daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #221
m-man

Likes (Received): 601

i think sana'a(yemen) is one of the most historic
Physical and Historical
Located in the southwestern tip of the Arabian Peninsula, Yemen's earliest excavated village settlements are dated to c. 5000 BC and the first urban settlements on the eastern deserts date from around 1200 BC. Sana'a lies in a fertile basin over two thousand meters above sea level, on a major communication axis that crosses the mountains of Yemen. As part of the African Horn where the Red Sea meets the Indian Ocean, it is often described as the ancestral heartland of the Arabs

Last edited by m-man; June 26th, 2007 at 02:53 AM.
m-man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #222
bonivison

Likes (Received): 49

Beijing is of course the one of Oriental culture
this is the forbidden city by sattelite

this is a section of the Great Wall in Beijing

then Rome should be the one of western culture
besides,Kairo Paris London are great also
bonivison no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #223
Daryae_Abi

Likes (Received): 7

Esfahan, I.R. Iran -- the cradle of civilization
Clever, sneaky, cheap, bastard people but a lovely city

[IMG]http://i10.************/4kcqkyh.jpg[/IMG]

Home of the world's first arch structure:

[IMG]http://i18.************/4mv27fp.jpg[/IMG]

Home of Ferdosi:

[IMG]http://i16.************/4uczo1x.jpg[/IMG]

Home of Naghshe Jahan square:

[IMG]http://i9.************/52w4mcm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i14.************/645338g.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i15.************/6cxekv9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i18.************/5z55z7r.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i12.************/4v8mkcw.jpg[/IMG]

And countless historical mosques and churches:

[IMG]http://i9.************/623z03q.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i14.************/4mspe05.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i14.************/4u9me08.jpg[/IMG]

And Esfahan is timeless.
It was a hub during the old Iranian empire, and remained a hub during the Islamic empire, all the way to just 300 years ago. 3000 years or so that Esfahan was a world city. Can any other city say that?

Last edited by Daryae_Abi; July 30th, 2007 at 08:08 AM.
Daryae_Abi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #224
Istanbullu
Made in Turkey

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolist View Post
cairo, istanbul, athens, rome were the most impressive imo.
some cities in india and china are historically great.

I second that...
Istanbullu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 02:07 AM   #225
Filipe_Teixeira

Likes (Received): 850

Lisbon of corse.. This people don't meet Lisbon..

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=349411

Lisboa
Filipe_Teixeira no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:29 AM   #226
tuga14
_tuga14_

Likes (Received): 132

I put some photos about Lisbon for you know it better

Lisbon - Ancient Districts

[/QUOTE]

I hope you like it!

Last edited by tuga14; August 21st, 2007 at 03:36 AM.
tuga14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #227
Ondas
LISBON Metro Area

Likes (Received): 10

Lisbon is of course the most historic city

Last edited by Ondas; August 26th, 2007 at 02:04 PM.
Ondas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #228
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondas View Post
Lisbon it's of course the most historic city
I like Lisbon but I don't think is the most historic city
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #229
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-man View Post
i think sana'a(yemen) is one of the most historic
Physical and Historical
Located in the southwestern tip of the Arabian Peninsula, Yemen's earliest excavated village settlements are dated to c. 5000 BC and the first urban settlements on the eastern deserts date from around 1200 BC. Sana'a lies in a fertile basin over two thousand meters above sea level, on a major communication axis that crosses the mountains of Yemen. As part of the African Horn where the Red Sea meets the Indian Ocean, it is often described as the ancestral heartland of the Arabs

wow....
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #230
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
Athens - in ancient times, this was the leading cultural and intellectual centre on the planet. Much of "western civilization" has its origins there.

Rome - capital of the Roman Empire. Major influence on the development of government, law, military, architecture, and many other aspects of Western life.

London - home to some of the most famous Kings and Queens in history, spanning the Saxon, Norman, Medićval, Tudor, Stuart, Georgian and Victorian periods. The parliamentary model of democratic government was formed there. It was also the centre of the Industrial Revolution, and capital of the largest and most widespread empire in modern history. It survived the Great Fire of London, numerous plagues, invasions, rebellions, and of course the devastating bomb attacks of World War II.
Why London?
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #231
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

"Why London?"? He gave his reasons in the post. And he is allowed that opinion. Will has explained himself once, he shouldn't have to explain himself again just because a. You don't think London is historical enough and b. You are ignorant of London's history.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #232
tuga14
_tuga14_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post
I like Lisbon but I don't think is the most historic city
No,Lisbon is one of the most historic cities, Is the 2nd oldest city in Europe, at the 1st is Athens
Old August 25th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #233
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Rome has the biggest and most important archeological site in the world.

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pincio; August 25th, 2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old August 25th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #234
tuga14
_tuga14_

I like very much Roma it´s a very wonderfull city, with history and ancient too
Some day I would like go there
Old August 25th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #235
Jedrzej

Likes (Received): 318

1. Rome
2. Kraków
3. Paris
4. Florence
5. Prague
6. London
7. Warsaw
8. Budapest
9. Vilnius
10. Tallinn
Jedrzej no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #236
Arjuch

Likes (Received): 0

edit

Last edited by Arjuch; December 27th, 2007 at 05:06 PM.
Arjuch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #237
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

My Top Five Most Important Ancient Cities

I don't want to put the modern cities that exist today. The modern cities may played a large role to our civilization of today but the Seven Lists I made is where the real civilizations began and later adapted by us.

