daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #241
Jedrzej

Likes (Received): 318

No, for me Antwerp isn't a historic city, and Florence is. And where is your list?? Can I find Kraków, Warsaw or Vilnius on it??
Jedrzej no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #242
Arjuch

Likes (Received): 0

How old is Antwerp ?
Excavations have shown that there was certainly habitation on the bend in the river as long ago as the Gallo-Roman period (2nd or 3rd century A.D.). wLike many Flemish cities Antwerp grew up around two settlements : the ‘aanwerp’ or ‘alluvial mound’ from which the city probably derives its name, and Caloes, 500 meters further south. A fortification was built on the mound around the seventh century. Christianization also began in that period. In the ninth century, when Antwerp became part of Lorraine, that ‘castellum’ was destroyed by the Norman's.

The present-day Steen still comprises remains of its tenth-century replacement. At the end of the tenth century Antwerp became a margraviate (a border province) of the Holy Roman Empire. The border was the River Scheldt. The County of Flanders lay on the other side. In the twelfth century Saint Norbertus founded St. Michael’s Abbey on Caloes. The canons of the little church that had stood there then moved to the northern nucleus and founded a new parish there around a Chapel of Our Lady - the first forerunner of the Cathedral.

The city, which was now part of the Duchy of Brabant, continued to expand in concentric circles with successive bulwarks which are still identifiable in the street pattern. A first economic boom followed in the first half of the fourteenth century. Antwerp became the most important trading and financial centre in Western Europe; its reputation was based largely on its seaport and wool market.

The statue of Brabo on Antwerp's market square.In 1356 the city was annexed to the County of Flanders and lost very many privileges, partly to Bruges’ advantage. Fifty years later the political and economic tide turned again and the run-up to the Golden Age began, when Antwerp became a metropolis of world class at every level : a kind of sixteenth-century Manhattan. It was this centre of trade and culture which Florentijn Lodovico Guicciardini described as ‘the loveliest city in the world’. The most famous names from that age are : the painters Quinten Metsys and Bruegel, the printer Plantijn, the humanists and scientists Lipsius, Mercator, Dodoens and Ortelius.

However, in the second half of that century the city was the focus of the politico-religious struggle between the Protestant North and Catholic Spain and as such it was stricken by a series of calamitous events: the iconoclasm (1566), the Spanish Fury (1576) and finally the Fall of Antwerp (1585). After the Fall the city again came under the rule of Philip II and the Northern Netherlands closed off the Scheldt. From an economic point of view this was a disaster. To make matters worse, it was not only the Protestants who fled the city but also the commercial and intellectual elite. Of the city’s 100.000 inhabitants in 1570, by 1590 no more than about 40.000 remained.
Yet the city continued to flourish culturally until the mid-seventeenth century with painters like Rubens, Van Dyck, Jordaens and Teniers, the sculptor families Quellin and Verbrugghen, printers like Moretus, the famous Antwerp harpsichord builders, etc., etc.

Inside the typical "Vlaaikensgang".There is little of cheer to recount about Antwerp between 1650 and the nineteenth century. The Scheldt remained closed to traffic and the metropolis became a provincial town. Under Austrian rule (1715-1792) Joseph II tried to free the river by military force, but the plan misfired. In 1795, under French occupation, it succeeded but this time the ships encountered an English blockade. This was hardly surprising since Napoleon regarded the Port of Antwerp as ‘a pistol pointed at the heart of England’. Whilst it is true that Antwerp owes the beginnings of a modern port to that French period (1792-1815), at the same time the city’s cultural heritage fell prey to art plundering and destruction on a scale rarely seen before. There were even plans to pull down the Cathedral.

After the fall of Napoleon at Waterloo (1815), there followed a short-lived reunification with the Northern Netherlands and an equally short period of prosperity which ended with the Belgian Revolution (1830) and once again the closure of the Scheldt. It was reopened, this time definitively, in 1863. Then Antwerp’s third great hey-day could begin. Apart from interruptions during the two world wars, Antwerp has experienced steady economic growth in the twentieth century. This gave rise to a new cultural high point and international prestige in 1993 when Antwerp was nominated Cultural Capital of Europe : the recognition of historical and modern-day riches in which you too can share.

