daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #201
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2573

every city has their own piece of history.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #202
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17810

Some cities have a lot longer history than others; some have even successfully preserved that history while others haven't.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #203
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 886

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler View Post
Come on, Napoli was never that real important ^.^ Do you come from there? That would explain your try your attempt to convince us of it.
come on what?

Napoli was never important for you!

It was one of the Mariners Republics...very important for trades...an important port...I also remember you, my dear, that Naples in the 1500 was the second largest city in Europe, after Paris, with 125.000 ab....

so if it is incredibly underrated outside Italy, it is not my fault, but you should read some books before talking...
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #204
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 17

Agra and Benaras (Varanasi)
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #205
Crizzy

Likes (Received): 5

I think Rome or Athens
Crizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #206
funkrush

Likes (Received): 0

Istanbul
funkrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #207
JD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

One of the crappiest thread! So London, Paris ....are historically important cities! I bet most non-Europeans don't even know the history of colonial London, far-less one happened before!

Last edited by JD; April 14th, 2007 at 01:40 AM.
JD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #208
lucknowii sky
arre dil pe mat le yaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaastuShastra View Post
Id say India, China, Japan, Persia, Iraq, Greece, Italy, Mexico, Israel, Peru and Egypt have the most historically important cities, with Sumer, India and Egypt being the oldest urban civilizations, and Persia, China and Greece following closely on their heels.

It seems some people mistake familiarity with the history of a city for an assumption that it must have the longest and most notable history - many historians would choose other cities over Rome, London or Athens - western philosophy wasnt the only philosophy developed in the world at the time Athens was at its height - it is mearly the school of thought that gains the most mention in in the Eurosphere. Eastern philosophy has a higher volume of literature within the same timespan, followed by a continuation of its development, and accounted for some of the most notable firsts, such as first systems of atheism (Carvaka/Lokayata), secularism (within Dharmic religion), logic, agnosticim (within the Rig Veda), concept of zero, base ten mathematics, etc.

Heres where my nominations would go:

India

Delhi - built over 4000 years by ever more opulent dynasties, allegedly the site of Indraprastha from the asian Mahabhrata epic, within the middle ages seven consecutive Mughal rulers (richest on the planet) built cities on it, current capital of Republic of India

Patna - formerly known as Pataliputra, capital of the Mauryan dynasty, largest Empire of the time, largest city of the time, twice the size of contemporary Rome, ruled by the first emperor of India, Chandragupta Maurya, and later Asoka Maurya, who was partly responsible for the popularity of Buddhism in Asia

Bodh Gaya - city where Buddha reached enlightenment, has been a place of pilgrimage in the 2500 years since, with a large temple, monestaries, university, etc

Vijaynagara - not as old, but famous for being another of the largest cities in the world at the time about ten times the size of contemporary London, and again probably the richest, with the first Europeans to reach India in the middle ages bringing home stories of street vendors selling buckets of gems and opulent buildings

Varanasi - aka Benares, one of the Indian shrine cities, allegedly the oldest continually inhabited city in the world, dating back to Sumer, Mark Twain wrote "Benaras is older than history, older than tradition, older even than legend and looks twice as old as all of them put together!", not the oldest city in India when accounting for abandoned ones of the Indus Valley Civilization though

Sarnath - city where Buddha delivered his first 'sermon', one of the four main Buddhist pilgrimage sites like Bodh Gaya, home to some of the oldest stupas, home to a tree grown from a sapling cut from the original Bodhi tree under which Buddha was enlightened

Also:

Bejing

Xianyang

Chang'an

Kyoto

Tokyo

Persepolis
why didnt you include agra?
lucknowii sky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #209
taboe
taboe

Likes (Received): 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernao View Post
Sorry but Oriental cities are very old, very big, very whatever but the global culture is totally western and so the western cities are the ones with the importance in World History.

West invented pretty much everything and, maybe even more important, took their inventions to all the world, all continents - western culture is everywhere (including China): Stock markets, Science, Trains, Coca cola, gunpowder, building, flights, cars, TVs, languages - english spanish portuguese french, Medicins, surgery, architecture, engineering, the pill, etc etc

The inverse is not true and chinese culture did nothing of this and have no role in most of Europe, America, Africa, etc. The same aplies for India, whose roots for european cultures are far to far away and have nothing to do with it, and for Amerindian cultures or african cultures. All the world is becoming Europe and America which is just another Europe.

So for me the most historic cities are...