1. Thebes - the capital of Ancient Egypt. Many ancient cities and monuments surrounds such as the famous pyramids, the Sphinx, Valley of the Kings. It is home of Luxor and Karnak Temple (it is still the largest temple complex ever made on earth after 3000 years). They created the first true advanced civilization ever existed besides Sumer. This is where geometry and precision timing were invented. Medicine started here. Some scholars think that Egyptian Hieroglyphs where the first true writings in history but some say its the Sumerians. This is still being debated. The first large scale Civil Engineering started here and that leads to many machines invented such as the ramps and levers. The first scientific method was also made here. And of course, who never heard of the "papyrus". Astronomy also started here. Irrigation, the system that made farming more productive due to minerals coming from the river water (which is the Nile River), was also invented here.

2. Eridu - closed number two. The religion capital of Sumer or the Sumerian civilization. The heart of Mesopotamia. This is where the most important invention ever made, the wheel. The first true legal and administrative system were made in this civilization complete with courts and jails and even government records. Besides Egypt, Arithmetic was invented and developed here. The term called "city states" was also invented here. Some say military formations were invented here and even the first formal school system. Their system was later adapted by the Babylonians and later by the Persians.

3. Xi'an - the capital of the longest and most complex civilization of the world. Some scholars say that agriculture was first invented here. The Traditional Chinese Medicine such as Acupuncture and herbal medicines were pre-dated on First Millenium BC. They invented the first time-keeping devices which was later adapted by the West. The first flying device such as kite and chinese lantern was invented here. The first calculator, which is the abacus, was invented here. The greatest invention that was ever made in China was the papermaking, compass, gunpowder and printing. The first Chinese Empire has the most advanced weapons on their time. One of them is the crossbow. The Great Wall of China is still the longest structure ever made and that leads the Barbarians such as the Huns and Goths to go to Europe and destroy the Great Roman Empire. If Romans could have just created such walls, the empire will surely still exist longer.

4. Athens - the cradle of the Western Civilization. It is where democracy was made. Ironically, its rival Sparta, was the first True Military Government was made and some scholars say that it was later adapted in the System of Communism. Athens was named after Athena - the goddess of defensive warfare. It is where the scientific method was developed to be used and adapted today. The Greek Philosophy is still adapted today and its mythology is still being discussed in schools worldwide. Thanks to Alexander the Great, the Greek civilization flourished through Central Asia, Egypt and Asia Minor. It was later adapted by the Romans and later, by the French and the Americans and the Western World.

5. Persepolis and Susa - the capital and the home of the Persian Emperor, the heart of Persian Empire. This is where the first Human Rights was adapted. The first Empire that adapts diversified culture. They are founders of algebra. They discovered alcohol. The invented the first wind-powered machines. Qanat, the first water management system that was used to provide water to human settlements and irrigation, was invented and developed here.

6. Rome - during ancient time, it was called the light of the world. If Athens invented the Western Philosophies, Rome made the Western Culture. The Collosseum, after 2000 years, is still the model of modern stadiums today. The Senate, which was adapted by Greece, was more advanced. They adapted the road system structures which spread all across Europe, Asia Minor and North Africa. The Aqueduct System is still advance even in today's standards. the crane system was invented here. Bathhouses, was not invented by Romans but they developed it to become more advanced and was even adapted today. Many military mechanical and civil engineering was made here.

7. Jerusalem - the city that wanted by everyone for thousands of years. Many called it the Holy Land, the Land of Cana. It is the city that makes men mad. The reason of the holy wars from crusaders to today's Israel and Muslim conflict. Many religious icons walked and died here. Many stories from the Christian Holy Bible, Muslim's Koran and the Jewish Bible (Tanakh) were originated here. This is where the Judaism, Catholicism and Islam started - Thanks to Abraham and his followers. In terms of religion, there is no doubt that this is the most historical city in the world.

Last edited by Gaeus; August 29th, 2007 at 01:20 AM.
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #238
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

I have no idea what city is the 'most historic'
but these are some amazing pictures
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #239
Jedrzej

Likes (Received): 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by europe! View Post

If you put Florence at 4th where is Antwerp than ?

There where both THE renaissance cities. So why do you put Florence at 4th and Antwerp not even in top 10, actually the whole list is a bit of nonsense but still ... explain.
Because for me Antwerp isn't a historic city. In Poland nobody heard about it as a historic city.... I can also ask where is Kraków, Warsaw, Vilnius etc. on many lists. Don't think that Antwerp is the the hub of the Europe and everybody have to think that it's the best in everything.....

Last edited by Jedrzej; August 29th, 2007 at 01:41 PM.
Jedrzej no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #240
Arjuch

Likes (Received): 0

edit

Last edited by Arjuch; December 27th, 2007 at 05:07 PM.
Arjuch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
history