So as you can see it has been the center of the world for a time and it had alot of artists and scientists and it has been alot under occupation by great european empires so it is definetly a historic city !!
Arjuch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #243
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Likes (Received): 151

What's the meaning of "historic"? It is a synonym of "old", "ancient" or it refers to the number of ancient ruins and archaeological sites in the city?
Pincio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #244
Arjuch

edit

Last edited by Arjuch; December 27th, 2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #245
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

"Historic" refers to being renowned or important in history.

When I think of ancient things, Antwerp is not one of the first that pops into mind...
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #246
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

So the most historic city, in my opinion, are Athens, Rome, Istanbul.
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #247
Arjuch

edit

Last edited by Arjuch; December 27th, 2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #248
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by europe! View Post
It's not because you don't knwo it that it isn't a historic city ...
for ex: if Antwerp would lay in Tuscany or the provence it would be very popular or well known !

btw: I like Tuscany !!!!
I speak about Europe, because I know well the european cities. Antwerp is famous for art, Athens is famous for its history.
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #249
Arjuch

correct, but i am not saying Antwerp is like Athens. I'm saying it had a great history cause some people one the forum are saying its not.
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #250
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Quote:

correct, but i am not saying Antwerp is like Athens. I'm saying it had a great history cause some people one the forum are saying its not.
Ah, ok
Old August 30th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #251
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
It's not because you don't knwo it that it isn't a historic city ...
It's history - how can you not know if it is historic or not?

The argument is which city is the "most" historic, and Antwerp most certainly isn't a contender.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #252
Arjuch

lol, I am going to say this for the last time, Antwerp is not the MOST historic city !!!!
Old August 30th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #253
Jedrzej

Quote:
while Antwerp was the economical center of the WORLD.
Certainly not world and not even Europe. Economical center for my part of Europe was Gdańsk, which was also one of the biggest cities in Europe in XVII century I can say that you don't know a lot of history. You know only history of your part of Europe, and totaly ignore Central and West. It's a very big mistake. BTW, Gdańsk is also one of "most historic city".
And calm down. Antwerp probably is a very nice city, but as I told. It isn't a hube of Europe and never was. It was a very important city, I know, but in Poland we had Gdańsk which was (and is) our main harbour and nobody was interested in Antwerp.

Last edited by Jedrzej; August 30th, 2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #254
Arjuch

edit

Last edited by Arjuch; December 27th, 2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #255
Arjuch

edit

Last edited by Arjuch; December 27th, 2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #256
Boeing!

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post
I speak about Europe, because I know well the european cities. Antwerp is famous for art, Athens is famous for its history.
Greece not Athens.

Athens wasn't the center of the ancient greece,It wasn't the "Rome" of the period.
Boeing! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 02:10 PM   #257
EvanG

Likes (Received): 132

Let's just agree that neither Antwerp of krakow have anything to do in a list like this although they're very nice cities.
EvanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:50 AM   #258
Jedrzej

But opposite to Antvwerp, Kraków have got 8 mln tourists/year and it's the most fashionable city in the world according to the Orbitz.com. And it's just the beginning. Kraków is famous for it's history. I think that 8 mln people can't be wrong.
I never heard anything like that about Antverp...
Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:05 PM   #259
EvanG

Likes (Received): 132

yes, and nobody over here hears anything like that about Krakow while we do hear the same kind of things about Antwerp. And the dutch hear the same things about Amsterdam, the danish about Copenhagen, the swedish about Stockhom, etc.... All beautiful cities with a rich history but not exactly a second Rome or Istanbul.
EvanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 07:01 AM   #260
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Antwerp the most historic city?!?! C'mon, we are talking about the "MOST" historic cities in the world. I know people patronized their own cities. It doesn't mean you have to be biased about it.

Tags
history