's Unité d'Habitation:

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

ThatOneGuy liked this post
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #588
GM
Vivre haut

Likes (Received): 5819

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGA196 View Post
Don't forget all of Le Corbusier's Unité d'Habitation:

I live in this one.
GM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:34 PM   #589
smb95

Likes (Received): 65

Sighthill, Glasgow

Sighthill is an area in Glasgow. 10 towerblocks were built in the 1960s, 5 in Fountainwell, 5 in Pinkston. Fountainwell also had some 5-storey maisonette flats built at the same time. Each towerblock is 20-storeys high. In 2005 the GHA announced their intention to demolish the flats in Fountainwell. The first two blocks came down in mid-2008, the remaining Fountainwell blocks coming down in November 2009. The maisonettes were demolished from 2009-2012. Originally two blocks in Pinkston were to be kept and refurbished, with the other three Pinkston blocks be demolished if a buyer couldn't be found. In September 2012, however, the Glasgow City Council announced that the flats would all be demolished for regeneration, pushed forward by the failed bid for Glasgow to host 2018 Youth Olympics. Despite losing the bid, all the flats are due to be demolished regardless. The first Pinkston block to be demolished was 16+18 Pinkston Drive in June 2013, the second block, 17+19 Pinkston demolished September 2013 and the third block, 3+5 Pinkston Drive demolished April 2014. The two remaining blocks are 31+35 and 32+34 Pinkston Drive.

Pinkston

Fountainwell

smb95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #590
moderntm

Likes (Received): 973

Ashgabat white marble housing estates, Turkmenistan.

maksnikiforov, geometarkv liked this post
moderntm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #591
Jim856796

Delete post.

Last edited by Jim856796; December 21st, 2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old November 30th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #592
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5140

Although not commie blocks, this is one of the several projects that have been rising in Guatemala City aimed for students or low budget families.

Here's another one:

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

Avangard-55 liked this post
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #593
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post

I live in this one.
What is it like? Is it in good shape?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 10:55 PM   #594
GM
Vivre haut

Likes (Received): 5819

Yes, it's in pretty good shape. This one was the second to be built (after the one in Marseilles) and opened in 1955.
My grandparents were among the very first occupiers and stayed there for a few years.
Last year, I bought myself a duplex appartment located on the two last floors. I have some great views over Nantes.
There is still the nursery school on the roof. There are 294 flats in the building and half of them are social housing.

Here is a recent pic taken by myself from the car park (you can't see the different structures on the roof on this pic) :

GM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2014, 11:56 PM   #595
Jim856796

I found an example of a New York City highrise public housing complex being torn down and replaced by townhouses (or were planned to): The Prospect Plaza Houses in the Ocean Hill neighborhood of Brooklyn. Opened in 1974, one of the buildings were torn down in 2005, and the remaining three were torn down in 2014.

A New York Times article from February 2010: "New York Plans to Topple Public Housing Towers"

Old June 14th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #596
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hong Kong Estate Gallery
Tsz Wan Shan Resettlement Estate

Tsz Wan Shan Tsz Man Estate, Block 66, is Hong Kong's largest public housing numbers, the case of a fifth type of resettlement buildings designed 4 wings, each with more hundred units. Picture taken in 1997, when 66 is ready demolition, reconstruction currently at chee Kang village five new cross-shaped building.

Tsz Man Village cards - 1997

he largest number in the history of public housing - 66

Block 61 - 65
42 small flats (2-3 ppl), 113-6 medium flats (4-5 ppl) and 119 large flat (6-7 flats) per floor: 1,394 ppl
15 floors: 20,000 ppl

Tsz Wan Shan Tsz Ching Estate 1995vs2004 ~ 1995 年 48 and 49 seats, etc. There are 4 types resettlement buildings with 16 floors, while in 2004 it becomes dominated by a 40-story Harmony ~

Is the fifth type of resettlement buildings designed Tsz Wan Shan Tsz Village 1-3 seat to 1995

[IMG]http://i30.************/vynpzs.jpg[/IMG]

The red and yellow blocks are shown in the above photo.

https://www.facebook.com/hkestate

VITORIA MAN liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:54 PM   #597
mrsmartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Public Housing Gallery
Chai Wan Resettlement Estate

The audience referred to the Old Block 15 Chai Wan resettlement area, Pictured (type IV resettlement blocks) to 1999

Hing Wah (II) Estate

Population: 8,400

http://blog.xuite.net/lwy33339/hkblog
Old June 18th, 2015, 11:53 AM   #598
DeveloperDubai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

this is very nice, Please look to india especially in mumbai to see the worst public housingd(in dharavi)
DeveloperDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 04:43 PM   #599
mrsmartman