Important for their role in Classical times and shaping Western civilization, culture, philosophy, politics, religion:
Babylon, Ur, Alexandria
Jerusalem
Athens
Tiro
Rome
Mecca
Istambul

Important in Middle Ages/Renaissance - appearance of science and Europe spreading its culture through all the world, empires:
Lisbon
Toledo/Madrid/Seville
Rome, Genova, Firenze, Milano, Venice, others in Italy
Amsterdam
Paris
London

XVIII-XIX - enlightment, french invasions, politics, empires, science development, medicine:
Paris
London
Viena
Berlin/Munich
Moscow

XX - world wars, space conquest, end of colonial empires, science, TV, internet, cars, flights, skyscrapers, sports,...:
NYC, Washington DC
Berlin
London
Moscow
Tokyo
Paris
That's ridiculous!
Before colonial times, Europe had no influence on any other part of the world whatsoever. Chinese arabic culture, for example, was easily as sophisticated, if not more. Furthermore, most of the inventions up until the 16th century were made in the East, e.g. GUNPOWDER.
And Rome was indeed the capital of a large empire, but so what? Moscow was the capital of a much greater empire, does that make it the most historic city in the world?
And as for our Western values of democracy and freedom... That's because we forced our will onto our colonies. Before we invaded them, they had their own systems...
And nowadays the East has no influence on the West? Are you kidding me? Sure there are Mc Donald's in Japan, but there's also Manga here and Sony and Honda, Mitsubishi,etc..
taboe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #210
Hanshin-Tigress
BANNED

Likes (Received): 110

Before colonial times, Europe had no influence on any other part of the world whatsoever. Chinese arabic culture, for example, was easily as sophisticated, if not more. Furthermore, most of the inventions up until the 16th century were made in the East, e.g. GUNPOWDER.
And Rome was indeed the capital of a large empire, but so what? Moscow was the capital of a much greater empire, does that make it the most historic city in the world?
And as for our Western values of democracy and freedom... That's because we forced our will onto our colonies. Before we invaded them, they had their own systems...
And nowadays the East has no influence on the West? Are you kidding me? Sure there are Mc Donald's in Japan, but there's also Manga here and Sony and Honda, Mitsubishi,etc..[/QUOTE]

But Manga started off of disney comics(look it up) And the car was invented in the west...in germany i believe. I think the place with the most influence in the world is USA and alot of the things we use today are made by them. I am living in Osaka right now and all i hear is american music, watch american movies, people that speak english are 'cool' etc. The world is becoming 'americanized' But I agree that many westerners are wayy to biased in their selection of cities. I think both china and japan have very beautiful rich ancient history! People learn from other people it's not like athens invented 'western civilization' they got many things from the egyptians and other peoples. The thing about us here in the east...our history is like intact..that is china is still China and japan japan. Many places in europe have been conquered and reconquered so many times and mixing of different cultures/languages.
Hanshin-Tigress no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #211
MNL
!eccentric!

MANILA - 3 cultures in one city!
MNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #212
Mahratta
Ayatollah

The ignorance in this thread....

I would say that Varanasi (Benares) would be it...
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:37 AM   #213
premier
I love Piotrkowska ;*

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCRIZZY View Post
I think Rome or Athens
My thought exacly

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkrush View Post
Istanbul
Now when you mentioned it. Yes, Stanbul is very historical. The only city that was the capital of 3 empires

premier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:42 AM   #214
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier View Post
My thought exacly

Now when you mentioned it. Yes, Stanbul is very historical. The only city that was the capital of 3 empires
No, there were plenty of other cities...but just not from a Eurocentric point of view, savvy?

Actually, there were others in Europe itself!
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:31 AM   #215
premier
I love Piotrkowska ;*

Examples? Couse I relly don't know what cities you are on about

Old May 1st, 2007, 03:00 AM   #216
Mahratta
Ayatollah

example:

Delhi was the capital of the Ghurid Sultanate, then the Mughal Empire (for a while), then the British Indian Empire (in 1911).

Beijing - as Zhongdu under the Jurchen Jin, as Khanbaliq under the Mongols, then the Ming Dynasty capital, then the Qing Dynasty.

Ujjain - capital of the Avanti dynasty, Gupta capital (under Chandragupta II), capital of the Maratha Empire.

Now do you know?
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:24 AM   #217
premier
I love Piotrkowska ;*

Alright, thanks. Bt did those Empires relly have such a big influence on the world or ther local area?

Old May 1st, 2007, 05:00 PM   #218
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier View Post
Alright, thanks. Bt did those Empires relly have such a big influence on the world or ther local area?
Both. India and China were two of the most influential areas of the world, and anything that happened there effected the rest of the world as well. People dont really realize sometimes.
Old May 5th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #219
Tharpe

Likes (Received): 1

1:Jeruslem
2:Rome
3:London
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #220
Ekumenopolis
Neon overdose

Likes (Received): 2943

1 - Rome
2 - Athens
3 - Beijing
4 - Jerusalem
5 - Benares/Alexandria (Egypt)
Ecumenopolis: "The city of the future, covering most of the habitable surface of the Earth as a continuous system, forming an universal settlement, the limits determined by climatic constraints and the extent of fairly flat land."
Ekumenopolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
history