Quote:
I see the old Kwai Chung Estate

Kwai Chung Estate maps, divided into two areas of management:

A child living in Sha Tin, Kwai Chung for public housing is little contact with most of the time just drove past, peep face Kwai Chung from the compartment. The self-contained corner of Kwai Chung Estate, keep in Mid-levels, for me, every day will drive past the Castle Peak Road near Tai Wo Hau petrol station looked only aware of the existence of this public housing estates.
Until 1995, Kwai Chung Estate in my mind a little more impressed by the vivid picture becomes blurred. The reason is that when there are a lot of news about the Kwai Chung Estate, a large top floor ceiling 17 a unit suddenly collapse, led to a chain media coverage, extended to the progress of HD clearance problem Kwai Chung Estate, Kwai Chung Estate updated why relatively well house but faster eligible for clearance and so on. At that time, Kwai Chung Estate, Block 29-31, 36-42 seat has been demolished.
Kwai Chung Estate in 1964--1965 years completed in phases, a total of 42 buildings with a total of about 9,100 residential units, all belong to the third type of resettlement 8-storey building, the central corridor design, public bathrooms and toilets, public housing and other plumbing then in the 1980s large-scale conversion, demolition toilet floor projecting part, to recover part of the unit to reset the toilet. In the 1990s, the Kwai Chung Estate has three decades of weakness and reveals, based on curiosity, in 1995, the first time I set foot in Kwai Chung Estate, take a look at this article was described as dilapidated housing estates. I look in the upper corner of the street location near the village of 17, this was widely reported "shanties", when there were engineering workers are on the rooftop, it is estimated that repair the floor, to prevent water seepage under rainy again. Directional seat again after I first went and took 12 photographs, it was the summer of 1995.
The third type of residential building plan:

17 Block - 1995

Three years later, the fall of 1998, Kwai Chung Estate remaining three types of resettlement buildings has not yet started to rebuild, one afternoon after school, I went to the Kwai Chung Estate took the camera again, starting again from the seat 17, and this time found the Block 12 is the installation of a large steel frame, the whole floor on the fourth floor of the unit was withdrawn through a word and an iron work, see also feel "tooth smoke." I took a few photos, and then along the upper corner of the street to go to see it down, want to make a film on record. He has been taking from several dozen to twenty, in the first 27 before I stopped, and I saw that the reconstruction completed in spring, summer, okra floor side by side with the front of the 27, the new Harmony met three decades of resettlement blocks by eight into thirty layers of high buildings, is a contrasting picture of the times.
And then went to thirty several area, in Wo Tong Tsui Street corner, they encountered a similar picture, giant gumbo floor meets the first 32, of course, but also recorded. Walk the Kwai Chung Estate for more than an hour later, I met shoot left.
In 2002, the era of digital photography, I again visited and found that all of the old buildings have been demolished, the site is being rebuilt, the building had arranged in my mind as a maze of Kwai Chung Estate has disappeared.
Iron village cards:

The 17 look 13:

16 and 13:

16 and 17 are connected:

12 and 13 are connected:

12 of steel:

Another perspective 12:

10:

The six look 12:

Block 1:

3 and 4:

5 and 6:

6 and Parking:

18:

25:

27:

27 with the new building:

23-26 seat:

28 and 32:

32 and 34:

New and old:

35:

19 and 25:

1995 first came to Kwai Chung Estate, a blink of an eye Nianzai up.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/850576101684460/
Old June 20th, 2015, 05:37 AM   #600
mrsmartman

Quote:
[Map] Kwai Fong Estate, Kwai Fong, the former government low cost housing estates, most people know is their building quality problems caused by poor housing event. The village has 11 buildings completed in the early 1970s, back in the early 80s has severe spalling concrete, among the poor and 6 5 situation, six took the lead in 82 years began its three-year project to replace the concrete continued life. The Block 5 will simply be redeveloped to become 一幢 age less than 14 years of short-lived housing. 1985, 8-11 seat also included 26 public housing roster, the demolition has only ten-year life. Followed by the implementation of the extended redevelopment program in 88 years, the rest of the building has been fully clearance Kwai Fong Estate in or before 1997, the most "longevity" of 一幢 nor to 25 years, becoming among a fairly short-lived history of public housing estates. The picture shows the early 1970s analog estates plan when completed, is a new government when the typical house design, building height connected orderly, 6, and 11 of them are more commonly known as the "Arc de Triomphe" vehicle-channel design. Note: Print Village diagram drawn by the special page on their own, for reference only, please prevail in all the official information. Photo credit: HA Annual Report

https://www.facebook.com/hkestate